Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,824 members, 7,820,901 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:14 AM

Nmaku(chants) In Igboland. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nmaku(chants) In Igboland. (3469 Views)

Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland / Daybreak In Udi: An Exposé Of British Colonization Schemes In Igboland / The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nmaku(chants) In Igboland. by OdenigboAroli(m): 3:50am On Jan 09, 2014
Nmaku(Chants) is a very essential part of Igbo culture and spirituality; Nmaku is used in performing incantation,at burial,in leading a masqurade out,during Nze na Ozo,festivals and more. It awakens the spirits of the land,energises and motivates masqurade bearers and members.
A certain incident took place in 1988 in my village during the burial of one titled man in my village. We had just returned from Jos for the burial and it was my first time in the village. During the commencement of the burial mourners had gathered,villagers and relatives were all present but the burial couldn't start because the lead mourner(onye nkanu ozu) hasn't arrived. So,people waited and it was getting dark and late. The elders were running out of patience and they decided to appoint somebody else but nobody would do it because one need to have the gift of saying chants to be able to do it. Finally,my mother voluntered to mourn the man! My father was upset about it but relatives thought it was humble of her. She walks into the burial house,sat on the floor instead of the mourners chair and pour her heart out in chants,cries and tears. My mother chanted until most people that came for the burial grew in pain and started crying. Another incident took place just recently during my return for my wedding. I hadn't been home for over half a decade and my family anxiously expected me. I finally hit my ancestral home on an quiet evening and shout of joy filled the air as people trouped in to catch a glimpse of "Nwa aru egwu" as my mother is called. Nwanyi ego,an elderly woman who is famous for her gift of singing has gotten much older since the last time I saw her. The elderly women crawled in with her walking stick to see "ogbatali nwanyi na egwu" as she would call me during my time with the famous masqurade in my village called "ebube dike". My sister sighted her and I went outside the house to meet her. She saw me,dropped her walking stick and fixed her palms on her waist and busted in chants,melodies and exclamations. On hearing Nwanyiego,my mother came outside of the house and reciprocated her with some of her dose. People stood in awe and were highly entertained. I dished in few wise sayings as she hugged me with her feeble body.
The motive of this thread is for us to display and share our traditional ancient chants,give their meaning and in doing so I believe we should be doing a lot to promote the Igbo culture.
I will be coming soon to set the stage rolling with my "okilingba". Deme nu Umu-Igbo.

2 Likes

Re: Nmaku(chants) In Igboland. by bigfrancis21: 10:51am On Jan 09, 2014
Wow. This is lovely!
Re: Nmaku(chants) In Igboland. by ladionline: 11:52am On Jan 09, 2014
This is beautiful and dramatic. Bring more resource in please.
Re: Nmaku(chants) In Igboland. by ladionline: 11:55am On Jan 09, 2014
This is beautiful and dramatic. Bring more resource in please. When we engage tradition, secret will reveal itself to us. Will add little from the book Igbo language and culture.

1 Like

Re: Nmaku(chants) In Igboland. by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:27pm On Jan 09, 2014
Guys,am a little busy but I will hit the ground running,soon.

Eje m' Igwulube Okodu nne mulu m'...Nmili manyulu oku...Umunne gbata nu oso na ife nkili gbalu....be back. I have hundreds of chants and melodies to share with you.

1 Like

Re: Nmaku(chants) In Igboland. by johnchukky: 2:06am On May 02, 2016
Bros please I am an igbo English student at the univerzity Of Benin. I will appreciate if you are able to share some chants with me for my field work

(1) (Reply)

Ritual Prayers With Nzu, Myrrh And Frankincense / How To Greet The 3 Tribes In Akwa Ibom State / African American Woman Dating American-born Nigerian Man--can It Work?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.