Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,375 members, 7,826,475 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 02:51 PM

Babatunde, Nigeria's Media Icon Dies @ 82 - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Babatunde, Nigeria's Media Icon Dies @ 82 (1211 Views)

Joseph Babatunde-Adu, 'Jab Adu', Is Dead / Yoruba Comic Actor Olaitan Babatunde aka 'Langogo' Dies In Ibadan [pictured] / Don Jazzy Pictured With Babatunde Fashola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Babatunde, Nigeria's Media Icon Dies @ 82 by DeepZone: 10:32am On Aug 04, 2008
Babatunde Jose, journalism icon, dies at 82, Fashola, Daniel, Dimeji, Tinubu, Osoba, others mourn

Sunday, August 3, 2008

How he passed on — Wife

advertisement

ALHAJI Babatunde IsmailJose, journalism icon, is dead. Aged 82, the man, who bestrode the Nigerian journalism scene like a colossus when he presided over the affairs of Daily Times which under him grew into the largest stable of newspapers and magazines in Africa, passed on at about 4.15 a.m. yesterday at St Nicholas Hospital, Lagos.

He had been rushed to the hospital days earlier after his ill health suddenly grew worse. The remains of the man, who died four months to his 83rd birthday, December 13, were committed to the mother earth at Abari Cemetery, Yaba, Lagos, yesterday at about 4.00 p.m. The chief imam of Alwal Islam, Sheikh Ahmed Babatunde Yusuf, who presided at the burial ceremony, said Jose lived exemplary life which was dedicated to the service of humanity.

Yusuf said the deceased was a good man who feared God and therefore admonished those still alive to live a good life “because one day we shall all die as Alhaji Jose has died and render our accounts of stewardship before God.” Speaking on how her husband died, Alhaja Azeez Ajose told Sunday Vanguard yesterday that the deceased had been sick for the past two years and unable to attend social functions.

According to her, the sickness took a turn for the worse in the last one week, following which he was rushed to St Nicholas Hospital. “In the last two years that Papa has been ill, the sickness has been on and off. The sickness has been due to old age. The illness became critical in the last one week which made the family to lose hope of him recovering from it. We rushed him to St. Nicholas Hospital but he died at about 4.15 a.m. today (yesterday)”, the bereaved woman said.

She said Jose would be missed for his love and kindness. Early callers at the Samuel Manuwa, Victoria Island, Lagos home of Jose, to commiserate with the family, yesterday, include Governor Babatunde Raji Fashola of Lagos State, SAN; former governor of Ogun State, Aremo Olusegun Osoba; former information minister, Prince Tony Momoh and Odafe Othihiwa of African Independent Television.

Reactions

Reactions to the death were swift. Those who paid glowing tributes to the departed doyen of journalism include Fashola; his Ogun State counterpart, Gbenga Daniel; Speaker Dimeji Bankole of the House of Representatives; former governor of Lagos State, Ashiwaju Ahmed Bola Tinubu; former Vice President Atiku Abubakar; the president of the Newspapers Proprietors Association of Nigeria, NPAN, Chief Ajibola Ogunsola; Vanguard Chairman, Mr Sam Amuka; Nigerian Guild of Editors; Dr. Yemi Ogunbiyi and Chief Onyema Ugochukwu.

End of brilliant chapter - Fashola

Fashola, in his tribute, described the passage of Jose as the conclusion of a brilliant chapter in the history of Nigerian journalism. The governor, who signed the condolence register during his condolence visit, wrote that the chapter was characterized by “very high ethics, compassion, courage and exemplary leadership”.

According to the governor, as the acknowledged doyen of modern Nigerian journalism takes a bow to meet his creator, the country will miss his very invaluable contributions to national development.

Fashola, however, prayed that the departure of the foremost journalist and accomplished administrator will inspire even more people especially journalists and other Nigerians at large to strive to surpass his achievements. While wishing Jose Al janah firdaus, he prayed that Allah will give all the loved ones he left behind the fortitude to bear the loss. The governor took part in the Janazah prayers for the deceased.

Irreparable loss - Daniel

Daniel described the death of Jose as an irreparable loss to the journalism profession. In a statement issued in Abeokuta by Kayode Samuel, Ogun State commissioner for information and orientation, the governor said Jose was a worthy example of all that is good in journalism and that he can be fittingly described as a pillar of the profession who was committed to the tenets and best traditions of journalism.

“Alhaji Jose was a doyen of no mean standing; he was an erudite journalist, an upright man who ensured that journalism was practised as a tool for social reformation and development. He gave his all to the profession and was instrumental to the robust role journalism is now playing in our national life. It is noteworthy that even after his retirement, Alhaji Jose maintained his love and dedication to journalism by mentoring others and chairing the Nigeria Media Merit Award initiative”, he stated. Daniel urged Nigerian journalists to emulate the Jose tradition of truthfulness, balance, patriotism and fairness which he said were the hallmarks of responsible journalism.

It’s monumental loss - Bankole

The speaker of House of Representatives described the death of Jose as a monumental loss to the nation and a big loss to journalism profession. Dimeji, in a statement by his special adviser, media affairs, Mr. Kayode Akinmade, stated that the deceased left an indelible mark in the pen profession as a doyen of developmental journalism. He said the late veteran journalist was amongst the many heroes of independent Nigeria as he fought colonial masters gallantly through the pen.

His words: “A thorough bred journalist who contributed to national development before and after independence through his profession, the history of journalism in Nigeria will give him a prominent chapter. “The death has robbed Nigeria of a media icon, a statesman and a nationalist par excellence. Alhaji Jose came, saw and conquered the Nigerian world of journalism. My Allah grant his soul eternal rest and the family the fortitude to bear the irreparable loss”.

Departure diminishes us - Tinubu

Tinubu said Jose’s departure “diminishes us all”.In his tribute entitled, ‘A patriot in life and death’, the former governor of Lagos said: “He was the doyen of Nigerian journalism. Indeed, on account of the role he played in using the Daily Times as a standard that inspired so many publications and nurtured media professionals who today straddle Nigeria’s political and economic sectors, he has been rightly given the accolade, father of modern Nigerian journalism.

“The departure of such a great man diminishes us all. We can no longer benefit from his encyclopedic grasp of the news process that he acquired within two decades of rising from an employment as a technical trainee in 1941 to become the Managing Director of Africa’s most prosperous news organization in 1962.

We can no longer invite him to those interesting sessions to relive his days and learn from his experience in walking the tight rope of business and politics within the organisation that he served so well. All that is left are the writings he left behind and those that were written about him. Putting these writings in a single volume should be a worthy way to immortalize this epitome of patriotism.

“In my reflections of the life and times of this great educator and mass communicator, I have singled out three outstanding values that those of us who wish to follow his footsteps must imbibe. These are the values of enterprise, dedication to work and faith in the Almighty.

“The prodigious enterprise of Pa Ismail Jose has already been acknowledged by many researchers. What is often left unsaid is that his life in this regard is rare among journalists of his days and even now. The impression is given that journalism is an endangered profession and journalists are unable to meet up with the middle class expectations.

The life of Pa Jose teaches us that this should not be so. It teaches that enterprise is a reliable handmaiden of professionalism. Secondly, his life teaches that there is no alternative to meticulous hard work in achieving personal goals and corporate aspirations. We thank God that many years after he left the board room, Pa Jose’s legacy of hard work and professionalism continues to dominate discourse on journalism”.

Our father is gone - Ajibola

Ajibola, the NPAN president, extolling the virtues of the deceased, wrote in the condolence register: “Our sage, our father is gone. The shining profile of the Nigerian press becomes a little brilliant without Alhaji Jose. “From being a tower that was defiled by military imperialists, he emerged a living monument. “We almost forgot that this morning would come when he would no longer be around. We will remember and our successors will always remember him.”

Father of modern journalism dies - Osoba

Osoba, one of those who served under Jose at Daily Times, said the deceased produced the best array of journalists in Nigeria. The former governor told Sunday Vanguard: “That is the death of the father of modern day journalism. He produced the best array of journalists in this country, including your publisher, Sam Amuka, Tony Momoh, myself, Henry Odukomaya and many others.

“There is no newspaper founded in this country in the last thirty to forty years that does not Alhaji Jose’s men in charge. “He stood for what is best for journalism and he was a colossus and there can never be a second Alhaji Babatunde Jose. “He expanded Daily Times beyond the level he took over as managing director and chairman of the paper. And he produced great journalists who went ahead to take charge of most of the newspapers in this country today. You will find his imprint and input in all the media houses in this country. Until his death, I was like the first son of the old man in both professional term and in real term.”

We are part of his footprint - Amuka

Amuka, having also been at Daily Times, said he is part of the footprint left behind by the deceased journalism icon. Vanguard Chairman said in his tribute: “Alhaji Jose was a great Nigerian, a very fine fellow. He left his footprint in the job that he did in the business of journalism. “We are all part of the footprint. I passed through Daily Times, me and my peers. I am glad that he is being properly mourned.”

Jose was a professional journalist - Momoh: Tony Momoh, who was also at Daily Times, echoed Osoba’s sentiments. His words: “I remember him as a professional journalist who took to a very high level the establishment of newspapers, the operations of newspapers and massive diversification in the newspaper business. In the establishment of newspapers, he increased the titles in the Daily Times Group from about three to 14. Then, in the operation of newspapers, he concentrated on the training of manpower not only for the editorial department but also in other areas and, in diversification of the newspaper business, he moved into related areas like marketing of publication, establishment of printing wing, packaging wing and leisure services. Most important was the training of journalists when he established a school that trained journalists not only for the Daily Times Group but also for the industry. Personally, he made me what I’m in the profession today and I owe everything to him.”

He was a professional father - Ugochukwu: To Ugochukwu, another Daily Times man, Jose was a professional father “with whom I maintained a very close relationship until his death.” He added in his tribute: “He was the greatest newspaper administrator in the country who turned around the fortunes of the Daily Times and prepared it to be quoted on the Stock Exchange. He was a man of great foresight who planned 200 years ahead of time for a simultaneous printing of the Daily Times.

“Beyond the Daily Times, Alhaji Jose played major roles in other media organizations in the country as he was charged with the responsibility of reorganizing Federal Government media organizations such as the New Nigerian Newspapers, the FRCN and the NTA in 1984. His national relevance went beyond the media as he played very important roles in other national assignments. For instance, he was the chairman of the committee that moved Nigeria driving from right hand drive to the left. He did it so well that they were very few accidents even when most people were afraid that there would be so much accidents as a result of the change. To me, he was my mentor, father and friend and indeed was at some point everyone in the Nigerian media worked under him. Mention them, Uncle Sam who started The Punch and later started Vanguard worked under him at the Daily Times. Tony Momoh also worked under him; those who started Concord left the Daily Times to start that paper; those who started The Guardian also left the Daily Times to start it.”

He trained distinguished journalists - Jakande: The former governor of Lagos State, Alhaji Lateef Jakande, also a journalist, described the death of Jose as a great loss to Nigeria. He told Sunday Vanguard last night: ”His death is a great loss to the country and a great loss to journalism. He was a titan and an icon. He was an accomplished journalist and newspaper publisher. His contributions to Nigeria will ever be remembered. He trained many journalists who are today in high positions.

Death is major loss to journalism - Ogunbiyi: Ogunbiyi, former university teacher, writer, administrator and the Balogun Ipara-Remo, who presided over the affairs of the Daily Times Group as managing director from 1989 to 1991, expressed shock at the death of Jose. He regretted that he was out of Lagos when the incident happened, saying that he would have used the occasion to release to the media a copy of a lecture he presented on the life and times of the deceased. Ogunbiyi, who was in the Rivers State capital, Port Harcourt, when the news of the death was broken, said: “Obviously, the death of the first indigenous managing Director of the Daily Times of Nigeria, Alhaji Babatunde Jose is a big shock to me even though I am aware he’s been ill for some time now. It is, indeed, a major loss to the profession of journalism in the country.

“Though the grand old man had retired from active practice, he was constantly in touch with the practitioners and was ever willing to contribute his wealth of experience for the development of the industry. It is indeed the end of an era because Alhaji Jose represented the old order of committed practitioners of the pen profession. As a managing director I had the privilege of going through some of the files left behind by Baba and I was able to see first hand what he did while in the Daily Times as the chief executive of the group and it is amazing to acknowledge his level of commitment to the profession. It is even more amazing to pint out that even though he had no university degree he did not just set up the Daily Times Training School, he also went further to insist that reporters in the group must hold, at least, a university degree. That was remarkable for a man who did not have a university degree himself. It is a pity, I am not in Lagos at the moment. I would have given the media a copy of the lecture I delivered on him when he was honoured with a chair at the University of Lagos recently.”

He was stickler for excellence - Zoro: Alhaji Sani Zoro, erstwhile President, Nigeria Union of Journalists, NUJ, also eulogised the departed doyen of Nigerian journalism. His words: “We pay tribute to the greatest media doyen of our time. The death of Alhaji Babatunde Jose can only be only be described as the end of a generation of a media guru who was an astute disciplinarian and a sticker for excellence of his calibre who had lived all his life for the development of the media in Nigeria. As the first indigenous managing director of the Daily Times Group, Alhaji Jose represented the second generation of media practitioners in Nigeria to take the industry beyond the pedestal and took it to a new height of respectability. Whatever measures the nation’s newspapers can take to honour or immortalise this exceptional and rare breed of human being is desirable. I will also call on the Federal Government to consider honouring Alhaji Jose, the pioneer managing director of DTN for his towering contribution to the group, the nation and humanity in general.”

It’s the end of an era - NGE: The newly inaugurated executive council of the NGE expressed shock at the death. The president of the Guild who was sworn in last Monday, Mr. Gbenga Adefaye, said the passage of Jose is the end of an era. His words: “The passage of the doyen of Nigerian journalism, Alhaji Babatunde Jose, signifies the end of and era. He was quite essential to the development of modern journalism not only in Nigeria but in the West African sub-region. Alhaji Jose without any doubt represented an age that took journalism to an enviable height in the country as he encouraged practitioners to do their job excellently.

This he did because he had the privilege of going through the

rank and file of the profession. He was a reporter, editor, managing director and later chairman of the Daily Times Group. He took the company to a new height and made the newspaper so powerful that it became an alternative government in the country which was why the then Obasanjo Government clamped on it and took over the company. “We will miss him greatly but the virtues he represented remain forever. The Nigerian Guild of Editors, NGE, will participate fully in the burial and celebration of the life of a great leader of the profession. He was a colossus in the media industry. We will miss him!”

Nigeria has lost a rare gem - Adegbite: To the secretary-general of Nigerian Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs, NSCIA, Alhaji Lateef Adegbite, the nation has lost a rare and great national figure. Said he: “We have lost a great national figure in Alhaji Babatunde Jose. He represented all that is virtuous. He was a great Muslim that will be remembered for a very long while to come. Alhaji Jose was a towering figure in his chosen career of journalism. He mentored a great number of Nigerian journalists, many of whom are today occupying enviable positions in national life. Jose was a great patriot who contributed immensely to the development of the nation and I am convinced that history will judge him kindly. I am aware that he was honoured with an award but I will not hesitate to recommend him for a higher post-humous award for a man who made such a tremendous contributions to the nation’s life.”

Atiku and former journalists in the Senate and House of Representatives also mourned Jose, remembering him as one of the best role models for the profession. Former journalists in the National Assembly were Senators Chris Anyanwu (PDP, Imo East), Ayogu Eze (PDP, Enugu North), Anyim Ude (PDP, Ebonyi) and former NTA Newsline reporter and now member of the House of Representatives, Abike Dabiri. Atiku in a reaction articulated by his media consultant Mallam Garba Shehu eulogized Jose as an “an institution in journalism, politics and leadership in Islam,"saying he said lived an exemplary and fulfilled life.

Anyanwu, the former NTA Newsline anchor, said: “Jose lived a purposeful and fulfilled life. He left a mark in the practice of journalism. His journalism had a positive purpose- advancement of society. He will be missed.” Eze, a former journalist with The Guardian, said: “It is devastating. A great loss to Nigeria and the journalism profession. We will miss him. We wish his family well and pray God to grant his soul repose.” Ude, a former broadcast journalist with the Imo Broadcasting Service, said: “His name was unanimous with Daily Times and since he left Daily Times has never been the same again. It is unfortunate we are gradually losing some of the best of our founding fathers in journalism."

Dabiri said: “He lived a great legacy. He remains a role model not only to journalists but all young professionals. Integrity should always be our watchword and he was virtuous, disciplined and God fearing." Mr Sola Odunfa described Jose as a man blessed by God. Odunfa’s words: “He was a man blessed by God. From a humble beginning he grew into an Icon in Nigeria publishing industry. “He was revered by all. He nurtured a generation of journalists who attained the pinnacles in the profession across Nigeria. “It was a privilege to work under his tutelage. Above all, at his retirement, God gave him the grace to grow into old age and total devotion to His service. Nigeria and the profession of journalism have lost an irreplaceable giant.”

Senator Sikiru Shitta-Bey said Jose was “a great man, a gentleman and a very senior brother who dedicated his life to the service of Nigeria.” “He trained a lot of people who have become highly prominent now. And he was an achiever; a very very humble man. He contributed a lot to the growth and development of Nigeria. “The country will miss him a lot. We will miss him very seriously, “he added.

http://odili.net/news/source/2008/aug/3/302.html
Re: Babatunde, Nigeria's Media Icon Dies @ 82 by MrCrackles(m): 10:41am On Aug 04, 2008
RIP Alhaji B Jose sad
Re: Babatunde, Nigeria's Media Icon Dies @ 82 by Shaz(f): 3:32pm On Aug 04, 2008
May his soul rest in peace

(1) (Reply)

J Martins Denies Rift With P-square / Iyanya & Yvonne Nelson Reconcile, Tontoh Dikeh Dumped? / Pix: Adele Yells At Chris Brown During Grammy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.