Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,982 members, 7,817,900 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:18 PM

Boasting From The Pulpit. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Boasting From The Pulpit. (732 Views)

5 Funny Things Pastors Do On The Pulpit. / The Lie "We" Preached From The Pulpit.... / Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Boasting From The Pulpit. by Nobody: 8:47pm On Dec 25, 2013
Re: Boasting From The Pulpit. by benny4wax(m): 1:29am On Dec 26, 2013
nice share.......but a little writeup would have brought out the beauty of your thread
Re: Boasting From The Pulpit. by Goshen360(m): 2:30am On Dec 26, 2013
I hereby propose the title of this thread changed from "Boasting from the pulpit" to "Modern Pentecostal way of collecting offerings and sowing seeds". angry
Re: Boasting From The Pulpit. by mumumugu(m): 7:03am On Dec 26, 2013
Goshen360: I hereby propose the title of this thread changed from "Boasting from the pulpit" to "Modern Pentecostal way of collecting offerings and sowing seeds". angry

I oppose your motion. It is not only found among pentecostalism

1 Like

Re: Boasting From The Pulpit. by birdman(m): 7:55am On Dec 26, 2013
Not only did I watch that full service a few months back, but I know the circumstances in the previous weeks that led to that sermon.

T D Jakes had been in LA for a while, working on a new BET series. He was absent from his services for so long that there were rumors he might be moving his ministry to LA. Jakes is a Bishop for real, and has in fact moved the ministries of pastors under him before, so you can see why some church members would entertain the idea.

At the same time, his very good friend, Bishop Noel Jones was starring in a TV series following the lives of mega church preachers. You know, the one that shows 4 preachers and their wealth and flaws. He and Jakes had a public and sharp disagreement about this show. Jakes position was that while he supports appearing on TV as long as Jesus was magnified, he could not support the "bling bling" show. He was also angry because Bishop Jones kept this info from him until it was too late. Jones obviously knew Jakes would never have approved of it.

The sunday of this message was Jakes' first time back in church, and he obviously wanted to set things straight. Hence the last 5 minutes after the sermon had actually ended was not a mystery to his congregants. They knew tha context of this 5 minute addition, and which preachers he was referring to, eg. Bishop Jones, who had regularly preached at Jakes church.

So when he mentioned "that junk on tv", he was directly referring to the bling bling show. He went on to say " I am not bling bling...", making sure they knew what he was talking about.

Next he says "Im not from LA, I'm from Dallas" to quiet all the rumors about his moving to LA. You can see his congregants react strongly at this point.

In other words, if you were a church member, what you heard was "Im not leaving. God put me here. I have integrity and Im not going to run away with your money and use it elsewhere (LA). Im not going to abandon the projects in Dallas I promised you I would see through. I'm not eating your money, I have mine from my own sweat (unlike pastors who appear to be milking their flock)"

I think Bishop Jones also must have heard this message too, because it appeared that the words "shake n bake, slimy, integrity" might have been aimed in his direction. On subsequent talk shows, you gee a more negative reaction from Bishop Jones when asked about the Jakes fallout.

Guys, be wary of these "objective" videos floating around trying to sink people with effective ministries.
Re: Boasting From The Pulpit. by Nobody: 2:28pm On Dec 26, 2013
In other words TD Jakes is a saint while Noel Jones is the fall guy here.. whichever way these guys should teach the totality of the gospel and not be one sided with their motivational talk shows.It actually self destruct believers.Money is not everything, Jesus is.
Re: Boasting From The Pulpit. by birdman(m): 5:26pm On Dec 26, 2013
Bidam: In other words TD Jakes is a saint while Noel Jones is the fall guy here.. whichever way these guys should teach the totality of the gospel and not be one sided with their motivational talk shows.It actually self destruct believers.Money is not everything, Jesus is.

wrong. the 5 minute post is not representative of the sermon. It was chosen out of context on purpose, to stir your emotions. Its not about who is the saint here. Its about accuracy. You do want the truth right?

(1) (Reply)

Does James Teach Salvation By Works? / Man Claiming To Be Jesus Banned From Britain/us / 7 Things You Need To Know About RCCG Camp 2014.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.