Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,778 members, 7,866,036 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 10:29 AM

Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner:: UNN - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner:: UNN (11077 Views)

LASU Vs IBADAN POLY : Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: IBADAN POLY / UNILORIN--FUNAAB: Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: FUNAAB / OAU--ABU ZARIA: Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: OAU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner:: UNN by PrinceJustice(m): 2:55pm On Dec 21, 2013
Oluwacolded: @prince justice what happened to june 12 election did it count?

It counted, Abiola won. But what did the followers do after Gen. Babangida (Rtd.) made Abiola's victory, their (the followers) victory, null and void?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner:: UNN by Oluwacolded: 3:00pm On Dec 21, 2013
Prince Justice:

It counted, Abiola won. But what did the followers do after Gen. Babangida (Rtd.) made Abiola's victory, their (the followers) victory, null and void?
how did it count? Was he ever recorded as a once president in Nigeria?

Did the followers reinstated him?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner:: UNN by anpaf: 3:03pm On Dec 21, 2013
Maybe you can solidify your knowledge in. I can't keep it to myself. Maybe the free aptitude tests on this site can help you improve your knowledge and prepare for interview. check here
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner:: UNN by PrinceJustice(m): 3:04pm On Dec 21, 2013
Oluwacolded: how did it count? Was he ever recorded as a once president in Nigeria?

Did the followers reinstated him?
I Said:
It counted, Abiola won (the election). But what did the followers do after Gen. Babangida (Rtd.) made Abiola's victory, their (the followers) victory, null and void?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner:: UNN by Nobody: 3:04pm On Dec 21, 2013
chynazom:
I must not argue or talk 'foul'...as long as I don't give the bribe. Most times the accidental discharge event occur when argument ensues.
But how many Nigerians are willing to take the pain of the delay that comes with such bold step?
"oga settle us na" what will be your response to the question? Mind you, If you decline the tone of the arguments will change.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner:: UNN by Oluwacolded: 3:06pm On Dec 21, 2013
Prince Justice:
I Said:
It counted, Abiola won (the election). But what did the followers do after Gen. Babangida (Rtd.) made Abiola's victory, their (the followers) victory, null and void?
if it counted should it be declared null and void? And why wasn't he reinstated?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner:: UNN by boay(m): 3:07pm On Dec 21, 2013
Result.......
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner:: UNN by boay(m): 3:09pm On Dec 21, 2013
Scores 1 KSU

Emmyk

Presentation: 3
Logic: 3
Strength if facts: 3
Persuasiveness: 3
Knowledge:3
TOTAL=15

Promisechild

Presentation: 4
Strength if facts: 2
Persuasiveness: 2
TOTAL:14
.....:..........:...........................................29

Scores 1 UNN
Prince justice

Logic: 4
Persuasiveness: 4
TOTAL=18

Chynazom
Strength if facts: 2
Knowledge:2
TOTAL=12

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner:: UNN by boay(m): 3:17pm On Dec 21, 2013
Scores 2 kSU
Emmyk

Strength of facts: 3
Persuasiveness: 3
TOTAL=15

Promisechild
TOTAL=15

Scores 2 UNN
Prince justice

Persuasiveness: 4
TOTAL=17

Chynazom
TOTAL=14

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner:: UNN by boay(m): 3:24pm On Dec 21, 2013
Grand Total

KSU=59
UNN=61

I hereby pronounce UNN as the winner.

3 Likes

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner:: UNN by promisechild(m): 3:31pm On Dec 21, 2013
Congrat UNN, u guys really tried

Kudos to prince justice and chynazom
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner:: UNN by Emmyk(m): 3:33pm On Dec 21, 2013
Congratulations. Unfortunately, there cant be 2 winners.
It was fun all the way.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner:: UNN by Nobody: 3:38pm On Dec 21, 2013
Great contest! Judges criticism will be highly appreciated. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner:: UNN by PrinceJustice(m): 3:54pm On Dec 21, 2013
promisechild: Congrat UNN, u guys really tried

You guys were wonderful!
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner:: UNN by boay(m): 4:02pm On Dec 21, 2013
Fentoluwa: Great contest! Judges criticism will be highly appreciated. Thank you.

Judges,

Please let us have your comments.
Thanks
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner:: UNN by chynazom(f): 4:27pm On Dec 21, 2013
promisechild: Congrat UNN, u guys really tried

It was a tough one! You guys did well, fun too
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner:: UNN by Odunhana: 7:02pm On Dec 21, 2013
So, we won? That is good...
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner:: UNN by jaybee3(m): 7:01am On Dec 22, 2013
@emmyk
Thanks for taking your time to research on the topic. The only positive for me is the fact that you provided examples of current corruption cases going on in the country.

However, I expected a little bit more information from you especially on how the action/inaction of the corrupt leaders have impacted the common man in Nigeria.
You could have talked about the following as being the direct impact of having bad leaders:
• How hard it is to attract external investors considering Nigeria is one of the big emerging markets
• Low industrial production output as direct result of corruption in the power sector
• Crime, militancy as a direct result of having bad policies
• Rise in the culture of “It’s ok to be corrupt since everyone is corrupt”

I would have also expected you to show how having a good leader can help change course. Citing examples of countries that have a similar past with Nigeria but changed course once they elected a visionary leader would have helped.
I feel you also need to learn how to structure your presentation. You need to improve the flow of your delivery so audience can be easily carried along.

I would have expected you to first define corruption => explain its impact => how the past/current leaders have directly/indirectly helped turn Nigeria into a corruption haven country => cite examples of countries that changed course after electing good leaders => conclusion
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner:: UNN by jaybee3(m): 7:28am On Dec 22, 2013
@promisechild
Thanks for taking your time to research on the topic.

I liked the way you structured your presentation. It was very easy to follow and i enjoyed reading it.

However, I think you should have introduced statistics into your argument rather than listing tons of corruption cases. Something along the line of “In the past X years, no less than XY% of state governors was directly/indirectly involved in one or more corruption cases during their tenure.” would have helped.
It would have enabled you have adequate time to expatiate on how these cases have impacted the common man on the street.

You should have also cited examples of situations where leadership change have helped transform nations that were previously on a wrong course. Doing these will help buttress your point that changing a leader with someone with vision and self determination can help achieve desired result
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner:: UNN by jaybee3(m): 7:59am On Dec 22, 2013
@Prince justice
Thanks for taking your time to research on the topic.

In my opinion, you were by far the best contestant. Your presentation was very easy to follow and i enjoyed reading it over and over again. Your flow was on point and the delivery was effortless. Well done you

I personally believe the leaders are to be accustomed more blame since not all followers are going to be leaders and you only need one leader to effect the much needed change, but you sure managed to convince me that followers are to be weighted equal blame if not more since they don’t seem to see anything wrong in what their elected leaders are doing.

Just a slight negative bro, I would have expected you to drop a few lines on impact of corruption perpetuated by followers such as:
• Moral degradation
• Values and standards
• Future generation taking corruption to higher level if the saying “ our environment helps influence who we are “ is anything to go by

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner:: UNN by Emmyk(m): 1:13pm On Dec 22, 2013
Thanks for the correction. smiley
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner:: UNN by Caracta(f): 2:09pm On Dec 22, 2013
Spot on Jaybee. I totally agree with your observations. Thanks.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner:: UNN by boay(m): 2:16pm On Dec 22, 2013
Judges, thank you
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner:: UNN by PrinceJustice(m): 9:10pm On Dec 22, 2013
Thanks Jaybee, I do appreciate smiley smiley Corrections noted! cheesy cheesy
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner:: UNN by jaybee3(m): 11:45am On Dec 23, 2013
@chynazom

So sorry that this feedback is coming a lil late.

In my opinion, the result of the contest shouldn’t have been close as the chief debater for your school did exceptionally well and in turn helped open a gap that ought not have been closed by KSU.
Having said the above though, I’d still like to thank you for your time.

Going forward, there are a few things I’d like you to work on such as:
• Presentation structure
• Better use of paragraphs and line spacing
• Clear and concise statements
• Better understanding of topic
• Introduction of facts and stats to aid argument

I also felt you contradicted yourself a bit with the SSCE analogy

“Doubt that? Let me ask this: have you ever imagined the kind of damage is done when some parents give their wards money to pay for special centres when they are about taking external exams like SSCE? If this 900 out of 1000 students taking the exams are supported by their own parents to engage in cheating, believe me a seed has already been sown in the hearts of these 900. They are made to believe that there is nothing actually wrong in cheating sometimes, this seed geminates and carried into the University and even further into life after school. You can imagine the rest of the scenario.
Another thing we unconsciously do as a people that aids corruption is to idolize certain wrong achievement. “

Do you realise the parents in the scenario above are the leaders and you’ve inadvertently accustomed blame to them. Children are meant to follow instructions of elders and if their respective parents are asking them to partake in exam malpractices then surely the blame has to be on the parents (leaders).

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner:: UNN by somtea(m): 7:21pm On Jan 05, 2014
Chei, hw did I miss this Anyways.u guys did us proud. #teamunn smiley wink grin
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner:: UNN by menzo4u: 12:32pm On Dec 13, 2015
post=20371289:
My name is Promisechild, the chief speaker of the great citadel of learning
(Kogi State University,Ayingba). The topic to debate on is: CORRUPTION IS
A SOCIETAL EVIL CRIPPLING OUR COUNTRY NIGERIA: WHO TAKES THE MOST BLAME,
LEADERS OR THE FOLLOWERS? I will support that the leaders take the most
blame.
First of all who is a Leader? A leader is a person who has a vision, a
drive and a commitment to achieve that vision, and the skills to make it
happen.

What are the traits a leader exhibits?
* Has integrity- People have to believe that you are pursuing your dream
because it's the right thing to do, not just because you are ego driven.

* Is a people person- Understands the differences that make people unique
and is able to use those individual skills to achieve the goal.

* Is positive- A leaderencourages and rewards people and makes you want to
do it and do it right. A leader is not a negative person and does not waste
time and effort telling everyone what they're doing wrong.

*A leader leads by example.
Ironically, the opposite is the case in my dear country
Nigeria. The above traits are a fantasy in my country. The leaders are the
ones encouraging corruption in all nooks and crannies of the country. They
will tell you to beat drums is mere children's play the adult is to start
echoes.

Corruption has been the evil crippling our society which the leaders take the huge blame. When we are talking about leaders we are not
talking about political office holder only. My Lecturer in school does
usually make an expression, thus I quote "not all politicians are leaders
and not all leaders are politicians".
Nigeria as the giant of Africa has lost her respect in the global world due to her incessant criminal activities spearheaded by our
leaders. Even though no country in the world is corrupt free.
The pervasive and deep-rooted nature of corruption in Nigeria is indicated by the fact that in 1996, Transparency International (TI) ranked Nigeria
as the 2nd most corrupt nation among the 54 nations surveyed (Morre, 1997).
In 1998, Nigeria was again ranked the 2nd most corrupt
nation out of the 85 countries polled by TI (Lipset and Lenz, 2000). In
2001, Nigeria was ranked 90 out of 91 countries pooled. By 2009, the Global
Perception Index (CPI) by TI rated Nigeria 130th out of the 180 countries
surveyed. For the year, 2010, Nigeria ranked 134th out of 178 countries assessed (Abiodun, 2012).
In 2011, the TI, in its report on corruption perception, rated Nigeria as
the 143 most corrupt nations out of the 183 countries
surveyed (Business Day, 2012)

. Indeed as Derin (2007) notes, Nigeria has
been featuring prominently amongst the most corrupt nations of the
world for the past thirty years.
The effects and implications of the full scale corruption
inNigeria‘s social, political and economic development are myriad.

Corruption in Nigeria constitutes a serious barrier to effective resource
mobilization and allocation as it diverts resources away from activities that are vital to poverty eradication, economic and sustainable development (Derin, 2007). As a matter of fact, corruption in Nigeria has resulted to a reduction in the quality and quantity of goods and services available to the public as reflected in poor infrastructures, poor quality of education,
health care and transportation system.
Some anti- graft agencies was introduced by the Nigerian government
in order to monitor corruption in the country and to gain the trust of
the people but we never knew these anti -graft bodies were set up to persecute the ordinary man in the street while leaving our kpletocratic
leaders who stole billions of naira alone. If I may ask what have these
bodies done to those specifically accused of
maladministration and embezzlement of public funds?
Specifically these governors were under trial for alleged corrupt practices and enrichment, among others include the following:
NAME and STATE 1 Chimaroke, Nnamani Enugu 2
Gbenga Daniel Ogun 3 Alao Akala
Oyo 4 Akwe Dorme Nasarawa 5 Bola Tinubu Lagos 6
Ikedi Ohakim Imo 7 Joshua
Dariye Plateau 8 Saminu Turaki Jigawa 9 Jolly Tanko
Nyame Taraba 10 Orji
Uzor Kalu Abia 11 Peter Odili Rivers 12 Lucky
Iginedion Edo
Others that are being investigated by
EFCC include Wamako Aliyu
of Sokoto State, Ibrahim Idris of Kogi State, Timpriye
Sylva of Bayelsa
state, Boni Haruna of Adamawa state, Michael
Botmang of plateau state,
Rasheed Ladoja of Oyo state . Other high profile cases of corruption include the ones involving
Professor Babalola
Borishade and Femi-Fani Kayode, former Aviation
minister, over the
fraudulent handling of N19.5 billion Aviation
International fund, Senator
Iyabo Obasanjo Bello and former health minister,
Adenike Grange, over misappropriation of N300 million meant for the
ministry, where are their cases today? I guess! It has been thrown to the
bush. They loot our money and take it to other countries while the people
are suffering and having emaciated bones. The followers are now been forced
to follow the foot step of their leaders because every
part of country is full of corruption.
Position in offices now depends on whom you know in government house
or the money you can pay in order to be listed in the senator’s slot
which has made merit to be sacrificed for flaw and crippling our societal values.
With the above points I mentioned I am not trying to confuse you but to
convince you that our leaders are responsible for the corruption
crippling our country Nigeria.
Thank You

Reference
Who is a leader - About.com
Okinba launko- end of the war( poem)
Business day newspaper
http://www.ajol.info /index.php/afrrev/article /viewFile/80255/70515- Africa
Research Review

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Universities Lack Quality Lecturers - NUC January 8, 2015 / Nigeria LNG Limited 2021 Postgraduate Scholarship Award / Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread}

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.