Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,438 members, 7,819,609 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:06 PM

How To Understand The Stock Table: And Make Profitable Investment Decisions - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / How To Understand The Stock Table: And Make Profitable Investment Decisions (1029 Views)

I Need A Profitable Investment To Invest With 1.5 Million / Any Hope On The Stock Market: Will It Ever Pick-up Again? / When Is MTN Coming To The Stock Market? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Understand The Stock Table: And Make Profitable Investment Decisions by reaZON(m): 5:40am On Aug 02, 2008
[/b]
[/pre]
[b]
[pre]

Understanding the stock table and making profitable investment decisions based on its analysis is quite easy and requires little dedication. Looking at a typical stock table, the headers include :
opening price
closing price
% change
quantity traded
value of shares
Number of deals (or deals)
year high
year low
E.P.S
P/E ratio 

P/E RATIO:

P/E ratio means price/earning ratio i.e. price to earning ratio. This is the ratio of the price of the stock to its earnings and it describes the relationship between the price of the stock and its earnings. You get P/E ratio by dividing the current price by the EPS. i.e.
   P/E ratio    =  current price / E.P.S

This is about the most important factor to consider when making investment decisions because it tells you about the price of the stock and how much it has earned. A stock with low P/E ratio is highly preferred (better) to that with higher P/E ratio i.e. the lower the P/E ratio, the better. A high P/E ratio indicates that the stock is over priced. This means that the stock is priced more than its worth. Let us consider company ABC ;
Current price = N30
Current EPS = N2
Hence P/E ratio = 30/2
                                      = 15

QUANTITY TRADED

In some publications, this is called volume traded. The quantity traded represents the total units of a stock that were traded on a trading day.i.e the quantity of the stock that was bought/sold on that trading day. According to the new sec rule, the quantity traded of a stock must exceed 100,000 units for the price of the stock to change (increase or decrease). To some stock analyst, the quantity traded of a stock is an indication of the level of investor interest in the stock. The quantity traded of a stock is also seen as liquidity. This is one of the factors you look out for when buying a stock. Always buy a stock with high liquidity (large volume of quantity traded). Due to the high investor interest in the stock, it is easier to sell because you easily get interested buyers.

To read the full article and other very important stock articles
please visit :  www. stock707.. com
you can also contact me there if you have any questions or need any help
Re: How To Understand The Stock Table: And Make Profitable Investment Decisions by reaZON(m): 10:22am On Aug 24, 2008
Do you wonder what makes a stock's price to change,
Learn what changes stock prices and how to use it to make more money in the stock market
go to www. stock707.. com
and read the new topic "factors that influence a stock's price"
tell me what you think, Happy reading

(1) (Reply)

How To Verify Your Credit Card For Internet Banking And Online Transaction. / Real Estate Investment Strategies............... By Bukola Ogunsola. / Cooperative Society

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.