Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,983 members, 7,817,902 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:23 PM

Reps Discover N400bn In Hidden Accounts - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reps Discover N400bn In Hidden Accounts (2844 Views)

Buhari Approves N400bn For Workers’ Salaries / ASUU Strike: Jonathan Approves N400bn Lifeline –SSANU / Infrastructure Bank To Fund N400bn Lagos Rail Project (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reps Discover N400bn In Hidden Accounts by funloving(m): 8:03am On Aug 12, 2008
HOUSE of Representatives on Monday said that over N400 billion unspent funds from the 2008 budget was discovered to have been deposited in hidden accounts by some Federal Government parastatal agencies.

The funds, the House said, were from revenues generated by the parastatal agencies.
The House Committee on Finance is currently probing numerous agencies of government over non-remittance of revenues into the Federation Account, saying it was on the trail of the Petroleum Products Pricing Regulatory Authority (PPPRA) over the controversial issue of N70 subsidy on diesel whereas the product was never deregulated, otherwise it shouldn’t have sold for around N140 at filling stations.

The committee, which accused the authorities of the PPPRA of deliberately not honouring the invitation of the probe panel, said it was also trailing the agency over the refusal to comply with former President Olusegun Obasanjo’s directive that a tax of N1.50 should not be charged on every litre of imported petrol.

Deputy Chairman, Committee on Finance, Honourable John Daika, disclosed to newsmen that the ongoing investigation of revenue generating agencies and parastatal agencies of government revealed that affected bodies never remitted all the funds expected of them to the Federation Account and yet, they came to ask for money in the budget every year.

According to Daika, the nation was losing over a trillion naira on account of the said subsidies and the non-compliance by the PPPRA with the presidential directive on the non-charging of N1.50 tax on every litre of petrol.

“We are looking for the PPPRA and they have refused to come. What we are doing now is to invite the minister of finance, NNPC, Accountant-General of the Federation, Director-General, Budget, the PPPRA and the oil majors as well as the CBN at the same time because the oil importers are saying that no subsidies have been paid to them or do they have any tax holiday,” he said.
The lawmaker said that it was observed that the huge money was going into private account not known to anybody.

The chairman also said the laws establishing most of the revenue-generating agencies allowed them to make money, keep and spend it, but did not stop them from coming to ask for money from the national budget year in, year out.

Daika queried a situation whereby the Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA) would generate N10 billion on yearly basis, but only be permitted to pay just N25 million to the CBN as its contribution to the Federation Account, declaring that the port concessioning had not benefited Nigeria in any way.

“As far as I am concerned, the ports concessioning exercise has never benefited the country in any way. NPA is supposed to be remitting more funds into the Federation Accounts because it no longer pays staff salaries, but the reverse is the case. The NPA still looks up to the government for the dredging of River Niger by the government. What exactly are they doing with the revenue they are generating?” he queried.

“I believe certain government agencies were established just to enrich some privileged individuals. The situation is so bad and annoying.

“We are going to invite the minister, CBN and Accountant-General of the Federation to come and tell us how they arrived at that ridiculous amount,” he said, insisting that the said laws were churned out to ensure that some private pockets were filled to the detriment of Nigerians.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/12082008/news/news2.html
Re: Reps Discover N400bn In Hidden Accounts by funloving(m): 8:04am On Aug 12, 2008
I really, really, weep for this country.
What exactly is wrong with us ?
Re: Reps Discover N400bn In Hidden Accounts by vigasimple(m): 11:14am On Aug 12, 2008
funloving:

I really, really, weep for this country.
What exactly is wrong with us ?

CORRUPTION CORRUPTION CORRUPTION

from FOETUS to THE OLDEST PERSON IN THE COUNTRY. The have no put it in everyone DNA.

We need a submitt on tackling corruption( if the organiser will not steal the money for the programm)

Until we find a workable and effective solution to corruption we will simply be going in circle.

However, the only reason we are able to discuss and investigate and find stolen founds is because of democracy as in civilian administration however imperfect it is. I believe IBB is the most corrupt Nigeria possibly follow by Abacha and OBJ is not too far beheind but there are other leaders who are subtle or clever with their corruption and not got notice.

One day is for Nigeria, everyday so far as being for the corrupt leadership. Nigeria and Nigerians our day is coming very soon as the Lord Liveth.
Re: Reps Discover N400bn In Hidden Accounts by dudubobo1: 1:28pm On Aug 12, 2008
It's typical NAIJA.
Everyone wants to steal money because that's the only way to get positive recognition from the masses, even it means throws the same stupid masses into further poverty.
Re: Reps Discover N400bn In Hidden Accounts by Nobody: 5:45pm On Aug 12, 2008
vigasimple:

However, the only reason we are able to discuss and investigate and find stolen founds is because of democracy as in civilian administration however imperfect it is. I believe IBB is the most corrupt Nigeria possibly follow by Abacha and OBJ is not too far beheind but there are other leaders who are subtle or clever with their corruption and not got notice.

I contest that, the only reason you are hearing about this is probably cos the Chiarman was not give his own 'cut'. Wait for a fwe days for them to arrive at a 'settlement' and that will be the last you'll hear of that incident.
Re: Reps Discover N400bn In Hidden Accounts by ifyalways(f): 5:48pm On Aug 12, 2008
Ujujoan:

I contest that, the only reason you are hearing about this is probably because the Chiarman was not give his own 'cut'. Wait for a fwe days for them to arrive at a 'settlement' and that will be the last you'll hear of that incident.
Gbam ! ! !
chop i chop=No leakage cheesy
chop alone,die alone cheesy
which way forward?
Re: Reps Discover N400bn In Hidden Accounts by sherrylo: 6:45pm On Aug 12, 2008
Word oooo, chop I chop, no yawa. chop I no chop, problem deyyooo!.NIGERIAAAAA.
Re: Reps Discover N400bn In Hidden Accounts by Nobody: 7:33pm On Aug 12, 2008
I have a dream, i have a dream , vote for big modo 2011, then there would true democracy in nigeria
Re: Reps Discover N400bn In Hidden Accounts by samir101ng(m): 11:08pm On Aug 12, 2008
Why ? So that you can also go and chop money from your countrymen. See me see wahala.
Re: Reps Discover N400bn In Hidden Accounts by AloyEmeka9: 11:17pm On Aug 12, 2008
otioooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Re: Reps Discover N400bn In Hidden Accounts by Nobody: 11:49pm On Aug 12, 2008
communism will be better for nigeria!
Re: Reps Discover N400bn In Hidden Accounts by LiquidMind(m): 11:52pm On Aug 12, 2008
When the root or the foundation of a nation is corrupt, you will notice that all its fruits and branches is infected too.

That is what we are seeing in Nigeria today.
Re: Reps Discover N400bn In Hidden Accounts by Nobody: 11:54pm On Aug 12, 2008
we need military,idiagbon i wish ur spirit can come back to earth
Re: Reps Discover N400bn In Hidden Accounts by tyna1(f): 12:00am On Aug 13, 2008
Soloreal,military comeback is not the solution.
Re: Reps Discover N400bn In Hidden Accounts by Nobody: 12:03am On Aug 13, 2008
@tyna1,our leaders are full of lies, alll need to be wiped out.from president to village councillor
Re: Reps Discover N400bn In Hidden Accounts by blissfullynaughty: 3:47am On Aug 13, 2008
Things like this make me fume.
Re: Reps Discover N400bn In Hidden Accounts by bonebaba(m): 7:53am On Aug 13, 2008
there's nothing we can about it, na only God fit help us, amen
Re: Reps Discover N400bn In Hidden Accounts by MrCrackles(m): 8:55am On Aug 13, 2008
Na to chop the money wey some people go dey plan right now

To use funds like that to improve the nation with a visible positive impact, NA LIE!fingers crossed
Re: Reps Discover N400bn In Hidden Accounts by Nobody: 9:17am On Aug 13, 2008
Re: Reps Discover N400bn In Hidden Accounts by NaijaEcash(m): 9:42am On Aug 13, 2008
Insatiable thieves, they never stop cry
Re: Reps Discover N400bn In Hidden Accounts by seunbballo(m): 10:16am On Aug 13, 2008
Make una come see the way their pickin them, dey enjoy this money 4 abroad with plenty houses worth millions of Pounds. Una go weep 4 Nigeria. Greedy Bastards wey God na him go physically destroy their Generations. Amen
Re: Reps Discover N400bn In Hidden Accounts by yemo(m): 12:24pm On Aug 13, 2008
maybe george bush should just send a nuke to Nigeria like Hiroshima and make inhabitable for the next 100 years since we become unredeemable.
may God help us
Re: Reps Discover N400bn In Hidden Accounts by angel101(f): 12:25pm On Aug 13, 2008
i think the problem is too much bureaucracy it makes checks and balances diff (that is if anyone is interested in checking and balancing lol)
Re: Reps Discover N400bn In Hidden Accounts by ogb5(m): 12:37pm On Aug 13, 2008
humans everywhere commit crime. The difference is what happens to the criminals when they are caught.

What do you think will happen to these culprits?

Well Nothing
So others will continue stealing
Re: Reps Discover N400bn In Hidden Accounts by Maxidoe(m): 12:44pm On Aug 13, 2008
Nigeria is a studio where films are acted.It is a shame when you hear how this fucking cursed and retarded imbeciles ruling us,it is a shame and disgrace to this nation,i don't know how we are going to get rid of all this past and present leaders.
Re: Reps Discover N400bn In Hidden Accounts by emmydee(m): 2:18pm On Aug 13, 2008
even when people are being probed, people are also stealing!

Why is the government so corrupt. May be, we should involve death penalty. 400B. oh my nation, Nigeria!
Re: Reps Discover N400bn In Hidden Accounts by adewale78(m): 2:43pm On Aug 13, 2008
There is one thing that i believe about all the Panel that is beinbg setupn and that is they are there to witch hunted those that didn't SETTLE them.What about the POWER probe what is happening with that one ? undecided. Money has greese some panel member hands cry
Re: Reps Discover N400bn In Hidden Accounts by ozigbo(m): 3:58pm On Aug 13, 2008
my God help us in this country.
Re: Reps Discover N400bn In Hidden Accounts by freshmoney(m): 5:37pm On Aug 13, 2008
All of una, if you were given 10million naira each as a gift from Bode George , you no go follow am? We need good governance,perhaps via military men or educated people, that is, people with at least Phd degree would be voted for and those ugly things would be wiped out.Whats ur opinion peeps?
Re: Reps Discover N400bn In Hidden Accounts by seunbballo(m): 6:06pm On Aug 13, 2008
@fresh money, a lot of them are educated except majority of Hausas who study 4 college and get yeye qualification. The solution is 2 carry poor man wey don suffer and know how it is 2 suffer. The Poor man go surprise una!
Re: Reps Discover N400bn In Hidden Accounts by cooldudeng(m): 6:13pm On Aug 13, 2008
Just like like Tai Solarin(May God rest is Soul) once said, this corruption won't stop until we kill everybody above the age of 5yrs. Tell me what's the possibility of that happening. It wont happen,  i believe the only way we can put a check on this corruption issue is if we made our Laws stricter. It's only in a lawless country that crime will strive, cos i strongly believe our country is lawless See the like of OBJ, Atiku, IBB etc. they still work our streets
Re: Reps Discover N400bn In Hidden Accounts by donugapi(m): 10:30am On Aug 14, 2008
Its just so sad the generation of our fathers have failed us upcoming nigerians. Its up to us to try to stop this evil. It all begins with the individual. If every nigerian decides to shun every corrupt act, nothing stop nigeria from movin forward.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Youth Lunch With Jonathan Turns Into Another Bribe-Fest / Nigerians & Ghanaian Arrested In South Africa For Fraud (video) / Pictures Of Onitsha?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.