Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,126 members, 7,835,776 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:51 PM

Why Do People Light Candles In Front Of Their House On New Year Day? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do People Light Candles In Front Of Their House On New Year Day? (890 Views)

Men Sleeping With Their House Maids...who's To Blame? / My Family Friend Just Kicked Out His Wife From Their House / Why Do We Wear New Clothes On New Year's Day? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do People Light Candles In Front Of Their House On New Year Day? by Olarewajub: 1:24am On Jan 01, 2014
What's the origin? Just curious to know.
Thanks in anticipation for your favourable response and Happy New Year to you'll.!
Re: Why Do People Light Candles In Front Of Their House On New Year Day? by suzzyy(f): 1:42am On Jan 01, 2014
Dunno,but I do it every year. To me it over rules every dark portion in my household and brings hope
Re: Why Do People Light Candles In Front Of Their House On New Year Day? by b3llo(m): 2:06am On Jan 01, 2014
It should have originated among the Europeans
Re: Why Do People Light Candles In Front Of Their House On New Year Day? by greatgod2012(f): 2:11am On Jan 01, 2014
I have never done that o!

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Light Candles In Front Of Their House On New Year Day? by Olarewajub: 2:30am On Jan 01, 2014
suzzyy: Dunno,but I do it every year. To me it over rules every dark portion in my household and brings hope
You should know o
Re: Why Do People Light Candles In Front Of Their House On New Year Day? by Olarewajub: 2:30am On Jan 01, 2014
greatgod2012: I have never done that o!
Really?
Re: Why Do People Light Candles In Front Of Their House On New Year Day? by True2myself24(f): 6:56am On Jan 01, 2014
I dunno, because they can
Re: Why Do People Light Candles In Front Of Their House On New Year Day? by uboma(m): 7:44am On Jan 01, 2014
Olarewajub: What's the origin? Just curious to know.
Thanks in anticipation for your favourable response and Happy New Year to you'll.!

whatever the origin, its a superstitious belief.

suzzyy: Dunno,but I do it every year. To me it over rules every dark portion in my household and brings hope

You should find out the origin of what you practice every year. And your belief is very wrong and shallow.
Re: Why Do People Light Candles In Front Of Their House On New Year Day? by Olarewajub: 10:00am On Jan 01, 2014
True2myself24: I dunno, because they can
Can??
Re: Why Do People Light Candles In Front Of Their House On New Year Day? by Nobody: 10:19am On Jan 01, 2014
I still saw that today on my way from the galleria while passing by a church.wonder what ir means anyway
Re: Why Do People Light Candles In Front Of Their House On New Year Day? by Nobody: 10:47am On Jan 01, 2014
saw it with some guys yesterday was like what's the meaning of this? lol
Re: Why Do People Light Candles In Front Of Their House On New Year Day? by Nobody: 11:01am On Jan 01, 2014
in NIGERIA?
Re: Why Do People Light Candles In Front Of Their House On New Year Day? by aadetoyin(f): 3:29pm On Jan 01, 2014
How come I have never seen it before? Or am I residing in a wrong area?

Strange!
Re: Why Do People Light Candles In Front Of Their House On New Year Day? by Olarewajub: 6:49pm On Jan 01, 2014
aadetoyin: How come I have never seen it before? Or am I residing in a wrong area?

Strange!
You mean it!
Re: Why Do People Light Candles In Front Of Their House On New Year Day? by cynhamscakes(f): 7:21pm On Jan 01, 2014
Hearing about this for the first time.
Anyway i guess it symbolizes burning light in their lives, as in as the candle burneth and illuminates the environment, so will their lives be illuminates

or something like that.

I like the idea and will do it next year but first i will find out about the significance first.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Light Candles In Front Of Their House On New Year Day? by cynbanora(f): 9:00am On Jan 02, 2014
We do that every year in my family, my dad says its a normal ceremony he learnt those days in the seminary and it symbolises 'LIGHT'
, 'ILLUMINAtION'. You area Leaving the gloomy and dark moments of the previous year and welcoming light into your family for the new year.
Its been a very good tradition in my family, we always looked forward to the new year prayer and house lightening at home.
Will definitely continue that in my own home.
Re: Why Do People Light Candles In Front Of Their House On New Year Day? by Olarewajub: 10:16am On Jan 02, 2014
cynbanora: We do that every year in my family, my dad says its a normal ceremony he learnt those days in the seminary and it symbolises 'LIGHT'
, 'ILLUMINAtION'. You area Leaving the gloomy and dark moments of the previous year and welcoming light into your family for the new year.
Its been a very good tradition in my family, we always looked forward to the new year prayer and house lightening at home.
Will definitely continue that in my own home.
Thanks for your reply. I'm now oriented. Hmmm,.,. Light illumination.

(1) (Reply)

Are People Back Home Responsible For High Divorce Rate Among Nigerians Abroad? / Babe Pushs Me To Do The Undoable With Bank Alert / Thread For North-easterners.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.