Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,139 members, 7,821,892 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:00 PM

Why Mikel Is Restricted At Chelsea But Florishes With The Super Eagles - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Why Mikel Is Restricted At Chelsea But Florishes With The Super Eagles (569 Views)

Rooney Is Coming To Chelsea, But The Condition Is One Top Player Must Be Sold / Loved At Chelsea And Hated In Spain: Is Mourinho Right? / Why Mikel Obi Does Not Score For Chelsea (An Explanation With a Picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Mikel Is Restricted At Chelsea But Florishes With The Super Eagles by thegoodjoehunt(m): 7:57pm On Jan 10, 2014
[b]Coach Keshi said Mikel obeys instructions.

Many don't understand how difficult is it to keep order in a chaotic sport like Football. At Chelsea, Mikel has always been the easy target like Guus Hiddink dropping Mikel at the second leg against Barcelona Chelsea lost in Guardiola's first season.

After the first leg where Mikel played well, Guus dropped Mikel and played Essien. Barca were exceptional attacking and being tidy in defence was crucial. Yet Essien scored a lovely goal. Later instead of sending Mikel to secure the win, Guus sent in Belletti who instead of defending went to try to score. Barca capitalized on the room created in midfield and Iniesta sent Chelsea packing.

Mikel's statement about David Luis explains this better:

After the 3-1 victory over Monterey of Mexico in the semi finals, Mikel questioned Benitez’s playing of centreback David Luiz in midfield. Mikel had said that he was not expecting to be playing alongside the Brazilian in central midfield and pointed out that when the game started, things got a bit confusing.

Mikel said: “It was a bit of a shock to see David lining up there and I said to him, as we got on to the pitch Where shall I play?’ He said he’d play the holding role and that I should go forward and I said OK but when the game started, I looked up and he was already up the end of the pitch.” (Going to score).

“David is a great player but I don’t know if this is going to be a long-term thing. It was a good performance from him because he kept the ball well and played it well but when it’s not your normal position, you sometimes lose something.”

Benitez dropped Mikel for the finals and lost 3-1 to Pauliho's Corinthians.

While at the Super Eagles, the defensive brilliance and tidiness of Onazi gives Mikel the room to blossom.

So the zealous nature of Chelsea midfielders have really made a disciplined player like Mikel not blossom because he has to stay back to clean up the mess of Chelsea players.

Congrats to Mikel for his runner up position at the CAF AFRICAN FOOTBALLER OF THE YEAR. CONGRATS TO YAYA TOURE TOO.

Expecting bigger achievements from Mikel this year.

Yaya help THE CITIZENS beat Barca at the Champions league and win City some titles.

#TeamMikel
#TeamSuperEagles
#TeamCitizens.[/b]

(1) (Reply)

EPL:Chelsea vs Manchester City on Sept 30th @ 5:30pm / Liverpool Vs Manchester Oct 14 12:30pm / All Eyez On Manchester City

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.