Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,394 members, 7,819,410 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:50 PM

Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest (25927 Views)

Chinese Engineers Rebuild Sanyuan Bridge In Only 43 Hours / 3rd Lagos-Kano Train Service Flagged Off Yesterday / NRC Commences Third Weekly Lagos-kano Train Service (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by texazzpete(m): 11:22am On Jan 05, 2014
Vanguard has this excellent article

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/12/poor-services-cripple-intercity-rail-line/

BAsically, the Lagos - Kano journey by train is so terrible that passengers rarely go through the harrowing ordeal for a second time. Passenger numbers are declining steadily.

Seems the rail sector transformation still needs an immense amount of work on ground and not on pages of newspapers.

One year after its re-introduction, poor services have crippled the Lagos-Kano intercity rail line, with travel time worsening by 13 hours.
Investigations by Vanguard reveal that the intercity service, which was flagged off by the Minister of Transport, Senator Idris Umar in Lagos December, 2012, is still being bedeviled by the same problems of ticket touting, disorderliness and frequent breakdowns.
The reintroduction of the passenger service had attracted a surge in rail users within the southwestern-northern axis, which overwhelmed the resources and capacity of the railway management. Hence, overcrowding, technical failures and delays became the order of the day, with passengers demanding for more rolling stocks and improved quality of service.

Travel time worsens

When the service was reintroduced in December, 2012, the journey from Lagos to Kano took between 29 to 30 hours. By mid-March, it worsened to 34 hours, and further to 39 hours by the end of August. And by December, 2013, the journey time had increased to 43 hours. For example, the Lagos to Kano train that departed Lagos by 3: 00 pm on Friday, 20th of December, 2013, got to Kano by 10: 00 am on Sunday, December, 22nd.

Volume of passenger drops

As a result of these problems, passengers have started avoiding the intercity rail line service. Most passengers rarely patronise the service twice. This is reflected in the passenger volume per trip which dropped from 2000 in January to 1,000 by mid October. This trend was confirmed by the passenger volume on the Lagos to Kano service on Friday December 20th. The train took off with 700 passengers which filled only three of the eight coaches. Although the remaining coaches were later filled along the way, this was not the case from the beginning.
- See more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/12/poor-services-cripple-intercity-rail-line/#sthash.XriDa58s.dpuf
Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by Nobody: 11:23am On Jan 05, 2014
Only a person with death-wish will contemplate a train ride in Nigeria from Lagos-Kano.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by BishopJuice: 11:27am On Jan 05, 2014
ilugunboy: Only a person with death-wish will contemplate a train ride in Nigeria from Lagos-Kano.

only a person with ostrich mentality will neglect their own woes and pork-nose on issues remote from them.

11 Likes

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by Nobody: 11:28am On Jan 05, 2014
Bishop Juice:

only a person with ostrich mentality will neglect their own woes and pork-nose on issues remote from them.

Ogbeni....what are you ranting about.?

Please be civil.

11 Likes

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by BishopJuice: 11:35am On Jan 05, 2014
ilugunboy:

Ogbeni....what are you ranting about.?

Please be civil.

odenni, you know I am addressing your hypocrisy tongue

14 Likes

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by Garrithe1st: 11:39am On Jan 05, 2014
Fresh Air tins.....

lol

cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by slimthugchimee(m): 11:39am On Jan 05, 2014
ilugunboy: Only a person with death-wish will contemplate a train ride in Nigeria from Lagos-Kano.
railway might be slow in naija but its the safest form of transportation of human beings i have ever seen

5 Likes

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by Nobody: 11:48am On Jan 05, 2014
Bishop Juice:

odenni, you know I am addressing your hypocrisy tongue

Are you always this senseless....? undecided

14 Likes

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by Nobody: 11:48am On Jan 05, 2014
slimthugchimee: railway might be slow in naija but its the safest form of transportation of human beings i have ever seen

So...people die only by accident?

3 Likes

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by Nobody: 11:55am On Jan 05, 2014
So Vanguard has joined premium times and Sahara reporters in their gang up against GEJ shocked

Btw where is taharqa, rossike and sincere 9gerian? I have taken you guys to the cleaners on this locomotive nonsense, A waste of over 18 billion of tax payers money.

I hope gej would ride from Kano to lagos on his 2015 campaign tour.

17 Likes

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by Clerverly: 12:01pm On Jan 05, 2014
I blame the media for Jonathan's non performance tongue

7 Likes

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by unmask: 12:06pm On Jan 05, 2014
not bad at all.....
Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by slimthugchimee(m): 12:06pm On Jan 05, 2014
ilugunboy:

So...people die only by accident?
i mean only in railway transportion that there is the lowest accident in nigeria

1 Like

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by slimfit1(m): 12:11pm On Jan 05, 2014
This president and his ministers don't have anything to offer us but deceit. However, he happens to be a professor. I know a lot of secondary school holder that would come up with a better idea.

6 Likes

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by BishopJuice: 12:12pm On Jan 05, 2014
ilugunboy:

Are you always this senseless....? undecided

are you always this daft

8 Likes

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by Nobody: 12:15pm On Jan 05, 2014
slow poke president with slow poke trains grin

20 Likes

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by kel4soft: 12:16pm On Jan 05, 2014
Only a fool will use the transformation of Locomotive trains in the 21st century as an achievement. When countries have moved on or phased out that type of trains.

Now, rewind to Rivers State, a certain state Governor invested close to 12billion naira on revamping our train station in 2002 (Oyigbo - Station). That exercise didn't last upto 24 months. It was like money thrown inside an ocean.

If our govt is not ready to construct light rail, monorail, underground train etc. Then, they should forget disturbing my ears with rubbish locomotive trains that you can't maintain cos their parts aren't in the market.

24 Likes

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by BishopJuice: 12:20pm On Jan 05, 2014
Obiagelli: slow poke president with slow poke trains grin

Congrats! By acting so consistently ret@rded over such a long period of time you've ended up attracting all the niggaz from the internet who actually take your merchant insults seriously and think they're in good company.

5 Likes

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by Rad1cal: 12:23pm On Jan 05, 2014
kel4soft: Only a fool will use the transformation of Locomotive trains in the 21st century as an achievement. When countries have moved on or phased out that type of trains.

Now, rewind to Rivers State, a certain state Governor invested close to 12billion naira on revamping our train station in 2002 (Oyigbo - Station). That exercise didn't last upto 24 months. It was like money thrown inside an ocean.

If our govt is not ready to construct light rail, monorail, underground train etc. Then, they should forget disturbing my ears with rubbish locomotive trains that you can't maintain cos their parts aren't in the market.

You Amaechi worshipper, how much has Rotimi sunk into his monorail and what is the percentage of completion. ?

8 Likes

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by Nobody: 12:24pm On Jan 05, 2014
The rail transport sector was killed by past leaders, many of who are currently in APC. The govt of GEJ is trying to fix a rottened sector. Rail transport is now back. The propaganda is now is about poor services. That is not surprising because of the attitude of the average Nigerian to govt work. The challenge of poor services can be ameliorated by concessioning it to the private sector. QED

Sincere 9gerian:
** Poor services cripple intercity rail lineon December 30, 2013 at 12:17

•Travel time worsens by 13hrs

•Touting, disorderliness persist

BY JONAH NWOKPOKU
One year after its re-introduction, poor services have crippled the Lagos-Kano intercity rail line, with travel time worsening by 13 hours.

Investigations by Vanguard reveal that the intercity service, which was flagged off by the Minister of Transport, Senator Idris Umar in Lagos December, 2012, is still being bedeviled by the same problems of ticket touting, disorderliness and frequent breakdowns.

The reintroduction of the passenger service had attracted a surge in rail users within the southwestern-northern axis, which overwhelmed the resources and capacity of the railway management.
Hence, overcrowding, technical failures and delays became the order of the day, with passengers demanding for more rolling stocks and improved quality of service.

Travel time worsens
When the service was reintroduced in December, 2012, the journey from Lagos to Kano took between 29 to 30 hours. By mid-March, it worsened to 34 hours, and further to 39 hours by the end of August. And by December, 2013, the journey time had increased to 43 hours.
For example, the Lagos to Kano train that departed Lagos by 3: 00 pm on Friday, 20th of December, 2013, got to Kano by 10: 00 am on Sunday, December, 22nd.

Volume of passenger drops
As a result of these problems, passengers have started avoiding the intercity rail line service. Most passengers rarely patronise the service twice. This is reflected in the passenger volume per trip which dropped from 2000 in January to 1,000 by mid October. This trend was confirmed by the passenger volume on the Lagos to Kano service on Friday December 20th.
The train took off with 700 passengers which filled only three of the eight coaches. Although the remaining coaches were later filled along the way, this was not the case from the beginning.

Ticket touting and disorderliness persist
It would be recalled that in April, Vanguard reported the prevalence of touting and disorderliness in the ticket process. When Vanguard visited the departure lounge of the Iddo terminus on Friday, 20th December, 2013, the situation was still the same. The atmosphere was rowdy and disorderly. Most of the passengers were first timers, hence they were ignorant of the procedure for obtaining ticket. This was compounded by absence of instructions or signs on the procedure and departure time.

Most of the passengers started waiting from 10:00 am to obtain tickets but none was officially issued till about 11:30 am. When Vanguard sought to know the reason for the delay, one of the officials at the ticketing booth said that ticket sales don’t commence until there is confirmation that the train was ready to depart. The train was to depart by 12:00 pm. However, by 11:30 am, the station manager ordered that the tickets be sold and within 30 minutes all the passengers got their tickets and boarded the train.

But by 12:00 pm, the train did not move, and neither did it move by 1:00 pm or 2:00 pm. The train finally moved from Lagos by 3:00 pm. While the delay lasted, there was no official explanation or apologies. Some of the passengers had even lost hope of traveling that day. Vanguard’s attempt to find out the cause of the delay also proved abortive.

Passengers express disappointment
The passengers were frustrated and complained bitterly, many of them had had to have their lunch while those who are Muslims disembarked to observe the Friday Jumat service. One of the passengers, Kunle Wale was headed to Jebba with his brother Timothy. They were infuriated with the delay.

Timothy said, “We have not even moved and I am already regretting coming. When I came here to make inquiries on Wednesday, they told me to come very early because the train leaves by 12 o’clock. But look at the delay. There is nothing from government that is ever organised. I don’t even know what would bring me here again.” They got to Jebba by 9:00 am on Saturday.

After the train departed, Vanguard sought further to ascertain the cause of the delay. The Station Manager, who did not want his name mentioned, told Vanguard that it was as a result of unforeseen logistical challenges. According to him, “When we have logistical problems, we always experience this kind of delay. This is especially so if the logistical problem has to do with the braking power system. So it is better to delay than to hurry off and put people’s lives in danger.”

2 Likes

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by Nobody: 12:26pm On Jan 05, 2014
Sincere 9gerian: Earlier when Vanguard spoke to another passenger, Sam Enejor, a graduate of Economics who was headed to Kano, he said that he sensed that the train had technical challenges but it was wrong for the authorities to have waited till the day of departure before making frantic efforts to put the train in good condition. “This is business and if the authorities take their customers seriously, they should not waste all of their time”, he said.

Like many of the passengers, it was his first time on the intercity rail service. When Vanguard placed a call to him on Sunday, he bared his mind on the entire intercity rail business.

”This is bad business. The railway authority is subjecting people to untold hardship. Imagine spending 43 hours on the road! Within that period, I ate five times and if you add that money to the train fare, it would pay the bus fare that would take me to Kano in far less time. So there is no advantage. People are just suffering.

“Let government help the railway authorities make this business attractive for private investors to come in. Because it is only when that happens that we can begin to see the true economic potentials of the railway. At the moment, I don’t even advise any businessman to go and put his money there. This is not the way it ought to be. It is bad.”

NRC abandons passenger for haulage service
To curtail overcrowding in the intercity operations, the railway authorities refurbished more rolling stocks and injected them into the intercity train service but at the moment, that does not appear to yield meaningful result as passengers for whom the Offa/Ilorin train were dedicated to are few and the authority cannot bear the enormous cost of maintaining the line. So they have been reverted to the Kano route.

Shortly after the rehabilitation of the intercity train service, the Federal government invested additional N3 billion to rehabilitate the freight train service, including the acquisition of the rail telescopic crane to evacuate accidented trains from the tracks. The authorities have also gone ahead to launch the container freight service and container haulage has begun to move from Apapa port to the northern part of the country.

Petroleum tanker wagons have also been acquired and thousands of litres of petroleum products are currently being moved from Lagos to Kano every week.

But analyst argue that though the haulage services are important, it would have served a better purpose if the authorities had dedicated those resources to making the passenger rail service more effective.

Vanguard, however, gathered that while the NRC dreams of efficient passenger service, it also needs to resuscitate those haulage services in order to boost its operational revenue because the fund generated from the passenger service is barely able to maintain its operations.

Mr. David Ndakotsu, Assistant Director, Public Relations NRC told Vanguard that the passenger train service is almost like a charity. “The cost of buying diesel alone is so high that the railway cannot hope for much revenue accruing from the passenger train. That is why we are trying to diversify to the haulage services, in order to generate more income for the railway’s operations”, he said.

Asked how much the haulage services generate per week as against the passengers’, he said he could not disclose that. But an NRC official who preferred anonymity told Vanguard that the wheat traffic alone generates about N25 million per week compared to the paltry N4 million generated by the passenger train service.

NRC assures of improved passenger service
When contacted on the declining state of the passenger service, Ndanusa said that the authorities are aware and that efforts are being made to address all challenges. He said that the authorities are re-strategising for effective service delivery and that a 2014 Strategic Directions for the Nigerian Railway Corporation has been adopted with emphasis on Journey time capability, train service availability, amicable, punctuality and safety.

This, he said, was the outcome of a four-day senior management retreat with the theme ‘NRC back on track: Sustaining the Drive” recently organized for management and senior officers of the Corporation in Osogbo.

According to him, “The objectives of the strategic direction are to achieve 30 per cent reduction in the journey time for the intercity train services, 10 per cent monthly reduction in the frequency and extent of train delays, 25 per cent monthly reduction on customer complaints, not more than 10 minutes delay in scheduled departure time and 25 per cent monthly reduction in the number of accidents.”
The OP mischievously omitted the rest of the article. He chose only the part that serves the interest of Tinubu and APC. I have produced the whole article for the records.

13 Likes

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by Nobody: 12:30pm On Jan 05, 2014
Bishop Juice:

Congrats! By acting so consistently ret@rded over such a long period of time you've ended up attracting all the niggaz from the internet who actually take your merchant insults seriously and think they're in good company.
I am tempted to say Go and Die, unfortunately I don't do insults.

1 Like

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by hardywaltz(m): 12:32pm On Jan 05, 2014
When people talk about the trains running again with joy. I look @ them with pity coz I doubt if they know what a train in modern world is.
GEJ just succeed in wasting a golden opportunity of totally revamping the rail sector and moving us to 21century rail transportation like the rest of the world rather than rehabilitating what the British constructed close to a 100years ago when time and speed was not an issue.
The Zaria - Funtua - Kuara - Kuara Namoda 221km western rail line which I was involved in, I was so pissed that so much billions was been spent to rehabilitate a rail line where the Locomotive that will run on it will only be able to achieve 35km/h max speed (for it to achieve the said 35km/h the train needs to run on a straight course for @ least 10mins which is not usually possible); so for a 221km journey on train will take about 10-12hrs including stops @ Funtua and Gusua stations.
What really broke my heart was when I found out that we couldn't even procure brand new locomotives to run on the line from any where in world so we had to open up talks with a company in Lithonia (or something like that) that had recently over hauled their transportation system and was willing to sell their scrapped locomotive to us (I wonder how they will view Nigeria - the giANT of Africa).
The reason I dislike our politician and the praise singers is that they don't ever think or see far ahead. GEJ is only wasting this billions for a few weeks of applause rather than implement a comprehensive blue print that will make the rail transportation comparable to air or land transportation.
I know Jonathenains are easily impressed by any thing they see so to them I know this is large scale development.

41 Likes

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by kokoA(m): 12:33pm On Jan 05, 2014
Even if na curse sef.. I no fit enter locomotive from kano to lagos. Ah! For what naw?

1 Like

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by texazzpete(m): 12:35pm On Jan 05, 2014
I didn't post this to ridicule GEJ...I expect him to see this as a wake up call, if he does read the Vanguard article.

Our leaders are too complacent. The current status quo isn't good enough. It's time to stop trumpeting a transformation in the rail sector until the major issues have been worked out.

43 hours is just too long. The touts at the terminals should be crushed without delay. Stop talking about providing jobs and hire more engineers and technicians to keep the trains running like clockwork.

Above all, let's stop pressing these ancient Locomotives into service and embrace modernization in the sector.

10 Likes

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by Nobody: 12:38pm On Jan 05, 2014
hardywaltz: When people talk about the trains running again with joy. I look @ them with pity coz I doubt if they know what a train in modern world is.
GEJ just succeed in wasting a golden opportunity of totally revamping the rail sector and moving us to 21century rail transportation like the rest of the world rather than rehabilitating what the British constructed close to a 100years ago when time and speed was not an issue.
The Zaria - Funtua - Kuara - Kuara Namoda 221km western rail line which I was involved in, I was so pissed that so much billions was been spent to rehabilitate a rail line where the Locomotive that will run on it will only be able to achieve 35km/h max speed (for it to achieve the said 35km/h the train needs to run on a straight course for @ least 10mins which is not usually possible); so for a 221km journey on train will take about 10-12hrs including stops @ Funtua and Gusua stations.
What really broke my heart was when I found out that we couldn't even procure brand new locomotives to run on the line from any where in world so we had to open up talks with a company in Lithonia (or something like that) that had recently over hauled their transportation system and was willing to sell their scrapped locomotive to us (I wonder how they will view Nigeria - the giANT of Africa).
The recent I dislike our politician and the praise singers is that they don't ever think or see far ahead. GEJ is only wasting this billions for a few weeks of applause rather than implement a comprehensive blue print that will make the rail transportation comparable to air or land transportation.
I know Jonathenains are easily impressed by any thing they see so to them I know this is large scale development.
this has always been my argument, GEJ is only interested in easy campaign tools.

5 Likes

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by awodman: 12:44pm On Jan 05, 2014
This one of the reasons FG should waste no further time in presenting the Railway reform bill(that will repeal the 1960 railway code) to NASS...as long as a govt Managed NRC is still in charge of NRC,this problems will continue to crop up ...pass that damn railway bill and allow private sector players come in...

Meanwhile its good they are transferring focus to Freight Services...that's the way to go...but pls NRC management in the mean time pls address all these issues raised by Vanguard

5 Likes

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by kel4soft: 12:48pm On Jan 05, 2014
Rad1cal:

You Amaechi worshipper, how much has Rotimi sunk into his monorail and what is the percentage of completion. ?

Is only an idiot like you who doesn't know Monorail is an expensive project that should be done with Private partnership. Whereas Amaechi is solely constructing monorail with state funds. Whether it takes till 2015 to complete that section, It is worth waiting for than to sink money on locomotive trains you can't even patronise.
Countries with fast speed trains didn't achieve that feature in 6years despite partnership from private firm. Infact, I better worship Amaechi than your clueless Boss.

7 Likes

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by Nobody: 12:53pm On Jan 05, 2014
Rail transport was killed by past leaders but it has now been revived. Yes, there are challenges of poor services but the railway authority is taking measures to ameliorate it as stated in the same report. On the long run, govt should concession it to the private sector for more efficient management. Like PHCN, like NRC

Sincere 9gerian: ** NRC assures of improved passenger service

When contacted on the declining state of the passenger service, Ndanusa said that the authorities are aware and that efforts are being made to address all challenges. He said that the authorities are re-strategising for effective service delivery and that a 2014 Strategic Directions for the Nigerian Railway Corporation has been adopted with emphasis on Journey time capability, train service availability, amicable, punctuality and safety.

This, he said, was the outcome of a four-day senior management retreat with the theme ‘NRC back on track: Sustaining the Drive” recently organized for management and senior officers of the Corporation in Osogbo.

According to him, “The objectives of the strategic direction are to achieve 30 per cent reduction in the journey time for the intercity train services, 10 per cent monthly reduction in the frequency and extent of train delays, 25 per cent monthly reduction on customer complaints, not more than 10 minutes delay in scheduled departure time and 25 per cent monthly reduction in the number of accidents.”
Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by awodman: 12:58pm On Jan 05, 2014
kel4soft:

Is only an idiot like you who doesn't know Monorail is an expensive project that should be done with Private partnership. Whereas Amaechi is solely constructing monorail with state funds. Whether it takes till 2015 to complete that section, It is worth waiting for than to sink money on locomotive trains you can't even patronise.
Countries with fast speed trains didn't achieve that feature in 6years despite partnership from private firm. Infact, I better worship Amaechi than your clueless Boss.
Nonsense...after over 8 years and your Amaechi's monorail has not crossed Mile 1 and you are telling me its worth waiting for...like seriously?

Meanwhile who told you that Amaechi is solely using state funds for the monorail?

2 Likes

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by Nobody: 1:00pm On Jan 05, 2014
Another recent report on the Lagos-Kano railway by Reuters. Tinubu dogs will definitely hate to read this version.

Sincere 9gerian: 28 August 2013

Reuters/Akintunde Akinleye

Travelling by train was millions of Nigerians preferred means of transport at the time of the country’s independence in 1960. But mismanagement by the Nigerian Railway Corporation meant that all of the country’s colonial-era trains ground to a halt within 30 years. A project to restore Nigeria's rail system was launched a decade ago and the Lagos-Kano line recently reopened.

By Sam Olukoya in Lagos

The Lagos train terminus is crowded with passengers as the orange train prepares to make the 1,126-kilometre journey to Kano.

With a combined population of over 30 million people, these two metropoles need to be connected today even more than they did in colonial times.

"That has been the premier flagship train line operations in Nigeria, from Lagos to Kano. It predates others, says Ndanusa Ndakotsu, assistant director public relations of the Nigerian Railway Corporation. "The colonial administration used it to bring produce from the hinterland, Kano. You remember the groundnuts, hides and skin, they were transported down to the Apapa port using the rail track, that was why it has still been the priority route up till today."

The Lagos-Kano train service is also gradually regaining its former reputation as the best way to get from south-western Nigeria to the north of the country.

Tayo Babatunde is one of those happy to travel by train.

"The reason why I prefer train is because of the roads," he says. "We have bad roads for vehicles except if somebody does not feel concern about his car. I cherish my car more than any other thing that is why I board the train."

A combination of pot-holed roads, poorly maintained vehicles and questionable driving habits have transformed Nigerian roads into death traps.

Although official statistics put the number of people killed annually on Nigerian roads at 4,500, it is believed that the actual figure is much higher. All this makes train travel a much safer option for the majority of Nigerians, who can’t afford to take intercity flights.

From one station to another there is a struggle to board the train even before it comes to a halt. With demand far outstripping supply, the coaches filled to the brim. Many passengers have to stand because there are not enough seats. this is a negative side of train travel in Nigeria:

"The disadvantage is about the rowdiness of the passengers," says Joseph Olalekan. "There is no limitation in accommodating the passengers into the coaches. According to these seaters now, it has a number, but there is no limitation to it."

The Nigerian Railway Corporation, however, is optimistic that all shortcomings will be addressed by the ongoing rehabilitation programme

http://mobile.english.rfi.fr/africa/20130828-nigeria-lagos-kano-rail-line-keeps-death-off-roads
Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by hardywaltz(m): 1:01pm On Jan 05, 2014
Sincere 9gerian: Rail transport was killed by past leaders but it has now been revived. Yes, there are challenges of poor services but the railway authority is taking measures to ameliorate it as stated in the same report. On the long run, govt should concession it to the private sector for more efficient management. Like PHCN, like NRC

I can't ever remember Yar'dua or his supporters ever blaming past administration for anything.

20 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Arms Contract Scandal: Senator Saraki Blackmailed CBN Officials To Pay N250M / Bayelsa Youths Arrest Agip Pipeline Bombers / Hon Bello Mutari Shares Over 2,000 Mobile Phones In Kogi (VIDEO)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.