Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,004 members, 7,810,791 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:32 PM

2015 In Review: My Lessons For The Year. Share Yours. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 2015 In Review: My Lessons For The Year. Share Yours. (10994 Views)

Please Help Review My CV / Top Career Lessons From Cristiano Ronaldo's Career So Far / 2015 In Retrospect: How I Balanced Blogging And My Full Time Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

2015 In Review: My Lessons For The Year. Share Yours. by Nobody: 3:29pm On Dec 09, 2015
I know some of us will protest that the year isn't actually over. Yes. That's correct. We still have close to 3 weeks to the end of 2015. But the truth is, a lot of us are already mentally in 2016; we simply can't wait to put our 2015 lessons into action into 2016. Time waits for nobody.

In the course of the year, I've made a lot of mistakes and have equally learned many invaluable lessons. I'm very happy to share with us some of those incredible lessons. Let me bare the bitter lessons alone. LOL!

Finance. I'll start here because money is one of the most important things we can have. If you're still worried about money like I do, then you're still not financially independent. This year it became very obvious to money that your true state of wealth isn't dependent on HOW MUCH you earn, but how much keep and invest to create passive income for you. It doesn't matter how much you earn, as long as you keep living above your income, you'll be broke. This lesson appears very normal but it's unfortunate MOST people still fall a prey to this financial error. Another lesson is that, as long as you have only ONE source of income, you'll never be truly wealthy. This year was the year of greater financial responsibility for ME. I became more aware aware of the rules of money. If you don't seek other sources of income alongside your current one, when the tides are out, you'll finally see that you were simply swimming unclad beneath the water. If you don't take charge of your finance, you'll remain broke. The festive period is here. Most of us will be broke by second week of January, 2016, irrespective of how much we have now or at the end of this month. I took a greater responsibility for my money and I'm better off. Any area of your life will suffer if YOU'RE NOT in charge.

Friends. I'm finally aware that I don't need too many friends. Most of those who mistake for our friends aren't really friends. It will take some an incident to find out their true colours. We must be careful to separate between our friends and our colleagues. Sometimes all that connect you with some persons is that you carry the same company's ID card. Pick your friends carefully.

Success. You will never amount to anything if you keep blaming the economy, the government or others for your present situation. This year I became more responsible for my life. It matters very little what others do or say, I'm finally the one responsible for my success or failure. I understood this year that for anyone to succeed, they must be willing to change. I know change is painful but it's the ONLY way we can get to where we want to get to. To succeed, you must of necessity surround yourself with people who have a dogged desire an determination to succeed. You must after nice with people of unparalleled and white hot desire for success. If you mingle with the mediocre, you'll be a mediocre. If you mingle with the visionary, you'll become visionary. God has created mankind. Whatever mankind chooses to do depends on him.

Risk. I was finally able to take some risks this year. It was not easy placing my feet on some unfamiliar territory. It's either you take risks OR you're at risk. I finally was able to try another source of income beside my steady income from my job. It wasn't easy. Kudos to all business men and women. Kudos to all the risk takers in house. This year it became clearer that if you want to become great, you must take risks. If you keep seeking security,opportunities will pass you by. All billionaires are risk takers. I'll take more in 2016. Learn to take bigger risks.

Entrepreneurship. I realised a lot of us can become entrepreneurs if we're willing to learn the skills and align whatever we want to do with our core passion. If you hate the Rat Race like I do, you'll surely find a way out- including becoming an entrepreneur. It's takes only passion, skills and an open mind to become one.

God doesn't build nations. He didn't build Dubai. He didn't build the US we all crave to visit. He didn't build the UK. He didn't build Japan. And He won't build our nation OR any other nations. He doesn't do for man what man can do for himself. Man is imbued with ALL it takes to build himself. As far as we keep expecting God to build our lives or systems or nations, we will wait forever. Man was designed or create and find solutions to his own challenges.

Change. You cannot change any situation that you tolerate. As far as you keep excusing your errors and defects, there won't be any progress in your life. For you to experience any development, you'll first change your habits and attitude. I was able to drop some inimical habits and I'm happier today. You are in charge of your life. You have all it takes to progress and improve all areas of your life. If you're unwilling to change, then you'll be stuck in the same position for life. Things don't change on their own accord; you must drive them.

I'll love to share some more BUT these should do. Please, kindly share some of yours with us. Learning never ends as far as we are alive.

Lalasticalala, Mynd44, lasis69, let's do the needful.

74 Likes 26 Shares

Re: 2015 In Review: My Lessons For The Year. Share Yours. by sauceEEP(m): 8:37pm On Dec 09, 2015
Nice...

2 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 2015 In Review: My Lessons For The Year. Share Yours. by xtreme07(m): 5:09am On Dec 10, 2015
well said; one can't be doing same thing year in, year out and expect a different result.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2015 In Review: My Lessons For The Year. Share Yours. by Nobody: 6:05am On Dec 10, 2015
sauceEEP:
Nice...

Thank you. Thanks for reading.
Re: 2015 In Review: My Lessons For The Year. Share Yours. by Nobody: 6:05am On Dec 10, 2015
xtreme07:
well said; one can't be doing same thing year in, year out and expect a different result.

Isn't that insanity? Till we change our inputs, our outputs will remain the same. It's that simple.

1 Like

Re: 2015 In Review: My Lessons For The Year. Share Yours. by Nobody: 8:58am On Dec 10, 2015
My boss, mentorandfriend, do you mind sharing at lest ONE with us? Good morning.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2015 In Review: My Lessons For The Year. Share Yours. by mentorandfriend(m): 8:58am On Dec 10, 2015
God doesn't build nations. He didn't build Dubai. He didn't build the US we all crave to visit. He didn't build the UK. He didn't build Japan. And He won't build our nation OR any other nations. He doesn't do for man what man can do for himself. Man is imbued with ALL it takes to build himself.
That was epic. As soon as I read to that point, I dropped all else I was doing.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2015 In Review: My Lessons For The Year. Share Yours. by mentorandfriend(m): 9:26am On Dec 10, 2015
I learnt a lot, and the summary is in personal development and building networks/relationships.

1) Law Of Making A Contribution:

You can never find a higher sense of worth until the things you do start making a difference in people's lives.

Going to bed is sweeter when you are aware that someone somewhere is living the good life because of your contribution.

Life becomes very interesting when you know you're meeting a need and you're the reason behind a person's smile.

As a personal mantra in 2015, this was it: MY LIFE HAS TO HELP OTHER PEOPLE SHAPE UP THEIR LIVES AS WELL.

2) Law Of Private Victories:

Private victories precede public victories. I was very committed to personal development like never before. I make sure it works for me first. I used myself as a guinea pig of many experiments, and guess what, I was better for it.

3) Battered, Broken, But Still Standing.

Law Of Perseverance. I went through a lot of challenges this year, but I was upheld; and I wouldn't be stopped.

It is a lesson I would love to share on a good day to our youths. Instead of sitting down and whining about the government in every discussion, we must take it upon ourselves to create the future we deserve. I embraced HARD WORK, SMART WORK, and NETWORK. I did freelancing in speaking and writing. As a doctor, I covered for a lot of private hospitals in town, sometimes going for a week without sleeping on my bed at home. I ordered for and sold wristwatches from Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, etc. I delivered well sown shirts from Aba to my colleagues at gains of N1500 or more per shirt. I'm delving into poultry business next year.

Everyone should smell the coffee and wake up.

36 Likes 8 Shares

Re: 2015 In Review: My Lessons For The Year. Share Yours. by ambassadorgozie(m): 9:51am On Dec 10, 2015
Came here to read, learn nd get experience. So help me God

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2015 In Review: My Lessons For The Year. Share Yours. by Nobody: 10:01am On Dec 10, 2015
mentorandfriend:
I learnt a lot, and the summary is in personal development and building networks/relationships.

1) Law Of Making A Contribution:

You can never find a higher sense of worth until the things you do start making a difference in people's lives.

Going to bed is sweeter when you are aware that someone somewhere is living the good life because of your contribution.

Life becomes very interesting when you know you're meeting a need and you're the reason behind a person's smile.

As a personal mantra in 2015, this was it: MY LIFE HAS TO HELP OTHER PEOPLE SHAPE UP THEIR LIVES AS WELL.

2) Law Of Private Victories:

Private victories precede public victories. I was very committed to personal development like never before. I make sure it works for me first. I used myself as a guinea pig of many experiments, and guess what, I was better for it.

3) Battered, Broken, But Still Standing.

Law Of Perseverance. I went through a lot of challenges this year, but I was upheld; and I wouldn't be stopped.

It is a lesson I would love to share on a good day to our youths. Instead of sitting down and whining about the government in every discussion, we must take it upon ourselves to create the future we deserve. I embraced HARD WORK, SMART WORK, and NETWORK. I did freelancing in speaking and writing, as a doctor, I covered for a lot of private hospitals in town, sometimes going for a week without sleeping on my bed at home, I ordered for and sold wristwatches from Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, etc. I delivered well sown shirts from Aba to my colleagues at gains of N1500 or more per shirt. I'm delving into poultry business next year.

Everyone should smell the coffee and wake up.

Hmm.....Thanks for sharing these vital, personal lessons with us. I also took personal development to a higher level this year, and hope to do even more next year in that aspect.

I see your business acumen and wisdom. I'm sure a few more pesos will read your lessons and become somewhat encouraged in their pursuit of personal excellence.

Yes. There's absolutely nothing sweeter than retiring to bed at night knowing fully well you're partly or fully responsible for the happiness of another. Greater love has no man than this; that a man laid down his life for his friends. Bible.

Thanks for the final wake up call to our people. There's no more waiting on the government for everything. It's time to work hard and carve a space for ourselves in this passing life.

Many thanks, my boss.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2015 In Review: My Lessons For The Year. Share Yours. by Nobody: 8:56am On Dec 11, 2015
Mynd44, lasisi69, let's see what lessons others have to share.
Re: 2015 In Review: My Lessons For The Year. Share Yours. by hahn(m): 7:50am On Dec 16, 2015
dearpreye:

Finance. I'll start here because money is one of the most important things we can have. If you're still worried about money like I do, then you're still not financially independent. This year it became very obvious to money that your true state of wealth isn't dependent on HOW MUCH you earn, but how much keep and invest to create passive income for you. It doesn't matter how much you earn, as long as you keep living above your income, you'll be broke. This lesson appears very normal but it's unfortunate MOST people still fall a prey to this financial error. Another lesson is that, as long as you have only ONE source of income, you'll never be truly wealthy. This year was the year of greater financial responsibility for ME. I became more aware aware of the rules of money. If you don't seek other sources of income alongside your current one, when the tides are out, you'll finally see that you were simply swimming unclad beneath the water. If you don't take charge of your finance, you'll remain broke. The festive period is here. Most of us will be broke by second week of January, 2016, irrespective of how much we have now or at the end of this month. I took a greater responsibility for my money and I'm better off. Any area of your life will suffer if YOU'RE NOT in charge.

Having one source of income is the worst mistake I made this year and I promise NEVER to repeat it

Friends. I'm finally aware that I don't need too many friends. Most of those who mistake for our friends aren't really friends. It will take some an incident to find out their true colours. We must be careful to separate between our friends and our colleagues. Sometimes all that connect you with some persons is that you carry the same company's ID card. Pick your friends carefully.

Old lesson: You can't choose your family but you can choose your friends so choose wisely. I don't have friends, only associates

Success. You will never amount to anything if you keep blaming the economy, the government or others for your present situation. This year I became more responsible for my life. It matters very little what others do or say, I'm finally the one responsible for my success or failure. I understood this year that for anyone to succeed, they must be willing to change. I know change is painful but it's the ONLY way we can get to where we want to get to. To succeed, you must of necessity surround yourself with people who have a dogged desire an determination to succeed. You must after nice with people of unparalleled and white hot desire for success. If you mingle with the mediocre, you'll be a mediocre. If you mingle with the visionary, you'll become visionary. God has created mankind. Whatever mankind chooses to do depends on him.

I blame nothing except myself for whatever happens in my life.

Risk. I was finally able to take some risks this year. It was not easy placing my feet on some unfamiliar territory. It's either you take risks OR you're at risk. I finally was able to try another source of income beside my steady income from my job. It wasn't easy. Kudos to all business men and women. Kudos to all the risk takers in house. This year it became clearer that if you want to become great, you must take risks. If you keep seeking security,opportunities will pass you by. All billionaires are risk takers. I'll take more in 2016. Learn to take bigger risks.

What's life without risk? undecided

God doesn't build nations. He didn't build Dubai. He didn't build the US we all crave to visit. He didn't build the UK. He didn't build Japan. And He won't build our nation OR any other nations. He doesn't do for man what man can do for himself. Man is imbued with ALL it takes to build himself. As far as we keep expecting God to build our lives or systems or nations, we will wait forever. Man was designed or create and find solutions to his own challenges.

God doesn't exist. Man invented god

Change. You cannot change any situation that you tolerate. As far as you keep excusing your errors and defects, there won't be any progress in your life. For you to experience any development, you'll first change your habits and attitude. I was able to drop some inimical habits and I'm happier today. You are in charge of your life. You have all it takes to progress and improve all areas of your life. If you're unwilling to change, then you'll be stuck in the same position for life. Things don't change on their own accord; you must drive them.

I totally agree with this one. Until you detest your current situation you'll never work hard to get out of it.\

I'll love to share some more BUT these should do. Please, kindly share some of yours with us. Learning never ends as far as we are alive.

Always plan ahead and never be scared of change. Learn more. Make more mistakes. Keep going.

Lalasticalala, let's do the needful.

Password: We killed a snake in our compound grin

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 2015 In Review: My Lessons For The Year. Share Yours. by Nobody: 10:45am On Dec 16, 2015
hahn:

Having one source of income is the worst mistake I made this year and I promise NEVER to repeat it

Old lesson: You can't choose your family but you can choose your friends so choose wisely. I don't have friends, only associates

I blame nothing except myself for whatever happens in my life.

What's life without risk? undecided

God doesn't exist. Man invented god

I totally agree with this one. Until you detest your current situation you'll never work hard to get out of it.\

Always plan ahead and never be scared of change. Learn more. Make more mistakes. Keep going.

Password: We killed a snake in our compound grin

Hmmmm.......Thanks for the contributions.

1 Like

Re: 2015 In Review: My Lessons For The Year. Share Yours. by Nobody: 1:52pm On Dec 16, 2015
Why on earth is this not on FP

@OP, very deep and true but sadly, most of what you say takes hard work and believe it or not, many youths are lazy. I'm still a student schooling but during my breaks, I try to get a job or just do something!

Would you believe that most of my friends, even those that (god forgive me) won't get employed usually criticize me and berate me saying "What am I even feeling like sef?" or "Holidays are meant for enjoyment." And these are the people who constantly complain of being broke!

Honestly, the attitude of some youths sha......

3 Likes

Re: 2015 In Review: My Lessons For The Year. Share Yours. by Nobody: 2:06pm On Dec 16, 2015
SirWere:

@OP, very deep and true but sadly, most of what you say takes hard work and believe it or not, many youths are lazy. I'm still a student schooling but during my breaks, I try to get a job or just do something!

Would you believe that most of my friends, even those that (god forgive me) won't get employed usually criticize me and berate me saying "What am I even feeling like sef?" or "Holidays are meant for enjoyment." And these are the people who constantly complain of being broke!

Many thanks. The fact is, it's hard work getting very successful and financially independent. And many are not willing to pay that high price though they will certainly pay very steep price.

Only the poor see holidays as being meant for enjoyment; the rich see everyday as enjoyment. If you desire success, then you'll have to pay very little attention to what broke people say....You've got to spend more time with those who take their lives very seriously. Today they laugh you; tomorrow they come back to get tips on how you made it.

1 Like

Re: 2015 In Review: My Lessons For The Year. Share Yours. by Nobody: 7:22am On Dec 24, 2015
SirWere:

Lalasticlala, Mynd44, let's hear from others. Compliments.
Re: 2015 In Review: My Lessons For The Year. Share Yours. by moscobabs(m): 9:53am On Dec 24, 2015
H
Re: 2015 In Review: My Lessons For The Year. Share Yours. by etcme(m): 9:54am On Dec 24, 2015
Ok... Lessons learnt. To all, in every of your endeavour, where you are going shouldnt be like where you have been. Dont get it twisted.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2015 In Review: My Lessons For The Year. Share Yours. by Ask4bigneyo(m): 9:54am On Dec 24, 2015
m
Re: 2015 In Review: My Lessons For The Year. Share Yours. by brunofarad(m): 9:54am On Dec 24, 2015
Well ,

I learnt that there's bountiful opportunities abound here in Nigeria,irrespective of what some other youths of my age think.

You only have to think outside the box

That's the key

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2015 In Review: My Lessons For The Year. Share Yours. by RepentantTr0ll(m): 9:55am On Dec 24, 2015
undecided
Re: 2015 In Review: My Lessons For The Year. Share Yours. by Nairalandmentor(m): 9:56am On Dec 24, 2015
Hmmm, it was indeed an amazing year for me. Although, there were a lot of uneasiness within and outside Nigeria, I made remarkable progress.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2015 In Review: My Lessons For The Year. Share Yours. by miqos02(m): 9:56am On Dec 24, 2015
ok
Re: 2015 In Review: My Lessons For The Year. Share Yours. by hakeem4(m): 9:57am On Dec 24, 2015
cool
Re: 2015 In Review: My Lessons For The Year. Share Yours. by coldsummer: 9:58am On Dec 24, 2015

Nice

Waiting for the "new year new me crew"

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2015 In Review: My Lessons For The Year. Share Yours. by adedam007(m): 9:59am On Dec 24, 2015
Re: 2015 In Review: My Lessons For The Year. Share Yours. by Ebukaobi: 10:01am On Dec 24, 2015
@ Op I hope your hatred for Yorubas will subside in 2016

1 Like

Re: 2015 In Review: My Lessons For The Year. Share Yours. by anonimi: 10:02am On Dec 24, 2015

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2015 In Review: My Lessons For The Year. Share Yours. by fxbot: 10:02am On Dec 24, 2015
dearpreye:
I know some of us will protest that the year isn't actually over. Yes. That's correct. We still have close to 3 weeks to the end of 2015. But the truth is, a lot of us are already mentally in 2016; we simply can't wait to put our 2015 lessons into action into 2016. Time waits for nobody.

In the course of the year, I've made a lot of mistakes and have equally learned many invaluable lessons. I'm very happy to share with us some of those incredible lessons. Let me bare the bitter lessons alone. LOL!

Entrepreneurship. I realised a lot of us can become entrepreneurs if we're willing to learn the skills and align whatever we want to do with our core passion. If you hate the Rat Race like I do, you'll surely find a way out- including becoming an entrepreneur. It's takes only passion, skills and an open mind to become one.

Lalasticalala, Mynd44, lasis69, let's do the needful.
ME and risk na twins... cool especially taking risk with my money lol.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 2015 In Review: My Lessons For The Year. Share Yours. by elantraceey(f): 10:03am On Dec 24, 2015
Reading

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2015 In Review: My Lessons For The Year. Share Yours. by coolhumble(m): 10:04am On Dec 24, 2015
You made my whole day. Thank you bro!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2015 In Review: My Lessons For The Year. Share Yours. by coolhumble(m): 10:07am On Dec 24, 2015
You are appreciated bro for sharing all this. I hope i can.learn from you about the shipping from.those asian.countries? Thanks and God bless!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Nigerian Youths Need To Make The Transition From Graduate To Apprentice / Opera Hub Is SCAM, Don't Write For Them. Read My Review Now / Can I Use Salesforce Certificate To Get A Job Elsewhere?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.