Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,086 members, 7,818,255 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:16 AM

Doctors And Their Pay Packets - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Doctors And Their Pay Packets (52766 Views)

Oceanic And Others To Review Their Pay! / Blue Chip Companies And Their Pay Packages / MTN Customer Service Officers: What's Their Pay Like? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Doctors And Their Pay Packets by lucabrasi(m): 9:41pm On Aug 18, 2008
likewise no one is saying the doctors are wrong to demand for a better quality of life,like we all know any sane person will prefer a doctor who is happy without financial worries to operate on him/her than a doctor worrying about financial commitments,what we are saying is that its not just the doctors but majority of other equally important professions as well,

if you want to go on call at any time of the night without armed robbers snatching your car or area boys waylaying you, guess who secures your life?that poorly paid policeman who is on 7,500naira a month sleeping in an uncompleted buildn, its like the fable of the blind men and the elephant, everyone is one party of a large branch

there are equally badly paid doctors and consultants in cuba,i v not been there but i know someone who schooled there sitting right here with me, and many of them are not better paid than the average nigerian doctor by a long shot, ask anyone that has been there
Re: Doctors And Their Pay Packets by Epiphany(m): 9:47pm On Aug 18, 2008
Kongi:

Can I use a real life example?
I graduated from med school in 2001.
As an HO, I earned 50k monthly after tax.
I went to serve in the north and was paid 28k a month.
The highest paid doctor in my state earned 33k and the lowest we knew about was 11k.
It is common knowledge that doctors take a pay cut during NYSC.
You can indeed earn 200k if you are willing to be unethical but a lot of us swore an oath and this oath is sacrosanct
NYSC doctors today still earn 15k or 18k a month, I kid you not!
Post NYSC doctors take home less than 40k in many private hospitals in Lagos, Kano, Umuahia, Kontagora, Ilorin and especially Abuja!
You may say what gives doctors the right to earn much more than that?
Like it or not, doctors are supposed to be the creme de la creme of our brains and should be rewarded as such.
Remove all prejudices and try to recall the dullest 40% of your classmates in primary or secondary school,
Now picture any of them as the doctor looking after your 3 day old son,
Medicine is a humanitarian field, I hear some dreamers state on this forum,
I have not heard a more dangerous statement!
It is a field for the most professional of professionals who has the highest level of dedication to his duty.
It is not a voluntary service!
We should recompense them as adequaely as possible or the best of the best of the nations intellects will leave for where they will get a salary commisurate with their qualifications.
I recall that on the day I graduated from medical school, there was a merit list of 26. Of the 26, only 1 is left in Nigeria!
This is a statistic that should fill our leaders with dread but they feel the same as many on this forum.

Pray that you don't fall ill o! It's a lottery whether you survive it as it is. Soon, nobody will read medicine in Naija.
As a medical doctor myself, I will not advice my kids to study medicine with the aim of practicing in Naija unless they understand the implications:
a life just above the poverty line with no appreciation of the sacrifices you made to get there!

@Epiphany, my most sincere hope is that someone like you never gets into a position of authority or influence. Your myopic views are quite frankly a disgrace and I don't usually respond to such tunnel views but for you Sir, I will make an exception.
Naija o ni baje
sad

In other words, what you are saying is that doctors should be singled out and paid quite a lot? That is not a very nice statement. I live in the UK and over here, you find out that some ARTISANS, people who did not necessarily go to universities but decided to go into plumbing, carpentry etc, sometimes earn more than doctors with the same 'level' of experience. Why? Because the country considers their profession to be almost, if not equally as important.

I am not relegating doctors to the background. All i am saying is that the importance they ascribe to themselves is unbecoming. They are not the only ones in the country who are 'suffering'.

Again, i am not against doctors. I come from a family of four. Dad, Mom, me and my junior brother. Both parents are Professors of Medicine (Doctors in a teaching hospital) and my junior brother is doing his residency in Orthopaedic Surgery. Funny enough, he served in Adamawa in 2002 and passed through the 'rubbish' salary scales doctors continually grumble about, he also grumbled daily until he left Nigeria. Like i said, he is now a doing his residency and has told me that he has met many artisans over here who earn more than he does, IS HE COMPLAINING NO. WHY? Because whether he earns what they earn or more, the basic necessities are still available to him.
Re: Doctors And Their Pay Packets by agaba123(m): 10:15pm On Aug 18, 2008
Kongi:

Like it or not, doctors are supposed to be the creme de la creme of our brains and should be rewarded as such.

You amaze me with this your statement. You now believe that anyone who is a doctor is creme de la creme when medical school is going to the highest bidder in Nigeria. All these stuff of being the la creme is balderdash. I know in my class in secondary school guys who shot 8A's and did not want to go into medicine but some who lined carbon chain went in pursuit medicine because of this feeling you have here. Some succeeded after some years and other did all sorts of things to come and you say creme what? People are going into medicine cos of the societies perception of the profession. In Eastern Europe, every body is going for Architecture because that is what pays. No body cares about medicine and doctors are not highest paid and they still deliver quality services.

So the aeronautic engineer or the pharmacist etc is not creme de la creme? Please be real. In the UK here, do you know that the GP is paid more than the resident and even some consultants? Why, because pay is based on the amount of work you do not based on the amount of book you have read. Please come down from the high horse if that is why you studied medicine. Those who talk most are those who entered medical school through remedial courses or the famous pre-science. grin grin grin grin. And the worst are those who spent 2 years extra in school.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Doctors And Their Pay Packets by ziga: 11:41pm On Aug 18, 2008
The situation of things right now is that most doctors who were trained by Nigeria for very little money (comparing the cost of education in Nigeria to that in other countries) are being employed in many other countries and are being used for various positions to improve themselves.

It is sad and frustrating not being appreciated and rewarded for your efforts in your own home. For those who don't agree, i pray that you never have to be in those shoes.

Also, i would add that good health is one of the most important things to a human being. You won't understand if you've never been "really" sick.
Re: Doctors And Their Pay Packets by Epiphany(m): 11:52pm On Aug 18, 2008
agaba123:

You amaze me with this your statement. You now believe that anyone who is a doctor is creme de la creme when medical school is going to the highest bidder in Nigeria. All these stuff of being the la creme is balderdash. I know in my class in secondary school guys who shot 8A's and did not want to go into medicine but some who lined carbon chain went in pursuit medicine because of this feeling you have here. Some succeeded after some years and other did all sorts of things to come and you say creme what? People are going into medicine because of the societies perception of the profession. In Eastern Europe, every body is going for Architecture because that is what pays. No body cares about medicine and doctors are not highest paid and they still deliver quality services.

So the aeronautic engineer or the pharmacist etc is not creme de la creme? Please be real. In the UK here, do you know that the GP is paid more than the resident and even some consultants? Why, because pay is based on the amount of work you do not based on the amount of book you have read. Please come down from the high horse if that is why you studied medicine. Those who talk most are those who entered medical school through remedial courses or the famous pre-science. grin grin grin grin. And the worst are those who spent 2 years extra in school.

Lol. Hahahaahhaha. Good man, good analogy and the very truth. I have also noticed that over here in the UK, the typical brits do not rush into medicine also. Their medical sector is made up of so many foreigners.
Re: Doctors And Their Pay Packets by tpia: 5:21am On Aug 19, 2008
Epiphany:

you find out that some ARTISANS, people who did not necessarily go to universities but decided to go into[b] plumbing, carpentry etc, sometimes earn more than doctors[/b] with the same 'level' of experience.

I mean, I didnt want to say. undecided lipsrsealed

Its not only in the UK oh.

Anyone looking for get rich quick jobs, shouldnt really be interested in studying medicine, because the money doesnt come in as soon as they graduate. It takes time.
Re: Doctors And Their Pay Packets by karlken(m): 1:33pm On Aug 19, 2008
I am not surprised at the reaction of non medical professionals on this thread.I have tried discussing Drs pay in many fora with non medics;it is simply an exercises in futility! They will never understand.The Dr is a humanitarian,period! Take this or leave,the sensitization is on,things will soon improve for the average Dr in Nigeria. angry angry
Re: Doctors And Their Pay Packets by bastrin(f): 1:53pm On Aug 19, 2008
angry angry angry angryHey, all u guys are just noise makers. Dr or no Dr anybody earning below what he expects in his field is a lazy man. Cos if you know your worth pple will look for u even if you are in a shit hole n beg for ur services. So if you believe in urself n know what you are worth pls sell ur market n see what hppns. Dats y some Drs earn beta dan odas period. eg try n go tru Soludos history n u'll see dat wen he was in school he was a social freak it was all about his book, n today see where he is while some of his mates are still looking for jobs and oda complaining that dey are under paid. If you are under paid then leave the profession go look for anoda job n stop crying afterall we were not there wen u made ur decision so stop bordering us now. Must every Dr be rich in cash. If you think u r under paid den go n push truck. angry angry angry angry angry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Doctors And Their Pay Packets by ranmig(m): 2:34pm On Aug 19, 2008
Doctors should be the most well paid workers, health is wealth as we all knw, n without a sound health, no one or no profession will be able to perform their duties, so i think there should be a review of the Doctors' Salary scheme
Re: Doctors And Their Pay Packets by bastrin(f): 3:58pm On Aug 19, 2008
In that case Prisoners RCA shld be increased too. angry angry angry
Re: Doctors And Their Pay Packets by gem70: 4:27pm On Aug 19, 2008
i dont think all these should come up. the economy as a whole has to improve. the standard of living of EVERY NIGERIAN should improve. not just doc, nurses etc. but, wat i think is that the way a society treats those who take care of their health and save lives is a reflection of their value and regard for the sanctity of humane life i dont think nigerians value life much. i would not want a hungry dr or nurse to perform an emergency life saving surgery on me!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Doctors And Their Pay Packets by idonland(m): 4:52pm On Aug 19, 2008
Some of you on here are ridiculous, comparing Doctors to most other fields is not too smart. here in america the average GP earns about $150k, and they are they lowest paid doctors, depending on your specialization the average salary can go up over $500k. for the people that are saying you shouldnt go into medicine for the money you are lyingto yourselves, i know in yankee most doctors are in it for the money and not for the love of the country or the job. Do you think that people who invest $25k+ a year to go to medical school here do it for charity? No they do it because it is an investment in their future.

Doctors all over the world on average are amongst the highest paid professioinals both starting out and over time.

tpia:

I mean, I didnt want to say. undecided lipsrsealed

Its not only in the UK oh.

Anyone looking for get rich quick jobs, shouldnt really be interested in studying medicine, because the money doesnt come in as soon as they graduate. It takes time.

contrary to what you think it does come quick for most doctors outside nigeria, here in yankee everyone in med school expects to make well over $100k a year starting off right out of med school. even pharmacists expect to make close to $100k.
Re: Doctors And Their Pay Packets by xyoung: 5:06pm On Aug 19, 2008
any body studying MEDICINE shudnt hav MOOONEY as priorrrity because it has 2 d wit saving life,
its almost like involuntary jobs.

if y all lokng for real and fast cash,

about $500k a month.thinnnnnk of it
i advice you to enta ANY OF D FOLLOWIN
1.DRUG PUSHING
2.TERRORISM
3.KIDNAPPING
4.HOSTAGE TAKING
5.ASSASINATION

incase u are interested, contact me,
can be of much help
peace ya
Re: Doctors And Their Pay Packets by Koolp(m): 6:03pm On Aug 19, 2008
well i think idu paul has said it all. u dont compare it to enghineering courses and commercial courses because its more important than those but they work together. cos without the finance there will be no provisional facilities and without the engeneeres there will be no manufacturing of medical facilities .but its more important and should think of the ammount of life being cured rather that the money.
Re: Doctors And Their Pay Packets by brushparke(m): 6:32pm On Aug 19, 2008
What I have read on this forum feels my eyes with tears. It is the danger of being born in an illiterate country like Nigeria.

You see, A friend once said the worst thing that can happen to any human apart from being a Nigerian, Is being a Nigerian doctor. What i have read on this forum seems to have vindicated my friend.

How can a people be so myopic? The fact that a few of us have an IQ slightly higher than that of the average guy isn't our making and we shouldn't be made to pay dearly for it. And i must say that many who end up doctors never planned to be one but are only victims of their extraordinary academic abilities.

From the first day you came top of the class your parents will dedicate you to this "humanitarian professional" Medicine.
'my son, you are so intelligent. You will be a doctor'. Unfortunately that is usually the best kind of career counseling people get just before they get into medical school. By the time they realize what they are in for, it's already late to pull out.

Since no one thinks doctors deserve anything in this country, i think it will make a lot of sense, if students are exposed to proper career counseling, so that only those who are ready be commando doctors opt for it.

I will rest my case.
Re: Doctors And Their Pay Packets by tpia: 8:05pm On Aug 19, 2008
i_don_land:

contrary to what you think it does come quick for most doctors outside nigeria, here in yankee everyone in med school expects to make well over $100k a year starting off right out of med school. even pharmacists expect to make close to $100k.

oh really?

see, this is how some Nigerians give everyone else a 419 rap with their boldfaced lying. undecided
Re: Doctors And Their Pay Packets by reindeer: 9:46pm On Aug 19, 2008
some of the responses ive seen will engender the following

retain nigeria as the country with the highest maternal mortality rate in the world!
curently about 1500 per 100000 live births.

Ensure longer waiting hours to see doctors(since most graduating docswill have to go out of the country to earn at least a little less than plumbers.

ensure that quacks fill everywhere in the health sector(since nature abhors a vacuum). I used to see, nurses, lab technicians and even hospital orderlies refered to as 'doctors' by peopl they deceive all around.

common people, we all know nigeria is in a decay, but lets get our priorities right, health should have its pride of place in govt spendings, even in those places where a plumber earns more, doctors are not paupers. And someone talked about laziness, thats a joke, the person really doesnt understand what it takes to pass through med school especially in nigeria, a lazy person jujst cant make it through,

I hope someday we'll be to have a healthy country, my heart aches for all those who cant afford those trips to get health "where plumbers earn more".
Re: Doctors And Their Pay Packets by Aiyetunje: 12:35am On Aug 20, 2008
Well well. . . a lot has been said on here & it might be a bit difficult to respond to a lot of falsehood & misconceptions that are being held

Firstly, this a thread about "Doctors & their pay" - if you feel like discussing the pay structure of any other profession outside medicine feel free to create your own thread! Like I also mentioned some time earlier, the pay of doctors is "linked" to the pay of allied health professionals (nurses, pharmacists, physiotherapists, etc etc.) If the doctors pay improves, theirs will too.

We all know that we are in Nigeria & its a messed up system we operate in BUT that doesnt mean we shouldnt strive to work towards achieving international best practices.

Doctors deserve to be paid well, so do nurses, drivers, architects, secretaries, labourers, & every other person who works in one capacity to earn a living!

To underscore the importance of HEALTH, out of the 8 Millenium Development Goals (MDGs), 3 are health related & the others can be said to have an indirect bearing too. For those who dont know what HEALTH is the WHO defined it as a[b] state of complete physical, mental & social well being & not merely the absence of disease or infirmity.
[/b]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Development_Goals

Now to particular issues, I have no problem with artisans earning more than doctors - what I have a problem with is when doctors (and indeed other professionals are not paid commensurately). Its not about spending 6 plus x years in school or having a supposedly elevated status in society(there seems to be a lot of beef from those who were unfortunate(or fortunate) , Its about the value we place on LIFE. How many artisans are on a flat rate salary? Not many I suppose. . .the bulk of their earnings will be based on the number of jobs they do. A doctor might be placed on lets say 100K per month but an artisan (plumber, carpenter, mechanic etc) will bill you per job. So if each job costs lets say 2K,his take home pay will depend on the number of jobs he gets. Of course, this is not including large scale jobs which will cost more.

I have heard Cuba mentioned on this thread saying they are not well paid too bla bla bla. . . while I'm not disputing that. It is this same Cuba whose president, Fidel Castro, was ill & had intestinal surgery done in his own country, Can Yar'Adua do the same? And his case was even an emergency for that matter. . .please let us put things in proper perspective.

For those who say Medicine is Humanitarian, I say once again, SAVE IT!

Just today the USAID painted a gloomier of the health sector stating that 10 % of global maternal deaths occurred in Nigeria - in layman's terms this means 1 in 10 pregnant women worldwide who die from pregnancy & its related conditions/complications will be a Nigerian. That person could be your wife, daughter, sister, cousin, neighbour, friend, kinswoman. . .

Do I hear you say God forbid?

We need ACTION not mere words!
Re: Doctors And Their Pay Packets by karlken(m): 12:57pm On Aug 20, 2008
I am not happy with the views of non medics on this thread.Their arguments are skewed. sad sad
Re: Doctors And Their Pay Packets by Kongi(m): 2:37pm On Aug 20, 2008
Agaba, Agaba, Agaba,
People are going into medicine because of the societies perception of the profession. In Eastern Europe, every body is going for Architecture because that is what pays. No body cares about medicine and doctors are not highest paid and they still deliver quality services.

So the aeronautic engineer or the pharmacist etc is not creme de la creme? Please be real. In the UK here, do you know that the GP is paid more than the resident and even some consultants? Why, because pay is based on the amount of work you do not based on the amount of book you have read. Please come down from the high horse if that is why you studied medicine. Those who talk most are those who entered medical school through remedial courses or the famous pre-science. . And the worst are those who spent 2 years extra in school.
?
Now who is being unreal?
You talk about 'here in the UK'
Comparing the pay of a GP to that of a resident shows a clear misconception of the structure of medical training and a fundamental misunderstanding of the duties of a GP and a resident. I use the term resident very loosely as i can only assume that by resident, you mean doctors in trainng.
Are you aware that a doctor in training either becomes a GP or a specialist?
I guess not.
The thread is not about doctors being he highest paid but being appropriately paid.
I agree with you about aeronautical engineers, pharmacists and a lot of other professions but you my friend have very little information about very many things related to medicine. You do need to read up quite a lot or at least ask people in the field how things work before making semi-informed statements.

As for medicine going to the highest bidder in Nigeria, again I know very little about that so I cannot comment with any degree of authority. However, if they get into the kind of medical school I went to, they won't last the distance.
Wheat is very soon seperated from chaff.

@ Epiphany
Lol. Hahahaahhaha. Good man, good analogy and the very truth. I have also noticed that over here in the UK, the typical brits do not rush into medicine also. Their medical sector is made up of so many foreigners.?

I work in the Uk my dear brother and can assure you that most new doctors in training are British contrary to what you may hear.
The new immigration rules as well as Foundation training are puting paid to foreign doctors getting into training.
Pls note my choice of words.

I reiterate that my point is not that doctors in 9ja should be the highest paid. What I am saying is that docttors in Nigeria should be renumerated to such an extent that we dont have to have the best medical brains leave the country and leave the health sector in the state it currently is.

An excellent artisan should have no limits to his earnings so a plumber or electrician making more money than a doctor is not an issue. I definitely dont have a problem with that.

@ Aiyetunje
Aiyetunje I hail o. You made a lot of excellent points and have obviously given this a lot of thought. A lot of things left unsaid have been well marshallled by you and I hope to read much more from you on this forum

@Karl Ken
The only reason I post on this forum is to see if we can gradually get non-medics to appreciate issues from our point of view. It is a difficult thankless job but little by little, if we persist, we may make enough of a dent in their thinking.
Don't give up
Re: Doctors And Their Pay Packets by Epiphany(m): 4:12pm On Aug 20, 2008
@Kongi

As far as i am concerned, we are saying the same thing but from different perspectives. My own arguement has been that "doctors do not necessarily have to be the hightest paid" (like you have also stated). I believe they should be WELL PAID and able to afford ALL the basic things they need, unlike what obtains back at home.

I also understand that most NEW doctors IN TRAINING are british. Most likely because they are trying to regulate (or whatever word best suits this) their system from being overrun by foreigners. I understand this well cos i know of many classmates who left (after slaving away in hospitals for a few years) because they could not get into this training thingy.

My brother, we are arguing on the same side but from different perspectives.

My initial arguement that probably upset you is still what i hold close to my heart. That most (if not all) professionals in Nigeria are underpaid, which includes doctors. Nowhere did i state that they should not be paid according to their importance in society.
Re: Doctors And Their Pay Packets by Aiyetunje: 9:33pm On Aug 20, 2008
Kongi

Thanks for your insights!
Re: Doctors And Their Pay Packets by Sagamite(m): 11:51pm On Aug 20, 2008
Epiphany:

In other words, what you are saying is that doctors should be singled out and paid quite a lot? That is not a very nice statement. I live in the UK and over here, you find out that some ARTISANS, people who did not necessarily go to universities but decided to go into plumbing, carpentry etc, sometimes earn more than doctors with the same 'level' of experience. Why? Because the country considers their profession to be almost, if not equally as important.

Epiphany,

Artisans make as much money as doctors in the West NOT because the country considers their profession equal. That is utter R_____.

The reason they earn the same or more is because:

1) It is a rare skill that most people don't want to do hence laws of demand and supply rules

2) The severe lack of knowledge about menial work by the populace, hence the ARTISANS rip them off with exorbitant charges

3) It is not a public sector job. If it was, even the most experienced of them would not earn more than a tube driver at circa £40K max.

And the reason the typical Brits don't rush into medicine is because it is the hardest degree to enter. You have to have excelled academically virtually all your life and get AAB and above at A-levels to even have a chance, talkless of being selected by any medical school. Most candidates now do 4 A-levels to get a chance.

@Lucabrasi,

The minimum the lowest Nigerian police officer earns now is N26K per month. Days of N7.5K are long gone.
Re: Doctors And Their Pay Packets by Sagamite(m): 12:00am On Aug 21, 2008
Let me give some of you belly ache.

Here is the pay packet of our politicians BEFORE the reported 100% payrise due to the "life difficulties they are facing".

PS: I used the conversion rate of £1 to N235 and these are per year pay. This includes all monetised allowances but excludes official loans (e.g. car loan).

President:                                 £140,641.39
Vice President:                          £123,063.58

Senate President:                     £97,719.15
Deputy Senate President:         £79,129.79
Average Senator:                      £68,510.64 (might be more for those that chair commitees)

Speaker of House:                    £69,123.40
Deputy Speaker of House:        £64,385.11
Average House Member:          £55,465.96 (might be more for those that chair commitees)

Governor:                                £88,939.68
Deputy Governor:                     £85,120.56

Chief Justice:                            £99,370.36

Minister:                                   at least £34,967.06 (I have no figures of most of their allowances but the ones I have shows this as minimum)
Minister of State:                     at least £32,483.18 (I have no figures of most of their allowances but the ones I have shows this as minimum)
Re: Doctors And Their Pay Packets by Sagamite(m): 12:08am On Aug 21, 2008
I would assume the 100% rise would be for their base salaries so i don't think this would double.

Since the monetised allowances are linked to percentages of the base salary, I would assume this salaries would increase by an average of roughly £16,000.

Can't be bothered to do the actual calculations.
Re: Doctors And Their Pay Packets by agaba123(m): 1:16am On Aug 21, 2008
Chei Konji[color=#990000][/color] kongi wan catch me but I no go gree as no woman is around. grin grin grin

My dear Kongi

I know a bit not much though. May be I have read little lol
I know you train to be either a GP or a specialist. But the GP will earn more than the specilist yet in the cadre of thing, the Specialist is regarded more than the GP.

Now I compared the GP with the resident doctor based on what obtains in naija even though not much training is given to the GP in naija. So I understand a bit of the 'mysterious' world of medical practice.
Rememeber i posted on this thread as a response to a stupid claim. No one argues that you do not work hard or deserve a reward but does every other person.

But look at  a statement as this
How can a people be so myopic? The fact that a few of us have an IQ slightly higher than that of the average guy isn't our making and we shouldn't be made to pay dearly for it. And i must say that many who end up doctors never planned to be one but are only victims of their extraordinary academic abilities
Let us know your A level score if you studied in the UK or your waec and jamb score if you studied in  Nigeria. Perhaps you did pre-science

You have a higher IQ meaning that those who did not study medicine did not have high IQ? It takes more than IQ measurement to be in medicine if you are to be a good medical doctor.
I know a guy who had a three distinctions in 2nd MB but he pulled out and and studied Physics because he said he was not enjoying the course. It is about having a desire and not joining the band wagon. lets read medicine! I do not think he has a low IQ. Does he?

Someone is comparing the pay of drs in yankee with naija and I laugh. Do you even consider the risk involved in practising medicine in the US and UK? have you forgotten that a single  lawsuit is enough to claim all the money that you made. The pay in all the states of US is not the same. The pay reflects the level of litigations in each state. I stand to be corrected
I know a doctor who gave pentazocine to a trauma patient with head injury and the patient religiously passed away. No body investigated, let alone press charges. The relatives said it was the will of God. Will of God?

Few months ago, French DRs were agitating for increase in their salary based on increasing lawsuit and they sited US as an example of where litigation drives up remuneration.
What are we talking about here? Dr are not well paid, but they earn far more than anyother profession. The injustice in naija is general and inside that arrangement, they are still supper favoured after the corrupt politicians.
Who is not suffering from the economic crunch?
A house officer in nigeria goes home with at least 120K after tax per month. The cost of living in nigeria is not the same as here or the US except you want to show that a doctor is in town.
Abeg make una spare me all those yarns. They are already paid well.

And let me tell those with IQ of 170 that someone with above average IQ who is diligent and is determined can read medicine not to talk some guys with superb IQ.
Another thing, since the call duty allowance and so many allowances were fought for and implemented, the services at the hospitals in Nigeria never improved. So if you like, increase the salary to N1M per month, a resident who is on EM shift will still leave the hospital and stay for hours. When he comes he would have seen a patient who would have been saved bled to death. His reaction will be that of arrogance.

Even 1 year after the average pay of a GP in the UK was pegged at 100k, the review showed that they were expected to put in more hours with the increased pay but that was not the issue as the waitin time before seeing a GP has not reduced.

So in naija give them more money, they will more time to spend at mr Biggs with them female patients and teaming female fans grin grin

Another talked about mortality rate: That has a lot to do with availability of right technology and training the doctors on the use such. Again most of the deaths incured is because the Govt does not have rural hospitals that are equiped and staffed. While the allowances were increased, the infrastructural decay was increasing in leaps and bounds and the CMDs who take home upto 500K a month were busy looting the hospitals.
The rural hospital are not staffed because of disparity in rural and urban salary packages of doctors. Recently they asked for harmonisation. that is real and laudable because such will reduce marternal death rate rather than what you think just biased increase in docs salary will do. Enough said

2 Likes

Re: Doctors And Their Pay Packets by ziga: 2:45am On Aug 21, 2008
[/quote]A house officer in nigeria goes home with at least 120K after tax per month.[quote]

Very few HOs (just a handful) make that much. I had to wait for almost a year after grad before i got an internship position, and i was paid 45k/month. I count myself among the lucky ones, coz some docs went the whole year without any pay (supernumerary doctors)

There is a big problem in the health sector and this should be top priority for any government.
Re: Doctors And Their Pay Packets by agaba123(m): 9:15am On Aug 21, 2008
ziga:

Very few HOs (just a handful) make that much. I had to wait for almost a year after grad before i got an internship position, and i was paid 45k/month. I count myself among the lucky ones, because some docs went the whole year without any pay (supernumerary doctors)

There is a big problem in the health sector and this should be top priority for any government.
If u don't have an internship position, you won't be paid of course.
It is a problem of inadequacy in infrastructure to cope with the number of doctors pushed out from the universities. Everyone knows that if you are on merit, you get a pole position in your University teaching hospital. You only have problem if you are an O yes member of the class grin grin
But 45K is still unrealistic at this present time.
Ziga when did you graduate?
Re: Doctors And Their Pay Packets by karlken(m): 11:47am On Aug 21, 2008
@Ziga.It is unfair for any Nig trained Dr practising or training in UK or US to say that Drs package is good in Nig.The decay in infrastructure and few illequiped hospitals is as a result of failure of government not individual Drs.
Re: Doctors And Their Pay Packets by agaba123(m): 11:51am On Aug 21, 2008
karl ken:

@Ziga.It is unfair for any Nig trained Dr practising or training in UK or US to say that Drs package is good in Nig.The decay in infrastructure and few illequiped hospitals is as a result of failure of government not individual Drs.
I doubt if anybody should blame doctors for infrastructural decay except may be those on the leadership positions that are as corrupt as other nigerian leaders. They collude with the politicians to mess up the health system
Re: Doctors And Their Pay Packets by karlken(m): 12:24pm On Aug 21, 2008
Medical Drs now seek employment in banks,Telecom companies,oil companies and factories. shocked shocked.The basic issue here is not whether Drs are creme de la creme of the society or not.The point here is that the benefits of commensurate remunerations especially for medical Drs cannot be overflogged.Quackery,infamous conduct,criminal practice,negligence etc will surely thrive if the very corrupt policy makers(who have increased their pay by 100%),fails to pay attention to the health sector."To whom much is given,much is expected".The Dr whose family has invested a lot on has no alibi in the fact that his job is humanitarian.Some were even sponsored by community effort. embarassed embarassed
Re: Doctors And Their Pay Packets by agaba123(m): 12:43pm On Aug 21, 2008
karl ken:

Medical Drs now seek employment in banks,Telecom companies,oil companies and factories. shocked shocked.The basic issue here is not whether Drs are creme de la creme of the society or not.The point here is that the benefits of commensurate remunerations especially for medical Drs cannot be overflogged.Quackery,infamous conduct,criminal practice,negligence etc will surely thrive if the very corrupt policy makers(who have increased their pay by 100%),fails to pay attention to the health sector."To whom much is given,much is expected".The Dr whose family has invested a lot on has no alibi in the fact that his job is humanitarian.Some were even sponsored by community effort. embarassed embarassed
haha just like engineers and other professionals seek work in banking and telecom sectors. grin grin grin You don't even expect make the same moneywith those in the telecom what ever u are paid. Even here in the UK, a financial consultant earns so many times more money than a medical doctor. I heard of a nigerian that works for NATWEST, Just for organising seminars recks £200k per seminar. Those in IT and consultancy firm earn very much. Another guy works for a consultancy firm and earns above 300k basic per month in nigeria. Lives in Lagos works in abuja, receives 20k for out of station allowance every weekend. So, the govt cannot match what is happening in private sector. Even here, I know those from the noble professions who are now working in banks. It is not only in nigeria. It is a matter of what floats your boat

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

KPMG: My Temp Experience / Should I Sell My Virginity To Retain My Job? / Coronavirus: TVC Slashes Staff Salaries - Politics Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 139
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.