Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,084 members, 7,821,741 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:39 PM

Gregory University, Abia To Make Igbo Language A Compulsory Course - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Gregory University, Abia To Make Igbo Language A Compulsory Course (9708 Views)

Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? / University To Make Igbo Language Compulsory Course For All Students / Gregory University Uturu (GUU) Abia State Begins Admission (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Gregory University, Abia To Make Igbo Language A Compulsory Course by checkdate(m): 5:21pm On Dec 29, 2013
Please spell words correctly when you post,
and try to use perfect grammar and
punctuation.
Re: Gregory University, Abia To Make Igbo Language A Compulsory Course by Nobody: 5:22pm On Dec 29, 2013
Start of first by at least giving the institution, a name like Gburu-Gburu UNIVERSITY, then make IGBO compulsory. wink

4 Likes

Re: Gregory University, Abia To Make Igbo Language A Compulsory Course by Xtfield(m): 5:23pm On Dec 29, 2013
I have always admired the Igbo people. Unlike my Yoruba people, Igbos are very good at passing on their language and traditions to their children wherever they live. Hardly can you see an Igbo child who will not understand and speak the language at age 6. Not like the Yorubas who view speaking Yoruba as a sign of backwardness. We sure have a lot to learn from the Igbos on this and other issues.

4 Likes

Re: Gregory University, Abia To Make Igbo Language A Compulsory Course by deor03(m): 5:24pm On Dec 29, 2013
What's an irony !! Why not start by changing the name of the school to a local name.

1 Like

Re: Gregory University, Abia To Make Igbo Language A Compulsory Course by kingthreat(m): 5:27pm On Dec 29, 2013
Please let a course on the Rise and Fall of the state of Biafra also be compulsory. it's good Igbos know their 20th century history as well as their language.
Re: Gregory University, Abia To Make Igbo Language A Compulsory Course by IAMBREEZY: 5:39pm On Dec 29, 2013
Good
Re: Gregory University, Abia To Make Igbo Language A Compulsory Course by satellitedaisy: 5:47pm On Dec 29, 2013
Kwakwaaaakwaaakwaaaa. Laughing in igbo language.

Atuoru omalu omal, atuora ofeke, ofenye isi n'ohia

Onye kpara nku ahuhu yoro ngweri oru

Oruo n'omume, oye agbana oso

No body forced non igbos to study in igbo land
Re: Gregory University, Abia To Make Igbo Language A Compulsory Course by true2god: 6:01pm On Dec 29, 2013
peeta4u: Na by force?
Yes ooo.

1 Like

Re: Gregory University, Abia To Make Igbo Language A Compulsory Course by Mmadu111: 6:10pm On Dec 29, 2013
Serendipity: I am Igbo, but this is the apogee of rudderlessness. Igbo is a microscopic langiage and the knowledge of it is more or less useless. This is truer given that the majority of pupils that will attend that glorified secondary school varsity are Igbos who in most cases were taught the subject in high school and have thus gotten a smattering of the language.
you're a lost soul, Even white Men cherish ur language (Igbo), Idoit.

4 Likes

Re: Gregory University, Abia To Make Igbo Language A Compulsory Course by Emmyk(m): 6:30pm On Dec 29, 2013
Xtfield: I have always admired the Igbo people. Unlike my Yoruba people, Igbos are very good at passing on their language and traditions to their children wherever they live. Hardly can you see an Igbo child who will not understand and speak the language at age 6. Not like the Yorubas who view speaking Yoruba as a sign of backwardness. We sure have a lot to learn from the Igbos on this and other issues.

Okay. We have seen you. Because you cant speak yoruba doesnt mean I cant speak it. H

In a nutshell, you are saying, Hardly can I see a Yoruba child who will speak the language at age 6?
Re: Gregory University, Abia To Make Igbo Language A Compulsory Course by Nobody: 6:48pm On Dec 29, 2013
A likirim ya undecided

Afurum ihe nke a n'anya lipsrsealed

Obu ezibote ihe cool

Odi oyi smiley
Re: Gregory University, Abia To Make Igbo Language A Compulsory Course by fidatt(f): 6:51pm On Dec 29, 2013
Good
Re: Gregory University, Abia To Make Igbo Language A Compulsory Course by Asemo11(m): 6:52pm On Dec 29, 2013
johnwizey: lol..........shebi i tell u yesterday say e don finish

I am a lawyer, so dont threaten me
charge and bail lawyer. u way never finish law school
Re: Gregory University, Abia To Make Igbo Language A Compulsory Course by madnigerian: 6:53pm On Dec 29, 2013
It isn't a bad idea....

My only problem is that the teaching of Nigerian languages in this country is done in such a way that it is sometimes difficult for beginners to learn.

If the University can divide learners into beginners, intermediate and advanced classes, it would be much better.

Other universities should do same.....

1 Like

Re: Gregory University, Abia To Make Igbo Language A Compulsory Course by maasoap(m): 7:24pm On Dec 29, 2013
Are we truly sure that this man is a professor? Introducing language as a compulsory course at university level? I think that should be the case in both primary and secondary school levels in the entire region. Why would anyone try to make life difficult for others? Language as a subject is not what one can master in just one year. Or, is professor saying that the students will study the course for their entire stay in the school? We have too many people in this country who couldn't reason well. No management will endorse it, no student will find it funny.
Re: Gregory University, Abia To Make Igbo Language A Compulsory Course by odumchi: 7:46pm On Dec 29, 2013
Serendipity: I am Igbo, but this is the apogee of rudderlessness. Igbo is a microscopic langiage and the knowledge of it is more or less useless. This is truer given that the majority of pupils that will attend that glorified secondary school varsity are Igbos who in most cases were taught the subject in high school and have thus gotten a smattering of the language.

Ahu adii gi.
Re: Gregory University, Abia To Make Igbo Language A Compulsory Course by alotofgrace(m): 7:47pm On Dec 29, 2013
grin
cheesy
grin
grin

grin
grin
grin
cheesy
cheesy
grin
grin
cheesy
Re: Gregory University, Abia To Make Igbo Language A Compulsory Course by meforyou1(m): 7:58pm On Dec 29, 2013
I'm igbo but don't support this. Why not the usual 'Nigeria Peoples and Culture' that is compulsory for all year 1 students. And even igbo language will be compulsory, why not in year 1 instead of 2?
Well since aragbesola said he would make Yoruba language the language of instruction in all osun schools, then I see nothing with this except that it should be for all freshers not yr 2
Re: Gregory University, Abia To Make Igbo Language A Compulsory Course by meforyou1(m): 8:08pm On Dec 29, 2013
Xtfield: I have always admired the Igbo people. Unlike my Yoruba people, Igbos are very good at passing on their language and traditions to their children wherever they live. Hardly can you see an Igbo child who will not understand and speak the language at age 6. Not like the Yorubas who view speaking Yoruba as a sign of backwardness. We sure have a lot to learn from the Igbos on this and other issues.
the best at it is the hausas. No matter the affluence, you see Hausa children born even in Europe and America speaking their language fluently. Some affluent igbo families don't allow vernacular in their homes, but the good thing is that they mostly go home for Xmas or easter, and the children mingle with their mates and learn a thing or 2.
English is not our mother tongue, let's teach our children our language.
Remember that the author of Roots was able to trace his original home back to Gambia after 7 generations because of the local language that was passed from generation to generation
Re: Gregory University, Abia To Make Igbo Language A Compulsory Course by cheruv: 9:57pm On Dec 29, 2013
Not surprised....
IDIOCY..its in you!!!
Re: Gregory University, Abia To Make Igbo Language A Compulsory Course by SPEED5: 9:57pm On Dec 29, 2013
Ur noting but simply a DUN.CE
Re: Gregory University, Abia To Make Igbo Language A Compulsory Course by SPEED5: 10:00pm On Dec 29, 2013
NnamdiN: Shouldn't be compulsory. Imagine a yoruba/hausa person carrying over an igbo language course ? It's weird. French was compulsory in high school, how many of us actually know french ?
I wonder y some igbo people r self destruct

1 Like

Re: Gregory University, Abia To Make Igbo Language A Compulsory Course by cheruv: 10:10pm On Dec 29, 2013
dimples*:
A likirim ya undecided

Afurum ihe nke a n'anya lipsrsealed

Obu ezibote ihe cool

Odi oyi smiley
I know say na girl(ajiboota) dey speak this thing...lee ihe I naasu igbo ka nga a naacha ugu jiri mma nadighi nko.M kpuo gi akanti ugbu a dimpulz juru gi n'ihu acha rosen rosen angry eleghi anya I so shekeleke ndi a kporo onwe ha nwaanyi naakpa nganga iberibe undecided
Re: Gregory University, Abia To Make Igbo Language A Compulsory Course by SPEED5: 10:16pm On Dec 29, 2013
deor03: What's an irony !! Why not start by changing the name of the school to a local name.
Stop always criticising at lest we start from somewhere
Re: Gregory University, Abia To Make Igbo Language A Compulsory Course by SPEED5: 10:27pm On Dec 29, 2013
me_for_you: I'm igbo but don't support this. Why not the usual 'Nigeria Peoples and Culture' that is compulsory for all year 1 students. And even igbo language will be compulsory, why not in year 1 instead of 2?
Well since aragbesola said he would make Yoruba language the language of instruction in all osun schools, then I see nothing with this except that it should be for all freshers not yr 2
So its when Aregbeshola approves something that it becomes right to you. You have a complex problem

1 Like

Re: Gregory University, Abia To Make Igbo Language A Compulsory Course by Lilimax(f): 10:32pm On Dec 29, 2013
satellitedaisy: Kwakwaaaakwaaakwaaaa. Laughing in igbo language.

Atuoru omalu omal, atuora ofeke, ofenye isi n'ohia

Onye kpara nku ahuhu yoro ngweri oru

Oruo n'omume, oye agbana oso

No body forced non igbos to study in igbo land
Odikwa egwu oo. Invariably they are telling non Igbos to steer clear of the school undecided Onwekwara ka odi biko.
Re: Gregory University, Abia To Make Igbo Language A Compulsory Course by Nobody: 10:37pm On Dec 29, 2013
cheruv:
I know say na girl(ajiboota) dey speak this thing...lee ihe I naasu igbo ka nga a naacha ugu jiri mma nadighi nko.M kpuo gi akanti ugbu a dimpulz juru gi n'ihu acha rosen rosen angry eleghi anya I so shekeleke ndi a kporo onwe ha nwaanyi naakpa nganga iberibe undecided

Ka chineke nna onye kere mu na gi gozie gi.
Re: Gregory University, Abia To Make Igbo Language A Compulsory Course by OneNaira6: 11:06pm On Dec 29, 2013

You're an !diot with low self esteem

1 Like

Re: Gregory University, Abia To Make Igbo Language A Compulsory Course by SPEED5: 11:16pm On Dec 29, 2013
Lilimax: Odikwa egwu oo. Invariably they are telling non Igbos to steer clear of the school undecided Onwekwara ka odi biko.
why do you fail to see the bigger picture. We are talking about language preservation and your more concerned about pleasing outsiders. This speaks of your self worth

1 Like

Re: Gregory University, Abia To Make Igbo Language A Compulsory Course by Nobody: 11:48pm On Dec 29, 2013
Tonyfrancis: The only better story I have had from "God's own" state lately

#ma condom don burst inside oo
da'hell?? I'm the only one that suppose to be bearing this name undecided undecided
Re: Gregory University, Abia To Make Igbo Language A Compulsory Course by Nobody: 12:55am On Dec 30, 2013
@OP

Please,post images of the University !
Re: Gregory University, Abia To Make Igbo Language A Compulsory Course by ketoprofen(m): 4:01am On Dec 30, 2013
The worst hit in these tnz are Igbo children raised outside SE.
Measures to ensure they speak Igbo are more paramount than those of SEners.
Igbo Lang is not dying in the SE,

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Neco Registration Fees & Charges 2024 [ssce, Bece & Ncee] / Universities That Give Admission Easily In Nigeria / Please How Do One Multiply 3x3 And 3x4 Matrices?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.