Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,430 members, 7,812,275 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:00 AM

Ever Heard Of Contract Employment? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Ever Heard Of Contract Employment? (1386 Views)

The Menace Of Contract Jobs In Nigeria Today / Law Of Contract,agency,hire Purchase And Sale Og Goods / Salary Of Contract Staff In First Bank? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ever Heard Of Contract Employment? by barakah(m): 12:49pm On Aug 12, 2008
Anybody heard of contract employment?
I have and i think its a terrible thing to be involved in.
For those who don't know its a set up where you have two bosses.
One is your employer while the other is the employer of your employer.
Your remuneration is paid from hand to hand and before it gets to you alot of cuts would have been done and you end up with one small percentage.
No fringe benefits are involved,no upfronts,no insurance nothing.
What do you think?
Re: Ever Heard Of Contract Employment? by nosarakins(m): 9:22am On Aug 13, 2008
it is hell working as a contract staff, you will face a lot of discrimination, i a contract staff in one of the old generation bank and i know i am going through with take home of 30k and B.Sc i believe nig. govt. and NLC shd do something about it. it is working like an elephant and eating like ant.
Re: Ever Heard Of Contract Employment? by MrCrackles(m): 9:33am On Aug 13, 2008
No matter what the conditions maybe, contractual staffing solutions can never be eradicated

It is mainly used to temporarily cover a void or fill a vacuum in a company/or an organisation's workforce due to various reasons like a staff leaving un-expectedly or going on a maternity or a study leave.

Because it is not a permanent position, benefits and remunerations greatly differs from that of a permanent employee

Contract staff or temporary staff recruiters i.e. Job Agencies, further milk the benefits a company/organisation offers to contract staff in the form of commision or agency fees or whatever!

Contract staffs can do a lot to elevate themselves by doing really well during thier tenure and applying for permanent vacancies if the opportunity opens up.

Contract staffs should also understand the contractual terms of thier employment, as once it has been signed, changes are hardly effected to it.
Re: Ever Heard Of Contract Employment? by SOJ(m): 10:24am On Aug 13, 2008
Call it wat u may, contract staffing, temporary staffing; it is neccessary for most businesses. What is wrong is that its being abused by certain organisations in Nigeria.
Great career paths have been known to develop from contract employments;it just takes you seizing an opportunity when it presents itself.
But that isnt usually the case for some people, i gather.
I think businesses find it cost effective to employ temp staff to fill in voids left without notice or to prevent outsourcing key elements of their operations to outsiders.
Re: Ever Heard Of Contract Employment? by mybad: 1:30pm On Aug 13, 2008
nosarakins:

it is hell working as a contract staff, you will face a lot of discrimination, i a contract staff in one of the old generation bank and i know i am going through with take home of 30k and B.Sc i believe Nigeria. govt. and NLC should do something about it. it is working like an elephant and eating like ant.

I really agree with you.

The discrimination that obtains in the organisation i work in isn't easy at all.
I find it difficult to explain to people that the fact that i work in an oil & gas company doesn't afford me certain privileges.

I breathe thesame foul air with permanent staff,experience thesame risks if not more and do thesame tedious work yet i am paid stipends and have no rights to insurance or upfront payments or loan.
When you see fellow graduates driving sleek cars and residing in posh apartments all because they earn 5x your take home plus incentives. You wonder if you're suffering the sins of your forefathers.

I don't even see a future for myself here except for the experience i've gained thats preparing me for a future outside this doors.
Re: Ever Heard Of Contract Employment? by bigjam(m): 4:54pm On Aug 13, 2008
Thank GOD for every thing I use to be a contract staff with one oil & gas ( OANDO PLC) with # 62,000 per month as a graduate (Bsc)- U stay late in the office some time 9pm, on saturday u are sometime ask to come, well there are still large number as a contract staff, some even collect # 35,000 (Bsc). I left in MAY 2008.It is a serious ISSUE.
In every thing give GOD THANKS
Re: Ever Heard Of Contract Employment? by MrCrackles(m): 5:59pm On Aug 13, 2008
okeben:

ONLINE WORKERS NEEDED

i am an OFFLINE worker? do you need me?! grin
Re: Ever Heard Of Contract Employment? by Nobody: 8:36am On Aug 14, 2008
bigjam:

Thank GOD for every thing I use to be a contract staff with one oil & gas ( OANDO PLC) with # 62,000 per month as a graduate (Bsc)- You stay late in the office some time 9pm, on saturday u are sometime ask to come, well there are still large number as a contract staff, some even collect # 35,000 (Bsc). I left in MAY 2008.It is a serious ISSUE.
In every thing give GOD THANKS

Bros, you sound like someone i know in OANDO who you be please.

(1) (Reply)

Arik Air Interview-test / Driver Urgently Needed In Lekki For Employment. / Nnplc-dragnet Apptitude Test On Friday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.