Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,035 members, 7,818,059 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:14 AM

What Jehovah's Witnesses Won't Tell You About Christmas, Bdays & Flag Salute - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Jehovah's Witnesses Won't Tell You About Christmas, Bdays & Flag Salute (910 Views)

See What Jehovah's Witnesses Offered As Gift (pic) / What They Won't Tell You At The Abortion Clinic. / Man Shoots At Jehovah Witnesses For Visiting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Jehovah's Witnesses Won't Tell You About Christmas, Bdays & Flag Salute by Yooguyz: 4:49pm On Dec 28, 2013
It is claimed that in 1919 Jesus chose the Watchtower Society to
be his sole channel for salvation,based on it being the only
Organization teaching and practicing truth. Yet numerous practiced of 1919 are now considered to be pagan. This
makes mockery of any claim that the Organization had special
standing in Jesus' eyes in 1919. The Bible Students actively engaged in and even promoted
celebrating Christmas, birthdays and Mothers Day until well after
1919. These were thought out apparently under the guidance of
Holy Spirit and explained as acceptable. Now the same Holy Spirit has dictated that they are
to be considered pagan or
creature worship and those that participate are described as 'ignorant'

Christmas

"When Jehovah's Witnesses cast aside religious teachings that
had pagan roots, they also quit sharing in many customs that were similarly tainted. But for a
time, certain holidays were not given the careful scrutiny that
they needed. One of these was Christmas." Jehovah's Witnesses -Proclaimers of God's Kingdom p.198

Bible Students celebrated
Christmas well after they were 'cleansed' in 1919. The discussion of this in the Proclaimers book lets one draw the conclusion that this was a pagan celebration inherited from Christendom, but subsequently discarded once properly considered. Yet Jehovah's Slave
had considered Christmas and not only concluded that it was acceptable for Christians but promoted it as "of the greatest
importance."

"Even though Christmas is not the real anniversary of our Lord's birth, but more properly the annunciation day or the date of his human begetting (Luke 1:28),
nevertheless, since the
celebration of our Lord's birth is not a matter of divine appointment or injunction, but merely a tribute of respect to
him, it is not necessary for us to quibble particularly about the date. We may as well join with
the civilized world in celebrating
the grand event on the day which the majority celebrate -"Christmas day."" Zion's Watch
Tower 1904 Dec 1 p.364

The following picture below is from a
postcard photo of the Bethel Christmas meal in 1926. Included in the photo are Rutherford,
Knorr and Franz.
Watchtower followers stopped celebrating Christmas from 1928.

"What caused the Bible Students to stop celebrating Christmas?
Richard H. Barber gave this answer: "I was asked to give an hour talk over a [radio] hookup
on the subject of Christmas. It was given December 12, 1928,
and published in The Golden Age #241 and again a year later in
#268. That talk pointed out the pagan origin of Christmas. After
that, the brothers at Bethel never celebrated Christmas again."

Re: What Jehovah's Witnesses Won't Tell You About Christmas, Bdays & Flag Salute by Yooguyz: 5:06pm On Dec 28, 2013
Birthdays

The quote below from the 1975 Yearbook makes it appear that
birthdays stopped being
celebrated shortly after Christmas in 1928.

"Did we mind putting those pagan things away?" asks
Charles John Brandlein.
"Absolutely not. This was just complying with new things learned, and we had never known before they were pagan.
It was just like taking a soiled garment off and throwing it away." Next, birthday celebrations and Mother's Day were discarded-more creature
worship. Sister Lilian Kammerud recalls: "How readily the brothers
all dropped these holidays and admitted they were glad to be
free. New truths always make us happy and . . . we felt we were
privileged to know things that others were ignorant
about.""Yearbook 1975 p.147

In reality, birthdays continued being celebrated until 1951. In
1940, the following experience shows birthdays were still
considered appropriate;

"Pardon me for intruding on your precious time, but I just can't help letting you know how
much I appreciate the
phonograph which came to me on the morning after the 8th, which was my 80th birthday. It
was indeed a birthday gift from Jehovah, to be used in proclaiming his name. May grace
and strength be given me to do with my might what my hands find to do." Watchtower 1940
Jan 1 p.16

In 1951 that the Watchtower stated the Witnesses were no
longer to celebrate birthdays.

"Is it proper to have or attend celebrations of birthday anniversaries?-F. K., Nevada. Such
celebrations have their roots in pagan religions, and not Scriptural grounds. Some Bible
commentators suggest that birthday celebrations may have had their origin in the "notion of
the immortality of the soul"."
Watchtower 1951 Oct 1 p.607 Questions from Readers

There is nothing unscriptural about celebrating birthdays. Most Witnesses struggle to explain why they can't without some
embarrassment at the shallow reasoning used. Romans 14:5-6
advises not to judge others and their celebrations:

"One indeed judges a day above another; and another one judges
every day alike, Let each one be fully assured in his own mind.
The one minding the day, he minds it to the Lord. And the one not minding the day, he does not
mind it to the Lord. The one eating, he eats to the Lord; for he give thanks to God. And the one
not eating, he does not eat to the Lord, and gives thanks to God."

Once more we see that so called pagan doctrine and practices promoted in the Watchtower by the Governing Body were not
replaced by new light until decades after Jesus is said to have cleansed his people. This is
in sharp contrast with Christian times. How many times did the
Apostles issue a decision under God's direction through the Bible
letters, only to later decide that it
was wrong and introduce an almost opposite viewpoint?
JMAN05, truthislight, Maximus, BARRISTERS where are you?
UPDATING....
Re: What Jehovah's Witnesses Won't Tell You About Christmas, Bdays & Flag Salute by kennybelle: 5:36pm On Dec 28, 2013
Have u ever been caned 4 celebrating it? I believe we all have our diff opinions abt d scriptures, so stop condeming n judging! I‘d rather u do dis, Gal 6:4 than proclaim urself as being righteous as it‘s only God that sees the heart. Work ur way to salvation rather than blasphem!
Re: What Jehovah's Witnesses Won't Tell You About Christmas, Bdays & Flag Salute by Hadeyemy: 5:49pm On Dec 28, 2013
I dnt understant wat dz op z tryin to say. God
Re: What Jehovah's Witnesses Won't Tell You About Christmas, Bdays & Flag Salute by MyJoe: 6:01pm On Dec 28, 2013
Hadeyemy: I dnt understant wat dz op z tryin to say. God
I suggest you read it again. It's a very significant "op".

Here, let me help you with the gist of it.
Yooguyz: It is claimed that in 1919 Jesus chose the Watchtower Society to
be his sole channel for salvation,based on it being the only
Organization teaching and practicing truth. Yet numerous practiced of 1919 are now considered to be pagan. This
makes mockery of any claim that the Organization had special
standing in Jesus' eyes in 1919.
Re: What Jehovah's Witnesses Won't Tell You About Christmas, Bdays & Flag Salute by Yooguyz: 6:30pm On Dec 28, 2013
kennybelle: Have u ever been caned 4 celebrating it? I believe we all have our diff opinions abt d scriptures, so stop condeming n judging!
am not codeming and judging, am just exposing watchtower hypocrisy
I‘d rather u do dis, Gal 6:4 than proclaim urself as being righteous as it‘s only God that sees the heart. Work ur way to salvation rather than blasphem!

can you kindly quote the post where i may have blasphemed? Thank you.
Re: What Jehovah's Witnesses Won't Tell You About Christmas, Bdays & Flag Salute by EmmanuelCena(m): 6:38pm On Dec 28, 2013
Yooguyz:
am not codeming and judging, am just exposing watchtower hypocrisy

can you kindly quote the post where i may have blasphemed? Thank you.

Bro,wel said
dz z a wel don job
u've spokn wel
let dem jw cum 2 defend dz
Re: What Jehovah's Witnesses Won't Tell You About Christmas, Bdays & Flag Salute by Yooguyz: 7:15pm On Dec 28, 2013
continuation of OP

flag salute

An oft quoted identifier that the Watchtower Society is the only
true religion is that Jehovah's Witnesses do not participate in
politics. This too has undergone change.
In the following 1918
Watchtower article the United States is praised and Bible Students were requested to pray
for the Americans to be
successful in the war against Germany.

"In accordance with the
resolution of Congress of April 2nd, and with the proclamation of the president of the United
States of May 11, it is suggested that the Lord's people everywhere make May 30th a day of prayer and supplication. God
was graciously pleased to cause the nation to be formed and to grow under the most favorable
conditions in the world for the preservation of liberty, civil and religious.
This is a land divinely "shadowed with wings"--over-shadowed by
the providential watchcare of God's word --where God has lifted up an ensign on the mountain (kingdom), and where he has blown the trumpet message of the truth. Here the love of truth has for three
thousand years attracted from all quarters of the world people who love God, love the Bible and
love religious liberty. Here, practically alone of all the nations, exists in the fundamental laws of
the land the safeguard that so long as the Constitution stands
no law may be made nor any governmental action taken prohibiting the free exercise of religion, or abridging the freedom of speech or the press.
Countless blessings have flowed to devout people through the wise provisions of the laws of
the United States,blessing whose influences have been felt to the
remotest corners of the earth, whenever even a spark of love for God-given freedom might be
fanned into a glow. Here, more perhaps than elsewhere, exists
that "present" which shall be brought unto Jehovah (Isaiah 18:7), earth's oblation (Ezekiel 45:1) to God of that class who,
when in the age to come the restitution hosts shall be numbered, shall be found to have been "born in Zion" (Psalm 87:5,6), taken out of the world and given, in a figure, as humanity's present to their God, to be
forever sons and servants of the Most High.
This class love to "assemble themselves together, and so
much the more as they see the day approaching" (Hebrews10:25), and they will be of all people the most ready to embrace an opportunity of
gathering in an additional service of prayer and supplication. As says the spirit through the
Apostle Paul: "I exhort, therefore, that first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions and giving
of thanks, be made for all men; for kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all
godliness and honesty. For this is good and acceptable in the sight
of God our Saviour." (I Timothy 2:1-3) Let there be praise and thanks-giving to God for the
promised glorious outcome of the war, the breaking of the shackles of autocracy, the freeing
of the captives (Isaiah 61:1) and
the making of the world safe for the common people--blessings all
assured by the Word of God to the people of this country and of the whole world of mankind."
Watchtower 1918 June 1 p.174

"May 30 for Prayer and
Supplication" In addition to praising the United
States and praying for their victory the Watchtower also
stated that showing honour to the flag was acceptable. The
American Bethel home displayed a bust of Abraham Lincoln and 2
American flags.
"Suppose the city or state officials should issue an order requiring, or even requesting, that all persons display the
American flag. What should we do? We answer, We think it
would be right to display the flag in obedience to such order or request
. Every one in America
should take pleasure in
displaying the American flag -especially when requested so to
do." Watch Tower 1917 May 15

In 1929 Rutherford started to incorrectly claim that the
Superior Authorities of Romans 13:1 that deserve our allegience did not apply to governments.
This incorrect conclusion led to justification of breaking the laws
of the land and distancing
themselves from politics. Yet did not the 1917 Watch Tower rightfully explain that we should
give thanks to the authorities in order to be able to live quiet and
peaceable lives (1 Tim 2:1-3)?

Political involvement by God's followers is shown consistently throughout the Bible. The New
Testament says to show respect for the 'higher authorities' and
pay 'Caesars things to Caesar'. The Governing Body prayed for
Holy Spirit before giving the opinion in 1917 that displaying the flag is acceptable. To later
revoke that position shows that Holy Spirit does not operate
through the Governing Body.
Re: What Jehovah's Witnesses Won't Tell You About Christmas, Bdays & Flag Salute by Yooguyz: 2:55pm On Dec 30, 2013
Re: What Jehovah's Witnesses Won't Tell You About Christmas, Bdays & Flag Salute by honeychild(f): 9:51pm On Dec 30, 2013
I would have thought that when people are so eager to please God that they are ready to drop things they used to practice or believe because they discovered it is unbiblical, and they are not afraid to proclaim what they know to all and sundry, they would be commended for it. I think what JWs have been saying since 1928 is what Pastor Kumuyi with all his Holy Spirit is just discovering in 2013.

1 Like

Re: What Jehovah's Witnesses Won't Tell You About Christmas, Bdays & Flag Salute by Hadeyemy: 7:36am On Dec 31, 2013
honeychild: I would have thought that when people are so eager to please God that they are ready to drop things they used to practice or believe because they discovered it is unbiblical, and they are not afraid to proclaim what they know to all and sundry, they would be commended for it. I think what JWs have been saying since 1928 is what Pastor Kumuyi with all his Holy Spirit is just discovering in 2013.

probably i would have given you 1000 likes!
Re: What Jehovah's Witnesses Won't Tell You About Christmas, Bdays & Flag Salute by Hadeyemy: 7:46am On Dec 31, 2013
Op is not significant at all! . I dont know where you are arriving at . Your view as regards this is not clearly stated .honey child just spoke my mind
honeychild: I would have thought that when people are so eager to please God that they are ready to drop things they used to practice or believe because they discovered it is unbiblical, and they are not afraid to proclaim what they know to all and sundry, they would be commended for it. I think what JWs have been saying since 1928 is what Pastor Kumuyi with all his Holy Spirit is just discovering in 2013.
Op is not significant at all! . I dont know where you are arriving at . Your view as regards this is not clearly stated .
Re: What Jehovah's Witnesses Won't Tell You About Christmas, Bdays & Flag Salute by Yooguyz: 1:43pm On Dec 31, 2013
honeychild: I think what JWs have been saying since 1928 is what Pastor Kumuyi with all his Holy Spirit is just discovering in 2013.

nice one honeychild! Buh be careful. There is a proverb that says

those who live in glass houses should not throw stones
Re: What Jehovah's Witnesses Won't Tell You About Christmas, Bdays & Flag Salute by Yooguyz: 1:56pm On Dec 31, 2013
Hadeyemy: Op is not significant at all! . I dont know where you are arriving at

MY POINT

1. The watchtower at a time were celebrating christmas even after the said " Jesus cleansing of of spiritual temple ", took place in 1919

2. After proclaiming that birthdays were of pagan origin, they continued
celebrating it right up to the 1950's

don't you think that's hypocrital of them?

(1) (Reply)

Reaching Out To The Unchurched / Miracle: Thunder Strikes Fleeing Robbery Suspects After Stealing From Church. / Who Controls Natural Disasters, God Or Satan?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.