Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,826 members, 7,844,669 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 05:23 AM

Premium Times Video Of Okonjo-iweala’s Appearance Before House Finance Committe - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Premium Times Video Of Okonjo-iweala’s Appearance Before House Finance Committe (656 Views)

Soldiers Seek Trial Of Okonjo-Iweala And Dasuki Over Arms Deal / Buhari, Order Immediate Arrest Of Okonjo-Iweala & Emefiele - By Ilesanmi Omabomi / Reps Besiege Tambuwal's Homes To Lobby For Committe Appointment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Premium Times Video Of Okonjo-iweala’s Appearance Before House Finance Committe by NOIConnect(f): 2:34pm On Jan 08, 2014
FEDERAL MINISTRY OF FINANCE

News Release. January 8, 2013

PREMIUM TIMES VIDEO OF OKONJO-IWEALA’S APPEARANCE BEFORE HOUSE FINANCE COMMITTEE IS DOCTORED

It has come to our attention that the online news website, Premium Times has uploaded a doctored video of the last appearance of the Coordinating Minister for the Economy and Minister of Finance, Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala before the House of Representatives Committee on Finance.

The video is substantially different from the one which Channels TV independently recorded and uploaded which many Nigerians have seen.

The Premium Times video has been edited to leave out important aspects with the clear intention to make the Coordinating Minister look like the aggressor during the appearance. This is absolutely false.

Many aspects of the encounter which captured the provocation of the Chair of the Committee were edited out to give a wrong impression.

For instance, the new video left out his hostile statement “you can decide what happens only in the Federal Ministry of Finance and other ministers you coordinate but you cannot decide what will happen in the committee”.

This was after the minister indicated her willingness to answer the questions along with the Director General of the Budget Office of the Federation and the Accountant General of the Federation.

Also edited out, amongst others, was the unilateral banging of the gavel by the Chair of the Committee to abruptly terminate the proceedings and the astonished reactions of the audience.

Significantly, Premium Times did not identify the source of the video which it described as an “exclusive”.

The clear objective is to deceive Nigerians who were rightly outraged by the treatment meted out to the Minister. But we are confident that Nigerians are too wise to fall for this antic.

Below is the link to the authentic video account of the encounter as captured by Channels TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnU6FxLnni4&feature=player_embedded

Many thanks.

Paul C Nwabuikwu
Special Adviser to the Coordinating Minister and Minister of Finance

2 Likes

Re: Premium Times Video Of Okonjo-iweala’s Appearance Before House Finance Committe by Reptyle(m): 4:25pm On Jan 08, 2014
Dear Mr. Nwabuikwu,

I am glad you only claimed the Premium Times video was "edited to leave out important aspects" and not that the video is fake. I have watched both videos and must agree with you that several aspects seen on the Channels TV video where not shown on the Premium Times video. Having said that however, I like to point out to you that the PTimes video contained "certain other "important aspects" that show that madam Minister was not as victimized as she made out. It showed that Channels had equally edited their own video, leaving out "important aspects" that showed that the committee chairman showed the Minister respect, probably losing it when the Minister began to play to the gallery by trying to whip up unnecessary headlines.

Or else how do you explain a minister who showed up over an hour late for an appointment of such importance, jovially munched almost half a bottle of peanuts only to start complaining of ill-health when the session started. She pointedly and clearly told the committee that she would not be able to give 100 per cent and the committee offered to excuse her and she began to throw tantrums.

Mr Special Adviser, somewhere between those two videos lies the truth of what really transpired on that day. The committee chairman needs to learn to control his temper seeing that he holds such an exalted public office. But your principal also needs to stop been such a drama queen. She is not doing us a favour by holding that office and if the rigours become too much for her at any point, she is welcome to resign.

3 Likes

Re: Premium Times Video Of Okonjo-iweala’s Appearance Before House Finance Committe by Peinstein: 4:38pm On Jan 08, 2014
Reptyle: Dear Mr. Nwabuikwu,

I am glad you only claimed the Premium Times video was "edited to leave out important aspects" and not that the video is fake. I have watched both videos and must agree with you that several aspects seen on the Channels TV video where not shown on the Premium Times video. Having said that however, I like to point out to you that the PTimes video contained "certain other "important aspects" that show that madam Minister was not as victimized as she made out. It showed that Channels had equally edited their own video, leaving out "important aspects" that showed that the committee chairman showed the Minister respect, probably losing it when the Minister began to play to the gallery by trying to whip up unnecessary headlines.

Or else how do you explain a minister who showed up over an hour late for an appointment of such importance, jovially munched almost half a bottle of peanuts only to start complaining of ill-health when the session started. She pointedly and clearly told the committee that she would not be able to give 100 per cent and the committee offered to excuse her and she began to throw tantrums.

Mr Special Adviser, somewhere between those two videos lies the truth of what really transpired on that day. The committee chairman needs to learn to control his temper seeing that he holds such an exalted public office. But your principal also needs to stop been such a drama queen. She is not doing us a favour by holding that office and if the rigours become too much for her at any point, she is welcome to resign.

I commend your balanced comment. I have since learnt that in an argument, you can only know who is most wrong but seldom is a party entirely right.

1 Like

Re: Premium Times Video Of Okonjo-iweala’s Appearance Before House Finance Committe by Ngwakwe: 5:02pm On Jan 08, 2014
Reptyle: Dear Mr. Nwabuikwu,

Mr Special Adviser, somewhere between those two videos lies the truth of what really transpired on that day.

[s] She is not doing us a favour by holding that office and if the rigours become too much for her at any point, she is welcome to resign. [/s] Total rubbish

Between Channels TV and Premium Times, whose credibility and independence can we vouch for in this reportage?

For your information, it's not only channels tv that recorded the live telecast and it is a shame for you to apply negative logic by stating "between the Channels TV and Premium Times versions lies the truth", this statement is absolutely rubbish and shows your inability to judge between fair reporting from Channels Tv and Opposition (APC) mouthpiece Premium Times (a claim by cramjones/FFK).

The bone of contention is the ulterior motive inherent in the edited version by PT and whatever intents it was designed to accomplish which were rather deceitful, malicious, irresponsible and calculated to deceive the public through damage control.

Let the Independents read and judge between these salient points summarising the conversation during the proceedings.

However, the committee chairman told her that he had ruled, insisting that “you should provide written answers within two weeks, and we’ll invite you in January to appear before us. The 50 questions capture all at stake on the state of the economy.”

The minister responded: “I know you have ruled, but you have to hear me out. You haven’t allowed me to say something, and everybody is here seeing what is happening.

“With all due respect, I will not tell your committee that I’m feeling fine when I’m not. We have had good working relationship with your committee; I thought we’ll be treated with courtesy, but the way you’re starting is a bit disturbing,” she said.

It was at this point that Jibril walked the minister out of the meeting, saying: “You know I have ruled and if you don’t mind please excuse us. Members should stay behind for executive meeting. We don’t want any haphazard answers, so you can go honourable minister.”

But the minister insisted that “I will manage to answer the questions. I won’t answer you haphazardly. I know my health, and I assure you that I can answer you well along with my other colleagues here.”

The visibly angry chairman however responded: “I’m sorry Honourable Minister. You can only decide what happens in the Finance Ministry and Economy Committee and not in the House.”

The minister who was dismayed with the development said: “I have uttermost respect for the committee and expect same from you. I’m a minister of the Federal Republic. When you invite ministers, you should treat them with respect. We can’t be invited and be abused.”

1 Like

Re: Premium Times Video Of Okonjo-iweala’s Appearance Before House Finance Committe by mlane: 10:55pm On Jan 08, 2014
Premium Times has become the official mouthpiece of APC. I'm not surprised with the way they doctored the video.
Re: Premium Times Video Of Okonjo-iweala’s Appearance Before House Finance Committe by Ikengawo: 10:58pm On Jan 08, 2014
Chie. So this crude media lying is what APC thinks will convince Nigerians they are the party to trust and support?
I have never seen a group of men that know less about politics. ACN's only saving grace was the anger the yoruba people had at Obasanjo for capitalizing on the death of mko and the anger they had at the yoruba pdp governors. Now that APC is proving to be no different, what is remaining for them? Rochas Okorocha?

(1) (Reply)

Bomb Blast In Lagos On Wednesday Night. / When Will Our Leaders Ever Do One Right? Can't We Have A Code Like 911? / Traffic Robbery At Agboju / Mile2 Expressway

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.