Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,827 members, 7,810,173 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:29 PM

Open Letter To Critics Of Yaya Toure's CAF African Footballer Of 2013 Award - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Open Letter To Critics Of Yaya Toure's CAF African Footballer Of 2013 Award (684 Views)

2014 CAF African Women's Championship - Namibia 2014 / Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 / Top 10 Nigerian Players Of 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Open Letter To Critics Of Yaya Toure's CAF African Footballer Of 2013 Award by dejahvu(m): 10:10am On Jan 10, 2014
I know a lot of Nigerians are upset about the award after expecting John Obi Mikel going ahead to say he was cheated and that the award is politics but as far as I'm concerned this is one of the fairest CAF African Footballer of the Year. Let's look at the excuses most people that are for Mikel are given and let me make my analysis.
Mikel won African Cup of Nations
Mikel won the UEFA Europa League
Mikel won UEFA Champions League
Let's start with the UEFA Champions League
If I can understand the award clearly it says CAF African Footballer of the Year 2013; Chelsea won the champions league in 2012 so a players performance should not reflect for 2013 talking about performance, how will you rate Mikel's performance in the Champions league that year will he fall among the top 3 Chelsea players in the 2012 UEFA champions league? Are you telling me he performed more than Drogba, Ramires and Mata that year?
Next point UEFA Europa League 2013?
First of all I don't think great players pride on Europa League it is a competition for clubs that failed to make it to top 3/4 as the case may be in their domestic league and compensation for top clubs that disappointed their fans and failed to make it to the round of 16 in the UEFA Champions league how will you feel as a fan if you see Messi and Christiano runing arnd in the Europa league? Why is Arsenal always celebrating each time they end up making it to the top 4 and escape playing the Europa League. Looking at the statistics again I didn't see anywhere Mikel's name came up even in the Most Fouls commited list which had Ramires.
AFCON 2013 (African Cup of Nations)
Let's go straight to the statistics for individual performances
Player of the Tournament - Jonathan Pitroipa
Tournament Top Scorer -Emmanuel Emenike
Fair Player of the Tournament - Victor Moses
Goal of the Tournament - Youssef Msakni
I won't recognise the fact that Mikel made the team of the tournament so was Ambrose,Moses,Emenike and Enyeama who holds the record for minutes kept with Clean Sheet if we are to go by AFCON 2013 then citizens of Burkina Faso own the right to protest the Award due to the fact that the best player of AFCON 2013 didn't even make it to the top 3 as well as an Unsung Hero that goes by the name of Onazi. Who does the a lot of Midfield dirty work but is underated. Mikel was not the best Super Eagles player at AFCON so that does not give him an Edge over Toure.
Now let's go back to club football which is the most played and that's where you have opportunity to display your talent as a result of many games played.
I can't remember the last time Mikel played 10 straight games for 90 minutes in 2013 or rather started 10 games straight. You can be the best and be sharing your playing time on the bench for coach that supports black players and loves work rate. Chelsea will do very well even if Mikel is not playing but you can't say that about Toure in Man-City he commands his position without rivalry let's face it if Chelsea is to sign Yaya Toure this January he will break into their first team right away and Mikel will still be on the bench infact there is no team in football now that will seat Yaya Toure on the bench. You can as well google clips of Toure and Mikel on the internet and I assure you majority of Mikel's clips will be clips of him passing the ball to his defence line. Mikel is good but Toure is better, he needs to step up his game as a matter of factthere was a time in soccer when an argument would surface between Messi and Mikel who is better but even a mad man now can never bring up that argument now cos Mikel has refused to up his game and has remain stagnant. Mikel didn't make the FIFA 23 man list of 2013 but Yaya made it. Both of them play in the Premiership but I don't if they are to make a list of best players in premiership now Mikel will come ahead of Yaya toure and now lemme quote a certain Djangocode in www.nairaland.com on his personal comparism of Yaya Toure and John Obi Mikel and I concur
Consistency - Yaya
Defence splitting passes -Yaya
Shots - Yaya
Goals - Yaya
Hold up Play - Yaya
DMF Role - Mikel
CMf, AMF - Yaya
Dribbles,Movement - Yaya
Aerial Threat - Yaya
Set Piece Threat - Yaya
Team Stat - Yaya = 90% contribution
Team Stat - Mikel = 35% contribution
How come people No Nigerian are saying Mikel deserves CAF African Best Player
Yaya is the best black midfielder in the world a Beast in the midfield.
The sad thing is if they continue with their present form Yaya Toure is going to win the CAF African Best Player of the Year 2014...let's stop celebrating mediocrity in Nigeria and it will make our nation great
Re: Open Letter To Critics Of Yaya Toure's CAF African Footballer Of 2013 Award by yamunla(m): 10:20am On Jan 10, 2014
letter tins
Re: Open Letter To Critics Of Yaya Toure's CAF African Footballer Of 2013 Award by dejahvu(m): 10:26am On Jan 10, 2014
Na wetin dey reign now oh
Re: Open Letter To Critics Of Yaya Toure's CAF African Footballer Of 2013 Award by Nobody: 11:55am On Jan 10, 2014
9ice 1!!
Re: Open Letter To Critics Of Yaya Toure's CAF African Footballer Of 2013 Award by teniola55(m): 12:11pm On Jan 10, 2014
Re: Open Letter To Critics Of Yaya Toure's CAF African Footballer Of 2013 Award by cotzywitzy(m): 4:20pm On Jan 10, 2014
Your head dey there... Mikel is no match for Yaya ..if not for Song who left EPL with that great form ... mikel would have no.chance at all...

(1) (Reply)

Alfredo Di Stefano Dies At 88 / 5 Highest Paid Football Players (per Week) / It Is So Difficult To Win At Old Traford!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.