Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,142 members, 7,821,895 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:07 PM

Gregory University, Abia To Make Igbo Language A Compulsory Course - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Gregory University, Abia To Make Igbo Language A Compulsory Course (9709 Views)

Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? / University To Make Igbo Language Compulsory Course For All Students / Gregory University Uturu (GUU) Abia State Begins Admission (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Gregory University, Abia To Make Igbo Language A Compulsory Course by ketoprofen(m): 4:04am On Dec 30, 2013
cheruv:
I know say na girl(ajiboota) dey speak this thing...lee ihe I naasu igbo ka nga a naacha ugu jiri mma nadighi nko.M kpuo gi akanti ugbu a dimpulz juru gi n'ihu acha rosen rosen angry eleghi anya I so shekeleke ndi a kporo onwe ha nwaanyi naakpa nganga iberibe undecided

o ka na ede chaachaa I na agbaghari
Re: Gregory University, Abia To Make Igbo Language A Compulsory Course by GentleFrank(m): 8:26am On Dec 30, 2013
Good !
Re: Gregory University, Abia To Make Igbo Language A Compulsory Course by Chartey(m): 8:53am On Dec 30, 2013
Xtfield: I have always admired the Igbo people. Unlike my Yoruba people, Igbos are very good at passing on their language and traditions to their children wherever they live. Hardly can you see an Igbo child who will not understand and speak the language at age 6. Not like the Yorubas who view speaking Yoruba as a sign of backwardness. We sure have a lot to learn from the Igbos on this and other issues.
Everything you've said is just the other way round. In fact, some few years back Igbo musicians had to incorporate yoruba into their music to sell. People like Ruggedman, African China and Dj Zeez couldn't even identify with their Igbo heritage boldly.

To the topic, these people should have started with giving the school a very fine Igbo name. I have a feeling they think the school won't be attractive to even Igbo people when it has an Igbo name.

1 Like

Re: Gregory University, Abia To Make Igbo Language A Compulsory Course by Nobody: 10:08am On Dec 30, 2013
Chartey:
Everything you've said is just the other way round. In fact, some few years back Igbo musicians had to incorporate yoruba into their music to sell. People like Ruggedman, African China and Dj Zeez couldn't even identify with their Igbo heritage boldly.
igbo musicians still sing a lot in yoruba language neglecting theirs e.g don jazzy, dr sid, d prince, chidinma etc.

Yoruba is very easy to understand such dat if parents dont speak it to their children, the streets will in terms of music and movies. Igbos hardly have igbo movies.

Yoruba language has even mixed with english and pidgin english in nigeria. Words like jo (joor), jare, oya, lepa, o(i give am o!), soji, gbajue, nogere, komole, suwegbe etc are constantly used by all tribes.

1 Like

Re: Gregory University, Abia To Make Igbo Language A Compulsory Course by Memyselfu2009(m): 10:40am On Dec 30, 2013
Rubbish
Re: Gregory University, Abia To Make Igbo Language A Compulsory Course by omar22(m): 10:54am On Dec 30, 2013
At a university

I could understand at secondary school but Uni?

What a looney decision
Re: Gregory University, Abia To Make Igbo Language A Compulsory Course by Chartey(m): 11:48am On Dec 30, 2013
TribalEAST: igbo musicians still sing a lot in yoruba language neglecting theirs e.g don jazzy, dr sid, d prince, chidinma etc.

Yoruba is very easy to understand such dat if parents dont speak it to their children, the streets will in terms of music and movies. Igbos hardly have igbo movies.

Yoruba language has even mixed with english and pidgin english in nigeria. Words like jo (joor), jare, oya, lepa, o(i give am o!), soji, gbajue, nogere, komole, suwegbe etc are constantly used by all tribes.
True! But I'm more concerned about either the hypocrisy or clueless-ness of these people. They complain they want to promote the Igbo language through this university but the very name of this university is European. Can you imagine this in Yorubaland. If it's in Yorubaland, the school will have a proper Yoruba name and the school will gain popularity in no time. All in all, i think making learning of Igbo compulsory at pre-degree and 100 levels isn't a bad idea.

1 Like

Re: Gregory University, Abia To Make Igbo Language A Compulsory Course by ketoprofen(m): 5:39pm On Dec 30, 2013
Chartey:

To the topic, these people should have started with giving the school a very fine Igbo name. I have a feeling they think the school won't be attractive to even Igbo people when it has an Igbo name.

who is incorporating Yoruba to sell a music album?
Is there any language they don't sing urban Nigeria music with?
what of yorubas that sing in Igbo?
U stay in ur Yoruba villages and get to hear of Yoruba songs only, u ppl shd civilize for once and get exposed globally.

1 Like

Re: Gregory University, Abia To Make Igbo Language A Compulsory Course by ketoprofen(m): 5:42pm On Dec 30, 2013
Chartey:
True! But I'm more concerned about either the hypocrisy or clueless-ness of these people. They complain they want to promote the Igbo language through this university but the very name of this university is European. Can you imagine this in Yorubaland. If it's in Yorubaland, the school will have a proper Yoruba name and the school will gain popularity in no time. All in all, i think making learning of Igbo compulsory at pre-degree and 100 levels isn't a bad idea.

And who told u they don't study Igbo Lang in 100 levels in eastern unis?
I learnt that in my time, so what does that make u sound like?
Which univ in Yoruba is named after a Yoruba word?
Trash
Re: Gregory University, Abia To Make Igbo Language A Compulsory Course by aviazuva: 5:43pm On Dec 30, 2013
Nice one prof, but let us start by renaming the university in Gregory's Igbo name
Re: Gregory University, Abia To Make Igbo Language A Compulsory Course by Nobody: 5:45pm On Dec 30, 2013
ketoprofen:

Trash
Oduduwa University Ipetumedu. Private Uni
Re: Gregory University, Abia To Make Igbo Language A Compulsory Course by ketoprofen(m): 5:46pm On Dec 30, 2013
TribalEAST: igbo musicians still sing a lot in yoruba language neglecting theirs e.g don jazzy, dr sid, d prince, chidinma etc.

And who told u igbos hardly have Igbo movies?
Are u in the east?
All the cds i bought these last 3 months are of Igbo movies.
Do u think there is any Yoruba movie CD in the east?
Same way easterners are not aware of yoruba movies unless when they flip thru dstv.
Moral: talk only what u can defend.
Re: Gregory University, Abia To Make Igbo Language A Compulsory Course by NnamdiN: 7:03pm On Dec 30, 2013
Na wa o. This thread don turn tribal already
Re: Gregory University, Abia To Make Igbo Language A Compulsory Course by Chartey(m): 7:16pm On Dec 30, 2013
ketoprofen:

who is incorporating Yoruba to sell a music album?
Is there any language they don't sing urban Nigeria music with?
what of yorubas that sing in Igbo?
U stay in ur Yoruba villages and get to hear of Yoruba songs only, u ppl shd civilize for once and get exposed globally.
You know the truth.
Re: Gregory University, Abia To Make Igbo Language A Compulsory Course by Chartey(m): 7:17pm On Dec 30, 2013
ketoprofen:

Trash
Studying a Nigerian language is not COMPULSORY for all students in any university at any level right now. Stop lying.
Re: Gregory University, Abia To Make Igbo Language A Compulsory Course by Chartey(m): 7:19pm On Dec 30, 2013
ketoprofen:

And who told u igbos hardly have Igbo movies?
Are u in the east?
All the cds i bought these last 3 months are of Igbo movies.
Do u think there is any Yoruba movie CD in the east?
Same way easterners are not aware of yoruba movies unless when they flip thru dstv.
Moral: talk only what u can defend.
You honestly know the Igbo movie industry(if there's anything like that) isn't comparable to the Hausa and Yoruba movie industries in size at all.

1 Like

Re: Gregory University, Abia To Make Igbo Language A Compulsory Course by ketoprofen(m): 7:20pm On Dec 30, 2013
Chartey:
Studying a Nigerian language is not COMPULSORY for all students in any university at any level right now. Stop lying.
what and what make up generally studies
Re: Gregory University, Abia To Make Igbo Language A Compulsory Course by Lilimax(f): 7:32pm On Dec 30, 2013
SPEED5:
why do you fail to see the bigger picture. We are talking about language preservation and your more concerned about pleasing outsiders. This speaks of your self worth
self worth has nothing to do with this. A university that the communication medium is solely Igbo looks somehow to me. undecided There are other better ways of preserving ones language aside this angry

2 Likes

Re: Gregory University, Abia To Make Igbo Language A Compulsory Course by Nobody: 8:06pm On Dec 30, 2013
igbo language is a must pass course before you graduate from the anambra state university at the moment....onye igbo suo igbo
Re: Gregory University, Abia To Make Igbo Language A Compulsory Course by docsholz(m): 10:11pm On Dec 30, 2013
let's be honest how many non igbos do u find schooling in d eastern state unis it would have been a problem if it was done in a federal uni so abeg make we hear word
Re: Gregory University, Abia To Make Igbo Language A Compulsory Course by Chartey(m): 11:07pm On Dec 30, 2013
ketoprofen:
what and what make up generally studies
Please which university did you attend? Let me know first before i decide to proceed with this argument.
Re: Gregory University, Abia To Make Igbo Language A Compulsory Course by ketoprofen(m): 9:04am On Dec 31, 2013
Chartey:
Please which university did you attend? Let me know first before i decide to proceed with this argument.

unizik.
did my yr 1 on 2006.
and who is arguing with u?
don't have that time
Re: Gregory University, Abia To Make Igbo Language A Compulsory Course by Aliangel2008(f): 5:50pm On Dec 31, 2013
=)) =)) =)) laffº°˚ ˚°º≈wanº°˚ ˚°º≈tearº°˚ ˚°º≈myº°˚ ˚°º≈belleº°˚ ˚°º≈=)) =))...
This one is strong!
Re: Gregory University, Abia To Make Igbo Language A Compulsory Course by Aliangel2008(f): 5:53pm On Dec 31, 2013
Lilimax: self worth has nothing to do with this. A university that the communication medium is solely Igbo looks somehow to me. undecided There are other better ways of preserving ones language aside this angry
Pls, tell them jare. If it was an elective it is different.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Please How Do One Multiply 3x3 And 3x4 Matrices? / LAUTECH Proscribes Indiscriminate Parking Of Vehicles On Its Campuses The Secur / Universities That Give Admission Easily In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.