Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,724 members, 7,813,393 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:43 AM

Nigerians Have The 5th Sexiest Accent In The World - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigerians Have The 5th Sexiest Accent In The World (2505 Views)

Some Common Misconceptions Nigerians Have About Other Nigerians. / Nigerians Have Very High Self Esteem! / Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Have The 5th Sexiest Accent In The World by infonubia(m): 5:35pm On Jan 03, 2014
Naija, we nor dey carry last! The next time someone asks about your accent, tell them it's the fifth sexiest accent in the world! Well, that's according to a 2012 CNN article (I bet it hasn't changed much).

According to the article, it is estimated that there are about 7000 languages on earth. This mean there are about 7000 different ways to speak the English language with an accent.

Before I list the 12 sexiest accent, I noticed that people no longer say "you have an accent." It seem like we are moving with the times. In this era of political correctness, what you hear is "I love your accent, where is it from?" Abi I lie? Or is it just a Texas thing? I know my New York people don't play; they shoot straight. I'm not sure if that's the case over there.

Also, Canadians can't tell an accent. The diverse culture in that county makes everyone sound alike eh? Lol...just kidding.

Anyways, back to the matter. Here's the list of the top 12 sexiest accent in the world (in descending order).

- Agrentine
- Thai
- Trinidadian
- Brazilian Portuguese
- US Southern (Reference - y'all)
- Oxford British
- Irish
- Nigerian (more on this after the list)
- Czech
- Spanish
- French
- Italian

Here's what the author wrote about the Nigerian accent:

Dignified, with just a hint of willful naiveté, the deep, rich “oh’s” and “eh’s” of Naija bend the English language without breaking it, arousing tremors in places other languages can’t reach. Kinda makes the occasional phone scam worth the swindle.

Now, that's hilarious!

I think the Nigerian accent varies depending on what part of the country one grew up in. An Igbo person usually sound different from a Yoruba or Hausa. Same can be said of the other tribes.

Which of the Nigerian tribes speak the most fluent English?

If you have a well educated, Igbo, Yoruba, and Hausa person, who do you think speaks the most fluent English? In my experience, I'd say the Hausa man speaks better that others. I think it has to do with the Hausa/Fulani language; it's not as heavy as Yoruba or Igbo.

What do you think? Let me know if you agree or disagree.

http://www.infonubia.com/2014/01/nigeria-has-5th-sexiest-accent-in-world.html
Re: Nigerians Have The 5th Sexiest Accent In The World by Tolexander: 5:48pm On Jan 03, 2014
Seems they didn't take warri accent into consideration when rating nigerian accent.
Re: Nigerians Have The 5th Sexiest Accent In The World by infonubia(m): 6:14pm On Jan 03, 2014
Tolexander: Seems they didn't take warri accent into consideration when rating nigerian accent.

Hahaha! too funny.
Re: Nigerians Have The 5th Sexiest Accent In The World by Fulaman198(m): 1:55am On Jan 04, 2014
infonubia: Naija, we nor dey carry last! The next time someone asks about your accent, tell them it's the fifth sexiest accent in the world! Well, that's according to a 2012 CNN article (I bet it hasn't changed much).

According to the article, it is estimated that there are about 7000 languages on earth. This mean there are about 7000 different ways to speak the English language with an accent.

Before I list the 12 sexiest accent, I noticed that people no longer say "you have an accent." It seem like we are moving with the times. In this era of political correctness, what you hear is "I love your accent, where is it from?" Abi I lie? Or is it just a Texas thing? I know my New York people don't play; they shoot straight. I'm not sure if that's the case over there.

Also, Canadians can't tell an accent. The diverse culture in that county makes everyone sound alike eh? Lol...just kidding.

Anyways, back to the matter. Here's the list of the top 12 sexiest accent in the world (in descending order).

- Agrentine
- Thai
- Trinidadian
- Brazilian Portuguese
- US Southern (Reference - y'all)
- Oxford British
- Irish
- Nigerian (more on this after the list)
- Czech
- Spanish
- French
- Italian

Here's what the author wrote about the Nigerian accent:

Now, that's hilarious!

I think the Nigerian accent varies depending on what part of the country one grew up in. An Igbo person usually sound different from a Yoruba or Hausa. Same can be said of the other tribes.

Which of the Nigerian tribes speak the most fluent English?

If you have a well educated, Igbo, Yoruba, and Hausa person, who do you think speaks the most fluent English? In my experience, I'd say the Hausa man speaks better that others. I think it has to do with the Hausa/Fulani language; it's not as heavy as Yoruba or Igbo.

What do you think? Let me know if you agree or disagree.

http://www.infonubia.com/2014/01/nigeria-has-5th-sexiest-accent-in-world.html

Hausa and Fulani language are quite different.
Re: Nigerians Have The 5th Sexiest Accent In The World by tpia5: 3:40am On Jan 04, 2014
more scam @ topic.
Re: Nigerians Have The 5th Sexiest Accent In The World by macof(m): 2:43pm On Jan 04, 2014
Hausa English accent the problem is you don't get to meet much Hausa people speaking English fluently.

The worst is Australian, you no go understand anything
Re: Nigerians Have The 5th Sexiest Accent In The World by Fulaman198(m): 8:26am On Jan 05, 2014
macof: Hausa English accent the problem is you don't get to meet much Hausa people speaking English fluently.

The worst is Australian, you no go understand anything

Maybe not in Nigeria these days since the government has failed, but go to Ghana, and you will see quite a lot.
Re: Nigerians Have The 5th Sexiest Accent In The World by kemiola89(f): 10:11am On Jan 05, 2014
Nah nah nah nah! I totally disagree with you. Hausa speaks fluent English??

Almost 90% of those northern politicians speaks english with heavy accent.
Re: Nigerians Have The 5th Sexiest Accent In The World by macof(m): 11:13am On Jan 05, 2014
@fulaman how much Hausa people are really fluent with English? I haven't met much.
But the few I have, have nice accent that flow with English
Re: Nigerians Have The 5th Sexiest Accent In The World by macof(m): 11:14am On Jan 05, 2014
kemiola89: Nah nah nah nah! I totally disagree with you. Hausa speaks fluent English??

I know wat am saying, Hausa accent is best with English. But only when it's a well educated Hausa man that speaks English fluently.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Have The 5th Sexiest Accent In The World by kemiola89(f): 12:36pm On Jan 05, 2014
I want to believe 'fluency' is the ability to express oneself clearly and effortlessly in a particular language.

In the case of an Hausa man that speaks English with heavy hausa accent you hardly understand what they say. You can't really term that as being fluent when you don't even understand the type of English they speak.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Have The 5th Sexiest Accent In The World by Idunobaehis(m): 6:47pm On Jan 05, 2014
macof: @fulaman how much Hausa people are really fluent with English? I haven't met much.
But the few I have, have nice accent that flow with English
yea, it's true. only a very few Hausas speak english fluently, but among those few, their accent is very pleasant, having a kinda resemblance with Ghana accent eg. they pronounce towel as tawel and so on.
Re: Nigerians Have The 5th Sexiest Accent In The World by Fulaman198(m): 12:04am On Jan 06, 2014
First and foremost, accent is not correlated to education at all. Being fluent in English is not an appropriate measure of ones intelligence. What about Russians, French, Germans, Japanese, Chinese, etc. They don't speak English. This goes back to Nigeria's low self-esteem.

Anyways, a Northerner speaking English.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-cjdPiR4rk&
Re: Nigerians Have The 5th Sexiest Accent In The World by prophetone(m): 5:43am On Jan 06, 2014
The Hausa accent is quite pleasant when spoken with a good command of English. The assumption that most northerners don't speak good English is archaic at best and that handicap has been reduced in modern times.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Have The 5th Sexiest Accent In The World by Fulaman198(m): 8:55pm On Jan 06, 2014
prophet_one: The Hausa accent is quite pleasant when spoken with a good command of English. The assumption that most northerners don't speak good English is archaic at best and that handicap has been reduced in modern times.

Very true
Re: Nigerians Have The 5th Sexiest Accent In The World by Fulaman198(m): 9:03pm On Jan 06, 2014
Tafawa Balewa is a Fulfulde phrase (Fulani phrase) though, I don't know if he is Fulani. He probably is, but as you can see, his command of the English language is remarkable.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Have The 5th Sexiest Accent In The World by infonubia(m): 9:30pm On Jan 06, 2014
Fulaman198: Tafawa Balewa is a Fulfulde phrase (Fulani phrase) though, I don't know if he is Fulani. He probably is, but as you can see, his command of the English language is remarkable.

So true

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Have The 5th Sexiest Accent In The World by macof(m): 9:30pm On Jan 06, 2014
Fulaman198: Tafawa Balewa is a Fulfulde phrase (Fulani phrase) though, I don't know if he is Fulani. He probably is, but as you can see, his command of the English language is remarkable.

True. The man's accent is cool

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Have The 5th Sexiest Accent In The World by infonubia(m): 10:48pm On Jan 06, 2014
kemiola89: Nah nah nah nah! I totally disagree with you. Hausa speaks fluent English??

It's the same reason why the Hausa language is one of the easiest languages to learn in Nigeria. It isn't as heavy as Igbo or Yoruba. You might not find a lot of Hausa folks that speak fluent English (heck, there are not a lot of Yorubas or Igbos neither), but when you find one, you'd appreciate how he/she speaks.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Have The 5th Sexiest Accent In The World by Nobody: 11:48am On Jun 28, 2014
prophet_one: The Hausa accent is quite pleasant when spoken with a good command of English. The assumption that most northerners don't speak good English is archaic at best and that handicap has been reduced in modern times.
it will sound better to some if u moo that in cow language,dontcha think?
Re: Nigerians Have The 5th Sexiest Accent In The World by Nobody: 7:02pm On Jun 29, 2014
macof:

True. The man's accent is cool

I loved it but a lil 'naijacentric' here and there but i'd love me a Naija dude that can speak like that without trying to hard.
My dad speaks hausa like a hausa'man, and e is yoruba.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

This Guy Is So On Point About Nigerian 'halloweeners' / Confusion In Ekiti Town As Goat Is Delivers Human-like Baby Goat [PHOTO] / Father And Young Daughters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.