Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,903 members, 7,835,014 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:51 AM

Fist Fighting Nigerian Ambassador ! - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Fist Fighting Nigerian Ambassador ! (995 Views)

Xenophobia: South Africa Condemns Nigeria's Decision To Recall Its Ambassador / South Africa's ANC Calls Israeli Ambassador To Leave The Country / Nigerian Ambassador to Kenya runs amok and brutalizes Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fist Fighting Nigerian Ambassador ! by nairafan: 3:48pm On Aug 11, 2008
Is it not enuf shame when senators do it in the country.   Now outside the borders too!!!!!!

THE Nigerian High Commissioner to Namibia, His Excellency Ambassador Prince Adegboyega Christopher Ariyo, shocked guests when he initiated a fistfight at a high profile gala dinner, attended by Namibian and Nigerian dignitaries for business networking.
The fight at the gala dinner turned boxing match, erupted when Ambassador Ariyo physically booted fellow Nigerian citizen and Windhoek resident, Debo Agunbiyi, from the Safari Hotel and Conference Centre last Wednesday, claiming that he was not invited.
Efforts by Agunbiyi to explain to the Ambassador that co-organiser of the event, the Association of Nigerians in Namibia, had invited him to the function, proved fruitless. Seething with anger, the Ambassador allegedly grabbed Agunbiyi pushed him to the floor and pinned him down whilst pummelling him.
Stunned guests including officials from the Namibian Ministries of Finance, Information and Technology and Education, and their Nigerian counterparts including Nigerian State Governors, watched in disbelief as Embassy Staff rushed to pull their Ambassador off Agunbiyi.
Despite being overpowered by the combined efforts of His Excellency Prince Ariyo and the Embassy staff, Agunbiyi managed to throw a few punches into the air before fleeing the scene.
Ambassador Ariyo confirmed that he kicked Agunbiyi, whom he recognised as a Nigerian citizen at the event, claiming that he had been in the wrong place.
“I had important people including Ambassadors at the event, and I could not keep him. This was an event organised by the High Commission and I made provisions for only 80 people, and he was not invited,” he said.
An official of the Association of Nigerians in Namibia, who witnessed the incident, confirmed that Agunbiyi was invited.
“For the first time, I hate being a Nigerian – and for the Ambassador and Embassy staff to physically remove me from the event – shame on them,” Agunbiyi fumed.
Agunbiyi said he attended the event ‘not for fun but rather to network and check on opportunities available.
“What’s wrong with a Nigerian attending an event organised using Nigerian taxpayer’s money. Is my Embassy, an institution that’s supposed to protect me, now telling me that I cannot meet with my fellow citizens?”
The following Thursday when Agunbiyi went to the Windhoek Police Station to report the case, he said that the police turned him away claiming that the Ambassador enjoys diplomatic immunity and therefore cannot be prosecuted.
This is not the first time Ambassador Ariyo has caused public embarrassment for his country. In an earlier Informanté exposé, he was reported as one of the ‘dozing diplomats and politicians’ during President Hifikepunye Pohamba’s important and legislated State of the Nation address to Parliament.
Before going to press there were several attempts by the victim, Agunbiyi , and officials of the Association of Nigerians in Namibia to gag the story. They claimed that an urgent meeting with the Ambassador was held where ‘the matter has been solved’.

[url] http://www.informante.web.na:8080/informante/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2481&Itemid=44
Re: Fist Fighting Nigerian Ambassador ! by MrCrackles(m): 3:51pm On Aug 11, 2008
What a tout! grin
Re: Fist Fighting Nigerian Ambassador ! by darfur(m): 5:19pm On Aug 11, 2008
nigeria cry cry cry cry
Re: Fist Fighting Nigerian Ambassador ! by Mustay(m): 5:28pm On Aug 11, 2008
He perhaps was vexing after seeing the Nigerian boxer pummeled at the Olympics by a Ghanaian
Re: Fist Fighting Nigerian Ambassador ! by SeanT21(f): 10:57pm On Aug 11, 2008
Haha. I wish i was there to see it.
Re: Fist Fighting Nigerian Ambassador ! by c33b33(m): 2:10pm On Aug 12, 2008
lma0!!who screened the ambassador?no be the same people wey dey compete for SENATE HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION?wonders sha never end!!!
Re: Fist Fighting Nigerian Ambassador ! by idupaul: 2:15pm On Aug 12, 2008
hehehehe, so funny, the guy must have been a bouncer b4 becoming an ambassador.

(1) (Reply)

Obama's Vietnam:how Obama Lost His Chance In Afghanistan / Sign The Pledge To Help Us Bring Kony To Justice In 2012 / Desmond Tutu's Despicable Behavior At Mandela's Funeral

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.