Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,087 members, 7,818,259 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:21 AM

Which Ethnic Group Comes 4th In Nigeria? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Which Ethnic Group Comes 4th In Nigeria? (7360 Views)

Which Ethnic Group Is The Majority In South South Geo Political Zone / Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. / Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Ethnic Group Comes 4th In Nigeria? by BashBB: 6:34pm On Jul 11, 2014
musiwa112: yorubas are fa far far more than the hausa/fulani ,
Bros no vex say I qoute you o....but there's nothing like Hausa/Fulani you r either Hausa or Fulani.....but FYI: I'm Hausa bt not Fulani

1 Like

Re: Which Ethnic Group Comes 4th In Nigeria? by Tobbie9(m): 6:40pm On Jul 11, 2014
customized07: then don't bother asking silly questions.
then don't bother making stupid comments u can't prove. Goodbye
Re: Which Ethnic Group Comes 4th In Nigeria? by 500GPA: 6:45pm On Jul 11, 2014
customized07: before I answer the boldened above, tell me why yorubas always nag about igbos in their land.

IN WHAT WAY ARE THE YORUBA ALWAYS NAG ABOUT IBO IN THEIR LAND? KINDLY EXPLAIN
Re: Which Ethnic Group Comes 4th In Nigeria? by EasternLeopard: 7:00pm On Jul 11, 2014
mandarin:

The Nigeria population census has been contested several times and so would not be a wholly perfect reference but also have its own level of truth.Like said by one of the posters here that Kano state has been divided a number of time but keeps having more population than Lagos state is in itself a way to doubt the truth of figures presented. Like I also said anywhere, I believe Nigeria's population is grossly overstated to accommodate huge figures that will make places like Sokoto,Kano, Jigawa and Zamfara come up with huge population for obvious numerical advantage. Taken that the northerners give birth more than southerners based on religion and polygamy I will however not agree to those bogus figures being reported. I believe the Nigeria population itself should not be more than 120 - 140 million which will actually mean writing off 20 million excess as being referred.
Coming to those claiming that certain ethnic groups are fourth in the ranking , I cannot agree with those claiming Ijaw based on the following reasons
1. Ijaw are found primarily in Bayelsa as the dominant group, one of the top three in Rivers and Delta and a very tiny minority in Ondo and Edo
If you consider the population of these states vis a vis the percentage of Ijaw living there you cannot get 10% of Nigeria's ,population, that will be a blatant lie. If honesty is anything to go by I think the Ijaw around these states cannot be more than 5 million or less
2. The kanuri are majorly in Borno and Yobe where they are the dominant groups and some few states around the north east. Taking the population of those states they too cannot exceed 6 million which even place them above the Ijaw. That the Ijaw are the fourth group is a product of propaganda and its baseless just like a whole lots of their claims on ownership of lands across the coast.
3.The Tiv are largest groups in Benue and are also indigents in states as Taraba, Cross River,Nasarawa. Summing up their numbers will give them like 5-6 million too
4. The Efik and Ibiobio if considered as one group will be indigents of Akwa Ibom and Cross River and considering their population will be around 8million which will make them the 4th largest group in Nigeria.

However we must consider the Fulani who are actually spread across ,Nigeria but we cannot separate them from the Hausa in the states of Sokoto, Zamfara, Katsina etc where they have fused into themselves apart from those Bororo Fulani that are widespread all over Nigeria as cattle rearers. Our best is to lump them that way.The population of the North-western states are seriously overestimated like I said but if we lump the Hausa and Fulani together they will be the largest may be 25%.

The Yoruba groups are found in nine states in Nigeria where they are the exclusive in five(Ekiti,Oyo,Ondo,Osun,Ogun)dominate in two(Kwara, Lagos) and are the third largest group in two(Kogi,Edo)if Itsekiri are counted as part of them they will be in ten states. Considering the population of these states, it will give them like 24% of Nigeria's population.

The Igbo are found in 8 states where they are exclusive in three(Imo,Abia,Ebonyi) dominate in Enugu & Anambra(few Igala people are indigents) and are the second or third largest group in Delta and are indigents of Rivers and Bayelsa
Considering the population of these states and other factors to be stated below the Igbo will be like 19% of Nigeria.

Other factors
Migration across Nigeria by various ethnic groups are great and this cut across various groups. The Igbo are largely traders and that make them so conscupious in any environment unlike the Hausa some of whom are traders, securities and do a whole lots of menial jobs. The Hausa however live in groups and can easily be spotted at random when they converge.The Yoruba are people who easily fuse into their communities and it may be difficult to say which is more for instance in the north between the Yoruba and Igbo. For states like Sokoto, Kebbi, Katsina,Kaduna and Kano I think the Yoruba are in larger number with over two generations of settlers many of whom have been Hausanized or are not easily spotted. They are the artisans, a lot of them are Muslims and many of them from Oyo, Kwara and Kogi feel at home there.
If Nigeria's census is to be taken today in absolute truth a lot will be amazed what the result will be. Let me just stop here.

The number of yorubas living in Igboland is not up to 100,000. But the number of Igbos in Yorubaland is in its millions.

When you go to the North, you will agree with me that Yorubas are not more than the Igbos. Whenever there is riot in the North, Igbos suffer the higher casualties when compared to the Yorubas.

So stop judging base on number of states.

1 Like

Re: Which Ethnic Group Comes 4th In Nigeria? by customized07: 7:13pm On Jul 11, 2014
500GPA:

IN WHAT WAY ARE THE YORUBA ALWAYS NAG ABOUT IBO IN THEIR LAND? KINDLY EXPLAIN
are you this slow in learning?
Re: Which Ethnic Group Comes 4th In Nigeria? by customized07: 7:16pm On Jul 11, 2014
Tobbie9: then don't bother making stupid comments u can't prove. Goodbye
the only region in nigeria yoruba can beat igbos in population is in the SW. Yoruba can never have more in other five geo-political zones. This is a fact.
Re: Which Ethnic Group Comes 4th In Nigeria? by 500GPA: 7:16pm On Jul 11, 2014
customized07: are you this slow in learning?

DON'T BEHAVE LIKE A FOOL.

IN WHAT WAY ARE THE YORUBA ALWAYS NAG
ABOUT IBO IN THEIR LAND? KINDLY EXPLAIN?
Re: Which Ethnic Group Comes 4th In Nigeria? by customized07: 7:48pm On Jul 11, 2014
500GPA:

DON'T BEHAVE LIKE A FOOL.

IN WHAT WAY ARE THE YORUBA ALWAYS NAG
ABOUT IBO IN THEIR LAND? KINDLY EXPLAIN?
do you really expect me to answer this subtly composed question, when you are a victim of what am saying?
Re: Which Ethnic Group Comes 4th In Nigeria? by 500GPA: 8:19pm On Jul 11, 2014
customized07: do you really expect me to answer this subtly composed question, when you are a victim of what am saying?

WHAT VICTIM OF WHAT? JUST ENUMERATE WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT AND LET'S TACKLE IT OUT.

#YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE SCARED.
Re: Which Ethnic Group Comes 4th In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:02am On Jul 12, 2014
Whenever a credible census is conducted,it will show that Igbos are the most ethnic group in Nigeria
All things point to that

3 Likes

Re: Which Ethnic Group Comes 4th In Nigeria? by lonelydora: 2:22am On Jul 12, 2014
Afam4eva: There's no fourth as the constitution does not recognize a 4th ethnic group. According to Nigeria, it's Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba and others.

Nwanne i ga adi!
Re: Which Ethnic Group Comes 4th In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:46am On Jul 12, 2014
EasternLeopard:

The number of yorubas living in Igboland is not up to 100,000. But the number of Igbos in Yorubaland is in its millions.

When you go to the North, you will agree with me that Yorubas are not more than the Igbos. Whenever there is riot in the North, Igbos suffer the higher casualties when compared to the Yorubas.

So stop judging base on number of states.

Errr... maybe that is because a good proportion of yorubas are Muslim, and blend in well with Hausa, while igbo are always conspicuous and are almost entirely christian?
Re: Which Ethnic Group Comes 4th In Nigeria? by EasternLeopard: 8:29am On Jul 12, 2014
Bororojo:

Errr... maybe that is because a good proportion of yorubas are Muslim, and blend in well with Hausa, while igbo are always conspicuous and are almost entirely christian?

Everyone knows that Yorubas are roughly split btw Islam and Christianity with more converting to Christianity everyday.

So a situation where a riot breaks out and Yoruba Christians are rarely affected proves two things

A) Northern Nigeria is not Yoruba Christians favourite destination. Meaning they are majorly in the SW since their population in the SE and most of SS excluding Edo is not much.

B) if point A is true which is true according to your view, then it means more than 50% of Yorubas reside within the SW

FACT: The number of non-Yorubas living in SW are in their millions why the number of non-Igbos living in SE/Igbo SS areas are not up to 1million due to little federal presence.

Therefore if Igbos can still boast of a huge population living within Igboland despite massive migration of more than half her population, I don't think it is wise to believe Yorubas are more than Igbos since the difference in population btw those living in the SE and SW is not up to 10 million despite the huge presence of other Nigerians in the SW.
Re: Which Ethnic Group Comes 4th In Nigeria? by AustineE1: 9:22am On Jul 12, 2014
There are certainly topics that sounds funny,most informed Nigerians knows that Igbos are by far the largest ethnic group outside politics,Festus Odumegwu was relieved of his appointment as Census Board Chair,when he started making noise about adding ethnicity and religion to our census data.The old order felt threatened and asked for his head,that is a story for another day.
Then bringing it home to even our own Nairaland,a state by state census was conducted on this forum and lo and behold,Anambra was the state with the highest population on Nairaland,followed strongly by Imo state and other Igbo igbo state didnt do badly!except someone will also have to postulate a theory that the reason the Igbo states topped the E-census was because we are more educated,adventurous,prosperous and more likely to have access to online forum.
But less wait for the great day when ethnicity will appear in our census and only then,we will realise that truth is constant.
God bless Nigeria.....Hausa-Fulani's wld ve been the largest ethnic group but for the fact that both do not belong to thesame ethnic group and when seperated,they are in-comparable to the Igbo ethnic group.

1 Like

Re: Which Ethnic Group Comes 4th In Nigeria? by pazienza(m): 10:20am On Jul 12, 2014
AustineE1: There are certainly topics that sounds funny,most informed Nigerians knows that Igbos are by far the largest ethnic group outside politics,Festus Odumegwu was relieved of his appointment as Census Board Chair,when he started making noise about adding ethnicity and religion to our census data.The old order felt threatened and asked for his head,that is a story for another day.
Then bringing it home to even our own Nairaland,a state by state census was conducted on this forum and lo and behold,Anambra was the state with the highest population on Nairaland,followed strongly by Imo state and other Igbo igbo state didnt do badly!except someone will also have to postulate a theory that the reason the Igbo states topped the E-census was because we are more educated,adventurous,prosperous and more likely to have access to online forum.
But less wait for the great day when ethnicity will appear in our census and only then,we will realise that truth is constant.
God bless Nigeria.....Hausa-Fulani's wld ve been the largest ethnic group but for the fact that both do not belong to thesame ethnic group and when seperated,they are in-comparable to the Igbo ethnic group.

Even a census estimation done by the colonials before independence show that Igbo speaking tribes are by far more populous than any other language group within southern Nigeria.

We have Igbo speaking tribes in Abia, Anambra,Enugu,Imo,Ebonyi,Delta,Rivers,Bayelsa,Edo,Benue,Akwaibom. That's 11 states! And if we are to add the Agbo people(liyel imoke people, Abi LGA) of Cross river state, that will make it 12 states.

It is obvious why some people won't want to have language and ethnicity included in the census, it's the same reason why JAMB had stopped giving us statistical break down of JAMB applicants by state of origin.
Re: Which Ethnic Group Comes 4th In Nigeria? by cheruv: 2:58pm On Jul 12, 2014
500GP:

THAT'S YOUR OWN VIEW..
THAT'S THE LATEST DEMOGRAPHIC COUNTING

HAUSA -FULANI (29%) YORUBA(21%) IGBO (18%) IJAW (10%).....

YOU ARE ANGRY BECAUSE U ARE FROM MONITORY TRIBE.......
awo free education grin cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Which Ethnic Group Comes 4th In Nigeria? by HappyJoe: 5:08pm On Jul 12, 2014
I have absolutely no doubts that there are more Igbos than Yorubas. Whether there are more Igbos than Hausa/Fulanis, I don't know.
Re: Which Ethnic Group Comes 4th In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:23pm On Jul 12, 2014
I dont know how many times people want to hear it, before they stop using this term Hausa-Fulani.
would it be right if i start saying the "Hausa-Kanuri" or "Hausa-Nupe" Ethnic group?

EasternLeopard:
Everyone knows that Yorubas are roughly split btw Islam and Christianity with more converting to Christianity everyday.

Where are you getting these assumptions from?
Re: Which Ethnic Group Comes 4th In Nigeria? by EasternLeopard: 5:50pm On Jul 12, 2014
Bororojo: I dont know how many times people want to hear it, before they stop using this term Hausa-Fulani.
would it be right if i start saying the "Hausa-Kanuri" or "Hausa-Nupe" Ethnic group?

Where are you getting these assumptions from?

It is a common knowledge in the SW

That Christianity is gaining ground at an alarming rate.

One day you too will convert.
Re: Which Ethnic Group Comes 4th In Nigeria? by jared007: 8:40am On Jul 13, 2014
The first is hausa. The second is igbo. The third is yoruba. The fourth is ?. The fifth is urhobo. Source: (jared-pedia)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Tinubu's "Bala Blue" Incident : What Is Really Going On? / 2023: I Am Not Doing Any Anti-party In Abia - Sen Orji Kalu (video) / President Tinubu To Attend 78th UN General Assembly In New York

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.