Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,204 members, 7,818,684 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:45 PM

Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons - Career (27) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons (181173 Views)

2015 In Review: My Lessons For The Year. Share Yours. / Towards Achieving Financial Independence! / Your Dream Career? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (40) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Doyin400l(m): 5:45am On Jul 03, 2015
Let me chip in some ,As a statistician u're suppose to know that the world revolves around data's I.e fact and figures.in these case u will be needed mostly in any firm do to the diverse nature of statistics ranging from medical,government,financial,petroleum staistics e.t.c But before you can earn those post you will need at least M.Sc in statistics especially if is from international organizations like IMF,who ,UNICEF. the main thing here is go for ur MSC asap...with ur first class it will be more easier for you.you can also do a professional course in Quality assurance,operation research,data analyst.

1 Like

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by neahyo(m): 8:38pm On Jul 03, 2015
Doyin400l:
Let me chip in some ,As a statistician u're suppose to know that the world revolves around data's I.e fact and figures.in these case u will be needed mostly in any firm do to the diverse nature of statistics ranging from medical,government,financial,petroleum staistics e.t.c But before you can earn those post you will need at least M.Sc in statistics especially if is from international organizations like IMF,who ,UNICEF. the main thing here is go for ur MSC asap...with ur first class it will be more easier for you.you can also do a professional course in Quality assurance,operation research,data analyst.
Many thanks bro
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by meetemmioks: 8:45pm On Jul 03, 2015
[url=/cashmb]earn atleast 10$ every day[/url]
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Doyin400l(m): 7:01pm On Jul 05, 2015
meetemmioks:
[url=/cashmb]earn atleast 10$ every day[/url]
Receive sense ijn.

2 Likes

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 10:25pm On Jul 05, 2015
Kossyne:

Mr Xfire,
1. When applying for graduate trainee or entry level positions, a I expected to include work experience?
If you have internship, volunteer or previous work experience, you can include it on your CV of course. It doesn't matter if it is for a trainee position or not. You should include it. However, it is not necessarily an expectation for entry level roles.

2. Is it ideal to just list skills or to give a brief description of the display/use of the skill under each mentioned skill?
It is better to stick with a few numbers of skills, and provide scenarios on how you have displayed, or are displaying the skills outlined.

3. How do I improve my communication skill?
Read how I improve my communication skill below:
https://www.nairaland.com/1576265/achieving-dream-career-story-lessons/3#25336469

4. What is the difference between a resume and CV?
Both terms are usually used interchangeably in Nigeria though they have slight differences. If you will be applying in Nigeria and in extension Africa, you shouldn't bother much about difference. More so if you are a fresh graduate with relatively lean career and academic profile.
A CV is more detailed and lengthier than a resume. It is expected to include details of your background and your life accomplishments. It should normally include your educational and work background, publications, awards, accomplishments, presentations, professional memberships, research works, etc. It typically shouldn't have a page limit depending on your years of experience and accomplishment. A resume is a shorter version which is a synopsis of your skills, experience and education. Not more than one or 2 pages maximum irrespective of your years of experience.
If you ask me, a fresh grad shouldn't bother much about such lexicology, especially for a grad with less than 2 years experience. This is because the CV/resume is not expected to go beyond 2 pages (or a maximum of 3 depending on peculiarity and depth of experience).

5. Can one use the body of the mail for cover letter or send it as an attachment along with the resume while sending your CV via email?
You mean body of the email? You can do both. However, it is preferable to send it as an attachment alongside your resume on the same document. It makes it look neat and presentable. It is worthy of note that the different companies have different application procedures/processes for standard recruitment programmes. This invariably means you must first and foremost follow instructions/ application portal when responding to an open vacancy online.

6. I want to pursue a career in financial services industry but I have no experience. Should I remove work experience completely from my CV?
No experience in the field or no work experience at all? It all depends. If you have no work experience at all, then there is nothing to add. It's that simple. However, you might have taken some steps (like certifications or professional courses) geared towards financial services. You would do well to include those. If you have some work experience, it all depends on the type of experience you have had and how long you have been on the job. Are you referring to a fresh graduate or a career switch? More clarifications will help provide a better answer. But I must say - generally speaking, I wouldn't subscribe to removing any non-related work experience except you have a reason for doing so. In most cases, it all depends on how you package your work experience.

7. What's the ideal format for a CV/resume? I have seen a million and one formats.

Read this:
https://www.nairaland.com/1576265/achieving-dream-career-story-lessons/14#27789330
https://www.nairaland.com/1576265/achieving-dream-career-story-lessons/14#27789483
https://www.nairaland.com/1576265/achieving-dream-career-story-lessons/14#27789575
https://www.nairaland.com/1576265/achieving-dream-career-story-lessons/14#27789691
https://www.nairaland.com/1576265/achieving-dream-career-story-lessons/3#25328293
https://www.nairaland.com/1576265/achieving-dream-career-story-lessons/3#25331622

8. As a fresh graduate with any experience, should I use career objective or career profile?
Answered above. Read this:
https://www.nairaland.com/1576265/achieving-dream-career-story-lessons/3#25328293

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Ehimenboy(m): 7:13am On Jul 06, 2015
Hello everyone.
I'm a second year undergrad student in the Sciences in one of Nigeria's "top" schools. I have an inkling of what 'doing' (by 'doing', I mean 'research in') science is like in some of Nigeria's best institutions: I don't want to do (even) my masters in the country. (I'm looking at anglophone European countries and North America.) I'm from a typical average Nigerian family and to think that my financiers 'd foot schooling overseas is itself a miracle. By the way, I see myself getting through a 1. upon graduation: degree class is not an 'issue.' What seems to be the only hope is getting a scholarship (shortly before/after school by plan/hope). No visa, passport and the likes at the moment.

How do I go about it?

P. S.: I'll need answers as explicit as possible please. (xfire, darellrivers, taiwolusol et al, I've long been waiting for this time.) Thanks in advance.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by AweEngineer(m): 12:05am On Jul 07, 2015
Ehimenboy:
Hello everyone.
I'm a second year undergrad student in the Sciences in one of Nigeria's "top" schools. I have an inkling of what 'doing' (by 'doing', I mean 'research in') science is like in some of Nigeria's best institutions: I don't want to do (even) my masters in the country. (I'm looking at anglophone European countries and North America.) I'm from a typical average Nigerian family and to think that my financiers 'd foot schooling overseas is itself a miracle. By the way, I see myself getting through a 1. upon graduation: degree class is not an 'issue.' What seems to be the only hope is getting a scholarship (shortly before/after school by plan/hope). No visa, passport and the likes at the moment.

How do I go about it?

P. S.: I'll need answers as explicit as possible please. (xfire, darellrivers, taiwolusol et al, I've long been waiting for this time.) Thanks in advance.
like mind
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 7:54am On Jul 07, 2015
Let me let my Boss xfire and "Boss Lady" darellrivers do justice to this smiley

cc Ehimenboy

1 Like

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Sashafm(f): 9:53pm On Jul 07, 2015
I must say, I am really lucky to have been opportuned to stumble on this thread. Thank you so much Xfire and darellrivers etc for the wonderful inspiration.
I am 22years old, a graduate of Geography with 2.1,from one of the best federal universities in southwest. I actually had passion for Geography that was why I went to study it in the University. Unfortunately for me, I never for once though about what career opportunities the course would open me up too. I guess it has just began to done on me that Although i went for the course because I love it, there might not be more to it. I saddens me now when people advice me to go into teaching after my service year, when they find out I studied Geography. I would really appreciate it if someone can mentor me in career part to tow as a Geographer asides teaching and lecturing.
cc: xfire, darellrivers, bigdreams.
thank you for your anticipated response.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by gargoyle: 11:04pm On Jul 07, 2015
The Nigerian Youth sha

I have read a lot of posts on this and other career threads on Nairaland and certain career blogs and i must say that i am a bit disappointed by what I've noticed to be a bad trend so far.

The majority of the Nigerian job seekers are too focused on gaining employments in multinational oil companies irrespective of their courses of study.

I don't think i am wrong to point out that many of them do this solely for the financial rewards. They have not taken time out to reflect deeply on their passions, dreams, goals and aspirations, talents and most importantly how they can use these talents to serve mankind.

I understand that the harsh economic situations are partly to blame for this backward mentality but this shouldn't stop us from doing what is right.

I am not trying to force any ideology on anyone but just stating facts.

If Mark Zuckerberg, Bill Gates et al thought like most of us are doing now, they wouldn't have achieved fame and fortune.

Let us focus on our passions and our talents. It always pays in the end.

History is replete with great men who made their passions their professions and achieved unprecedented success.

Thank you all.

3 Likes

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 9:15pm On Jul 09, 2015
neahyo:
Uncle xfire, please i'm patiently waiting for your response..thanks!
I will be back shortly.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by simiolu1(m): 12:48pm On Jul 10, 2015
xfire:

I will be back shortly.
Good day Sir, kudos to you for the work you're doing.
I'm a grad of Physics, currently serving and would be passing out in Oct. I need d following favours An indepth review of my Cv and Cover letter. Thanks
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by neahyo(m): 5:48pm On Jul 10, 2015
xfire:
I will be back shortly.
Okay sir
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by chloride6: 1:15pm On Jul 11, 2015
san4real05:
Please who have the link to all dragnet folders and all other aptitude test? The folder is present here before Nairaland was hacked. My system got crashed as I urgently need all those folders for test preparation. Thanks and God bless in advance.

Sorry to derail but I had to contact you somehow.

I saw that you once posted about not getting your shell payment when others have. How did you go about it ? I would really appreciate a quick response.

Thanks
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Ehimenboy(m): 8:45pm On Jul 11, 2015
AweEngineer:
like mind
I'm sorry 'bout the late response. I couldn't access the mail you sent.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by AweEngineer(m): 8:25am On Jul 12, 2015
Ehimenboy:

I'm sorry 'bout the late response. I couldn't access the mail you sent.

sent again.

Need to discus some issue with you.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by McWhillion(m): 9:44pm On Jul 12, 2015
McWhillion:
Never knew this thread is still alive. I compiled a neat pdf of Xfire's whole write up, the write up excludes some of the personal advice he gave some guys.
Its 53 pages and I hope you find it useful. The file is just about 800kb.

https:///ppSL5eNd
wink wink wink You can't afford to miss this if you are new on this thread....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by McWhillion(m): 9:44pm On Jul 12, 2015
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by McWhillion(m): 9:45pm On Jul 12, 2015
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Ehimenboy(m): 9:54pm On Jul 12, 2015
AweEngineer:

sent again.

Need to discus some issue with you.
Oh... I lost my mail a/c password. Facebook seems to be the only other option then. If you could tell your facebook ID....
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by mickey45: 10:29pm On Jul 12, 2015
Feex:

what's your dscipline? I am currently taking one in safety, risk and reliability engineering (distance learning) in the prestigious Herriot Watt University.

Can you give any run-down of the total cost for such online courses?
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by mickey45: 11:28pm On Jul 12, 2015
xfire:

There are several certifications on safety. In your case, you many consider HSE training (level 2 & 3) or the more advanced NEBOSH. Quality control depends on the industry. Every manufacturing / FMCG industry has a unique QA/QC system or protocol. For instance, the QC system in a brewery will be different from what is obtainable in other food industries (soft drinks, beverages, snacks, etc). QA/QC systems also differ in steel companies, soap, chemical, refineries, etc. Sometimes, you need experience in that particular industry before you can be given a QC role e.g. you will most likely be a production or brewing supervisor before you can be considered a QC analyst in a brewery. This is because some companies require that you have floor (production) experience before you can actually conduct a QA/QC on the process/product. So certification is not highly considered but can still be useful. However, if you insist on certification, you need to be industry specific in your request. Your best bet is to enroll for a HACCP training which is generally applicable in the food industry. With a degree in Chemistry, you can be considered for a QC role in many companies even without a certification.

On your current dilemma (MSc or certification), I would say you should go for a Masters while simultaneously acquiring necessary certifications. However, you may consider acquiring job experience if you get a good job after service.

Is that possible? M.sc + Certifications (especially abroad)?
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by simiolu1(m): 11:46pm On Jul 13, 2015
I'm a serving Corper. Studied Physics in the University and did a project on ZnO Thin Films.

I and my partner worked our butt off for the project and spent a considerable amount of money, time and other resources to get it done. One of the motivating factors for me was that I really needed an A in it to make a Second Class Upper.

When the project was almost finished, my Supervisor informed me he would love to Publish a paper on it. I guess he was impressed with the quality of work we did (even though we made some errors along the way).

It's been over a year now since I finished school and this afternoon, I read an e-mail from my Supervisor (which was sent 7 days ago) informing me that he has reviewed the paper (which I wrote by the way), made necessary corrections and chances are it's going to be published soon. I was elated until I read the next paragraph/sentence which requested for 10,000naira as payment for my name to be part of the authors. And that I have 3weeks to make the payment (one week has already elapsed).

I was shocked to say the least and was honestly furious at first. However, I just went online and discovered that people pay to publish their research in journals.

Now this is my dilemma. I'm currently fiddling with the idea of a Master's degree and I know that having my name as an author on that paper if published would go a long way. I also know that it'll look good on my CV and create a good impression to potential employers.

But I'm cash strapped and my meager allawee isn't helping matters.

What do I do?
Cc Jarus, Xfire, Darrelrivers

1 Like

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by sashap: 5:21pm On Jul 14, 2015
Sashafm:
I must say, I am really lucky to have been opportuned to stumble on this thread. Thank you so much Xfire and darellrivers etc for the wonderful inspiration.
I am 22years old, a graduate of Geography with 2.1,from one of the best federal universities in southwest. I actually had passion for Geography that was why I went to study it in the University. Unfortunately for me, I never for once though about what career opportunities the course would open me up too. I guess it has just began to done on me that Although i went for the course because I love it, there might not be more to it. I saddens me now when people advice me to go into teaching after my service year, when they find out I studied Geography. I would really appreciate it if someone can mentor me in career part to tow as a Geographer asides teaching and lecturing.
cc: xfire, darellrivers, bigdreams.
thank you for your anticipated response.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by kayceerilyn(f): 12:44pm On Jul 21, 2015
McWhillion:

You can send me a pm, I ll send it through your email or you can drop the email here.
please,do me the favour of sending it to my Email please. The email is kayceerilyn@gmail.com Many thanks in advance
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by McWhillion(m): 1:42pm On Jul 21, 2015
SENT
kayceerilyn:
please,do me the favour of sending it to my Email please. The email is kayceerilyn@gmail.com Many thanks in advance
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by kayceerilyn(f): 3:59pm On Jul 21, 2015
McWhillion:
SENT
thanks a whole lot Sir
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Ehimenboy(m): 10:39am On Jul 24, 2015
darellrivers:
Hello Everyone, I shared this story before the nairaland data saga (hmmm i like the sound of that-- smiley) and I decided to share it again.

[b]One day, a teacher asked his student “What are you going to do with your life?” The student was stunned for he loved this teacher and admired him. He had never felt such pressure from his teacher before. Stammering, this man replied, “I don’t know. Finish my studies and get a good job, I suppose"
“Get a good job,” his teacher repeated. “This is a phrase I have often heard. It is the single worst choice of your generation. Happiness is unlikely to come to the mind whose goal is to ‘get a good job.’” “Son,” this wise teacher asked, “Would you be interested in some specific advice from an old man who wished he had your youth and energy?”
“Of course, Doctor.”
“Look around you. Take a fresh, hard, and uncompromising look at life as you see it. Ask this question, ‘What needs to be done?’ When you have an answer, and it may take some time to get it, then go and do what needs to be done. Do it better than anyone else does it and the world will beat down your door for your help. Then you will not need ‘a good job’; and you will have more than a career.
You will have a mission.”[/b]

Many times, we focus on "getting a good job" and then when we get that job, we get disillusioned and want something "better".. Take the advise of this wise teacher (who, by the way, was the famous inventor, Buckminster Fuller) and really, "jobs" will come looking for you! But take heed... we need to all find the balance between AMBITION and CONTENTMENT

Wish everyone the very best...

1 Like

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Obiwannn: 7:37pm On Jul 25, 2015
olatricia:
Thank you, I'll keep that close to my heart. More Advice please. So I can have a pool of advice to pick from.

You should also explore countries that offer free tuition- Germany,Finland etc
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 4:37pm On Jul 30, 2015
mickey45:

Is that possible? M.sc + Certifications (especially abroad)?
Of course. It is possible.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 4:39pm On Jul 30, 2015
simiolu1:

Good day Sir, kudos to you for the work you're doing.
I'm a grad of Physics, currently serving and would be passing out in Oct. I need d following favours An indepth review of my Cv and Cover letter. Thanks
send it to xfire2014@gmail.com. Please quote your nairaland username so that I can identify you.

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (40) (Reply)

Interview Question: 'What Time Are You Available To Start Work?' / How To Become A Nse, Coren Registered Engineer In Nigeria / CFA Candidates In The House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.