Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,484 members, 7,816,145 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:33 AM

'at 1pm' Or 'by 1pm'? Which Is Correct? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 'at 1pm' Or 'by 1pm'? Which Is Correct? (55835 Views)

Which Is Correct : A Honest Or An Honest Man? / English Gurus!!! How Was Your Day Or How Is Your Day? Which Statement Is Correct / My Name Is Or My Names Are" Which 1 Is Correct (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

'at 1pm' Or 'by 1pm'? Which Is Correct? by jaryeh(m): 7:21am On Dec 31, 2013
Hello,grammarians in the house. I need you to just help me out on this. Which is correct? Is it 'at 1pm' or 'by 1pm' e.g The meeting will hold at 1pm,or, The meeting will hold by 1pm.

I have tried checking different materials both online and offline and didn't get any useful point on it. Radio presenters use it interchangeably,Oxford dictionary didn't state any significant difference in the two.

Is it that the two are both correct and can be used interchangeably?

Though I use 'at' most times for past events and 'by' for future events e.g The match started at 2am, The man will be here by 2pm.

I just want to clear the doubt. When are we to use 'by' and when are we to use 'at'?

Your contribution(s) please! Thanks.
Re: 'at 1pm' Or 'by 1pm'? Which Is Correct? by SniperOne: 7:36am On Dec 31, 2013
jaryeh: Hello,grammarians in the house. I need you to just help me out on this. Which is correct? Is it 'at 1pm' or 'by 1pm' e.g The meeting will hold at 1pm,or, The meeting will hold by 1pm.

I have tried checking different materials both online and offline and didn't get any useful point on it. Radio presenters use it interchangeably,Oxford dictionary didn't state any significant difference in the two.

Is it that the two are both correct and can be used interchangeably?

Though I use 'at' most times for past events and 'by' for future events e.g The match started at 2am, The man will be here by 2pm.

I just want to clear the doubt. When are we to use 'by' and when are we to use 'at'?

Your contribution(s) please! Thanks.

To be precise with time, go with the 'at' because the 'by' doesn't sound precise, but rather talks about the moment close.
Re: 'at 1pm' Or 'by 1pm'? Which Is Correct? by WanaG(m): 7:38am On Dec 31, 2013
'At' is used to express precision, while by means "at the latest".
Re: 'at 1pm' Or 'by 1pm'? Which Is Correct? by funshint(m): 7:47am On Dec 31, 2013
Both are grammatically correct but "at" confers more certainty of occurrence than "by"...
Re: 'at 1pm' Or 'by 1pm'? Which Is Correct? by Dhelake: 8:14am On Dec 31, 2013
Personal Opinion

Me thinks 'at' is used for past events (e.g, as 'at' 10pm last night the show had ended) while 'by' to me is used for future occurrence (eg. By 10pm tonight i would be back at home)
Re: 'at 1pm' Or 'by 1pm'? Which Is Correct? by alotofgrace(m): 8:21am On Dec 31, 2013
dictionary will do a good job
Re: 'at 1pm' Or 'by 1pm'? Which Is Correct? by alotofgrace(m): 8:23am On Dec 31, 2013
dictionary would do a good job
Re: 'at 1pm' Or 'by 1pm'? Which Is Correct? by jaryeh(m): 8:28am On Dec 31, 2013
alotofgrace: dictionary would do a good job

I have checked the dictionary but couldn't get a good grasp of it! I said that earlier! You can help check and explain what you get here sha. Thanks.
Re: 'at 1pm' Or 'by 1pm'? Which Is Correct? by jaryeh(m): 8:31am On Dec 31, 2013
Sniper_One:

To be precise with time, go with the 'at' because the 'by' doesn't sound precise, but rather talks about the moment close.

This makes sense. Thanks. But I still need more.
Re: 'at 1pm' Or 'by 1pm'? Which Is Correct? by SniperOne: 9:36am On Dec 31, 2013
jaryeh:

This makes sense. Thanks. But I still need more.

'at' - to be specific at a destined range or rate, 'by'- to be around a specific rate or range.(something like approximation)

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Anambra State Public Schools Best In Nigeria? (Photos) / Nigeria’s Hairiest Woman, Queen Okafor Matriculates At NOUN (Photos) / Top Ten Abhorent Rules In Covenant University That Must Be Changed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.