Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,557 members, 7,837,140 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:41 PM

Paying Huge Amount Of Money As Applicants Before Getting A Job - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Paying Huge Amount Of Money As Applicants Before Getting A Job (617 Views)

Abacha Loot Is Too Huge For Us To Handle – World Bank / Present Your Pry Sch Certificate Before Getting Salaries-osun Govt Tells Workers / Nairalanders...can You Bet This Amount Of Money On Buhari Or GEJ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Paying Huge Amount Of Money As Applicants Before Getting A Job by onismate: 3:36am On Jan 05, 2014
Will Nigeria ever be free from corruption? Will Government Agencies ever be free from corruption when recruiting workers? I looked at myself, a young vibrant Nigerian, will be graduating from the university this year. I asked myself “what the hope of getting employed”, with what am hearing about getting employed, the processes it takes in Nigeria today. In Nigeria today, in many Government agencies, before getting a job, one has to pay to get the job. And it is even a probability in getting the job. People paying to get jobs, it is not even sure of them getting the job but, they paid for it. I have heard so many stories of top Government parastators like NSCDC, SSS, Nigerian Immigration and others collecting money from applicants during recruiting . So many people have complained, cried that they have been duped, huge amount of money have been extorted from them by some workers in that organization or the Oga at the top. I have asked myself several times, Government organization like customs, must applicants pay up to N500,000 to N1million or more before they could get the job if they will even get it. They will tell you that you have to scratch the back of the Oga at the top before the applicants can be given the job. Who is the Oga at the top? why is he/she demanding huge sums of money from people before giving them jobs, is the person really the oga at the top? All these were all my worries, it rekindled when I heard this story of a very good friend of mine.

Firstly, last year when a female friend of mine, she visited me. She has been looking for a job since she finished NYSC in 2010. She said that she wanted to apply in Nigeria Immigrations service when they were massively recruiting last year. She later opted out due to the demands of one top oga in the immigrations who promised to help her get the job. The oga asked her to pay N500,000. “Where will I get that kind of money” she said. She said the man even told her that it was because he knows her that is why he’s asking for only N500,000, he asks for N1million from other people and many paid.

Another friend of mine who visited me during the last Christmas, he said they asked N100,000 from him which he gave in Nigerian immigration in Port Harcot. He even borrowed N30,000 just to add up to complete the N100,000. After everything, he still didn’t get the Job. He was so pained when he was narrating what happened to me; but he said he was happy that he has been able to pay back the money he borrowed from people. And am sure those people collecting this kind of money, they would collect from hundreds of desperate applicants who need the job badly. I don’t really blame those applicants, bribing people or ogas at the top to get a job in their organization has become a norm in Nigeria. There are few jobs, limited vacancies and unlimited applicants and job seekers, so job seekers are ready to do anything to occupy that few space.

The Government needs to look into this issue, because I can spend years studying and after graduating from the university, someone will tell me to pay some amount of money just for me to render and an important service to him or his organization. Me and the Oga, who will pay, he/she is the one who will pay me for my services, not me paying for he/she to employ me; and this is getting out of hand, many Government organizations are extorting money from us young people, promising us jobs in their organizations, but yet only few applicants get the job. This is a message to the Government, to stop their agencies from extorting money from us before they give us job in their organizations.

http://www.hovabuzz.com/news/753-employment-in-nigeria-must-we-pay-huge-amount-of-money-as-applicants-before-we-are-employed-in-nigeria
Re: Paying Huge Amount Of Money As Applicants Before Getting A Job by Ikengawo: 4:06am On Jan 05, 2014
The guy that wrote this is an idiot. Nobody in Nigeria believes the government isn't corrupt. He is now in his young life trying to work for the government and complaining of corruption. is the government the only place someone can work?

(1) (Reply)

SHOCKING!!! See Why A Village In India Called For The R*pe Of A 14-year-old Girl / Sudanese Woman Who Was Sentenced To Death, Arrives Vatican;meets Pope! / Toward Moon Sighting NOT Moon Fighting.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.