Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,651 members, 7,809,457 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:59 AM

Confessions Of A Ghana-based Nigerian Youth - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Confessions Of A Ghana-based Nigerian Youth (57068 Views)

Confessions Of An Economic Hitman: Why Nigeria May Not Develop With Gej! / Special Report: Confessions Of A (ghanaian) Gold Scammer / Nigerian Youth Should Learn Money Making From (dangote) Worlds Richest Black Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Confessions Of A Ghana-based Nigerian Youth by DesChyko1(m): 11:00pm On Dec 26, 2013
My father always told me that doing business in Ghana is now very hard, unlike how it was years before. This comment I never really understood till today. The assumption that a young man learns more from his peers proved true in this case, as I finally got to have an insight through this childhood friend of mine who has just spent fourteen months (a year and two months) in Ghana. Below are his real life experiences of life as an upcoming business man in Ghana (figures are converted to naira instead of cefa/cedis for easier comprehension).

[b]"Whomever tells you that becoming self-made in Ghana now is easy is either an old-timer or a pretender. Living in Ghana is never easy, especially on us Nigerians. My house rent alone costs me N84,000 per year, aside from the contributions of my housemates. It is true that electricity is always on, but we pay dearly for it. In a three-bedroom flat occupied by four of us, we utilize about N360,000 yearly on electricity. Even my feeding alone costs an average of N220,000 (more than) yearly at a rate of N600 daily or more. My spendings on airtime for transactions and data costs about N200 daily, making more than N72,000 yearly."

"This won't have been much of a load but for the inconsiderate actions of our Ghanian business partners, in my opinion, which are to oppress we Nigerians. They hold meetings to send one of their agents to journey down to Lagos (in Nigeria) to find out the cost prices of goods, and thus, fix their price based on cost price, completely ignoring the transportation and clearance expenditures. This has forced the Nigerian old timers (or shop owners) in Ghana to sell at same price as suppliers (new comers) in Ghana, making it difficult for new comers to survive in the business climate. As a result, most new comers are looking for passage into alternative countries to escape this monopolized economy. Any money I make there, is going back to the country's purse in the name of house rent, taxes, electricity and feeding. I can't even send back money for a bag of cement to start a building at home, not even considering other comforts of life.
I used to make N12,000 weekly (after expenses) here at Owerri (in Imo State, Nigeria), which enabled me to save enough money to seek the green pastures I thought existed in Ghana. If I see any link to my former means of livelihood here, I'm never returning to Ghana. For now, my going back there is only because of my debtors, who owe me much more than half my earnings in my entire stay there. As for remaining there to become someone, it's not likely to happen," he concluded.[/b]

14 Likes

Re: Confessions Of A Ghana-based Nigerian Youth by martyns303(m): 11:15pm On Dec 26, 2013
Why would anyone go to Ghana?

22 Likes

Re: Confessions Of A Ghana-based Nigerian Youth by enigmagu1(m): 11:21pm On Dec 26, 2013
hmmmmmmmmm....leave ghana for ppl like mike adenuga ...dangote...and d likes to reap them off on your behalf........hehehe na joke oooo

10 Likes

Re: Confessions Of A Ghana-based Nigerian Youth by Sagytarius(m): 12:17am On Dec 27, 2013
House rent of 84k (x4 occupants)= N336000 for 3-bedroom apartment shocked Na bulletproof house?

23 Likes

Re: Confessions Of A Ghana-based Nigerian Youth by Andyblaze: 12:18am On Dec 27, 2013
I guess you must have decided to go to Ghana in order to feel among the "abroad boys" and not necessarily for greener pastures because for you to have saved up the amount of money you used for travelling, your pastures must have been green here in Nigeria.

Now check it out, all the expenses you make on food,electricity,rent,data etc are definitely higher than what you would have spent in Nigeria. If you had stayed back and persevered in your fatherland, who knows, maybe you would have become a household name in your business field in Owerri.

It is terrible to imagine that while some people complain that they don't have enough money to send back home from Europe,Asia,American after expenses, you make same complaint from a country like Ghana.

Anyways, thanks for warning others of the imminent danger

angry angry

48 Likes

Re: Confessions Of A Ghana-based Nigerian Youth by sKeetz(m): 12:18am On Dec 27, 2013
Who mess here? angry

2 Likes

Re: Confessions Of A Ghana-based Nigerian Youth by dayoungmoney1: 12:22am On Dec 27, 2013
make i sleep wake up first before i comment. yanwzzzz.. aaahhhh

4 Likes

Re: Confessions Of A Ghana-based Nigerian Youth by pri3stess(f): 12:22am On Dec 27, 2013
Wetin una dey do for Ghana self? They are just showing us pepper for what we did to them back in the 80s.

3 Likes

Re: Confessions Of A Ghana-based Nigerian Youth by free2ryhme: 12:23am On Dec 27, 2013
Re: Confessions Of A Ghana-based Nigerian Youth by alotofgrace(m): 12:24am On Dec 27, 2013
gmg
Re: Confessions Of A Ghana-based Nigerian Youth by romzyxy(m): 12:24am On Dec 27, 2013
sKeetz: Who mess here? angry
Ω̴̴̩̩̩̥̩a̶̲̥̅̊ u...phool!
Re: Confessions Of A Ghana-based Nigerian Youth by lordhugo(m): 12:24am On Dec 27, 2013
[size=20pt]Pictures of ghana with you in a cab. Or in front of a statue or it never happened. [/size]

19 Likes

Re: Confessions Of A Ghana-based Nigerian Youth by romzyxy(m): 12:25am On Dec 27, 2013
pri3stess: Wetin una dey do for Ghana self? They are just showing us pepper for what we did to them back in the 80s.
Help M̶̲̅ε̲̣̣̣̥ ask dem o?
Re: Confessions Of A Ghana-based Nigerian Youth by Nobody: 12:25am On Dec 27, 2013
The same feeling you get the moment you arrive abroad. Reality sets in grin grin The feeling is mutual Bro. cool

9 Likes

Re: Confessions Of A Ghana-based Nigerian Youth by Nightshift(m): 12:26am On Dec 27, 2013
Wherever i remember Ghana what comes to my mind is a country of gold and finest Highlife music. Accra is also a beautiful city to hangout, but Ghana does not have the kind of rich big population that makes trading or retailing a lucrative business.

12 Likes

Re: Confessions Of A Ghana-based Nigerian Youth by ndubisik(m): 12:26am On Dec 27, 2013
Ok

1 Like

Re: Confessions Of A Ghana-based Nigerian Youth by Nobody: 12:29am On Dec 27, 2013
hehehe! We initiated Ghana-must-Go, its now their turn.

8 Likes

Re: Confessions Of A Ghana-based Nigerian Youth by Smartjeezy(m): 12:29am On Dec 27, 2013
Ghana?I Dey Crazy?I Dont Know Reason Why Those Nigga Down There Hate Nigerians So Much?Akwaba

2 Likes

Re: Confessions Of A Ghana-based Nigerian Youth by LilBRightTMc(m): 12:29am On Dec 27, 2013
I'll never leave Nigeria for any African country not even SA

86 Likes

Re: Confessions Of A Ghana-based Nigerian Youth by Zimzy(m): 12:30am On Dec 27, 2013
Ghana don almost turn UK finish oooo. Better come back home

1 Like

Re: Confessions Of A Ghana-based Nigerian Youth by Licensed2Kill(m): 12:31am On Dec 27, 2013
Andyblaze: .
free2ryhme:
free2ryhme:
ur brain dat slow to think of an appropriate response or u jst got dat big urge to feel important by "bookin" for space on d 1st page? Beats me.

2 Likes

Re: Confessions Of A Ghana-based Nigerian Youth by faitheverest(f): 12:32am On Dec 27, 2013
Is Ghana name of a person,animal,place or thing? undecided

16 Likes

Re: Confessions Of A Ghana-based Nigerian Youth by Realrex(m): 12:33am On Dec 27, 2013
Ghana oya na grin

2 Likes

Re: Confessions Of A Ghana-based Nigerian Youth by Asemo11(m): 12:33am On Dec 27, 2013
Ghana most G̶̲̥̅̊ợ̣̣̇̇̇ now ₪a̶̲̥̅̊ nigerians must endure
Re: Confessions Of A Ghana-based Nigerian Youth by Nobody: 12:38am On Dec 27, 2013
sKeetz: Who mess here? angry

32 Likes

Re: Confessions Of A Ghana-based Nigerian Youth by EyesWideOpen(m): 12:39am On Dec 27, 2013
lordhugo: [size=20pt]Pictures of ghana with you in a cab. Or in front of a statue or it never happened. angry angry angry[/size]
Re: Confessions Of A Ghana-based Nigerian Youth by Nobody: 12:45am On Dec 27, 2013
Abeg wetin concern me? Na me send u go there? U should af be ready for challenges na
Re: Confessions Of A Ghana-based Nigerian Youth by efilefun(m): 12:47am On Dec 27, 2013
Sagytarius: House rent of 84k (x4 occupants)= N336000 for 3-bedroom apartment shocked Na bulletproof house?

I tire ooo, sure say that house go dey mobile self

1 Like

Re: Confessions Of A Ghana-based Nigerian Youth by SLIDEwaxie(m): 12:48am On Dec 27, 2013
Have u eva slapped a ghanian?

Well, dnt!!!

grin grin grin

52 Likes

Re: Confessions Of A Ghana-based Nigerian Youth by danjalingo: 12:50am On Dec 27, 2013
Zimzy :
Ghana don almost turn UK finish oooo. Better come back home

what did he say he's going back to do there again?
Re: Confessions Of A Ghana-based Nigerian Youth by Nobody: 12:50am On Dec 27, 2013
no be small tin oh

2 Likes

Re: Confessions Of A Ghana-based Nigerian Youth by Olastep(m): 12:53am On Dec 27, 2013
Simple!!!

COME BACK TO NIGERIA.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply)

Black Friday At Shoprite: Nigerians Struggle To Buy Goods / 11 Business Opportunities In Africa That Will Make More Millionaires In 2016 / Photos Of MC Oluomo's Three Wives

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.