Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,036 members, 7,818,059 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:15 AM

How To Setup An Online Business In 2014 - What Are You Good At? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How To Setup An Online Business In 2014 - What Are You Good At? (828 Views)

Online Business: Do People Really Sell Online In Nigeria? / How To Setup An Online Business In 2014 - INTRODUCTION / How To Setup A Money-Lending Firm In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Setup An Online Business In 2014 - What Are You Good At? by ludot(m): 8:30pm On Jan 05, 2014
Previous post on how to setup an online business in 2014 at https://www.nairaland.com/1580736/how-setup-online-business-2014

What Are You Good At?

The question, 'what business should I do online' seems to be a common one. My best answer to that is, 'IT IS IN YOU'. Which means that the best ideas that you can generate are found in what skills, passion and interests that you already have.

You owe it to yourself and your customers to build your business around your skills and interests. By working out what these are, you can both eliminate ideas that fall outside that list and use it as a springboard for generating ideas.

The best formula for failure is 'to start a business around something you do not have interest in or knowledge of'

Skills Every Business Owner Needs

According to Michael Gerber, author of the E-Myth series, businesses are built on three roles. In the case of a small business like yours these three roles might be fulfilled by a single person.

1. The entrepreneur - he/she is the idea generator. An entrepreneur needs to be creative, innovative and on the lookout for opportunities at all times.

2. The manager - he/she is the organizer. The manager needs administrative, organisational, marketing and communication skills.

3. The technician - he/she is the executioner. The entrepreneur thinks up the idea; the manager sets objectives and put resources in place to achieve the objectives; the technician builds the product.

All these roles work hand-in-hand and like I said, it might be fulfilled by just one person. These are the roles I am currently fulfilling in running my website, www.see-my-life.com . For your business to be successful, you need a right balance of these three roles.

Action Steps to Take Away

1. List your current skills and interests
2. Which of the skills within the above roles do you have at present
3. Which are you prepared to learn
4. Which do you have no interest in

TIP: Some of the best online businesses are partnerships between individuals with different skill sets.

Next post - Define Your Business is at https://www.nairaland.com/1584674/how-setup-online-business-2014#20742632

(1) (Reply)

Diamond Bank Emerges Best Customer Service ICT Bank / Jumia Fighting For Market Share With A Smaller Ecommerce Store / Are You Looking For A People Business?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.