Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,636 members, 7,840,535 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 May 2024 at 08:09 AM

7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe (31795 Views)

Fear Of Ebola: Villagers Flee From The Sight Of Red Cross And Western Doctors / How Do Doctors Calculate Medical Bills? / The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe by koreat(m): 5:21am On Jun 29, 2014
Boring
Re: 7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe by sakaguchi(m): 5:24am On Jun 29, 2014
R
Re: 7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe by Nobody: 5:32am On Jun 29, 2014
Thank you so much for this expose OP!

You need to see wife, with whose phone I'm browsing tonight - and consequently under whose NL account I'm typing - screaming her lungs out whenever she feels I'm reading with poor illumination.

I'm always like "Thanks honey, but I'm a medical doctor..."

For where? Madam no dey gree o. Na she be the docky for house! *looool* 'It would destroy your eyesight. Bla-bla-bla.

*Smiles* I know she does it out of honest care - and her kind marital/innate maternal instincts override whatever professional explanation/clarification I might have to offer in that period. *Loool*

So it is either I improve the lighting, or studying ends that night!

Looooool!

Thank you once again OP!

1 Like

Re: 7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe by SUGARSON(m): 5:42am On Jun 29, 2014
So all this info I have been carrying about in my head was false...
[i]So all this info I have been carrying about in my head was false...
[/i]So all this info I have been carrying about in my head was false...

Ife onye na-amaghi kariri ya!!!
Re: 7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe by 1k001(m): 5:49am On Jun 29, 2014
Another myth that doctors know and others may not - doctors don't always know what's wrong with you and how best to treat you

1 Like

Re: 7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe by vislabraye(m): 6:30am On Jun 29, 2014
Ineresting. The way motivational speakers say that research has shown that we use 10 percent of our brain, one wonders.
Re: 7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe by sirhenry007(m): 6:33am On Jun 29, 2014
very cool
Re: 7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe by Nobody: 7:02am On Jun 29, 2014
1) Drinking at least 8 glasses of water daily has long term beneficial effects as u never know what u are prone to, say kidney stones.
Drinking that quantity of water sure helps to prevent many diseases.
2)Of course we don't use all our brains cells, just like the kidneys(50%), the brains got reserves too otherwise we will be in deep shi.t. So, its not a myth, not sure of the percentage of brain we use tho.
3)Reading in dim light of course affects eye sight in the long term, there is no myth about it.

Others like post mortem finger/hair growth, cellphone in the Hosp, etc are not believed by doctors, to the best of my knowledge.

1 Like

Re: 7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe by Ujunkem(f): 7:09am On Jun 29, 2014
Duly noted
Re: 7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe by DocAdray(f): 7:19am On Jun 29, 2014
Interesting...
Good to know.
Re: 7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe by 9jagist(m): 7:27am On Jun 29, 2014
Thanks for the info man
Re: 7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe by nickz(m): 7:32am On Jun 29, 2014
why do you have to bring this 'turkey makes you drowsy' to FP on sunday!??
if this is a plan/agenda to stop me from eating every turkey at home today then its an EPIC FAIL!!!

*exits thread with turkey in mouth*

1 Like

Re: 7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe by Nimen(m): 7:34am On Jun 29, 2014
colo$$u$:

In Jessie J's voice "we need to take it back in time, when nairaland make us all unite....its not about the topic topic topic, we don't need new topic topic topic, we just wanna make the site run, forget about the..... lipsrsealed

you actually don't have a job do you?
Re: 7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe by joelenesleek(f): 7:40am On Jun 29, 2014
Na oyigbo them. Only them go say 1+1= 2, we Africans go believe and another oyigbo go wake up counter the maths and call am him own theory we go still accept.
Re: 7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe by Nobody: 7:51am On Jun 29, 2014
Phantomstranger:

We actually only use 5 - 10 % of our brains capacity.....if we used all, the result will be disastrous,..pple will die young...
The reason why the brain restrains some info...overloading will cause overactivity.........
Every thing the human brain has set eyes on since we were born is registered in our brain......every single detail
But we can't remember all, can we?

Care to explain how you arived at 5 - 10%? Why don't you think it is between 10 - 15% or 15 - 20%? Why the range 5 - 10%?

1 Like

Re: 7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe by phlame(m): 7:57am On Jun 29, 2014
shocked
Re: 7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe by Nobody: 8:05am On Jun 29, 2014
Cell phones being dangerous in hospitals isn't a myth as the gamma rays emitted by the radio signal might interfere with the hospital gadgets like heart monitors and MRIs.

Reading in dim light by law of logic isn't a myth either.

1 Like

Re: 7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe by KingTom(m): 8:10am On Jun 29, 2014
Well as a gynaecologist, I can tell you that drinking 10 glasses of water a day purifies the skin by cleaning off mycotoxins and other body toxins. It also gives a radiant look. Mr OP do not drink more than this amount a day and I assure you. You will dry up.

Also reading under dim light causes damage to eye sight. I will advise you not to take the research of one or two "Doctors" seriously. For something to be called a myth means it has not been proven scientifically. How can a Pediatrician prove anything about eye sight. Is he now an optometrist or optician. Please don't throw caution to the wind because of this.

Contary to what you have writen Vic, cellphones are very dangerous in hospitals. The appliances like scanners M.R.I's, pagers etc will have their signals interrupted. Just imagine a patient suffering from a ruptured vulva wall and the doctor was at the other wing. The nurses tried to page him but could not all because a teenager was making a useless call and disrupting the signals. As for the others, well some are actually myths as far as Nigerian hospitals are concerned but in developed countries they are not. Have a nice Sunday smiley

3 Likes

Re: 7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe by Silensa(m): 8:45am On Jun 29, 2014
who said I won't shine? A topic created last year, makes it to the fp! My time dey come.

Seriously that of 10% is believed and taught even by my lectures but thanks to nairaland, I have overridden this myth. ;Dwho said I won't shine? A topic created last year, makes it to the fp! My time dey come.
Re: 7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe by Nobody: 8:54am On Jun 29, 2014
Myth: that Nairaland is secured and impenetrable.

Fact: APC e rats in connivance with aare Musiwa hacked into it to prevent attacks on the person of thief...nubu.

1 Like

Re: 7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe by ecnuel: 8:55am On Jun 29, 2014
deols: The 10% brain use is the most ridiculous. Each part of the brain has its functions and none is dormant, for real.

I thought they mean we do not utilize more than 10% of our brain capability!
Re: 7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe by colossus2: 8:57am On Jun 29, 2014
Nimen:

you actually don't have a job do you?
I do have a job.

You actually don't have a life. No need asking you if you do tongue
Re: 7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe by Suarezilla(m): 9:41am On Jun 29, 2014
Lots of scientific errors in the past...nice post op
Re: 7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe by YoungDaNaval(m): 10:10am On Jun 29, 2014
Pix or ...............
Re: 7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe by miolad20(m): 1:02pm On Jun 29, 2014
Interesting
Re: 7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe by niggi4life(m): 1:29pm On Jun 29, 2014
SMOKERS ARE LIABLE TO DIE YOUNG.

HOW MANY SMOKERS HAVE YOU SEEN DEAD AS A RESULT OF SMOKING?

just being curious coz i avnt seen one
Re: 7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe by toprealman: 2:04pm On Jun 29, 2014
Eating beans names you fart.....fact!
Re: 7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe by biomedixexcel(m): 2:15pm On Jun 29, 2014
Educative
Re: 7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe by Nobody: 2:40pm On Jun 29, 2014
I see...
Re: 7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe by Mimee1(f): 9:57pm On Jun 29, 2014
Quite educative,thanks op.
Re: 7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe by Dipwater(m): 10:36pm On Jun 29, 2014
deols: The 10% brain use is the most ridiculous. Each part of the brain has its functions and none is dormant, for real.

And I bilibved the hoax .thank God for the internet .infact am ashamed of my self for falling for that 10% bull/shit loooolz .it funny hahahahaha.but na wa o.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Photos Of Ituk Mbang Hospital, Akwa Ibom, To Be Commissioned By Udom Emmanuel / Asthmatic Patient Escapes Death In Port-Harcourt (Photos) / Unpaid Doctor (House Officer) Collapses In Rivers After 72-Hour Duty (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.