Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,796 members, 7,810,074 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:05 PM

Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons - Career (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons (180925 Views)

2015 In Review: My Lessons For The Year. Share Yours. / Towards Achieving Financial Independence! / Your Dream Career? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (40) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by cc150615(f): 6:14pm On Aug 24, 2014
MarvellousGod: That means you applied for commonwealth shared scholarship and not the general Commonwealth scholarship who normally hv their interviews in Abuja?..it's alright. ..Goodluck to uss smiley
Yea I applied for Commonwealth shared
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Emasel(m): 7:10pm On Aug 24, 2014
cc150615:
Yea I applied for Commonwealth shared

for 2015? is it out already?
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by cc150615(f): 7:13pm On Aug 24, 2014
Emasel:

for 2015? is it out already?
No na but we were talking about 2014
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Emasel(m): 7:16pm On Aug 24, 2014
cc150615:
No na but we were talking about 2014

okay,but the prospectus of 2015 should be out by now.It usually comes in August of the preceeding year.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by ayoola190: 5:23pm On Aug 25, 2014
Am a 2:2 graduate from a federal university. How can I develop my engineering career?

I need to recover from that 2:2. Please highlight what I need to do or training I need to undergo to help boost my career.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by houseoftuition: 1:13am On Aug 28, 2014
You can now get Chartered from the comfort of your own house at www.IcanLectures.com.ng Even if you are new to the Curriculum,with no previous knowledge, it is our diligent commitment and promise to you, that nevertheless, YOU WILL PASS.

Stay in the comfort of your home or office and we'll bring you as perfect an understanding as is humanly possible.
Give us a try and see that these are no mere words.

Regards
The IcanLectures.com.ng Team

1 Like

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Tundex4real(m): 1:02pm On Aug 28, 2014
sorry ma big bros and siss for derailing a bt i want u peeps 2 ansa ma qst...wat does cover letter means and wat is it used for??.Am a JAMBITE wanting 2 knw abt it..God bless ya all...
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Kunle106(m): 1:32pm On Aug 28, 2014
Tundex4real: sorry ma big bros and siss for derailing a bt i want u peeps 2 ansa ma qst...wat does cover letter means and wat is it used for??.Am a JAMBITE wanting 2 knw abt it..God bless ya all...
A cover letter supplements a resume and provides additional information on your skills and qualifications for the job for which your applying.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by deewon56: 2:02pm On Aug 28, 2014
McWhillion:
You can send me a pm, I ll send it through your email or you can drop the email here.
Akindowaledayo@gmail.com
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 5:39pm On Aug 28, 2014
xfire:

In the coming days as time permits, I will write on cover letter writing (based on demand) and how to maintain professional networks. I will also discuss some of the current challenges I am facing in my career and how I am working towards overcoming them. Stay tuned.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 5:45pm On Aug 28, 2014
Tundex4real: sorry ma big bros and siss for derailing a bt i want u peeps 2 ansa ma qst...wat does cover letter means and wat is it used for??.Am a JAMBITE wanting 2 knw abt it..God bless ya all...
Bro, as a JAMBITE, you should be more concerned with your studies.... cheesy Just joking anyway
Yea, nice that you asked. Kunle106 has given you a brief but accurate response. I plan talking comprehensively on cover letters in the next few weeks as a lot of people have asked me questions about it. Stay tuned. wink
nabsprada:
Nabs, thanks for reminding me once again. smiley
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 7:31pm On Aug 28, 2014
xfire:
Nabs, thanks for reminding me once again. smiley

My pleasure sirsmiley

1 Like

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by perry2020(f): 7:22am On Aug 30, 2014
McWhillion:
You can send me a pm, I ll send it through your email or you can drop the email here.
Mzkomsy@gmail.com
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by ignis: 8:02am On Aug 30, 2014
McWhillion:

Please send to my email, I just sent you a PM now.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by sauceEEP(m): 8:44am On Aug 30, 2014
Following...
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by McWhillion(m): 9:45am On Aug 30, 2014
ignis:

Please send to my email, I just sent you a PM now.
I didn't see it. resend.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by MissJennifer(f): 11:45am On Aug 30, 2014
Hello everyone, please I need clarifications to this issue. Recently, i've been hearing,if you want to go into the academics, get a masters. If you want to go into the coporate world,get certifications n a job first then decide whether to go back to school or not later.I want to know how true this is cos am a fresh graduate of economics and I intend going in for masters in the next academic session. I have no experience whatsoever n I don't intend going into the academics

Thank you in advance!
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 11:57am On Aug 30, 2014
MissJennifer: Hello everyone, please I need clarifications to this issue. Recently, i've been hearing,if you want to go into the academics, get a masters. If you want to go into the coporate world,get certifications n a job first then decide whether to go back to school or not later.I want to know how true this is cos am a fresh graduate of economics and I intend going in for masters in the next academic session. I have no experience whatsoever n I don't intend going into the academics

Thank you in advance!
Definitely, you should further your studies if you intend to build a career in academics. Further education is not compulsory if you want to gain work/industry experience. For instance, I only have a BSc and I have worked for 3 firms so far. I have also rejected an offer once for a better one. But if you are still young and /or you won a PG scholarship, you may consider going for your MSc first before searching for a job. You may also decide to enroll for MSc while job hunting. The choice is yours.

A good BSc is enough to fetch you a good job even without Masters. Just work on your aptitude test and interview skills. And watch out for vacancies and apply. Depending on what you want for a career, you can also consider certifications, but it is also not mandatory. I never had certifications before getting my first 2 jobs.

Cheers....

3 Likes

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by MissJennifer(f): 1:47pm On Aug 30, 2014
xfire:
Definitely, you should further your studies if you intend to build a career in academics. Further education is not compulsory if you want to gain work/industry experience. For instance, I only have a BSc and I have worked for 3 firms so far. I have also rejected an offer once for a better one. But if you are still young and /or you won a PG scholarship, you may consider going for your MSc first before searching for a job. You may also decide to enroll for MSc while job hunting. The choice is yours.

A good BSc is enough to fetch you a good job even without Masters. Just work on your aptitude test and interview skills. And watch out for vacancies and apply. Depending on what you want for a career, you can also consider certifications, but it is also not mandatory. I never had certifications before getting my first 2 jobs.

Cheers....

Thank you very much for your quick response. Am still young (22) and am considering the masters partly cos my folks want it. However, I have been applying jus incase the msc doesn't work out. I'll jus keep working on my aptitude test/interview skills which I happen to be not good at. As for the certifications, I agree with you. .....tried acca and failed woefully at my first attempt.. lol
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by ignis: 4:12pm On Aug 30, 2014
McWhillion: I didn't see it. resend.
Done... seen it?
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by McWhillion(m): 5:08pm On Aug 30, 2014
ignis:
Done... seen it?
yup, would send it in the night
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by ignis: 5:12pm On Aug 30, 2014
McWhillion: yup, would send it in the night

Thanks Dear. ..
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by ignis: 9:20am On Aug 31, 2014
McWhillion: yup, would send it in the night
Am yet to get it, pls.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by McWhillion(m): 2:36pm On Aug 31, 2014
ignis:
Am yet to get it, pls.
I sent it yesterday nite. check well, check your spam too. sent it at 7:17pm
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by McWhillion(m): 2:37pm On Aug 31, 2014
perry2020:
Mzkomsy@gmail.com
Hope you got it
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by McWhillion(m): 2:37pm On Aug 31, 2014
deewon56: Akindowaledayo@gmail.com
Hope you got it
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by ignis: 2:54pm On Aug 31, 2014
McWhillion:
I sent it yesterday nite. check well, check your spam too. sent it at 7:17pm

Saw it in spam, thanks
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by deewon56: 3:05pm On Aug 31, 2014
McWhillion:
Hope you got it
tanx yes
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by perry2020(f): 2:26pm On Sep 01, 2014
McWhillion:
Hope you got it
Nt yet sir
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by McWhillion(m): 3:57pm On Sep 01, 2014
perry2020:
Nt yet sir
check your inbox or spam
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 11:01pm On Sep 01, 2014
This was my last write-up before the Nairaland attack. It concludes my article on how I personally manage work life balance. It is unedited:

MANAGING WORK AND LIFE ACTIVITIES Cont'd

6. Giving: Giving comes in different ways but I am referring to monetary gifts here. Giving to people in need, family members, friends, societal and religious activities is part of everyday living. I believe everyone should develop the habit of giving irrespective of current financial status. Giving is however a contentious issue. Knowing when to give, who to give and how much to give can be really challenging. This is more so in cases where there are many demands for your limited financial resources. There is no absolute answer to those three questions. Situations vary for each individual and there are certain times we have to say no to some requests. A balance should be consciously made to give to the varying segments in the society both those we know and others we don't have a relationship with. Humans are by nature self-centered and we naturally tend to give to receive in return. The receipt may not necessary be in cash but in kind e.g. people's approval, kindness, allowing shortcuts, obtaining favour, popularity, intimacy, etc. One way or the other, we all practice some level of self-centered giving. But with conscious effort we can give without hoping to receive in return, and we must learn to give altruistically so often that it becomes a habit.

7. Family time: I grew up in a closely knitted African nuclear family. My parents valued the typical African culture of discipline, responsibility, education, respect and hard work. I therefore value the family unit and the support system that comes from that bond. Due to time and distance constraint, I do not get to see my parents, siblings and close relatives as often as I will love to see them. I do not have my own family yet, but I definitely look forward to having one soon. I therefore cannot talk much about managing work and family issues since I am yet to experience it firsthand. I am starting to make adequate room for that anyway. An experienced career wife would better do justice to that as they seem to face such issues more than their complementary counterpart.

8. Societal and community activities: I participate in a few societal activities like wedding and naming ceremonies, birthday parties, outings, launching ceremony, festivals, etc. Those are avenues to relax , have fun and sometimes meet new people. Work and other engagements limit the number of activities I participate in. Besides, engaging in societal activities is not very high in my list of priorities. But I see it as a form of refreshment from constant life pressures once in awhile.

9. Political activities: Though I follow closely the political situations in this country, I am not involved in partisan politics neither am I a member of any civil society or NGO. I am passionate about good governance in Nigeria and will very much like to see Nigeria on the path of peace, sustainable progress and unity. I will strongly consider a civil society or pressure group in the future (if time and belief permit) so that I can play an active role in pursuing the prosperous Nigeria we all dream about. But I doubt if I will ever be involved in partisan politics. I hope not!

10. Relaxation - Sometimes, the best moments in life are the times when you are just indoors relaxing, feeling lazy, sleeping, watching TV series, playing games, surfing the web, listening and dancing to some nice music, watching good football, lawn tennis or WWE wrestling (yes, I am a fan of professional wrestling!). I love being indoors alone or with a few close friends or relatives. I love being on my own; I love that feeling of independence, but I know I will eventually have to give up some of these idiosyncrasies with time.

Completed......

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (40) (Reply)

Interview Question: 'What Time Are You Available To Start Work?' / How To Become A Nse, Coren Registered Engineer In Nigeria / CFA Candidates In The House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.