Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,776 members, 7,862,579 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 07:54 PM

NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: (2904 Views)

LASU Vs IBADAN POLY : Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: IBADAN POLY / UNILORIN--FUNAAB: Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: FUNAAB / OAU--ABU ZARIA: Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: OAU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: by Mhyke: 6:40pm On Dec 27, 2013
in Carey's case,dont you think that he might have had his dad motivation in attaining his dream?wat if he doesnt have a dad to drive him to comedies during his childhood?
and for hamilton,she had people who helped her lived through her predicament.
how did she become a surfer at that age if she had no support or motivation through friends and family at childhood because as a child,she must have been terrified by the situation.
that's why i keep emphasizing that using people's cases as instances is out of it.we don't know what happened during their childhood that turned their lives around.
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: by Nobody: 6:41pm On Dec 27, 2013
Mhyke: Good evening to the Judges,greetings to the co ordinators,a respectful
bow to my co-debaters(opponents) and a big HI to the audience.
The topic this time is 'Childhood experience is responsible for how
people turn out'
I will be defending this notion via illustrating some childhood
experiences but firstly I would like you to agree with me in defining
an individual's turn out as his status behaviourally, financially and
personality wise in the society when he is grown.
You will agree with me that the most suitable stage in an
individual's life to evaluate his/her turn out is during late youth
life/Adulthood.
People turn out reasonable(financially and behaviourally),
unreasonable etc.Some turn out to be nonentities while some commands
personality respect.
Firstly,looking into the life of some one who turned out
successful, we can link a number of causes to this~
Maybe he had a good education, ended up as a graduate and ends up in a
company or something.
Taking education to be the cause:-
Education is an experience that best starts and is mostly influencial
at CHILDHOOD.Itwas because the individual had a good primary
education during his Childhood that made him able to proceed into the
secondary school then the university before graduating.
Furthermore,this individual might have been financed by his
parents or guardian.looking at the case of someone with no family,who
lived his/her life on the streets,mostly likely to end up with bad
companies who introduced him to stuffs like robbery, addiction
etc.This would eventually determine the way the person would turnout
and his turnout would be credited to the fact that 'He had no parental
care during his CHILDHOOD'.
Moreover, taking someone whose parents couldn't afford to educate
him/her as an example.When the individual grows,the fact that he had
no access to an education during his CHILDHOOD would reflect in his
turnout because the number of jobs he would be qualified to engage in
this technologically advanced world would be limited and someone's
occupation is one of the major factors in defining a person's turnout.
Also,some people who ended up being bad would relate their
condition to the kind of environment they lived their Childhood
in.Some grew up in ghettos (apart from the normal rural areas ) and
due to the naive mind a child has,the environment would influence his
growing up due to the kind of friends he/she keeps.He would be
compelled to submit to their lifestyle (either good or bad but mostly
it's discouraging )by and by,he would grow up in this atmosphere and
whatsoever his turn out will be it would be determined by this
experience.
In addition, an uneducated,successful fellow would attribute his
success to many factors that are linked to Childhood experiences. He
probably had parents who couldn't educate him but are enlightened
enough to make in learn a trade,watch his lifestyle and who made sure
he made something worthwhile of his occupation. This can be accredited
to the fact that he had responsible parents/guardian during his
childhood days.
However,for the educated,their turnouts are also influenced during
Childhood in the sense that:
An individual who had the opportunity if being enrolled into school
may not have parents or anybody who cares enough to monitor his
excellence and performance in school .He might end up being a
dullard,drop out of school and for a female,might get pregnant along
the way.
OR
He or she might have been brought up by a single parent who didn't
have enough time to spare.These instances i cited are Childhood
strongholds for how he or she would turn out later on.They all hold
Childhood experiences responsible.
[quote author=Mhyke][color=green]Conclusively,inviting the scriptures into this discussion, it will
say that 'teach a CHILD the way he should go and when he is old,he
wont depart from it'.This had said it all.Itimplies that what an
individual would be(his Turn Out)is best influenced and determined
from Childhood and its experiences.
The second meaning of Childhood in the Oxford dictionary defines it as
the foundation of a process.Manipulating this,Adulthood(turn out
stage) is d end result of a long process(es)/experience(s) lived
through during CHILDHOOD.
And there is no way a result won't be determined by it's procedure
I am sure that these points i laid out are valid enough to convict
'CHILDHOOD' of the charge of being responsible for how people turn
out.
Thanks
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: by Mhyke: 6:46pm On Dec 27, 2013
As the cases of poor rappers that turned out well,they might have experienced situations during childhood that made them driven to turn out well.and since it's not all poor background rappers that turned out well,this example is invalid.we are not arguing that childhood financial background determines turnout but that it's experience that determines turnout.their background either poor or rich might have been influenced positively or negatively due to some experiences
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: by Miscellaneous(m): 6:50pm On Dec 27, 2013
What is happening to our debaters ?

Pls reply punctured arguments
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: by Nobody: 6:51pm On Dec 27, 2013
Mhyke: @ epaul
for the case of jennifer,citing humans as examples is totally out if it because we didnt live their childhood with them.
and besides,she might have felt intimidated in the society due to her background so in getting famous,she didnt bother about her behaviour.also using her as an example is invalid because there are celebrities who had a poor background and didnt behave like she did
As for whitney,if her religious background had a real religious influence on her during her childhood, she would have refrained from taking drugs meaning that the fact that she sings at church doesn't mean she lived a religious life.
And u failed to emphasize on how her childhoo background might have helped in realizing her dream.
oh dear! Are you insinuating that biography is not reliable? How did the world learn about the life of late nelson mandela? Did they grow up with him? Your question about whether i grew up with jenifer lopez was off the rail. There are many many ways to learn about a person's life and one of such ways is through biographies. The word "she might" portrays you are only assuming and thats unaccepted.
As to the case of whitney, read my debate again there are sufficient evidence to prove that she was actually leading a pretty perfect life before her later relationship with bobby brown[/color]
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: by Mhyke: 6:56pm On Dec 27, 2013
humans
in truth are shaped more by the present and
the recent past than the early past
experience.quoted epaul

and you dont think that the recent past that determines the present is in turn determined by the earliest past??
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: by Mhyke: 7:00pm On Dec 27, 2013
Epaul: oh dear! Are you insinuating that biography is not reliable? How did the world learn about the life of late nelson mandela? Did they grow up with him? Your question about whether i grew up with jenifer lopez was off the rail. There are many many ways to learn about a person's life and of such ways is through biographies[/color]
that's so naive.the biography just details the coating not the inside.i am not dening that jennifer lopez didnt go off the rails but can you prove what influenced that character?NO!
some experience might have triggered it along the line
e.g assuming that i was poor as a child,if ilater turn out rich,it doesn't mean i'l take pity on the poor because i might have been ridiculed by rich folks when i was a child which imbibed my current behaviour.
my biography would say i was poor and humble but i became rich and arrogant
it wont state the reason behind my arrogance
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: by Nobody: 7:07pm On Dec 27, 2013
Mhyke:
that's so naive.the biography just details the coating not the inside.i am not dening that jennifer lopez didnt go off the rails but can you prove what influenced that character?NO!

take a look at the bolded. You just agreed and helped me confirm to the audience that some experience is the cause of her later outcome and not her childhood experience. Which of course is true. I agree with you. So it means her childhood experience was not responsible which further support my point that a person's later outcome is influenced by some of his/her present experience as against childhood experience.
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: by Miscellaneous(m): 7:07pm On Dec 27, 2013
Judges can now ask questions
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: by Mhyke: 7:09pm On Dec 27, 2013
Epaul: take a look at the bolded. You just agreed some experience is the cause of her later outcome and not her childhood experience. Which is true. I agree with you. So it means her childhood experience was not responsible which furthe support my point that a person's later outcom is influenced by some of his/her present experience as against childhood experience.
lots of laughs,re-read my post,i have modified it.you got it twisted.
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: by Mhyke: 7:09pm On Dec 27, 2013
Epaul: take a look at the bolded. You just agreed some experience is the cause of her later outcome and not her childhood experience. Which is true. I agree with you. So it means her childhood experience was not responsible which furthe support my point that a person's later outcom is influenced by some of his/her present experience as against childhood experience.
lots of laughs,re-read my post,i have modified it stating an instance.you got it twisted.
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: by Nobody: 7:16pm On Dec 27, 2013
Mhyke: humans
in truth are shaped more by the present and
the recent past than the early past
experience.quoted epaul

and you dont think that the recent past that determines the present is in turn determined by the earliest past??
how pathetic! Take for example a proud person who escaped death in an accident and therefore changed his outlook about life. Base on your question, how does his past childhood experience determine the accident which is in this case is the present experience? Wrong question again.
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: by Mhyke: 7:19pm On Dec 27, 2013
. Take a field trip
to our prisons and you are bound to see
inmates whose incarceration was largely as
a result of the wrong company they kept
after their childhood..quote epaul

some of this prisoners could have been born in the street leaving them with no generous option with the company they keep

some might have had parents or guardian who failed to admonish them about the companies they keep when they were children
so you are saying that they would blame it on after-childhood companies without thinking about past childhood experiences that made them keep those companies
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: by Miscellaneous(m): 7:19pm On Dec 27, 2013
Judges any question ?
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: by Mhyke: 7:21pm On Dec 27, 2013
Epaul: how pathetic! Take for example a proud person who escaped death in an accident and therefore changed his outlook about life. Base on your question, how does his past childhood experience determine the accident which is in this case is the present experience? Wrong question again.
whaooo good point but you didn't think his pride was induced in him during his growing up
maybe through family status, personal acheivement or being not associated with religion?
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: by Nobody: 7:22pm On Dec 27, 2013
Mhyke: [b]that's so naive.the biography just details the coating not the inside.[/b]i am not dening that jennifer lopez didnt go off the rails but can you prove what influenced that character?NO!
e.g assuming that i was poor as a child,if ilater turn out rich,it doesn't mean i'l take pity on the poor because i might have been ridiculed by rich folks when i was a child which imbibed my current behaviour.
my biography would say i was poor and humble but i became rich and arrogant
it wont state the reason behind my arrogance
take a look at the bolded..I'm afraid, you are wrong. Google the life of mandela, michael jackson, even jenifer lopez and check. Biography of popular people are not invariably skeletal, the writers always make reference to other works on their subject ranging from interviews, autobiographies etc. And as such your assertion is wrong
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: by Obinoscopy(m): 7:29pm On Dec 27, 2013
This would eventually determine the way the person would turnout
and his turnout would be credited to the fact that 'He had no parental
care during his CHILDHOOD'.
@Mhyke, we've seen case scenario where one becomes very successful in life even without parental care. The likes of Steve Jobs comes to mind. So what can say about such scenario?
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: by Nobody: 7:29pm On Dec 27, 2013
Mhyke: . Take a field trip
to our prisons and you are bound to see
inmates whose incarceration was largely as
a result of the wrong company they kept
after their childhood..quote epaul

some of this prisoners could have been born in the street leaving them with no generous option with the company they keep

some might have had parents or guardian who failed to admonish them about the companies they keep when they were children
so you are saying that they would blame it on after-childhood companies without thinking about past childhood experiences that made them keep those companies
you saw what you wanted to see and didn't take your time to glean through it properly to have an incisive grasp of my example. The example didn't say the cause of the incarceration of every inmates in prison is as a result of bad companies..the point is that we are bound to see some inmates whose present predicament is as a result of the bad companies they keep. Or do u want to tell us that there are no such case?
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: by Mhyke: 7:31pm On Dec 27, 2013
Epaul: take a look at the bolded..I'm afraid, you are wrong. Google the life of mandela, michael jackson, even jenifer lopez and check. Biography of popular people are not invariably skeletal, the writers always make reference to other works on their subject ranging from interviews, autobiographies etc. And as such your assertion is wrong
you didn't consider that they might not have been outrightly honest during the interviews.there are personal experiences they wouldn't like to make public.
we can't claim to know the insides of a person's life like the person himself through some books printed in black and white.the most biographies offers is a clear insight.
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: by Nobody: 7:34pm On Dec 27, 2013
Mhyke:
you didn't consider that they might not have been outrightly honest during the interviews.there are personal experiences they wouldn't like to make public.
we can't claim to know the insides of a person's life like the person himself through some books printed in black and white.the most biographies offers is a clear insight.
what about autobiography written by the person? Are you saying that too is not reliable?
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: by Mhyke: 7:35pm On Dec 27, 2013
Epaul: you saw what you wanted to see and didn't your take time to glean through it properly to have an incisive grasp of my example. The example didn't say the cause of the incarceration of every inmates in prison is as a result of bad companies..the point is that we are bound to see some inmates whose present predicament is as a result of the bad companies they keep. Or do u want to tell us that there are no such case?
there is but i am asking you think about past experiences that might have made them keep those present companies. and like you said,'some inmates'
not even 'most' and definitely not 'all'
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: by Miscellaneous(m): 7:37pm On Dec 27, 2013
@mhyke reply the judge
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: by Mhyke: 7:39pm On Dec 27, 2013
Epaul: what about autobiography written by the person? Are you saying that too is not reliable?
it depends on if you choose to believe all you read.some are,but not all those who you cited have an autobiography and not all in their shoes have one.
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: by Mhyke: 7:40pm On Dec 27, 2013
Miscellaneous: @mhyke reply the judge
i can't find the judge's question
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: by Nobody: 7:40pm On Dec 27, 2013
Mhyke:
there is but i am asking you think about past experiences that might have made them keep those present companies. and like you said,'some inmates'
not even 'most' and definitely not 'all'
past experience that made them keep those companies? What are you saying? So if i'm a friend to my course mate, you mean to opine that i'm doing so because of past experience? How pathetic! Nw, even the rest inmates that are not there because of bad companies, can you authoritatively state that it was their childhood experience that was the cause? If yes, we would be eager to see you prove it..
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: by Miscellaneous(m): 7:44pm On Dec 27, 2013
Obinoscopy: @Mhyke, we've seen case scenario where one becomes very successful in life even without parental care. The likes of Steve Jobs comes to mind. So what can say about such scenario?

mhyke seen it now ?
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: by Mhyke: 7:47pm On Dec 27, 2013
Obinoscopy: @Mhyke, we've seen case scenario where one becomes very successful in life even without parental care. The likes of Steve Jobs comes to mind. So what can say about such scenario?
i have already emphasized that it's nit firm to use peolpe's life as instances.
And not everyone like steve jobs turned out like him
by the way,steve jobs might have encountered situations during his childhood that have maneuvered his life.he might have used some opportunities to his advantage through pastel experiences.i dont know anything about his biograpgy so i cant elucidate my point.
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: by Miscellaneous(m): 7:48pm On Dec 27, 2013
Audience can now ask questions. . .if any.
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: by Mhyke: 7:48pm On Dec 27, 2013
i have already emphasized that it's nit firm to use peolpe's life as instances.
And not everyone like steve jobs turned out like him
by the way,steve jobs might have encountered situations during his childhood that have maneuvered his life.he might have used some opportunities to his advantage through pastel experiences.i dont know anything about his biograpgy so im sorry i cant elucidate my point.
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: by Nobody: 7:52pm On Dec 27, 2013
Mhyke:
it depends on if you choose to believe all you read.some are,but not all those who you cited have an autobiography and not all in their shoes have one.
so since some of them don't have one, you are sayin there's no other way to find out about their childhood life? Wrong sir! Does the christian Jesus, my lord Jesus have an autobiography? What about the muslim Mohammed? No they dn't. So does it mean we stil do not have an insight about their childhood lives? Or do you want to make us believe that all that was written about their childhood is mendacious? Please, i advise u ignore this o. Some boko haramist are reading this. Myke, the point is that it is unequivocally clear that ones childhood experience does not influence how one would turn out..considering the fact that later experience can alter our lives.
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: by Mhyke: 7:53pm On Dec 27, 2013
Epaul: past experience that made them keep those companies? What are you saying? So if i'm a friend to my course mate, you mean to opine that i'm doing so because of past experience? How pathetic! Nw, even the rest inmates that are not there because of bad companies, can you authoritatively state that it was their childhood experience that was the cause? If yes, we would be eager to see you prove it..
you fail to understand me.
your post speaks out one sentence
"All inmates are what they are because of their present companies'
you fail to associate their present with their past.
the case of room mate is lame and totally out of my point
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: by Mhyke: 7:57pm On Dec 27, 2013
Epaul: so since some of them don't have one, you are sayin there's no other way to find out about their childhood life? Wrong sir! Does the christian, my lord Jesus have an autobiography? No. So does it mean we stil do not have an insight about his life. Myke, the point is that it is unequivocally clear that ones childhood experience does not influence how one would turn out..considering the fact that later experience can alter our lives.
that's just it,u fail to agree that life experiences goes on a chain.
the later experiences you refered to might have a connection with prior experience.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Worked Hard To Change My Poor Family’s Fortune –Emmanuel Okpalaeke,First Class / Must See: Water Unilag Student Use (not Drinks) / Dr Oby Ezekwesili Addresses Nexford University's MBA Graduates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.