Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,161 members, 7,815,056 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:17 AM

Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. (48470 Views)

2 First-class Yoruba Kings To Preach At Christian Revival / 5 Funny Things Pastors Do On The Pulpit. / The Lie "We" Preached From The Pulpit.... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. by segyemaro(m): 10:33am On Dec 03, 2008
Let's look at what the Bible says about women teaching and preaching. i Tim 2:9-15 says: "In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.  Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.  But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.  For Adam was first formed, then Eve.  And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.  Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety."  Now 1 Cor 14:34-35 "Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church." We see from these two passages that  women are to not teach publicly in the the worship.  This includes leading in any way like preaching, leading a prayer, leading the singing or taking part of serving the Lord's Supper.  We can do thing like sing with everyone and teach children and ladies classes.  Now look at Titus 2:3-5 "The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things;  That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,  To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed."  This passage tells us that women need to have the older ladies teaching the younger ladies and that they should be good wives and helpmeets to their husbands and mothers for their children.   women have a very important job as a wife and mother. When God set up the way that He wanted the Worship to be, He wanted the men to be in charge of the leading and have  women in charge of other things.

So i dont know why women have taken the mantle of standing on the pulpit to preach,why is all this happening? Pls contribute.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. by tpia: 12:42am On Dec 04, 2008
Re: Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. by Lady2(f): 2:40am On Dec 04, 2008
Let's look at what the Bible says about women teaching and preaching. i Tim 2:9-15 says: "In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works. Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression. Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety." Now 1 Cor 14:34-35 "Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church." We see from these two passages that women are to not teach publicly in the the worship. This includes leading in any way like preaching, leading a prayer, leading the singing or taking part of serving the Lord's Supper.

these ones bolded are not included, what if only women are gathered at prayer? should we wait for men to come and lead the prayer and then continue with meeting and then have a man come in again to lead prayer? ridiculous.

Which men do you see in the choir so easily? Women aren't supposed to lead singing? Wow.

pls stop misinterpreting the Bible, thanks.

Women are not to be preachers, but that is not to say that they cannot counsel their children on things of the Lord, it can be mistaken as preaching,

1 Like

Re: Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. by segyemaro(m): 12:34pm On Dec 04, 2008
no one is trying to misinterpret the bible,you can find all this in the bible.woman can stand to preach her own fellow women, but not to take authority were there are men. About the choir,there are men in the choir,the instrumentalist are men and there are also other men there singing. I dont attend catholic,but i was made to understand that women dont mount the pulpit to preach,except to fellow women or children,so its high time we put things straight.
Re: Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. by Nobody: 12:45pm On Dec 04, 2008
~Lady~:

these ones bolded are not included, what if only women are gathered at prayer? should we wait for men to come and lead the prayer and then continue with meeting and then have a man come in again to lead prayer? ridiculous.

Which men do you see in the choir so easily? Women aren't supposed to lead singing? Wow.

please stop misinterpreting the Bible, thanks.

Women are not to be preachers, but that is not to say that they cannot counsel their children on things of the Lord, it can be mistaken as preaching,

can you back your post with one or two passages in the bible. you see, the thread started posted one or two passages in the bible to stress point. but you havent.

please dont get me wrong, i believe you have made a valid point. but your comment(s) may be taken lightly without any reference(s)
Re: Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. by arramyjay: 12:56pm On Dec 04, 2008
Ok
Re: Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. by tpia: 4:57pm On Dec 04, 2008
Re: Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. by OBVIOUS(m): 6:37pm On Dec 04, 2008
Jesus is no respecta of persons and that includes MEN.
Re: Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. by MadMax1(f): 7:22pm On Dec 04, 2008
tpia:

In any case, this verse says let your women keep silence. ie the Corinthian women, since the letter was addressed to the Corinthian church.

It doesnt say let all women everywhere keep silence in the churches.

Perfection.
Re: Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. by scottN(m): 7:32pm On Dec 04, 2008
Ever since d Beijing conference, women hv come 2 hv equal opportunities with men. The society of then is different 4rm what we hv now. And let's not 4get that it's d society trend that determines religious norms and practice, tho' ur r/ship with God is more of a personal affair. Give d women a chance, they deserve it.
Re: Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. by Lady2(f): 11:41pm On Dec 04, 2008
no one is trying to misinterpret the bible,you can find all this in the bible.woman can stand to preach her own fellow women, but not to take authority were there are men. About the choir,there are men in the choir,the instrumentalist are men and there are also other men there singing. I don't attend catholic,but i was made to understand that women don't mount the pulpit to preach,except to fellow women or children,so its high time we put things straight.

you didn't state anything about women standing and preaching to other women. I am catholic and I know that women are not to be preachers, but I do know that women do play a very important role in the church, and the way you presented your point you came off condescending to women.
I do stand by my point that women can sing.
Singing is not pastoring. A choir leader is not a pastor.
The choir assists in the church and they are not the ones doing the preaching or prayers.

can you back your post with one or two passages in the bible. you see, the thread started posted one or two passages in the bible to stress point. but you havent.

please don't get me wrong, i believe you have made a valid point. but your comment(s) may be taken lightly without any reference(s)

One does not need to have bible passage when there is common sense. But if I were to present the Bible passage, I would present the one that the poster presented. The passage didn't say that women cannot sing, and that they cannot lead prayers at women's gathering. The passage talks about in a synagogue, or in Church. Simply put women cannot be pastors, but they can be assistants in the Church.

I wanted the poster to stop generalizing as we know there are many scenarios in life. Well the poster became specific.

scottN:

Ever since d Beijing conference, women hv come 2 hv equal opportunities with men. The society of then is different from what we hv now. And let's not forget that it's d society trend that determines religious norms and practice, tho' ur r/ship with God is more of a personal affair. Give d women a chance, they deserve it.

I'm sorry but society does not determine religious norms. Religion should be the measure not society. Religion should determine societies norms
Re: Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. by KunleOshob(m): 10:07am On Dec 05, 2008
tpia:

In any case, this verse says let your women keep silence. ie the Corinthian women, since the letter was addressed to the Corinthian church.

It doesnt say let all women everywhere keep silence in the churches.

Biblical manipulation. We can as well say all the books in the bible was addressed to the ancient people alive when it was written.
Re: Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. by muteeu(m): 10:21am On Dec 05, 2008
I raelly suppost what the writer said and preaching in church is not only to Corintian church alone and those that belief in Bibleis. If is it only people in crointian church, that mean u are not follw bible. when done the writer. please, there is alop of Bleep that our does'nt know because they are the dceiver.
Re: Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. by tpia: 5:29pm On Dec 05, 2008
Re: Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. by JJYOU: 5:32pm On Dec 05, 2008
watching
Re: Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. by Bastage: 5:43pm On Dec 05, 2008
Women held many high offices in early Christianity and any Biblical passage stating that they are not to have authority is contradicted elsewhere in scripture.

Female authority was stamped out by male chauvanism. Nothing more, nothing less.
Re: Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. by mazaje(m): 5:49pm On Dec 05, 2008
Bastage:

Women held many high offices in early Christianity and any Biblical passage stating that they are not to have authority is contradicted elsewhere in scripture.

Female authority was stamped out by male chauvanism. Nothing more, nothing less.

Christains should read the book of paul and tekla for more on this. . . i wonder why the book was excluded from the bible. . . . . perharps because of male chauvanism. . . . .
Re: Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. by Image123(m): 9:22pm On Dec 05, 2008
Just an observation.
So only corinthian women were being instructed here.
1Timothy 2v12 But I suffer not A woman to teach,nor to usurp authority over the man,but to be in silence.
Was this passage addressing only the Timothians?
Re: Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. by tpia: 9:26pm On Dec 05, 2008
Re: Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. by Image123(m): 1:00am On Dec 07, 2008
I'm suprised at your reply.Do you seriously mean that 1Corinthians and 1Timothy are written only to the corinthians and to Timothy and are therefore not applicable/relevant to Today's christian? So what book in the bible is written to us /can be followed by us. I've always thought christians should be transformed/changed by the renewing of their minds through scriptures so that they could prove the good and PERFECT will of God. I thought the view of scriptures ought to direct and guide us and not just OUR fancies,likes and traditions. The english translations of the 2text seem clear,why take us through greek lessons.se you wan do ojoro?
There's so much to be involved in in the work/kingdom of God.Not teaching men doesn't turn anyone into a robot or to being useless. In a church of 5000 members where they have about say 20 teachers,are the remaining people robots?
Re: Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. by tpia: 2:16am On Dec 07, 2008
Re: Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. by Nobody: 9:26am On Dec 07, 2008
Paul had a pshycological fear of women. Someone should do a background check on him, maybe he had a domineering mother, maybe but i hardly give relevance to most of his stance on women. he is the worst chavenist ever
Re: Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. by Bastage: 1:18pm On Dec 07, 2008
One only has to look at the slander placed upon Mary Magdalene to see how the Church tried to subjugate women.

Nowhere in the Bible does it suggest that she was the prostitute that the later Church made her out to be.
In all reality, she was very likely a woman with power in the Christian movement - probably a financial sponsor as well as a follower, if the Bible itself is to be believed. But by turning her into a prostitute, the Church tried to totally undermine her postion due to nothing more than chauvanism.
Re: Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. by Image123(m): 2:34pm On Dec 07, 2008
@tpia
I'm not worked up/upset. I said i was suprised that you said two books(corinthians and timothy) in the bible are not written for us but for 'the ancient people' of the bible.and I asked,what books have a message for us or what books can be applied to us?
Also,I don't feel women shouldn't talk in church,neither do I feel they should worship men.Nobody said this things except you.Do you worship your church's teacher(s)?
she was created from his rib,under his heart.Does this tell you anything?
did you type that?Well this doesn't in anyway suggest that women should teach over the man.Except it does to you.
@Bastage
what church/denomination turned Magdalene is a prostitute.this is news to me oo
Re: Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. by Image123(m): 2:46pm On Dec 07, 2008
@aisha2
to say that apostle Paul had fear of women suggests that you do not personally STUDY the bible.Anyone,even atheists who reads the bible would notice that the same message of female obedience/submission runs through the scripture.Even the above quoted 1Corinthians 14v34 says "but they are COMMANDED to be under obedience as ALSO SAITH the law.It's not a one man's idea/opinion.I didn't write it. It's the Word of God. Be content with such things as we have.
Re: Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. by Recognise: 2:58pm On Dec 07, 2008
deleted
Re: Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. by segyemaro(m): 12:08pm On Dec 09, 2008
i am not a catholic,but i was made to understand that in catholic church women dont mount the pulpit to preach,but they teach the children,teenagers and their fellow women. if we are to follow what the bible says,then all these women pastors ought not tobe pastors. In the bible i dont think i ever came across a female disciple or a female preacher. their are other ways women can contribute to the church,like singing and teaching the youth,so we should learn to seperate wrong fron right.
Re: Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. by segyemaro(m): 9:33am On Dec 18, 2008
So i don't know why women have taken the mantle of standing on the pulpit to preach,why is all this happening?
Re: Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. by KunleOshob(m): 9:42am On Dec 18, 2008
segyemaro:

So i don't know why women have taken the mantle of standing on the pulpit to preach,why is all this happening?
This happens mostly in pentecostal churches were the churches have been personalized (Husband and wife/ family business) and commercialized.
Re: Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. by segyemaro(m): 9:58am On Dec 18, 2008
i agree with you kunle,that church is now a family business.
Re: Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. by tpia: 1:34pm On Dec 18, 2008
Re: Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. by KunleOshob(m): 1:57pm On Dec 18, 2008
tpia:

so women preaching on the pulpit affects [b]you in what way exactly?[/b]
what negative side effects have you had from listening to a woman preach?

would you rather a gay person mounted the pulpit instead of a woman?
It does not affect me however that does not take away the fact that it is unscriptural cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Pastor Paul Enenche's Daughter, Deborah Gushes Over Her Father (Photos) / Father Mbaka: Hope Uzodinma No Longer Picks My Calls / Muslims In Ondo Worship On Church Land On Eid Day, Church Gives Free Speaker

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.