Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,783 members, 7,813,587 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:33 PM

Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest (25912 Views)

Chinese Engineers Rebuild Sanyuan Bridge In Only 43 Hours / 3rd Lagos-Kano Train Service Flagged Off Yesterday / NRC Commences Third Weekly Lagos-kano Train Service (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by coalcoal1(m): 1:03pm On Jan 05, 2014
I look forward to traveling by rail someday. but I no get liver for long journey o. I guess Lagos to Abeokuta will do
Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by Nobody: 1:04pm On Jan 05, 2014
Sincere 9gerian: Mr. David Ndakotsu, Assistant Director, Public Relations NRC told Vanguard that the passenger train service is almost like a charity. “The cost of buying diesel alone is so high that the railway cannot hope for much revenue accruing from the passenger train. That is why we are trying to diversify to the haulage services, in order to generate more income for the railway’s operations”, he said.

Asked how much the haulage services generate per week as against the passengers’, he said he could not disclose that. But an NRC official who preferred anonymity told Vanguard that the wheat traffic alone generates about N25 million per week compared to the paltry N4 million generated by the passenger train service
This is part of the problem. But govt has to continue the subsidy until it is concessioned to the private sector. With the private sector, passengers will definitely have to pay more. But if paying more will guarantee better services, I'm sure passengers wouldn't mind.

1 Like

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by kel4soft: 1:07pm On Jan 05, 2014
awodman:
Nonsense...after over 8 years and your Amaechi's monorail has not crossed Mile 1 and you are telling me its worth waiting for...like seriously?

Meanwhile who told you that Amaechi is solely using state funds for the monorail?

Amaechi solely funding the project cos the private partners pulled out citing financial meltdown. Since then, the state has been battling to finish the project alone.

Monorail started 2009 not up to 5 years Mr. And beside, do you know the cost of that project?

Please read www.nigeriaintel.com/2014/01/02/monarch-betrayed-rivers-on-oil-well-says-amaechi/

'Amaechi also described the monorail in Port
Harcourt as a noble project, stressing that in
Nigeria, Rivers was the only state that was using its own funds to construct a monorail, noting that the Lagos light train was being funded by the World Bank, but the Rivers government was using its funds to pursue the monorail project.
The NGF chairman described the monorail as a
brand new technology, stressing that there was nowhere in the world that the monorail was more than 16 kilometres, stating that the Port Harcourt’s monorail was nearing completion, with the incoming government to take it to the end of Aba Road.'

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by Nobody: 1:07pm On Jan 05, 2014
Now this is one of the best news of the year 2013. Commencement of haulage services by train will take alot of pressure off our roads and bring down the cost of running businesses.

Sincere 9gerian: Shortly after the rehabilitation of the intercity train service, the Federal government invested additional N3 billion to rehabilitate the freight train service, including the acquisition of the rail telescopic crane to evacuate accidented trains from the tracks.
The authorities have also gone ahead to launch the container freight service and container haulage has begun to move from Apapa port to the northern part of the country.

Petroleum tanker wagons have also been acquired and thousands of litres of petroleum products are currently being moved from Lagos to Kano every week
Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by emiye(m): 1:08pm On Jan 05, 2014
I will continue to say, no human being deserves to stay in those train for 40 hours plus, the health hazards are catastrophic. Government should focus on using those trains to transfer cargoes. That remains the only good news the locomotive train revitalisation can bring.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by Nobody: 1:11pm On Jan 05, 2014
None of the APC e-rats have complained about the change of the topic by the OP. Even OAM4J seems to be enjoying the mutilated topic. I hope he doesn't come after me with Tinubu's sledge hammer when I do the same.
Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by Rad1cal: 1:20pm On Jan 05, 2014
kel4soft:

Is only an idiot like you who doesn't know Monorail is an expensive project that should be done with Private partnership. Whereas Amaechi is solely constructing monorail with state funds. Whether it takes till 2015 to complete that section, It is worth waiting for than to sink money on locomotive trains you can't even patronise.
Countries with fast speed trains didn't achieve that feature in 6years despite partnership from private firm. Infact, I better worship Amaechi than your clueless Boss.

You should stop yawning dust. Rotimi left the most important need of an adequate pipe borne water to engage in a white elephant project for the past 5 years.

In your twisted logic, it is right to waste the populace time in an unachievable project than provide for their basic need of a portable drinking water.

You are a very dull sycophant .

1 Like

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by UyiIredia(m): 1:30pm On Jan 05, 2014
ilugunboy:

Ogbeni....what are you ranting about.?

Please be civil.

Save your admonition.
Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by Nobody: 1:34pm On Jan 05, 2014
kel4soft:

Is only an idiot like you who doesn't know Monorail is an expensive project that should be done with Private partnership. Whereas Amaechi is solely constructing monorail with state funds. Whether it takes till 2015 to complete that section, It is worth waiting for than to sink money on locomotive trains you can't even patronise.
Countries with fast speed trains didn't achieve that feature in 6years despite partnership from private firm. Infact, I better worship Amaechi than your clueless Boss.
So you prefer a project that is not anywhere near half-way completed by a governor that has spent over 6 years in office to one that is already providing services (moving passengers and goods)? Just because NRC is having challenges of poor services? Do you know when the Rivers Mono rail will be completed? Even when completed, do you know how it operate (cost, etc)? Can you swear that it will not encounter the same challenges reported on this thread?

Haven't you heard of the saying that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush? Does it mean anything to you?

And from all indications, the Amaechi govt cannot complete the project and there is no guarantee that his successor will continue with the it.

The APC/ACN led govt has also not been able to complete the Lagos light rail project started by Jakande in the 80s. This is a party that has ruled Lagos for 15 years.

Meanwhile, the challenges highlighted in this report are surmountable. The problem is the negative attitude of the average Nigerian, including you, to govt property or work.

1 Like

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by UyiIredia(m): 1:46pm On Jan 05, 2014
^^^That negativity is justified given that the Nigerian govt. has a track record, quite unparalleled, in waste of funds, inefficent job or maintenance and poor transparency/awareness.

1 Like

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by DahomeyAmazon(f): 1:48pm On Jan 05, 2014
Sincere 9gerian: None of the APC e-rats have complained about the change of the topic by the OP. Even OAM4J seems to be enjoying the mutilated topic. I hope he doesn't come after me with Tinubu's sledge hammer when I do the same.
Frustrated?

2 Likes

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by Nobody: 1:51pm On Jan 05, 2014
Uyi Iredia: ^^^That negativity is justified given that the Nigerian govt. has a track record, quite unparalleled, in waste of funds, inefficent job or maintenance and poor transparency/awareness.
Are you joking? You mean peoples poor attitude to their work is justified because of govt bla, bla, bla? So who is the govt? You need serious help.
Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by Nobody: 1:54pm On Jan 05, 2014
Sincere 9gerian: None of the APC e-rats have complained about the change of the topic by the OP. Even OAM4J seems to be enjoying the mutilated topic. I hope he doesn't come after me with Tinubu's sledge hammer when I do the same.
why the apologetic rants? Have you also lost confidence in your locomotive trains?

3 Likes

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by Rad1cal: 1:55pm On Jan 05, 2014
Sincere 9gerian:
So you prefer a project that is not anywhere near half-way completed by a governor that has spent over 6 years in office to one that is already providing services (moving passengers and goods)? Just because NRC is having challenges of poor services? Do you know when the Rivers Mono rail will be completed? Even when completed, do you know how it operate (cost, etc)? Can you swear that it will not encounter the same challenges reported on this thread?

Haven't you heard of the saying that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush? Does it mean anything to you?

And from all indications, the Amaechi govt cannot complete the project and there is no guarantee that his successor will continue with the it.

The APC/ACN led govt has also not been able to complete the Lagos light rail project started by Jakande in the 80s. This is a party that has ruled Lagos for 15 years.

Meanwhile, the challenges highlighted in this report are surmountable. The problem is the negative attitude of the average Nigerian, including you, to govt property or work.

A critical look at that dullard you replied reveals he is becoming a disappointing liar.
Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by Nobody: 2:01pm On Jan 05, 2014
Uyi Iredia:

Save your admonition.

grin grin

So you are waiting to hit back?
Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by DerideGull(m): 2:06pm On Jan 05, 2014
@OP

Most typical Nigerians have reduced them selves to perennial laughing stocks. How could a person possibly think of leaping into the 21st century when he/she has not touched down on 19th century? Nigerian society is an uneducated consumer type and infinitely unaware of its surroundings. It can not produce a rope to hang itself yet it wants to walk on the moon.

In addition, Nigerian society lacks basics required to be production-oriented society. If the Nigeria can not manage simple locomotive train services which require few mechanical drills and large quantity of diesel fuel, how could it manage the complexity involved in electricity and other requirements needed in monorail services? Nigerians are really funny bunch.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by ba7man(m): 2:11pm On Jan 05, 2014
Sincere 9gerian:

Stop repeating this your lie of Jakande starting the light Rail project.

You're trying to make it appear as if the project has been on for 31yrs.

The problem is the half-baked idea of refurbishing Locomotives and branding it as "Railway Transformation".

And I'm sure people will be shocked at the amount spent to arrive at trains that move so slowly and breakdown.

As usual, Good Idea, half-baked implimentation advertised as "Transformation".

2 Likes

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by UyiIredia(m): 2:11pm On Jan 05, 2014
Sincere 9gerian:
Are you joking? You mean peoples poor attitude to their work is justified because of govt bla, bla, bla? So who is the govt? You need serious help.

Goot ! Goot !

As long as you've IMPLIED it's people in governance with a poor attitude to work I'm cool. That's why legislators are paid hundreds of thousands if not more on paid leave in a country where the concept is almost foreign.

A person who will never conquer a problem she doesn't admit. Dey dere !
Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by awodman: 2:18pm On Jan 05, 2014
ba7man: Stop repeating this your lie of Jakande starting the light Rail project.

The problem is the half-baked idea of refurbishing Locomotives and branding it as "Railway Transformation".

And I'm sure people will be shocked at the amount spent to arrive at trains that move so slowly and breakdown.

If Jakande didn't start Lagos light rail then who did?

If the project has not lasted for 31years...then how long has it lasted?
Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by ba7man(m): 2:18pm On Jan 05, 2014
DerideGull: @OP

Most typical Nigerians have reduced them selves to perennial laughing stocks. How could a person possibly think of leaping into the 21st century when he/she has not touched down on 19th century? Nigerian society is an uneducated consumer type and infinitely unaware of its surroundings. It can not produce a rope to hang itself yet it wants to walk on the moon.

In addition, Nigerian society lacks basics required to be production-oriented society. If the Nigeria can not manage simple locative train services which require few mechanical drills and large quantity of diesel fuel, how could it manage the complexity involved in electricity and other requirements involved in monorail services? Nigerians are really funny bunch.

Maybe you should observe how the U.A.E was able to transform itself in so little time.

All it takes is 1 inspirational leader.

1 Like

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by UyiIredia(m): 2:21pm On Jan 05, 2014
DerideGull: @OP

In addition, Nigerian society lacks basics required to be production-oriented society. If the Nigeria can not manage simple locative train services which require few mechanical drills and large quantity of diesel fuel, how could it manage the complexity involved in electricity and other requirements involved in monorail services? Nigerians are really funny bunch.

Gbam ! Gbam ! On point. Though your classification is simple. It has an educated consumer class too. And believe it or not an uneducated producers who live or come from villages to provide actual labor, some sustaining technical skills which won't be otherwise available (eg dyeing of fabrics, farming, wine tapping). I live in a nation that prides itself on a satellite it lacks the technical capacity (or harnessing the few available) to launch whilst it can't make most of its foods.

One must understand my context. Reading of a Senkara whilst reading Walter Rodney's opus ain't making me hail the crumbs Nigerians are celebrating.
Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by UyiIredia(m): 2:24pm On Jan 05, 2014
ba7man: Stop repeating this your lie of Jakande starting the light Rail project.

I see it as tushing up a deformity. If Nigerian technicians pulled it off that would have been better news since technical skill is available. My guess is it's the usual foreign contractors who (or whose bosses) get the most of the billions.
Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by juman(m): 2:27pm On Jan 05, 2014
How many years would it take government to put the rail system in order?
Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by juman(m): 2:28pm On Jan 05, 2014
The government is confused and not serious.
Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by Garrithe1st: 2:33pm On Jan 05, 2014
ba7man: Maybe you should observe how the U.A.E was able to transform itself in so little time.

All it takes is 1 inspirational leader..... sadly GEJ isn't fit to wear that shoe.

Properly fixed... lol

cheesy
Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by Nobody: 2:35pm On Jan 05, 2014
juman: How many years would it take government to put the rail system in order?

Eternity
Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by ba7man(m): 2:37pm On Jan 05, 2014
Garri the 1st:

Properly fixed... lol

cheesy
Are u aware that you're no 18 on G.E.J's hit list??
Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by Garrithe1st: 2:39pm On Jan 05, 2014
ba7man: Are u aware that you're no 18 on G.E.J's hit list??

grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by Horus(m): 2:54pm On Jan 05, 2014
43 Hours Journey inside a train without taking a shower shocked
Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by Nobody: 3:03pm On Jan 05, 2014
The Lagos BRT transport system is decaying. So says the same Vanguard

Sincere 9gerian: ** These ugly Lagos BRT buses

on June 12, 2013 at 12:34 am in Talking

By Rotimi Fasan
MERE five years separate 2008 from 2013 and that could seem a long time. In the life of a transport system that is meant to cater for millions of commuters weekly if not daily, five years is quite short.

But that is for how long the Bus Rapid Transit has existed in Lagos and it’s already looking like what should be a marathon race is fast turning into a very short sprint given how the management of the BRT system appears to have deteriorated in just five years.

Perhaps long used to very terrible transport system and the regular sight of the BRT buses, Lagosians cannot easily notice the very poor state of many of the buses. I
t, however, takes a visitor to the State or someone who has been away from the city for a while to see the rising problem of the BRT system in Lagos. This was my experience recently after a short absence from Lagos.

The sight of the BRT buses I saw was, to put it mildly, shocking. Yet this couldn’t have been the intention of the Lagos State government when the BRT buses were introduced five years ago.

Many applauded the foresight that gave birth to the system that was in a sense meant to gradually phase out the molue on Lagos roads and bring sanity to mass transportation.

While many may still go around Lagos on the BRT lines I doubt if the experience is now any different from riding in the battered molue that are still to be seen in Lagos. If anything, the deteriorated state of the BRT buses has certainly increased the number ofmolue-cadre buses in the state even if most of them are now in the blue or red colours of the BRT buses.

When the BRT buses began operation in 2008 Nigerians in Lagos had no doubt that the Fashola administration had found what seemed then a decent way to temporarily address the problem of mass transportation in Lagos. The BRT system could only be a temporary solution in the face of the increasing population of Lagos.

There is no way a government could seriously believe that the provision of thousands of buses could take care of the transportation needs of millions of people that daily commute in and around Lagos. This was the problem the metroline project that has remained a pipe dream in more than three decades was meant to address.

But the politics surrounding the actualisation of this project has proven more potent than the desire of those that should make the dream a reality.

This was the context in which the BRT system looked like a decent but temporary way to take care of the transport needs of Lagos. But the stopgap nature of the BRT measure is now clear in the deplorable state of the entire system which is visible in the rundown look of the majority of the BRT buses.

Five years ago anyone could move around in Lagos in the BRT buses except those who perceive themselves too wealthy to share in any form of mass transit system.

The buses were clean both inside and outside. The seats might look hard but they were decent enough and commuters could expect a ride in one without the aggravation associated with commuting in amolueordanfo. Middle class workers- bankers, teachers, civil servants etc, could be seen in their ties and jackets in these buses.

There were neither itinerant preachers nor food or drug vendors to bother passengers. The buses were not littered with waste or remains of stale foods and snacks nor were 49-sitting and 99-standing people, ‘shuffering-and-smiling’ Fela-style, crammed together like sardines in the buses.

The drivers and conductors were courteous and went about their duty with dignity. Indeed some of the buses were air-conditioned and you could expect a decent ride in relative comfort.

This is a far cry from the dingy BRT buses one sees in Lagos today. The buses look very dirty both inside and outside. The internal walls look grimy and coated in dark colours that are in fact accumulated dirt that has caked over time.

With the constant battles reported between passengers and conductors and/or drivers of the buses and other road users, there is no doubt thatarea boys, even if only in attitude and mentality, had eased off the touted OND/HND and degree holders that were initially recruited to drive and conduct the buses. The buses are extremely dirty from the outside with many of them parading torn and jagged panels that are a clear danger to the clothes and bodies of passengers and other commuters

1 Like

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by jamace(m): 3:04pm On Jan 05, 2014
Humanbeings sef. When you do nothing, they complain that you are not doing anything. When you do something, they complain that you did not do it well.

Well, I must say that Jonathan is doing something. He is not like those who came and scooped our money to their satisfaction without doing anything. Reviving a rotten system is not as easy as typing criticism on computer. We must start from somewhere and I am happy Jonathan has taken the step in the right direction. I wish him the courage to surmount the rot left behind for him by past leaders.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest by Garrithe1st: 3:05pm On Jan 05, 2014
Sincere 9gerian: The Lagos BRT transport system is decaying. So says the same Vanguard

Nwokem how work na??

cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Apc Group, Pdp, Sdp, Obasanjo’s Cnm, Others To Form New Party / Alaafin On End SARS: Buhari’s Failure To Address Protesters Led To Loss Of Lives / Arms Contract Scandal: Senator Saraki Blackmailed CBN Officials To Pay N250M

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.