Stats: 3,156,292 members, 7,829,668 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:17 AM

Your Child Says, "Daddy, Mommy, I'm Gay!" - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Your Child Says, "Daddy, Mommy, I'm Gay!" (7631 Views)

Photo: What Would You Do If You Came Home And Saw Your Child Like This!! / What Would You Do For Your Mommy This Mothers' Day / Mommy Has Quadruplets 3-years After She Had Triplets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Your Child Says, "Daddy, Mommy, I'm Gay!" by Seun(m): 10:12pm On Sep 02, 2005
Hello there,

For those of you who are married or planning to get married, I want to know what you'd do if your child comes home one day and announces "I thinkI'm gay".
Your girl says, "I'm attracted to other girls/women, and not men".
Your boy says, "I'm attracted to other boys/men, and not girls.".

How would you react? I want to know!
Re: Your Child Says, "Daddy, Mommy, I'm Gay!" by shockreaction(m): 8:21am On Sep 03, 2005
Lol, no idea how I'm going to deal with this. But, this isn't going to happen. My children are going to know to be attracted to the opposite sex right from when they start their lives outside my home smiley
Re: Your Child Says, "Daddy, Mommy, I'm Gay!" by hotangel2(f): 8:29am On Sep 03, 2005
If my child tells me he/she is gay/lesbian. I'll simply sit him/her down and ask her if s/he is serious. If that's what s/he wants, Be my guest and be gay/lesbian. I ain't stoping you.
Re: Your Child Says, "Daddy, Mommy, I'm Gay!" by Bibi(m): 8:31am On Sep 03, 2005
I wont know how to handle it...for now. At best, there will be a 3rd world war until "One man standing"
Re: Your Child Says, "Daddy, Mommy, I'm Gay!" by exu(m): 12:09pm On Sep 03, 2005
you can't stop your child from being gay...

if they are and you keep drumming it into them that it's wrong/disgusting then they will only end up hating you, or themselves, probably both...

a good parent loves their children no matter what...

a good parent teaches their children to learn to live with differences within people...
Re: Your Child Says, "Daddy, Mommy, I'm Gay!" by layi(m): 12:27pm On Sep 03, 2005
I'll try 3 things:
I'll set him/her up with a girl/guy
I'll send him or her to another state (change location)
I'll go spiritual.

If these doesnt work. I'll sit him/her down and talk sense into him.

the bottom line is. My child wont be homo while i'm breathing.

Re: Your Child Says, "Daddy, Mommy, I'm Gay!" by IAH(f): 1:18pm On Sep 03, 2005
I'm going to bring up my children in the way of the Lord so that can never happen.
Re: Your Child Says, "Daddy, Mommy, I'm Gay!" by hotangel2(f): 8:12pm On Sep 03, 2005
IAH:

I'm going to bring up my children in the way of the Lord so that can never happen.

haha... That's something. What if you brought him/her up that way and s/he decided not to stay that way?

Don't let no sexuality seperate you and your kids. Just love them for who they are.
Re: Your Child Says, "Daddy, Mommy, I'm Gay!" by Scorpio(f): 8:46pm On Sep 03, 2005
Right from birth, my kids would b anti-homo. if dat dosent work, no wahala; $50 n a trip to d nearest baba should sort out d mess, at least that would b a case where i won't feel guilty about going to c a native doctor!
Re: Your Child Says, "Daddy, Mommy, I'm Gay!" by WesleyanA(f): 8:48pm On Sep 03, 2005
you're going to train your kids to be anti-homo? undecided. . . . that's not nice.
Re: Your Child Says, "Daddy, Mommy, I'm Gay!" by ngoba(f): 8:57pm On Sep 03, 2005
well it's what he wants to be. i will be very sad but after some time i may have no choice. i think it will be harder for his father. in this day and age people are starting to tolerate gay people even better. very sad but not the endof the world
Re: Your Child Says, "Daddy, Mommy, I'm Gay!" by WesleyanA(f): 8:58pm On Sep 03, 2005
okie dokie. smiley
Re: Your Child Says, "Daddy, Mommy, I'm Gay!" by IAH(f): 8:58pm On Sep 03, 2005
hot-angel:

haha... That's something. What if you brought him/her up that way and s/he decided not to stay that way?

Don't let no sexuality seperate you and your kids. Just love them for who they are.

Ehn, why won't he/she stay that way? When he/she is not an animal. Even trained animals almost always stay that way. I won't give birth to bleating goats.
Re: Your Child Says, "Daddy, Mommy, I'm Gay!" by WesleyanA(f): 8:59pm On Sep 03, 2005
what if you do.. by accident. . . lipsrsealed
Re: Your Child Says, "Daddy, Mommy, I'm Gay!" by IAH(f): 9:00pm On Sep 03, 2005
WesleyanA:

what if you do.. by accident. . . lipsrsealed

What if I do what?
Re: Your Child Says, "Daddy, Mommy, I'm Gay!" by IAH(f): 9:02pm On Sep 03, 2005
Muhahahahahaha. Wesley, you are naughty! grin grin I just got what you were trying to say. Hahahahahaha...you are not serious at all.
Re: Your Child Says, "Daddy, Mommy, I'm Gay!" by Scorpio(f): 9:05pm On Sep 03, 2005
WesleyanA:

you're going to train your kids to be anti-homo? undecided. . . . that's not nice.

Not anti-homo to like cuss dem gayz out when they c them outside, but anti-homo for them not to mess around with ppl of d same sex as theirs!
Re: Your Child Says, "Daddy, Mommy, I'm Gay!" by WesleyanA(f): 9:44pm On Sep 04, 2005
okie dokie smiley
Re: Your Child Says, "Daddy, Mommy, I'm Gay!" by whiteshark(m): 2:03am On Sep 05, 2005
If ur kid comes up to u and say "Dad I am gay", there is nothing, I repeat absolutly nothing u can do about it except go down on ur knees and beg the almighty God to intervene and help out on an ugly situation... Simple eh!!! yeah lipsrsealed
Re: Your Child Says, "Daddy, Mommy, I'm Gay!" by kodewrita(m): 6:19pm On Sep 05, 2005
I will bring up my kids to love God and follow his commandments.

I will sit him/ her down and explain what my faith says about homosexuality (it condemns it severally and even says they won't enter heaven. verify by reading new testament.) I will then explain what would be the consequences of his actions.

Even paul had temptations and What the bible says is for you to recognize your temptations and not fall to them. he may be predisposed biologically towards his sex (there's no scientific proof of that) but if its hormonal WE WILL REMEDY IT. Otherwise if he/she decides to be so flagrant about it, i will do the prudent thing and FORGET I EVER KNEW HIM/HER.
Re: Your Child Says, "Daddy, Mommy, I'm Gay!" by whizkid(f): 12:19pm On Sep 06, 2005
I have always been a caring, loving respectful daughter. I didn't give my parents a heart attack or anything like that.  It is my belief that I shall be blessed with kids that possess all these virtues and more smiley.
Re: Your Child Says, "Daddy, Mommy, I'm Gay!" by Jio(m): 6:11am On Sep 07, 2005
I used to have a hatred for gays and lesbos until I worked for 2 months with an NGO that deals with sexuality...................We have to learn to accept it.............people are born gay but the over-religious and stigma loving country of ours stops these people from openly expressing their sexuality.......................but it won't be for long............................I've friends in naija over are openly displaying their lesbo side........................if my child isn't straight......................what the heck....................I'll always love that child no matter what...........................
Re: Your Child Says, "Daddy, Mommy, I'm Gay!" by layi(m): 10:15am On Sep 07, 2005
Jio:

.............people are born gay but t...............

Arrrgghhh. No body is born gay  angry Even biologist call us higher animals and i'm yet to see any animal that 'makes out' with its own sex except humans. Its biologically abnormal.
Re: Your Child Says, "Daddy, Mommy, I'm Gay!" by emmlaura(m): 11:15am On Sep 07, 2005
when my child comes home and say daddy i'm gay, the one thing to do is sit down and talk to the boy/girl, not talking to him/her on being anti-homo or something, but geting him/her to understand what him/her will go through on sociatal and religious basis as a gay person. dont have
Re: Your Child Says, "Daddy, Mommy, I'm Gay!" by layi(m): 11:32am On Sep 07, 2005
emmlaura:

when my child comes home and say daddy i'm gay, the one thing to do is sit down and talk to the boy/girl, not talking to him/her on being anti-homo or something, but geting him/her to understand what him/her will go through on sociatal and religious basis as a gay person. don't have

Societal? religious? Hell No! Do they give a damn. Do u think u'ld gettin anything out of that? You are like telling them to plz other people (which is worse). Methinks that wont change d mind of someone who's already gay.
Re: Your Child Says, "Daddy, Mommy, I'm Gay!" by Scorpio(f): 5:02pm On Sep 07, 2005
C a baba, dat'll help; his/her mind will b totally turned off towards ppls of d same sex. smiley
Re: Your Child Says, "Daddy, Mommy, I'm Gay!" by kodewrita(m): 3:47pm On Sep 08, 2005
Jio:

I used to have a hatred for gays and lesbos until I worked for 2 months with an NGO that deals with sexuality...................We have to learn to accept it.............people are born gay but the over-religious and stigma loving country of ours stops these people from openly expressing their sexuality.......................but it won't be for long............................I've friends in Nigeria over are openly displaying their lesbo side........................if my child isn't straight......................what the heck....................I'll always love that child no matter what...........................

NGOs display the mindset of their founders. Some support terrorism and some support the display of such despicable tendencies. There is nothing over-religious about being against homosexualism. if your religion is against it, and you are a true follower then you have to be against it. We are mainly xtians and muslims and we are against it, I don't see why we should change that to suit current vices. As to whether it won't be for long, that might be true in lagos but go into the interior where less westernised people live and tell me if the neighbourhood OPC or other people will not nearly lynch you. The fact is that the west is tolerant of so many vices all in the name of democracy. i like nigeria as it is and if it is in my power to keep it so I will (and i believe the same goes for many people.)
Re: Your Child Says, "Daddy, Mommy, I'm Gay!" by tunku(m): 5:30pm On Sep 19, 2005
I see that the division in the sand so to speak has to do with where people are posting from.

I do agree that Nigerians are very homophobic. Heck when I was living there I didn't know that such things as homosexuals exists and when I began living abroad it took a long time for me to accept that yes there are homosexual people in Nigeria. It wasn't until three years ago when I returned to Nigeria did the thought enter my mind that the most populous nation in Africa is bound ot have homosexuals and lesbians.

Being gay is not a lifestyle people choose, its nature, I have always feared gays even though I didn't know any for the majority of my life on earth. Then I realize that its an unreasonable fear that is neither logical nor healthy. I am much more accepting of gays and homosexuals but I won't say that I am not without my prejudice.

Some will say that living in the west has changed my world view and they are right. The simple truth of the matter is that no one in Nigeria talks about gays and if someone is gay I doubt that God is going to magically change that person into being heterosexual because if we are to go the religious route and accept God's decision, wasn't it his choice to make that person that way to begin with?

Having said that I would be much more accepting of a gay offspring but it would be hard to hide my disappointment, but it is a fairer and more realistic solution to say praying that they change or disowning them outright.
Re: Your Child Says, "Daddy, Mommy, I'm Gay!" by cushman(m): 5:46pm On Sep 19, 2005
If my kid comes up to me and say "Dad, i'm gay". well..., that's the last word that he/she will utter.
Re: Your Child Says, "Daddy, Mommy, I'm Gay!" by Scorpio(f): 6:41pm On Sep 19, 2005
cheesy cheesy
Re: Your Child Says, "Daddy, Mommy, I'm Gay!" by kamakula: 8:18pm On Sep 28, 2005
. . . reverse question - what if your kid says to you, "I am straight" and you try to force them to date other ppl of the same sex. . . how do you expect your child to react?
Re: Your Child Says, "Daddy, Mommy, I'm Gay!" by hotangel2(f): 8:36pm On Sep 28, 2005
I espect her/him to react just the way s/he wants to react.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Why You Should Not Marry A Girl Below 25 Years Of Age / My Hatred For My Father / Opening A Home Day Care( Advice Pls)