Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,511 members, 7,954,935 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 12:50 PM

All Atheist's Attention are Needed Here-Atheists pls, not Pagans and/or agnostic - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / All Atheist's Attention are Needed Here-Atheists pls, not Pagans and/or agnostic (828 Views)

To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? / Challenging The Theists. (god Believers, Pagans And Avatar Enthusiasts :-) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

All Atheist's Attention are Needed Here-Atheists pls, not Pagans and/or agnostic by Gombs(m): 6:02pm On Jan 07, 2014
I'm almost certainly pessimistic when atheists are around, would like to change that...so, a few mind bugging kweshuns are in my mind. Pls any one attempting to answer any kweshun should make his answers short and precise, devoid of personal attack or insults. Now, I'd ask em kweshuns

1.ummmmm...do you choose evolution or big bang theory?

2. Is your trust in science based on faith or based on science?

3. Where does language, art, music, and religion come from?

4. Is absence of proof the proof of absence?

5. What does the atheist position offer people? How has it improved your life? Why will it improve others’ lives?

6. When you attempt to use logic to conclude facts about religion, are you starting at the conclusion (God is not real), or are you starting at true premises? Be honest. If you are starting at true premises, then what are they? And how are they true? Think about #4 when you answer.

7. If all Christians believed that the Bible was entirely allegorical, what would you argue in support of your position that there is no God?

8. [If it even is] Why is it important to you that everyone should be/become an atheist?
Re: All Atheist's Attention are Needed Here-Atheists pls, not Pagans and/or agnostic by onetrack(m): 7:56pm On Jan 07, 2014
Gombs: I'm almost certainly pessimistic when atheists are around, would like to change that...so, a few mind bugging kweshuns are in my mind. Pls any one attempting to answer any kweshun should make his answers short and precise, devoid of personal attack or insults. Now, I'd ask em kweshuns

5. What does the atheist position offer people? How has it improved your life? Why will it improve others’ lives?

6. When you attempt to use logic to conclude facts about religion, are you starting at the conclusion (God is not real), or are you starting at true premises? Be honest. If you are starting at true premises, then what are they? And how are they true? Think about #4 when you answer.

7. If all Christians believed that the Bible was entirely allegorical, what would you argue in support of your position that there is no God?

8. [If it even is] Why is it important to you that everyone should be/become an atheist?

1. Evolution and big bang theory are not mutually exclusive. I believe that the existing evidence points toward both the big bang and evolution being true.

2. I don't 'trust' science; I'm a skeptic. Scientific facts and theories can change as new evidence disproves previously accepted information. However I trust the scientific method as being the most accurate way of discerning the truth.

3. Art, music, and religion are all deliberate man-made inventions. Language is innate and a critical tool which evolved to enable humans to work together to survive.

4. No.

5. I don't follow superstitious rituals and I don't give my money to money-grubbing pastors or mallams. I don't worry about some fiery afterlife punishment from some angry, immature, selfish god.

6. The null hypothesis for me is that there is no god actively involved in human affairs. In order for me to accept that my hypothesis is wrong I need scientifically acceptable proof.

7. It is not for me to prove that a god (or gods) does not exist because I cannot prove it. I make no claims about any gods or the lack thereof and so it's for believers to prove that their gods do exist.

8. It's not important for me that everyone should become atheist. It would be enough for me if religion became strictly a personal, non-political affair for each person to follow privately. Something Jesus said about hypocrites who want to be seen praying on the street corner I quite agree with. Oh, and stay out of trying to interject religious mumbo-jumbo into science.

1 Like

Re: All Atheist's Attention are Needed Here-Atheists pls, not Pagans and/or agnostic by Gombs(m): 8:40pm On Jan 07, 2014
onetrack:

1. Evolution and big bang theory are not mutually exclusive. I believe that the existing evidence points toward both the big bang and evolution being true.

Ok, so everything came from nothing? Or that we evolved from monkeys, how then do we still have monkeys or where did the monkeys we evolved from came from!?... if monkeys came from big bang, so we evolved from stupid to intelligent? Facinating

2. I don't 'trust' science; I'm a skeptic. Scientific facts and theories can change as new evidence disproves previously accepted information. However I trust the scientific method as being the most accurate way of discerning the truth.

Why not Try God, , he doesn't change

3. Art, music, and religion are all deliberate man-made inventions. Language is innate and a critical tool which evolved to enable humans to work together to survive.

Wow....if art was a deliberate man made invention, how do you explain how the world is designed, how the mountains and flowers etc are arranged wonderfully...music? Really? Language? Innate and critical tool which evolved? Wow...how do u explain languages of animals? Were they the ones who 'deliberately' invented it?

4. No.

Meaning, u just admitted the fact that atheists absence of proof that God doesn't exist is NOT a proof he doesn't really exist!?

5. I don't follow superstitious rituals and I don't give my money to money-grubbing pastors or mallams. I don't worry about some fiery afterlife punishment from some angry, immature, selfish god.

In other words, you don't have an idea

6. The null hypothesis for me is that there is no god actively involved in human affairs. In order for me to accept that my hypothesis is wrong I need scientifically acceptable proof.

You didn't attempt answering question 6

7. It is not for me to prove that a god (or gods) does not exist because I cannot prove it. I make no claims about any gods or the lack thereof and so it's for believers to prove that their gods do exist.

I'm glad you accepted the fact you cannot prove God doesn't exist

8. It's not important for me that everyone should become atheist. It would be enough for me if religion became strictly a personal, non-political affair for each person to follow privately. Something Jesus said about hypocrites who want to be seen praying on the street corner I quite agree with. Oh, and stay out of trying to interject religious mumbo-jumbo into science.

Alright...thanks for your time
Re: All Atheist's Attention are Needed Here-Atheists pls, not Pagans and/or agnostic by onetrack(m): 9:11pm On Jan 07, 2014
Gombs:

Ok, so everything came from nothing? Or that we evolved from monkeys, how then do we still have monkeys or where did the monkeys we evolved from came from!?... if monkeys came from big bang, so we evolved from stupid to intelligent? Facinating

We did not evolve from monkeys, but rather we and monkeys have a common ancestor. Our intelligence developed as a result of adaptation to the environment.

Why not Try God, , he doesn't change

which god? Sango, Yahweh, Odin, Shiva....? And why are they hiding?

Wow....if art was a deliberate man made invention, how do you explain how the world is designed, how the mountains and flowers etc are arranged wonderfully...music? Really? Language? Innate and critical tool which evolved? Wow...how do u explain languages of animals? Were they the ones who 'deliberately' invented it?

The world is not art as it is not man-made. In any case beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What you find beautiful someone else may find ugly. Animals have developed some communication skills as a means of adaptation to the environment.

Meaning, u just admitted the fact that atheists absence of proof that God doesn't exist is NOT a proof he doesn't really exist!?

For me, yes.

In other words, you don't have an idea

That's correct. I have no idea of an afterlife or otherworldly existence. I haven't seen proof of such.

You didn't attempt answering question 6

I gave an answer that expresses my belief.

I'm glad you accepted the fact you cannot prove God doesn't exist

Very few atheists will say that they can prove that God does not exist. Maybe you misunderstand what atheists actually think. But I'm happy to see that you took the time to ask so that I could correct any misinformation.

Alright...thanks for your time

Happy to answer.
Re: All Atheist's Attention are Needed Here-Atheists pls, not Pagans and/or agnostic by Gombs(m): 9:30pm On Jan 07, 2014
onetrack:

We did not evolve from monkeys, but rather we and monkeys have a common ancestor. Our intelligence developed as a result of adaptation to the environment.

Who is that common ancestor? Where did it come from?

which god? Sango, Yahweh, Odin, Shiva....? And why are they hiding?

God almighty, he sent Jesus...try Him. He is not hiding

The world is not art as it is not man-made. In any case beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What you find beautiful someone else may find ugly. Animals have [size=16pt] developed [/size] some communication skills as a means of adaptation to the environment.

Na wa o...
grin

For me, yes.

Fair enough

That's correct. I have no idea of an afterlife or otherworldly existence. I haven't seen proof of such.

undecided

I gave an answer that expresses my belief.

Ok

Very few atheists will say that they can prove that God does not exist. Maybe you misunderstand what atheists actually think. But I'm happy to see that you took the time to ask so that I could correct any misinformation.

Thank you...
Happy to ask.[/quote]
Re: All Atheist's Attention are Needed Here-Atheists pls, not Pagans and/or agnostic by Kay17: 10:09pm On Jan 07, 2014
Gombs:

Atheism is primarily about the non existence of God, not the latest scientific theories. Arguments against God need not provide an alternative explanation, but satisfactory in dismantling God's existence.

This is typical inductive reasoning. Using man as the particular premise to generalise. Now besides man as an example, there is nature we observe, therefore throws out God the creator concept.

Coherence and not just proof.
Re: All Atheist's Attention are Needed Here-Atheists pls, not Pagans and/or agnostic by Gombs(m): 10:47pm On Jan 07, 2014
Kay 17:

Atheism is primarily about the non existence of God, not the latest scientific theories. Arguments against God need not provide an alternative explanation, but satisfactory in dismantling God's existence.

This is typical inductive reasoning. Using man as the particular premise to generalise. Now besides man as an example, there is nature we observe, therefore throws out God the creator concept.

Coherence and not just proof.

Why didn't you just answer the questions in the OP? undecided
Re: All Atheist's Attention are Needed Here-Atheists pls, not Pagans and/or agnostic by scarred9jan(m): 7:46am On Jan 08, 2014
onetrack:

4. No.

Spot on.. Love it... Can I follow you?
Re: All Atheist's Attention are Needed Here-Atheists pls, not Pagans and/or agnostic by jayriginal: 8:57am On Jan 08, 2014
Gombs:

They are not competing theories.

The scientific method is preferable to any faith based method.

From humans.

No.

It does not "offer" anything. You take responsibility for your actions rather than blaming or begging some entity that for all intents and purposes doesnt exist.

If one is to use logic, one wont start at the conclusion. I hope this answers you.

Who said that my position is that there is no god?

Its not important to me.
Re: All Atheist's Attention are Needed Here-Atheists pls, not Pagans and/or agnostic by Gombs(m): 9:29am On Jan 08, 2014
^^^

Suddenly, atheists are now saying their position is not that God doesn't exist grin

Ok, He does, why then don't you acknowledge him?
Re: All Atheist's Attention are Needed Here-Atheists pls, not Pagans and/or agnostic by Kay17: 9:53am On Jan 08, 2014
Gombs:

Why didn't you just answer the questions in the OP? undecided

I addressed your post based on the Op, however I will go over em again.

1. They can be compatible. A counter question, does any of them conflict with truths about God?

2. In science, the truths are deemed provisional.

3. Man.

4. No.

5. There are diverse atheistic philosophies

6. Take the bible as it is.

7. Subjective

8. No
Re: All Atheist's Attention are Needed Here-Atheists pls, not Pagans and/or agnostic by jayriginal: 10:14am On Jan 08, 2014
Gombs: ^^^

Suddenly, atheists are now saying their position is not that God doesn't exist grin

Ok, He does, why then don't you acknowledge him?

Are you for real?

Did I say that god exists?

Read again and understand.
Re: All Atheist's Attention are Needed Here-Atheists pls, not Pagans and/or agnostic by Gombs(m): 11:23am On Jan 08, 2014
jayriginal:

Are you for real?

Did I say that god exists?

Read again and understand.

What is your proof that he doesn't exist?.....do have question 4 in mind when answering me
Re: All Atheist's Attention are Needed Here-Atheists pls, not Pagans and/or agnostic by jayriginal: 11:32am On Jan 08, 2014
Gombs:

What is your proof that he doesn't exist?.....do have question 4 in mind when answering me

Have I said God doesnt exist?

Think man, think!
Re: All Atheist's Attention are Needed Here-Atheists pls, not Pagans and/or agnostic by Gombs(m): 11:52am On Jan 08, 2014
jayriginal:

Have I said God doesnt exist?

Think man, think!

You said u didn't say he doesn't exist
You are again saying you didn't say he existed...

Who said that my position is that there is no god?

What should I have deduced from the above? Are you agnostic?...ok, what is your position about God's existence?
Re: All Atheist's Attention are Needed Here-Atheists pls, not Pagans and/or agnostic by jayriginal: 12:47pm On Jan 08, 2014
Gombs:

You said u didn't say he doesn't exist
You are again saying you didn't say he existed...

What should I have deduced from the above? Are you agnostic?...ok, what is your position about God's existence?

I dont believe God exists. Can you see how this is different from saying that God does not exist?
Re: All Atheist's Attention are Needed Here-Atheists pls, not Pagans and/or agnostic by Gombs(m): 6:59pm On Jan 08, 2014
jayriginal:

I dont believe God exists. Can you see how this is different from saying that God does not exist?

Why don't you?
Re: All Atheist's Attention are Needed Here-Atheists pls, not Pagans and/or agnostic by Nobody: 7:10pm On Jan 08, 2014
i don't get some posts get the attention they do.. simply a waste of brain-cells explaining what a Religious fellow does not believe, does not wish to understand and could care less.. except for drawing out Atheists into an improperly formed question based on psuedo-logic

1 Like

Re: All Atheist's Attention are Needed Here-Atheists pls, not Pagans and/or agnostic by Gombs(m): 8:14pm On Jan 08, 2014
voltron: i don't get some posts get the attention they do.. simply a waste of brain-cells explaining what a Religious fellow does not believe, does not wish to understand and could care less.. except for drawing out Atheists into an improperly formed question based on psuedo-logic

Una grammar dey always tire me grin
Re: All Atheist's Attention are Needed Here-Atheists pls, not Pagans and/or agnostic by Nobody: 9:32am On Jan 09, 2014
Gombs:

Una grammar dey always tire me grin

Because it is short and straight to the point unlike the 10 page posts of waffling and shuffling trying to explain why God cannot heal amputees.

1 Like

Re: All Atheist's Attention are Needed Here-Atheists pls, not Pagans and/or agnostic by Gombs(m): 1:24pm On Jan 09, 2014
voltron:

Because it is short and straight to the point unlike the 10 page posts of waffling and shuffling trying to explain why God cannot heal amputees.

Who told you he can't? There was a case of such in the bible...and it happens even today

(1) (Reply)

The Body Of Christ Is Not The Welfare System For Pastors / Photos: RCCG Members Asked To Show Their PVC In Church / God Doesn't Like Vegetables

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.