Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,754 members, 7,827,782 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 04:59 PM

Challenging The Theists. (god Believers, Pagans And Avatar Enthusiasts :-) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Challenging The Theists. (god Believers, Pagans And Avatar Enthusiasts :-) (2886 Views)

To All God-believers / Challenging The Skeptics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Challenging The Theists. (god Believers, Pagans And Avatar Enthusiasts :-) by Nobody: 6:14am On Jul 04, 2011
Where in the human body is this soul you claim to have?

What's the difference between a soul and a spirit.

Do all live things have souls or just we special humans.

If this soul is said to be immortal, did it exist before you were born and if it did where was it?
Re: Challenging The Theists. (god Believers, Pagans And Avatar Enthusiasts :-) by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:27am On Jul 04, 2011
from a Pagan point of view:

The soul is everywhere, that is nowhere. its not a particular place. its just imbibed into you. it is an essence.

A soul is the spirit of a living being.

A spirit is an imprint of dead or divine people. e/g spirits of dead ancestors, sea-spirits (divine beings), spirits of the forests, etc.

All living things have a soul. humans, animals, everything thats alive. as i said, its an essence, which is why everyones different.

If you believe in reincarnation, then you must be well aware that the soul was previously existing in someone elses body. The body is material and can be destroyed. The soul is immaterial so it will stay. (everything has an opposite force. so in this case, the opposite force to the material body (e.g., the human body), is the immaterial body ( e.g. the human soul).
Re: Challenging The Theists. (god Believers, Pagans And Avatar Enthusiasts :-) by Nobody: 10:32am On Jul 04, 2011
PAGAN 9JA:

from a Pagan point of view:

The soul is everywhere, that is nowhere. its not a a particular place. its is just imbibed into you. it is an essence.

A soul is the spirit of a living being.

A spirit is an imprint of dead or divine people. e/g spirits of dead ancestors, sea-spirits (divine beings), spirits of the forests, etc.

All living things have a soul. humans, animals, everything thats alive. as i said, its an essence, which is why everyones different.

If you believe in reincarnation, then you must be well aware that the soul was previously existing in someone elses body. The body is material and can be destroyed. The soul is immaterial so it will stay. (everything has an opposite force. so in this case, the opposite force to the material body (e.g., the human body), is the immaterial body ( e.g. the human soul).

So your soul is simultaneously nowhere, everywhere and also imbibed in you like an idea? A soul is also the spirit of living things which means when a person/soul dies, it becomes a spirit. Or do souls just reincarnate and go into random wombs to inhabit new zygotes?

The way you described it doesn't bring any clarity, just more ambiguity. It seems more like an idea made up to explain human conciousness.

C
Re: Challenging The Theists. (god Believers, Pagans And Avatar Enthusiasts :-) by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:44am On Jul 04, 2011
Martian:

So your soul simultaneously nowhere, everywhere and also imbibed in you like an idea? A soul is also the spirit of living things which means when a person/soul dies, it becomes a spirit.

lipsrsealed

yes lyk an idea, but an idea is a thought generated by the materialistic body. it is attached to the body, whereas the soul, is a body unto its own. it is not attached to any body, materialistic or immaterialistic.

The terms soul and spirit where denoted by the english language to differentiate betwee the two. obviously a soul becomes a spirit when you die. its lyk saying, for e.g., take a human body. when it is alive, its a living body, but when it is dead, it is a dead body.

so in the same way, when a soul is in a living body, it is a soul, when after death of the material body, it is a spirit.

however, i must say theres some confusion between normal human spirits, spirits of the ancestors, and divine spirits.
Re: Challenging The Theists. (god Believers, Pagans And Avatar Enthusiasts :-) by Nobody: 10:56am On Jul 04, 2011
PAGAN 9JA:

yes lyk an idea, but an idea is a thought generated by the materialistic body. it is attached to the body, whereas the soul, is a body unto its own. it is not attached to any body, materialistic or immaterialistic.

The terms soul and spirit where denoted by the english language to differentiate betwee the two. obviously a soul becomes a spirit when you die. its lyk saying, for e.g., take a human body. when it is alive, its a living body, but when it is dead, it is a dead body.

so in the same way, when a soul is in a living body, it is a soul, when after death of the material body, it is a spirit.

however, i must say theres some confusion between normal human spirits, spirits of the ancestors, and divine spirits.

so is it an idea produced by the brain or is it distinct from a person because you just said "the soul, is a body unto its own. it is not attached to any body, materialistic or immaterialistic" if its not attached to anybody, if it's not materialistic nor immaterialistic, how does it exist?

Assuming you're right and it does exist and is independent of a tangible body;why does it die?
Does the soul die when the body it is independent of dies? Where does it go when it turns into a spirit and how does it choose the new life from to inhabit (while being independent of the same body)?

Forget about the confusion about the human spirit, spirits of the ancestors and divine spirits, we still don't have a grasp on what a soul is.

Can you answer the questions like this
Q: Where is your brain?

A: Inside your skull

Q:What does it do?

A: It regulates and controls every function in your body.
Re: Challenging The Theists. (god Believers, Pagans And Avatar Enthusiasts :-) by Jenwitemi(m): 6:03pm On Jul 04, 2011
These replies are from my own perspectives.
Martian:

Where in the human body is this soul you claim to have? - Soul or Spirit?

What's the difference between a soul and a spirit. - The "soul" is formed by the sum total of your earthly experiences accumulated so far. From your time in the womb to the present moment. The soul is the seat of all that you have ever seen, heard, touched, felt, conceptualized or thought, spoken, smelt, etc etc. The soul is formed here on the physical world through the interactions with it and can be easily manipulated from the outside by others.
- The "spirit", on the other hand, is the eternal you, the you that is experiencing this reality through all those physical senses. It is the immortal you that was never born and never dies. The spirit you uses the accumulated data stored in your soul to navigate around the physical world in your day to day, or moment to moment interactions with life as it flows on.

Do all live things have souls or just we special humans. - Every living thing has a soul and not just we humans. Every single one of them. Because all living things interact with the physical world on different levels. And as long as there are such interactions, there will always be some place to store all the subsequently acquired data, and such a place is the SOUL.

If this soul is said to be immortal, did it exist before you were born and if it did where was it? - No, it does not exist before the entry into the physical world, but afterwards.
Re: Challenging The Theists. (god Believers, Pagans And Avatar Enthusiasts :-) by Nobody: 10:16am On Jul 05, 2011
Jenwitemi:

These replies are from my own perspectives.
The "soul" is formed by the sum total of your earthly experiences accumulated so far. From your time in the womb to the present moment. The soul is the seat of all that you have ever seen, heard, touched, felt, conceptualized or thought, spoken, smelt, etc etc. The soul is formed here on the physical world through the interactions with it and can be easily manipulated from the outside by others.
- The "spirit", on the other hand, is the eternal you, the you that is experiencing this reality through all those physical senses. It is the immortal you that was never born and never dies. The spirit you uses the accumulated data stored in your soul to navigate around the physical world in your day to day, or moment to moment interactions with life as it flows on.

Do all live things have souls or just we special humans. - Every living thing has a soul and not just we humans. Every single one of them. Because all living things interact with the physical world on different levels. And as long as there are such interactions, there will always be some place to store all the subsequently acquired data, and such a place is the SOUL.

If this soul is said to be immortal, did it exist before you were born and if it did where was it? - No, it does not exist before the entry into the physical world, but afterwards.

So the soul contains the sum total of all your experiences and memories? I thought it's the brain that's responsible for that!
Your spirit is the eternal you that's never born or never dies and also uses the "data" stored in your "soul" to navigate the physical world.

There's a show on HBO called true blood, I think the producers and writers would appreciate your creativity.
Re: Challenging The Theists. (god Believers, Pagans And Avatar Enthusiasts :-) by Jenwitemi(m): 10:36am On Jul 05, 2011
About the HBO show, link me up, please. wink
I thought you opened this thread to explore the realms beyond your grasp, but i see that that is not the case and you're not that serious. Whatever. This thread is already dead. Cheerio!
Martian:

So the soul contains the sum total of all your experiences and memories? I thought it's the brain that's responsible for that!
Your spirit is the eternal you that's never born or never dies and also uses the "data" stored in your "soul" to navigate the physical world.

There's a show on HBO called true blood, I think the producers and writers would appreciate your creativity.

Re: Challenging The Theists. (god Believers, Pagans And Avatar Enthusiasts :-) by Nobody: 11:52am On Jul 05, 2011
Jenwitemi:

About the HBO show, link me up, please. wink
I thought you opened this thread to explore the realms beyond your grasp, but i see that that is not the case and you're not that serious. Whatever. This thread is already dead. Cheerio!

lol, it's dead because none of you can give a coherent explanation of what a soul/spirit/god is. You're talking about exploring realms beyond my grasp. Maybe they are beyond my grasp because it sounds like what a teenage female fan of the Twilight series will come up with.
The immortal you that was never born or never dies!!! grin You can't write these stuff and not expect to be made fun off. I see you make fun of the christian beliefs too while you hold even more absurd beliefs.

A little knowledge in basic biology should show you that your description of a soul sounds very much like your brain. And if you could reason without your spritual bias, you'll see that all that crap you wrote are just idea produced by your brain.

grin The immortal you that was never born and never dies but uses data stored in your soul to navigate the physical world. grin lmao, if True blood doesn't hire you, you should send some of your stuff to the author of the twilight series. grin
Re: Challenging The Theists. (god Believers, Pagans And Avatar Enthusiasts :-) by Jenwitemi(m): 5:37pm On Jul 05, 2011
Okay, then. But since you know everything concerning the soul and the spirit, what is the point of this thread, then?
Martian:

lol, it's dead because none of you can give a coherent explanation of what a soul/spirit/god is. You're talking about exploring realms beyond my grasp. Maybe they are beyond my grasp because it sounds like what a teenage female fan of the Twilight series will come up with.
The immortal you that was never born or never dies!!! grin You can't write these stuff and not expect to be made fun off. I see you make fun of the christian beliefs too while you hold even more absurd beliefs.

A little knowledge in basic biology should show you that your description of a soul sounds very much like your brain. And if you could reason without your spritual bias, you'll see that all that crap you wrote are just idea produced by your brain.

grin The immortal you that was never born and never dies but uses data stored in your soul to navigate the physical world. grin lmao, if True blood doesn't hire you, you should send some of your stuff to the author of the twilight series. grin

Re: Challenging The Theists. (god Believers, Pagans And Avatar Enthusiasts :-) by Nobody: 6:55pm On Jul 05, 2011
Jenwitemi:

Okay, then. But since you know everything concerning the soul and the spirit, what is the point of this thread, then?

I dont know what a soul is but I know what a brain is. What you described as a soul sounded very much like a functioning brain while your description of a spirit sounds like wishful thinking. Seriously, the eternal you that was never born and never dies? If I agree with you that what you wrote makes sense then we'll both be deadwrong!

I made the thread because religious people are concerned about saving these things called souls. They rejoice with childlike glee when they get another person to join their ranks. I read a thread a while ago where  one of the CEC brethren named mabell recounted standing on roadsides in order to get unsuspecting motorcycle operators to turn their souls over to her. She seemed pleased that she " won her soul"( her words!), so Im curious to see if anyone can come up with a realistic description of what this soul is and where it is.

Christians and muslims claim their souls go to heaven when they die or hell for people like me, yet whenever I ask one of them what a soul is, the gibberish starts flowing.

I know I'm not going to get an answer that makes sense because souls and spirits do not exist but one of my guilty pleasures is reading comments from religious people and other fundamentalists explaining what it is the believe and why.

People also love to say "god is  a spirit" ,as in intangible but in the same breathe they say"we are made in the image of god".
Last time I checked intangible things don't have physical properties.
Re: Challenging The Theists. (god Believers, Pagans And Avatar Enthusiasts :-) by Jenwitemi(m): 7:48pm On Jul 05, 2011
Are the entire data(files, apps, OS) stored on a computer hard drive the same thing as the hard drives on which they are stored? The soul(a mere metaphor) is the entire data of an organic or biological computer which is us and other living organisms, while parts of your brain serve as the hard drives(not entirely sure about that, tbh). The soul can be removed or copied from a biological organism just as data can be removed or copied from a PC's HDD to be transfered to some place else. This science already exists, secretly, and you better believe it.
Martian:

I dont know what a soul is but I know what a brain is. What you described as a soul sounded very much like a functioning brain while your description of a spirit sounds like wishful thinking.
Re: Challenging The Theists. (god Believers, Pagans And Avatar Enthusiasts :-) by Nobody: 6:31am On Jul 06, 2011
Jenwitemi:

Are the entire data(files, apps, OS) stored on a computer hard drive the same thing as the hard drives on which they are stored? The soul(a mere metaphor) is the entire data of an organic or biological computer which is us and other living organisms, while parts of your brain serve as the hard drives(not entirely sure about that, tbh). The soul can be removed or copied from a biological organism just as data can be removed or copied from a PC's HDD to be transfered to some place else. This science already exists, secretly, and you better believe it.

grin grin grin grin grin Ok.

Before, you said the soul is the place where you store memories, now it is just a "mere metaphor". Fantastic. This is what you said previously. "there will always be some place to store all the subsequently acquired data, and such a place is the SOUL". You think that some "parts of the brain" act as the harddrive but you hare not really sure. Maybe the heart serves as the data entry point and the liver converts the data into usable information.

I do agree with you about the soul being a metaphor though. A metaphor for the brain, a metaphor for deeply felt emotions, a metaphor for the human consciouness. That's where it stops because you then go off into Avatar world and start talking about a "secret technology" that can transfer souls into different bodies. If the technology is secret, how come you know about it What's the name of the corporation that developed this incredible soul tranfering machine?

The brain is indeed a biological computer but this soul thing is not the software. The natural chemicals like dopamine and the electrical charges are what's used in the interaction with the physical world.  As for your "spiritual realm", that's just you conciously creating fantasies in your brain just like your brain creates dreams with your subconcious.

If the soul can be copied like a software, can you also store it on a disc, thumbdrive or maybe turn it into an app for the iPad since you want to mix your fantasy with reality. Sorry, supernatural woo and science are like oil and water.
Re: Challenging The Theists. (god Believers, Pagans And Avatar Enthusiasts :-) by Jenwitemi(m): 8:28am On Jul 06, 2011
The term "soul" is the metaphor and not what i believe it represents, my friend. I was referring to the word itself(soul) and not what it represents. It could be any other word in use to describe the same thing. The term itself isn't important, but what it represents. Are we clear now?
Martian:

grin grin grin grin grin Ok.

Before, you said the soul is the place where you store memories, now it is just a "mere metaphor". Fantastic. This is what you said previously. "there will always be some place to store all the subsequently acquired data, and such a place is the SOUL". You think that some "parts of the brain" act as the harddrive but you hare not really sure.  Maybe the heart serves as the data entry point and the liver converts the data into usable information.

1) I heard about it in an interview with a scientist who was privy to the experiment. An insider so to speak. This technology is secret because it is not part of mainstream science and not taught in science classes in the western scientific institutions.

2) I neither know the company(if there is one) nor is it necessary to know. I just know the technology exists. I'll try to get the name of the scientist who has been part of the development of  this technology.
Martian:

If the technology is secret, how come you know about it What's the name of the corporation that developed this incredible soul tranfering machine?

How do you know that since you know nothing about this level of science?
Martian:

The brain is indeed a biological computer but this soul thing is not the software.

Those chemicals you describe are physical stuffs that are part of the physical brain which makes them nothing more than the hardware components of the biological computers living things are, just like what the physical brain is. The "soul" is the software.
Martian:

The natural chemicals like dopamine and the electrical charges are what's used in the interaction with the physical world. 

The term "supernatural" is only there to confuse us. It means things that are beyond our momentary understanding and present state of development or evolution. There was a time when what you and i are doing now(having a convo over a vast distance) would have been termed as "supernatural". There is no such thing as supernatural in reality, my friend.

And FYI, science has been merging with spirituality for a long time now. Your problem is that you are far too mainstream to see anything beyond that very superficial realm, hence your momentary very limited level of belief or knowledge of what is scientifically possible in today's reality. You will be amazed at what is scientifically and technologically possible today.
Martian:

If the soul can be copied like a software, can you also store it on a disc, thumbdrive or maybe turn it into an app for the iPad since you want to mix your fantasy with reality. Sorry, supernatural woo and science are like oil and water.

BTW, the avatar movie is a way of telling those who are interested that the technology truly exists. And soul transfer technology was what was on display in the plot of that movie.
Re: Challenging The Theists. (god Believers, Pagans And Avatar Enthusiasts :-) by Nobody: 9:36am On Jul 06, 2011
Jenwitemi:

The term "soul" is the metaphor and not what i believe it represents, my friend. I was referring to the word itself(soul) and not what it represents. It could be any other word in use to describe the same thing. The term itself isn't important, but what it represents. Are we clear now?
1) I heard about it in an interview with a scientist who was privy to the experiment. An insider so to speak. This technology is secret because it is not part of mainstream science and not taught in science classes in the western scientific institutions.

2) I neither know the company(if there is one) nor is it necessary to know. I just know the technology exists. I'll try to get the name of the scientist who has been part of the development of  this technology.
How do you know that since you know nothing about this level of science?
Those chemicals you describe are physical stuffs that are part of the physical brain which makes them nothing more than the hardware components of the biological computers living things are, just like what the physical brain is. The "soul" is the software.
The term "supernatural" is only there to confuse us. It means things that are beyond our momentary understanding and present state of development or evolution. There was a time when what you and i are doing now(having a convo over a vast distance) would have been termed as "supernatural". There is no such thing as supernatural in reality, my friend.

And FYI, science has been merging with spirituality for a long time now. Your problem is that you are far too mainstream to see anything beyond that very superficial realm, hence your momentary very limited level of belief or knowledge of what is scientifically possible in today's reality. You will be amazed at what is scientifically and technologically possible today.
BTW, the avatar movie is a way of telling those who are interested that the technology truly exists. And soul transfer technology was what was on display in the plot of that movie.

Now the soul represents something? And what is it that it represents because you keep changing your perspective everytime. Your description of the soul is the functioning of the brain, maybe if the Nigerian education system wasn't so f_cked up, you would know this.

You heard about this "secret" technology in an interview, did you happen to catch the name of this genius scientist and on which program? I live in a society where information is at one's fingertips 24/7, give me some names, places, programs to research to verify this secret technology that you're privy to. Maybe if you told your neighbor this sh_t, he'll believe you, not me. lol

2) I neither know the company(if there is one) nor is it necessary to know. I just know the technology exists

Dude, you don't even know if the company exists but you know for a fact that this technology exists!!!! Typical
Nigerian.

And FYI, science has been merging with spirituality for a long time now.

Where? In your backyard?

You don't have to tell me that the so called supernatural dosn't exist. I know this Maaaaaaaan!!!! (Smokyyyyyy) grin
But don't try to reclassify your woo as something that is not yet understood because the "immortal you aka spirit" doesn't exist. It's not a natural phenomenon that is not yet understood, ITS MUTHAF_CKING IGNORANCE CLOAKED IN INTELLECTUALISM.

Your problem is that you are far too mainstream to see anything beyond that very superficial realm, hence your momentary very limited level of belief or knowledge of what is scientifically possible in today's reality. You will be amazed at what is scientifically and technologically possible today.

And your problem is that you're not educated enough or exposed to enough information to tell the difference between reality, conspiracy theories and hollywood fantasies. Im not amazed at what is technologically possible now or the future possiblities of science and technology but i am amazed at your inability to distinguish fact from fiction.

This doesn't even deserve a response. You might as well say the machines in the Matrix are about to set up skynet. Makes about as much sense.

PS: I heard on an interview from a scientist who shall forever remain nameless that there are Gods living on Jupiter. The evidence is Jupiter's great red spot and some radio waves intercepted by the second Voyager spacecraft. Also Area 51 is a resort for Aliens visiting earth.
You don't know these facts because they are secrets.
Re: Challenging The Theists. (god Believers, Pagans And Avatar Enthusiasts :-) by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:39am On Jul 06, 2011
the Gods live on Jupiter
Re: Challenging The Theists. (god Believers, Pagans And Avatar Enthusiasts :-) by Nobody: 9:43am On Jul 06, 2011
PAGAN 9JA:

the Gods live on Jupiter

What? I can't make this claim? What is the difference between my outrageous claims and yours below?

The soul is everywhere, that is nowhere. its not a particular place. its just imbibed into you. it is an essence.

Answer: I Know it's utter bullsh_t while you think yours make sense! smiley
Re: Challenging The Theists. (god Believers, Pagans And Avatar Enthusiasts :-) by Nobody: 1:15pm On Jul 06, 2011
Jenwitemi's comments are just plain pseudoscience. Trying to debate with such types is pointless.

Pseudoscience is a claim, belief, or practice which is presented as scientific, but which does not adhere to a valid scientific method, lacks supporting evidence or plausibility, cannot be reliably tested, or otherwise lacks scientific status. Pseudoscience is often characterized by the use of vague, exaggerated or unprovable claims, an over-reliance on confirmation rather than rigorous attempts at refutation, a lack of openness to evaluation by other experts, and a general absence of systematic processes to rationally develop theories.
Re: Challenging The Theists. (god Believers, Pagans And Avatar Enthusiasts :-) by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:13pm On Jul 06, 2011
i have a soul whereas YOU kind Sir,      ARE A DEAD MANS' SPIRIT!!!!!!  angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Challenging The Theists. (god Believers, Pagans And Avatar Enthusiasts :-) by Nobody: 6:35am On Jul 07, 2011
PAGAN 9JA:

i have a soul whereas YOU kind Sir,      ARE A DEAD MANS' SPIRIT!!!!!!  angry angry angry angry angry angry

Interesting!!! So going by your definition of a spirit below I am a God, or one of the spirits of your ancestors. Thanks for confirming my suspicions because most of you people are too ret@arded for me to be one of you!

"A spirit is an imprint of dead or divine people. e/g spirits of dead ancestors, sea-spirits (divine beings), spirits of the forests, etc."

Now, go and sacrifice a virgin christian woman to me. I'll accept a muslim woman too, just make sure she doesn't have the black rug thing some of them wear.

phxc:

Jenwitemi's comments are just plain pseudoscience. Trying to debate with such types is pointless.

Sad part is that he really thinks he sounds informed which also makes it hilarious. Soul Transfer Technology!!!! lmao, the closest thing that is being developed that's even remotely close to his delusion is the research and development of remote controlled robots using mechanisms that make use of the human brain's radio frequency( electromagnetic waves). And I heard it on National Public Radio, a relatively unbiased and unaffiliated news source while Jenwitemi gets is "data" from sources like David Icke's reptillian overlords. They send this "data" to his soul telepathetically.
Re: Challenging The Theists. (god Believers, Pagans And Avatar Enthusiasts :-) by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:07pm On Jul 07, 2011
Martian:

Interesting!!! So going by your definition of a spirit below I am a God, or one of the spirits of your ancestors. Thanks for confirming my suspicions because most of you people are too ret@arded for me to be one of you!

"A spirit is an imprint of dead or divine people. e/g spirits of dead ancestors, sea-spirits (divine beings), spirits of the forests, etc."

Now, go and sacrifice a virgin christian woman to me. I'll accept a muslim woman too, just make sure she doesn't have the black rug thing some of them wear. .

ok. wink
Re: Challenging The Theists. (god Believers, Pagans And Avatar Enthusiasts :-) by UyiIredia(m): 1:23am On Feb 18, 2012
Martian:

Where in the human body is this soul you claim to have?

The soul is a metaphysical thing. It is a concept/belief that can't be said to have a location.

Martian:
What's the difference between a soul and a spirit.

A spirit is a smaller part of the whole (God/Nous/Reality) whilst a soul is the dilemma (or schism) the spirit faces in the material world (Earth) as we know it. Consider a bucket of water: I'd say the spirit is water. The body is the bucket whilst the soul is the water whilst in the bucket.

Martian:
Do all live things have souls or just we special humans.

Only humans have souls. However, I think this part of the concept of spirit/soul is problematic. A question which summarizes the problem is this: Is the concept of soul strictly reducible to that which appears to have conatus (i.e will) ?

Martian:
If this soul is said to be immortal, did it exist before you were born and if it did where was it?

I have defined the soul as a schism. An interplay of two things a part of a whole (God) & the material world as created by (God). What one thinks is a soul is actually a spirit.

Finally, I must say these views are amenable to change in the face of knowledge gained.
Re: Challenging The Theists. (god Believers, Pagans And Avatar Enthusiasts :-) by Nobody: 3:49am On Feb 18, 2012
Uyi Iredia:

The soul is a metaphysical thing. It is a concept/belief that can't be said to have a location.

Just another idea from an era when people thought the earth was the center of the universe.

Uyi Iredia:

A spirit is a smaller part of the whole (God/Nous/Reality)

What?

Uyi Iredia:

A spirit is a smaller part of the whole (God/Nous/Reality) whilst a soul is the dilemma (or schism) the spirit faces in the material world (Earth) as we know it. Consider a bucket of water: I'd say the spirit is water. The body is the bucket whilst the soul is the water whilst in the bucket.

Now the soul is a schism? Schism between who or what?

Uyi Iredia:

So the spirit doesn't like the body and it turns into a soul?

Uyi Iredia:

Only humans have souls.

I beg to defer. I love watching Animal shows and you can't tell me that Solo the Lion doesn't have a soul. What is good enough for man is good enough for lions.

Uyi Iredia:

Only humans have souls. However, I think this part of the concept of spirit/soul is problematic. A question which summarizes the problem is this: Is the concept of soul strictly reducible to that which appears to have conatus (i.e will) ?

Souls have no location anyway. You said it.

Uyi Iredia:

I have defined the soul as a schism. An interplay of two things a part of a whole (God) & the material world as created by (God). What one thinks is a soul is actually a spirit.

And after reading your definitions, this is how much sense they made to me.
@#$$%%#^&%(())_*)!$&*(&* %FG C CFDE GNDBEGRNFGDFJ NWEW$%$@Y&IR(E($ @Q^$AWERSEURQ$~@

Uyi Iredia:

Finally, I must say these views are amenable to change in the face of knowledge gained.

Just more assumptions, afterall this is Metaphysics

[quote][/quote]
Re: Challenging The Theists. (god Believers, Pagans And Avatar Enthusiasts :-) by mazaje(m): 4:15am On Feb 18, 2012
Pretending to know what you don't and making things as you go is the name of the game. . . Back in the days the ancient men that created the religions and gave us the concept of the soul all thought that reasoning, emotions and thoughts all come from the heart based on the simple fact that when you are anxious, tensed, angry or agitated you heart beats faster . . .They didn't know that the human brain is responsible for thought, reasoning and emotions and controls all functions of the body both voluntary and involuntary. . . .

LMAO while reading what Jenwitemi and Uyi Iredia have written. . . .
Re: Challenging The Theists. (god Believers, Pagans And Avatar Enthusiasts :-) by Nobody: 4:26am On Feb 18, 2012
mazaje:

Pretending to know what you don't and making things as you go is the name of the game. . . Back in the days the ancient men that created the religions and gave us the concept of the soul all thought that reasoning, emotions and thoughts all come from the heart based on the simple fact that when you are anxious, tensed, angry or agitated you heart beats faster . . .They didn't know that the human brain is responsible for thought, reasoning and emotions and controls all functions of the body both voluntary and involuntary. . . .

LMAO while reading what Jenwitemi and Uyi Iredia have written. . . .

Psalm 14 1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

I'm drowning in the irony. lmao.
Re: Challenging The Theists. (god Believers, Pagans And Avatar Enthusiasts :-) by mazaje(m): 4:50am On Feb 18, 2012
^^

Jeremiah 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked : who can know it?

This same people that thought the heart is responsible for reasoning and thought brought the concept of soul. . .
Re: Challenging The Theists. (god Believers, Pagans And Avatar Enthusiasts :-) by Lasinoh: 5:21am On Feb 18, 2012
Good job. . .knock 'em theist reetards dead!!! cool
Re: Challenging The Theists. (god Believers, Pagans And Avatar Enthusiasts :-) by plaetton: 7:06am On Feb 18, 2012
@Martian:
There was a time when science and religion were one and the same and the chief priest was also the chief scientist. In those days , scientific knowledge was couched in religious lore.
Over time , the two parted ways in what can be destcribed as a very nasty divorce.
Much of religious lore can still be found to be metaphors for scientific knowledge . I choose scientific rationalism because it can, now or in the future ,shed light on the many mysteries of existence, including souls, spirits, god, etc.

According to my own understanding, there is only one singularity , and that is Energy.
You can call it god or whatever suites you, buts its all energy. Everything is a manifestation of that energy. That energy pulsates and interacts with itself to create the different substances as well as all the various attributes of matter. So matter is energy and energy is matter. E=mc2
Energy manifests in different frequencies or octaves or phases, from the lowest crudeness or coarsness to the highest refinements. Every manifestation of energy have thresholds or boundaries of its own reality. Since all energy does is interect with itself, energy is constantly moving and changing from one boundary to another. The more refined the energy the easier and the more spaces it can move within.

Everything that exists has energy: manifest or latent. It is the ceaseless interaction of energy that leads to the differentiation of matter, the formation of organic matter and organic life.
what differentiates organic matter/life from non-organic matter is simply the concentration or the configuration of interacting energy.When this interraction reaches a certain , perhaps mathematic threshold, a new form of interactive and much more complex energy is formed. We call it consciousness. When consciousness continues the same manner of interactions,as it attracts more of its type from the universal energy grid, in time we get sentience and again over more time we, get self-awareness ,and finally, again at a ceratin mathematical or elecro-magnetic threshold, we draw a bigger chunk from the uniiversal energy grid and become living souls.

All these changes occur side by side and in synchronicity with physical evolution. in other words the body has to be synchronized to the type of high voltage energy unit that will animate it. Therefore, all living things , plant and animals have souls, they just have varying degrees of resonance or voltage or octaves.

It is assumed that humans , at least on this world, have the highest resonance or octave of energy. The seat or controling center of this energy is our brain. Our brain has been well adapted and well crafted by the forces of evolution to be the conduit between the boundaries of our physical reality and the universal energy grid that transcends what we know as space and time.
So our brain is tuned to recieve, transmit and intereact with cosmic energy wherever and whenever in the space time continuum.
For anology, consider the body as a block of ice, the spirit as drops of water that form when thw ice melts, the soul as the water vapor when the water evaporates to seek new space, and the mighty ocean as the universal energy grid from whence all water originates and to where all seek to return.

Energy cannot be destroyed but can only be converted from one form to another. So when the body expires , energy simply moves on to either merge with the original source and lose its identity , or, forms new configurations to continue its interactions. where the soul or energy goes probably would depend on how refined it is . the more refined would probably ascend to a higher octave or existence(heaven) and the less refined would probably descend to a lower octave or existence(hell).

Nothing ever dies. Life begets life. we eat dead plants and dead animals to nurish our bodies. We are simply tranfering the life force or energy from the dead plants or animals to add to our own energy resovoir, so to speak.
A piece of rock has no energy or life force to give you, thats why you dont eat rocks for dinner.

So my friends, the next time you find urself eating leg of chicken or goat or eating your salads, be sure to be thankful to the plants and animals that have willingly(or not) given their life force so that you may eat and live.
For those plants an animlas, its their cosmic mission fullfilled.
Re: Challenging The Theists. (god Believers, Pagans And Avatar Enthusiasts :-) by Nobody: 3:20pm On Feb 18, 2012
plaetton:

@Martian:
There was a time when science and religion were one and the same and the chief priest was also the chief scientist. In those days , scientific knowledge was couched in religious lore.
Over time , the two parted ways in what can be destcribed as a very nasty divorce.
Much of religious lore can still be found to be metaphors for scientific knowledge . I choose scientific rationalism because it can, now or in the future ,shed light on the many mysteries of existence, including souls, spirits, god, etc.

Those are all metaphysical "mysteries". All you're going to do is come up with more assumptions about what these things are. If you are going to add "science" to your rationalism you have to provide testable means of proving these mysteries. Besides, what you call a mystery is what I call wishful thinking influenced by religious dogma.

plaetton:

Energy manifests in different frequencies or octaves or phases,  from the lowest crudeness or coarsness to the highest refinements. Every manifestation of energy have thresholds or boundaries of its own reality. Since all energy does is interect with itself, energy is constantly moving and changing from one boundary to another. The more refined the energy the easier and the more spaces it can move within.

That would sound nice to a church congregation or some other spiritual gathering and some other people on this forum.

plaetton:

Everything that exists has energy: manifest or latent. It is the ceaseless interaction of energy that leads to the differentiation of matter, the formation of organic matter and organic life.
what differentiates organic matter/life  from non-organic  matter is simply the concentration or the configuration of interacting energy.When this interraction reaches a certain , perhaps mathematic threshold, a new form of interactive and much more complex energy is formed. We call it consciousness.

You've solved neuroscientists' greatest mystery.

plaetton:

When consciousness continues the same manner of interactions,as it attracts more of its type from the universal energy grid, in time we get sentience and again over more time we, get self-awareness ,and finally, again at a ceratin mathematical or elecro-magnetic threshold, we draw a bigger chunk from the uniiversal energy grid and become living souls.

Is the Universal Energy Grid (UEG) the same as Jenwitemi's Unified Quantum Field of Conciousness (UQFC) ?

plaetton:

It is assumed that humans , at least on this world, have the highest resonance  or octave of energy. The seat or controling center of this energy is our brain. Our brain has been well adapted and well crafted by the forces of evolution to be the conduit between the boundaries of our physical reality and the universal energy grid that transcends what we know as space and time.So our brain is tuned to recieve, transmit and intereact with cosmic energy wherever and whenever in the space time continuum.

Are our brains fined tune enough to interact with Gamma Rays?

plaetton:

For anology, consider the body as a block of ice, the spirit as drops of water that form when thw ice melts, the soul as the water vapor when the water evaporates to seek new space, and the mighty ocean as the universal energy grid from whence all water originates and to where all seek to return.

You should get together with Uyi iredia and you two should unify your analogies. Here is Uyi's.

Uyi Iredia:

plaetton:

Energy cannot be destroyed but can only be converted from one form to another. So when the body expires  , energy simply moves on to either merge with the original source and lose its identity , or, forms new configurations to continue its interactions. where the soul or energy goes probably would depend on how refined it is . the more refined would probably ascend to a higher octave or existence(heaven) and the less refined would probably descend to a lower octave or existence(hell).

Sometimes Hollywood remakes a movie from the 60's and 70's and try to make it modern. You are doing the same thing. Old christian beliefs about heaven and hell updated to include "higher octaves" and "refinement of energy".

plaetton:

Nothing ever dies. Life begets life. we eat dead plants and dead animals to nurish our bodies. We are simply tranfering the life force or energy from the dead plants or animals to add to our own energy resovoir, so to speak.
A piece of rock has no energy or life force to give you, thats why you dont eat rocks for dinner.
So my friends, the next time you find urself eating leg of chicken or goat or eating your salads, be sure to be thankful to  the plants and animals that have willingly(or not) given their life force so that you may eat and  live.
For those plants an animlas, its their cosmic mission fullfilled.

I don't thank the sun for providing almost ALL the energy we have on earth so why would i thank some unfortunate animal that ended up on my dinner plate?  There was no "cosmic mission" fulfilled, the chicken farm in Georgia is responsible.
Re: Challenging The Theists. (god Believers, Pagans And Avatar Enthusiasts :-) by Nobody: 3:26pm On Feb 18, 2012
plaetton:

The "Mighy Ocean" compared to the rest of the earth.

Re: Challenging The Theists. (god Believers, Pagans And Avatar Enthusiasts :-) by Nobody: 3:29pm On Feb 18, 2012
You can drown every human on the face of the earth in that little drop of water above and they won't be missed and the Universe will go on.

when people say they "KNOW" god, and that god made this universe with them in mind. I think, How arrogant and myopic, you people are insignificant!!
Re: Challenging The Theists. (god Believers, Pagans And Avatar Enthusiasts :-) by plaetton: 5:27pm On Feb 18, 2012
I am an athiests, so there is no christian perspective on what I have written, and also, have not stated them be absolute facts, just conjectures from the little we know about energy and how energy interacts. Quantum physics is new area that promises to show more light, mathematical and quantifiable knowledge ,about things that have , hitherto , been religated to the realms of spiritual and religious mysteries.
That was my main point.
I wonder why you need the protiens of dead animals to survive. If the proteins were as dead as the animals, of what use would it be to your body?.

Aside from gamma rays, we are exposed to a whole slew of both benign and harmful radiation from the sun and all over the universe. Do you deny this?

Studies have noticed a graphical corrolation between sun-spot radiation cycles and fertility, famine, wars and even the rise and fall of civilisations.

UEG or UQFC , doesn't matter.Dont be too hung up the nomencleture. A rose by any other name is still a rose.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Sarassin Versus Billyonaire / HELP, I Am Stuck In Life And I Think It Is Spiritual(cobweb) / Was Jesus Rich?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 174
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.