Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,312 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:41 AM

How To Setup A Money-Lending Firm In Nigeria? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How To Setup A Money-Lending Firm In Nigeria? (35023 Views)

CBN Reduces Lending Rate To 11 Percent / Cash Shortage Hits Banks, Overnight Lending Rate Jumps / CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Setup A Money-Lending Firm In Nigeria? by lanredo1(m): 1:47pm On May 17, 2012
To all the experienced Banker in the house and Lawyers your advice is highly needed.
We are interested to start a money lending firm our services shall encompass giving financial services to some targeted customers.
We understand that this class of people find it difficult to get soft short terms loans from the so call Banks in Nigeria.

Please in the house, our research made us to understand that we will need to get licence and other necessarry permit to start operation.
1. How do we get a money lending permit.
2. We need a standard blueprint of money lending operational manual from an experience Banker
3. The necessary forms and account keeping technique required for a money lending firm.
4. This go to Computer Engineer, basic computing system that go along with a money lending firm.

Please anybody with tangible information? Thank you God bless you.
Re: How To Setup A Money-Lending Firm In Nigeria? by nahinbdis: 5:33pm On May 17, 2012
I am a lawyer and a banker with one of the foriegn banks in Nigeria.

You are going into something that is technical and you obviously need someone to hold your hand and help you setup.

If you are willing to pay for quality information and mentoring, I can step in for you as this involves giving you quality time and mentoring for at least 6months as you will need skills such as Credit appraisal and analysis, credit administration, collateral management, loan recovery, etc.

1 Like

Re: How To Setup A Money-Lending Firm In Nigeria? by lanredo1(m): 11:09pm On May 17, 2012
Thank you for your response. I have little experience in Banking, like 2yrs but with a community bank very lo time ago, I've little experience too in finance, revenue generation, consultancy etc. with some ability to keep financial/accounting records manually. And I'm a very good marketer apart from having HND in Banking & Finance with small proffessional exams CIBN PE II. With these small knowledge I'm sure with mannual I can float on the water!
So sir you can give me the basis.
Re: How To Setup A Money-Lending Firm In Nigeria? by Tcrack(m): 4:24am On May 18, 2012
are you serious at all? you want to lend money to nigerians. you will never get your money back.if you talk about project financing, that it understandable. but lening money. ol boy, you had better looked for a different line of business.
Re: How To Setup A Money-Lending Firm In Nigeria? by raycomray: 4:58am On May 18, 2012
Money lending is a lucrative business in Delta State where I do part of my business. Money lenders here own a lot of landed property and other assets. But, they are generally viewed as Shylock business men. I was told that you dont need professional accounting or managerial skills. You only need a powerful JUJU/WITCH DOCTOR as your mentor or "Special Personal Assistant"-otherwise people you lend money to can "delete" you anytime. grin grin grin

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Setup A Money-Lending Firm In Nigeria? by moderattor: 5:11am On May 18, 2012
i heard nigerians are like ghosts
lend little money - they worry you before pay back.
Lend big money - you worry them till they dissapear before your very eyes smiley

1 Like

Re: How To Setup A Money-Lending Firm In Nigeria? by moderattor: 5:14am On May 18, 2012
@OP hope you are doing it for charity and not expecting the money back?
Except for charity too of course smiley
Re: How To Setup A Money-Lending Firm In Nigeria? by Businesstools(m): 5:44am On May 18, 2012
At Businesstools,we have developed an actionable Business Profitability Improvement Plan that can be implemented by every small and medium business to reduce costs,beat competitors,attract more customers,increase sales and profit.For enquiries,call Patrick on: 07030949450.
Re: How To Setup A Money-Lending Firm In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:17am On May 18, 2012
raycomray: Money lending is a lucrative business in Delta State where I do part of my business. Money lenders here own a lot of landed property and other assets. But, they are generally viewed as Shylock business men. I was told that you dont need professional accounting or managerial skills. You only need a powerful JUJU/WITCH DOCTOR as your mentor or "Special Personal Assistant"-otherwise people you lend money to can "delete" you anytime. grin grin grin

LOL...they are in developed countries as well, they are called loan sharks - unsecured lending and their APR on loans is in the 2000's. They lend money to people with bad credit history. It's gonna be worse in naija.
Re: How To Setup A Money-Lending Firm In Nigeria? by bran1: 6:46am On May 18, 2012
[quote author=-lanredo]To all the experienced Banker in the house and Lawyers your advice is highly needed.
We are interested to start a money lending firm our services shall encompass giving financial services to some targeted customers.
We understand that this class of people find it difficult to get soft short terms loans from the so call Banks in Nigeria.

Please in the house, our research made us to understand that we will need to get licence and other necessarry permit to start operation.
1. How do we get a money lending permit.
2. We need a standard blueprint of money lending operational manual from an experience Banker
3. The necessary forms and account keeping technique required for a money lending firm.
4. This go to Computer Engineer, basic computing system that go along with a money lending firm.

Please anybody with tangible information? Thank you God bless you.[

I'm an experienced banker who has worked through the operations and other department. Every business has its own risk but your ability to formulate policies that will guide your operations makes the difference. I can put you through on procedures. If interested send me a mail olakemi@rocketmail.com.
Re: How To Setup A Money-Lending Firm In Nigeria? by nahinbdis: 6:57am On May 18, 2012
-lanredo:
Thank you for your response. I have little experience in Banking, like 2yrs but with a community bank very lo time ago, I've little experience too in finance, revenue generation, consultancy etc. with some ability to keep financial/accounting records manually. And I'm a very good marketer apart from having HND in Banking & Finance with small proffessional exams CIBN PE II. With these small knowledge I'm sure with mannual I can float on the water!
So sir you can give me the basis.

Manual? That may not do you so much good, because most of the good manuals available are for big players in microfinance and if you structure your business based on that you would have taken the first steps to failure as you would end up spending your little capital on acquiring technical software and employing people that you do not exactly need at this stage.

If you have personal questions to ask, send a mail to info@entertheplace.com
Re: How To Setup A Money-Lending Firm In Nigeria? by nahinbdis: 7:05am On May 18, 2012
Tcrack: are you serious at all? you want to lend money to nigerians. you will never get your money back.if you talk about project financing, that it understandable. but lening money. ol boy, you had better looked for a different line of business.

Sadly, it is folks like you that would never see anything good in your fellow man and would never do anything to improve the system.

As against popular belief, the average businessman in Nigeria is desirous of growing his business and is therefore credit worthy so long as the credit facility is properly structured. I know because we do a lot of unsecured credit to SMEs and individuals and have in the last one year disbursed over N5B. Of course there are lots of defaulters but when you look at the overall book, you will see that you have added value to your balance sheet. It's all a question of risk appetite and risk hedging.

3 Likes

Re: How To Setup A Money-Lending Firm In Nigeria? by nahinbdis: 7:10am On May 18, 2012
princey83:

LOL...they are in developed countries as well, they are called loan sharks - unsecured lending and their APR on loans is in the 2000's. They lend money to people with bad credit history. It's gonna be worse in naija.

With the coming on stream of the various Credit Bureaus, the issue of unknowingly advancing loans to companies and individuals with bad credit has been larger taken care of. In Nigeria, I am not aware of any intentional lending to bad debtors except it is a loan restructuring.
Re: How To Setup A Money-Lending Firm In Nigeria? by nahinbdis: 7:18am On May 18, 2012
On Monday 21/05/2012, I will leading a discussion on HOW TO MAKE MONEY IN TIMES OF ECONOMIC RECESSIONS on www.entertheplace.com (site currently under development). Certain aspects of the discussion will focus on micro-lendng.

Feedback and comments will be appreciated.
Re: How To Setup A Money-Lending Firm In Nigeria? by PA1982(f): 7:30am On May 18, 2012
To the OP-
Like the ones that show up in my email account every day?

I hope not!
Re: How To Setup A Money-Lending Firm In Nigeria? by Jeel: 7:52am On May 18, 2012
Re: How To Setup A Money-Lending Firm In Nigeria? by ONLINEbizDON4U(m): 7:54am On May 18, 2012
Good idea in here and you can reach us if YOU need real mentoring about this

Re: How To Setup A Money-Lending Firm In Nigeria? by Lexusgs430: 8:33am On May 18, 2012
Money lending aka loan sharks
It will never work in a country like Nigeria,
Reasons -:
Lack of companies that would credit check your customers
Lack of Proper electoral databases, to verify customers existence
Nigerian present framework does not allow for such
Etc etc etc
Re: How To Setup A Money-Lending Firm In Nigeria? by Ekowise(m): 8:49am On May 18, 2012
Good idea! Hope u've done ur feasibility study well. Dnt just asume wht hapens abroad 4getin NIGERIAN FACTORs. Besides u'll be sm1 2 be recon wit 4 growt in Nig SMEs. U must also be a spiritualist or having a strong JUJU man helpin u les, u'l die b4 ur time. Expect u ar very close 2 u.
Hwever, hope ur interest rate is nt much 2 punish micro buz just lik MFBs
Re: How To Setup A Money-Lending Firm In Nigeria? by success4(m): 9:05am On May 18, 2012
@OP: If you are serious your knowledge with CIBN alone is enough to start this...
Re: How To Setup A Money-Lending Firm In Nigeria? by Ogosoga: 9:32am On May 18, 2012
OP,

OP,

Your business idea is a very good one and it is something worth doing in Nigeria, there are a lot of successful people in that field in Nigeria of today, I will advise you to look for people and that field already and go and ask your question directly to them, you can even work for them or send someone to go and work with them first for more and direct experience,

Be very careful with all the people giving you their contacts here in this site, some of them are genuine while some are only looking for a way to enrich their pockets without any meaningful solution to offer, don't take every one that gives his contact on Niraland to be genuine and honest.

If you have the capital for the business, then take your time and look for successful people in that area, there are a lot of them in that field here in Nigeria, don’t allow your good business idea to turn
to a bad one to you.

1 Like

Re: How To Setup A Money-Lending Firm In Nigeria? by lovelymind(m): 9:53am On May 18, 2012
i'm working with lending frim in Nieria presently
if you need more info u can send me an email joachinpius@gmail.com
Re: How To Setup A Money-Lending Firm In Nigeria? by peaceland(m): 9:56am On May 18, 2012
Hi,
I think what you would have done is request for information from those in the financial services industry and this you can do by actually going to a couple of finance houses in Lagos and being friendly.
a lot of people here would scare you away but its quite a lucrative and good business; I'm working in one so should know.
the challenges are there but you always work the risk premium into your rates and now is the best time to start in Nigeria; money is scarce out there; business a bit dull but you'll be amazed at the number of small businesses who needs funds and unable to get due to our self imposed financial crisis and the resultant risk averse attitude of the few that still have money
based on the little i know there are 2 ways you can go about it.
registering a company for investment is 1 but that could cost you some good money being tied down
registering a general purpose company is 2nd but then you run the risk of breaking a couple of laws
so the first option seems best but as at the last time i asked you'll need about 20m for that.
sounds big to me then but since i don't know your pocket........
in operating the basic thing is your documentation which has to be tight and properly worded.
our legal system is such that favours the customer so get your clients to sign all required documents
try and lean towards loans that can bring in weekly or bi-weekly inflows and not much of lpos/contracts as they could tie down your funds and delay your expansion.
in Nigeria; emphasis should be on business experience and ability to generate steady cashflow
try and visit ofid dept in cbn for more details but be careful as that would put you on the radar so if you have started the improper way
initial capital mandatory expenses is a critical factor to watch out for as it could make or break you.
just think of it as a poultry business; requires attention to details; not fanciful things and sincerity
enjoy urself; am a credit person
thank you

10 Likes

Re: How To Setup A Money-Lending Firm In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:27am On May 18, 2012
I am the president Standard Life ORganization. We empowered rural women financially and we have 100% repayment history. Though there is special method we adopt called group presure methodology but that is with special training. I would advise u to start as NGO where financial empowerment be one of the aim. This is so because to start as full flesh micro finance u will need alot to put in place and too much search light we be on u. Starting as NGO, you go to CAC to obtain avalability form where u search for ur proposed company name. Then u need to puplish the aim and objective of ur company in 2 national newspaper. U 'll get other details from CAC. Don't just be scared, it is a good business, most especially if you have the right training and knowlegde. Incase of inquiry call 07064950668.

1 Like

Re: How To Setup A Money-Lending Firm In Nigeria? by Ty207: 10:57am On May 18, 2012
Nigerian don't call it money lender they call it micro-finance bank/soft loan lender and others!.....they lend out money to petty trader...i have one in my area that started 5years ago now they have over 200branches in Nigeria.....the business is highly profitable, if you want to succeed in that business stop calling it money lender cos Nigerian don't like hearing that name...
make it Advance grin cheesy wink

2 Likes

Re: How To Setup A Money-Lending Firm In Nigeria? by lanredo1(m): 11:20am On May 18, 2012
Ty207: Nigerian don't call it money lender they call it micro-finance bank/soft loan lender and others!.....they lend out money to petty trader...i have one in my area that started 5years ago now they have over 200branches in Nigeria.....the business is highly profitable, if you want to succeed in that business stop calling it money lender cos Nigerian don't like hearing that name...
make it Advance grin cheesy wink
OK thanks, soft loan lender that is good name
Re: How To Setup A Money-Lending Firm In Nigeria? by lanredo1(m): 12:51pm On May 18, 2012
Ozedy: I am the president Standard Life ORganization. We empowered rural women financially and we have 100% repayment history. Though there is special method we adopt called group presure methodology but that is with special training. I would advise u to start as NGO where financial empowerment be one of the aim. This is so because to start as full flesh micro finance u will need alot to put in place and too much search light we be on u. Starting as NGO, you go to CAC to obtain avalability form where u search for ur proposed company name. Then u need to puplish the aim and objective of ur company in 2 national newspaper. U 'll get other details from CAC. Don't just be scared, it is a good business, most especially if you have the right training and knowlegde. Incase of inquiry call 07064950668.
I must commend your comment...wonderful and helpful I thing I will work on your suggestion.I will like to discuss with you better pls expect my call or better pls let me have your email add

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Setup A Money-Lending Firm In Nigeria? by Tcrack(m): 1:24pm On May 18, 2012
@op
all this people telling you about %100 payback, this, that. i hope you know it is not their money. i have told you the fact, unless you are planing on project financing or you have some form of collateral(or a sure way to guarantee payback) , do yourself a favour and find a different line of business.bo de wun é ko teri si.nba to ba pa lori. o ma mo whatsup.
Re: How To Setup A Money-Lending Firm In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:07pm On May 18, 2012
-lanredo:

I must commend your comment...wonderful and helpful I thing I will work on your suggestion.I will like to discuss with you better pls expect my call or better pls let me have your email add
Re: How To Setup A Money-Lending Firm In Nigeria? by cheikh: 6:00pm On May 18, 2012
nahinbdis
With the coming on stream of the various Credit Bureaus, the issue of unknowingly advancing loans to companies and individuals with bad credit has been larger taken care of. In Nigeria, I am not aware of any intentional lending to bad debtors except it is a loan restructuring.

@^^ I admire your optimism wink. If I may ask- Why was Mrs. Ibru prosecuted/jailed and the rest of them? sad lipsrsealed
Re: How To Setup A Money-Lending Firm In Nigeria? by cheikh: 6:38pm On May 18, 2012
Lexusgs430
Money lending aka loan sharks
It will never work in a country like Nigeria,
Reasons -:
Lack of companies that would credit check your customers
Lack of Proper electoral databases, to verify customers existence
Nigerian present framework does not allow for such
Etc etc etc

@ ^^ You may be right about the above but keep in mind that Money lending is as old as human-kind grin How do they manage in other Countries in Africa including(Nigeria) and elsewhere? Please do your research about our business/market place. Ask our Mamas and other business persons especially in the North, South-West, South-East and Delta areas as someone already pointed out. To succeed in Nigeria, you'll need to think differently, be very creative, intuitively gifted or have loads of "emotional intelligence" or empathy. Know your backyard very well(research)/local knowledge is the key. wink The so called global banks or big money lenders did not exactly start their business enterprise in a perfect atmosphere like you enumerated above. History of companies in those so called perfect business environments does not wholly bear/confirm your logic. Africa and the rest of the so called developing world need a different "Mind-set" and attitude and are definitely doing so in most successful places like the Gambia, Bangladesh, China, Phillipines, Mali, Burkina Faso and Ghana.Money lending and Micro-lending is booming and successful in those countries. Maybe Nigeria is not happening because of our special peculiarities of "Get rich" quick mentality and attitude of our lazy, uncreative and un-responsive institutions(banks)/legal system.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pregnant Juliana Richards Releases Motherhood Photos / 5 Ways To Increase Your Intelligence / Three Reasons Government May Freeze Your Bank Account

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.