Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,459 members, 7,850,600 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 05:27 AM

Bakassi: Whose Fault Is It? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bakassi: Whose Fault Is It? (5747 Views)

Bakassi - Jonathan Says Country Committed To ICJ Ruling / Facts Reveal That Bakassi Belongs To Nigeria / Homeless In America, Whose Fault Is It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bakassi: Whose Fault Is It? by MrCrackles(m): 9:06am On Aug 15, 2008
ezer:

cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry

no amount of tears would bring it back!
Re: Bakassi: Whose Fault Is It? by oziomatv(m): 9:31am On Aug 15, 2008
It's a pitty after backing the Nigerian army to fight against the Biafrans  now it's their turn to feel the heat.

The evil that men do live with them, hope they won't sell entire NigerDelter to MIMBO Mashers
Re: Bakassi: Whose Fault Is It? by desgiezd(m): 9:53am On Aug 15, 2008
The reality of the loss of Bakassi fully dawned on me yesterday and I'm sure all Nigerians irrespective of the part of the nation one comes from felt and are still feeling the same way. This is a deep inner feeling of outrage and anguish that one can not do anything to assuage. I never really knew I cared this much for my fatherland. And watching the paramount ruler of the Bakassi area on tv yesterday almost brought tears to one's eyes.

But since the ICJ ruling was delivered on Oct. 10, 2002 and the unilateral signing of the Green Tree Agreement by OBJ in 2006, shouldn't the government have prepared suitable accommodations for the people that would be moving away from Bakassi? I learnt the land acquired for that purpose by the FG is still the way it has  been and the people of neighbouring states are now being asked to show hospitality to the Bakassi people. Why is it that our government was quick in accepting the ICJ judgement which was diametrically opposed to the wishes of  most Nigerians and the provison of suitable accommodation for the people became difficult to implement?
Re: Bakassi: Whose Fault Is It? by rasputinn(m): 9:57am On Aug 15, 2008
So much for the obj & yara dull's oft mouthed mantra of citizen diplomacy
Such a shame
Really
Re: Bakassi: Whose Fault Is It? by desgiezd(m): 10:00am On Aug 15, 2008
oziomatv:

It's a pitty after backing the Nigerian army to fight against the Biafrans  now it's their turn to feel the heat.                

Completely out of point. Its a pity that one with Nigerian blood running in his veins could be talking this way.
Re: Bakassi: Whose Fault Is It? by rasputinn(m): 10:02am On Aug 15, 2008
oziomatv:

It's a pitty after backing the Nigerian army to fight against the Biafrans  now it's their turn to feel the heat.        The evil that men do live with them, hope they won't sell entire NigerDelter to MIMBO Mashers

Hmmmmmm,how ironic
This is a deft stab in the neck back by OBJ
Re: Bakassi: Whose Fault Is It? by edimalo(m): 11:36am On Aug 15, 2008
GUYS , I FEEL OUR LEADERS ARE THE WORST SET IN THIS WORLD.
USA, FRANCE @ MANY TIMES ARE NOT IN HASTE OF EFFECTING AGREEMENT WITH THE UN AFTER SIGNING SERIES OF GREEN TREATIES.
NIGERIA'S FOREIGN POLICY IS GENERALLY WEEK WHICH ALLOWS OTHERS NATIONS TO MALTREAT NIGERIAN CITIZENS AND NOTHING HAPPENS.
WE SHOULD REDUCE THIS FRIGING BIG BROTHER AFRICA OF A THING AND CONCENTRATE ON STRENGHTENING OUR FOREIGN POLICY.
I SEE IN YEARS TO COME, A PRESIDENT WHO WILL NOT AGREE WITH THE CEEDING OF BAKASSI TO CAMEROUN , HENCE , A NEW NIGER DELTA AND BATTLE FEILD FOR THE INHABITANTS OF THAT TIME.
LET THE INDIGENES MOVE INTO NIGERIA IF THEY WANT TO REMAIN ALIVE BECAUSE THE CAMEROUNIAN GENDARMES ARE FASHIONED AFTER MILITANTS AND REBELS.
Re: Bakassi: Whose Fault Is It? by walex25(m): 12:12pm On Aug 15, 2008
I WANT TO ASK WHAT IF GOWAN FAMILY ARE THERE WILL HE BE ABLE TO GIVE THAT PLACE TO CAMEROUNIAN. WHO I AM TO BLAME FOR ALL THIS IS GOWAN AND BABA. DUE TO BABA SELFISH INTEREST. WHY WILL HE AGREED TO THE WORLD COURT DECISION. EVEN IF IT IS WAR THAT WE ARE GOING TO FIGHT WHY CANT WE FIGHT WHY CANT WE FIGHT THEM OR ARE WE AFRAID OF THEM. IS IT BECAUSE FRANCE ARE GOING TO BACK THEM UP.
Re: Bakassi: Whose Fault Is It? by Eziachi: 4:04pm On Aug 15, 2008
jintujinta:

In war, or desperate situations, man could make erroneous decisions that could back fire later. Bakkasi issue is one of them. The land was traded off for support from Cameroonians, so it was a decision made during desperation. No one should be blamed for that.

My concern is that the resident should be properly relocated so that life can continue well. they will sure lose their lands and some jobs because some professions are dependent on that land but i believe they can still be relocated and re established.

if there was no war, in the first place, there would be no need to trade out the land for help. So if we want to apportion blame, we will go farther back into history than just Gowon giving the land out.

This is not the time for blames, it is time to rescue what is left to be salvaged.

Thanks for your wisdom from the above and hopefully, they will relocate them to your village and let see if your opinion will be the same as now.
Re: Bakassi: Whose Fault Is It? by oziomatv(m): 4:18pm On Aug 15, 2008
desgiezd:

Completely out of point. Its a pity that one with Nigerian blood running in his veins could be talking this way.
I'm sorry to disapoint you, I don't shear that wicked and heartless blood of nigeria in my veins and will never, I'm a pure BIAFRAN please.
We Biafrans have paid our dues let others fight for theirs please.
Re: Bakassi: Whose Fault Is It? by joshu5: 4:33pm On Aug 15, 2008
It is really unfortunate this has happened but i am gald that we are all speaking with one voice concerning this matter noboody is glad about it. If our leaders were people who listen it would have being a good thing but we do not have listening leader our opinion to them does not matter if it did bakassi will not  be in camorron today belive me no french speaking country in africa or any were in the world for that matter will give our its territory icj or no icj ruling noboby has come out to tell us the benefits of giving out bakassi to camorron our defence is now left to the mercy of another country, many nigerians will be homesless with no trueroots because there lands belong to someone else the people of bakassi did not even have a say in the matter. Now tell me why people will not start carrying arms so they can figth for there rigths when the very people who are suppose to protect and uphold these rights just don't care belive me it really unfair and a very great injustice.
           Nigerians should please wake up we need to start holding our leaders accountable for there actions especially when it is detrimental to us as a nation and a people.
           Farwell bakassi we will miss you. cry
Re: Bakassi: Whose Fault Is It? by ajadrage: 10:36pm On Aug 15, 2008
Having identified that as citizens of the country Nigeria our rights are being trampled upon flagrantly by those who are supposed to be representing our interests. Having observed how our resources which is supposed to be used for our development is being siphoned by corrupt and inept elements at the helm of state and bureaucracy. Being witnesses everyday to the unabashed show of this aggrandisement before our very eyes with their state of the art cars and tinted screens, derived from our common resources. Seeing the roads that even these state of the art cars ply as pitiful and deplorable, the roads which most depend on for transit to their daily activities. These same impostors, still unleash oppression and brutality with their application of unemployed youths for violent acts, spawning private militias and armies. All negating the terms of their leadership mandate, all negating the terms of our state contract.

These leaders have breached a contract, although the colonial Britain did not give the people a voice, Nigeria is assumed to be a contract. Now, the people are being cheated and the leadership of this country are in breach of this contract. From the North, to the South, East and West , the majority of the Nigerian people who are`repressed continue to groan under the jackboots of injustice. These`are common Nigerians who would give shelter on a rainy day to even strangers. We`have to have a realistic view of a review of the contract, the few elements who have ascribed to themselves the roles of 'domestic colonists', the ones to be found in every part of the country need to be told that the country is not the preserve of a few but of all. Things cannot just continue to follow the way they have been. It is easy for one to say I can do nothing, but in the actions of one individual acting in consonance with other actions of other individuals a movement is created. Nothing should distinguish you from the state nor from the individuals or institutions who are agents of the state. An individual is at par with the state.

The fear of the state is an aberration when the state is not living up to the terms of her responsibilities. A state that does not give sufficient output commensurate with the input of the society toys with decay. It is the duty of the people that make up a state to be alive to their survival. Nigeria is being threatened by inept leadership and extreme primitiveness in a 21st century world. Our needs have surpassed the capabilities of the present leadership cadre. Nigerians must come alive and speak with one voice as the call is being made.

How many of us are ready for this? This is a question one must answer before one apportions any sort of blame. If one is a part of the decay in any way, then one has no moral stand to apportion blames. . .
Re: Bakassi: Whose Fault Is It? by lawry: 6:39pm On Aug 16, 2008
blame our leaders for not doing what they are suppose to do whether it belong to nigeria or not and nigeria i mean we black we have no fear of God we hate each other only we like our own body may God help dem

they were nigerian they should continue to be so ask ur leaders
Re: Bakassi: Whose Fault Is It? by tpia: 6:46pm On Aug 16, 2008
desgiezd:

personally, its annoying to hear someone like oziomatv being called Nigerian. It will only derail the thread.

He will now develop some stupid attitude about how he's not Nigerian, like anyone cares what he wants to call himself.

please stop making him think he's all that. Ask him why he insists on mixing with Nigerians on the internet and he wont be able to give a coherent response.
Re: Bakassi: Whose Fault Is It? by pcicero(m): 9:35pm On Aug 17, 2008
I'm sure some ethnic bigots have succeded in making this forum an avenue to pour their anger at others for their misfortune.

But, how many of us really know the history of this BAKASSI?

Had oil been found there before the fate of this region was decided by the colonial lords?

Have we found out that a part of Northern Cameroon was ceded to Nigeria in a plebscite while the Southern that was erstwhile Nigerian (including Bakassi) agreed to go with Cameroon.

Why was the NCNC formerly National Council of Nigeria and the Cameroons was later changed to National Council of Nigerian Citizens (NCNC)?

please visit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Council_of_Nigeria_and_the_Cameroons

However my grouse with leadership in Nigeria are as follows:

Truly, Nigerians have lived in the place for several years. So, why did we not insist in view of prevalent realities that another referedum be conducted to determine their fate, if the much touted United Nations chater of Right to self determination is not a ruse afterall?

Why didn't our former President (OBJ) consult with the people ( i mean Nigerians) and their representatives in the National Assembly before ratifying the Green Tree Treaty?

Why didn't we explore all diplomatic means by courting the favours of other members of the UN Security Council since France had gone the way of Cameroon?

For the ethnic chauvinists, ponder on these:

During the Civil War, the people of the South South willingly agree to go with Biafra or they were just caught in the cross-fire?

Knowing Nigerian leadership, would Ojukwu not have agreed to cede Bakassi to Cameroon if France had given that option to give him full support?

Was the Biafran Army really in control of the South South during the Civil war?
Re: Bakassi: Whose Fault Is It? by Dreamy: 9:36pm On Aug 17, 2008
The ICJ does not resolve the dispute over Abkhazia and South Ossetia but readily tells Nigeria to hand over Bakassi to Cameroun.

What is easier? Let Russia have South Ossetia (>70% of whose citizen already hold Russian nationality) or Nigeria to cede Bakassi ( all of whose citizens are Nigerian)?
What is more important? The land or the people on the land? In such cases as Bakassi, a plebiscite that takes into view the desire of the people should be effected. Would the Cameroonians treat the Bakassians as brothers? What if they are marginalized or systematically eradicated and the land repopulated with bona fide Cameroonians? The ICJ might have succeeded in curtailing the present human rights of African fishermen while upholding the legality of yesteryear's colonial activities.

Territories are ceded by weaker nations to stronger ones. Cameroon has just proved to be the stronger nation- if not militarily at least diplomatically. Shame on us!
Re: Bakassi: Whose Fault Is It? by oziomatv(m): 9:33am On Aug 18, 2008
tpia:

personally, its annoying to hear someone like oziomatv being called Nigerian. It will only derail the thread.

He will now develop some stupid attitude about how he's not Nigerian, like anyone cares what he wants to call himself.

please stop making him think he's all that. Ask him why he insists on mixing with Nigerians on the internet and he wont be able to give a coherent response.

Babe you can go to Hell for all I cares if you don't like reading my post, Jump inside ocean. And I'll appreciate if you stop tailing me, I don't follow who I hate.
For posting in Nigerian forum, I'll continue till they restitute my Biafran Passport.
Re: Bakassi: Whose Fault Is It? by opdahakim(m): 10:03am On Aug 18, 2008
hello, pls do u know anybody with this yahoo id :hellen_backhouse@yahoo.com, i just want to know may be she is a scammer calling herself member of waterloo investment based in london central
Re: Bakassi: Whose Fault Is It? by mojojojo(m): 12:12pm On Aug 18, 2008
LET BAKASSI GO.

The government tried everything. Went to court and lost. Nigeria is like no other country in Africa. It is a leader country and therefore must appear to respect rules and court decisions. Cameroon has a greater claim to the land of Bakassi than we do, period.

Instead of castigating the government let us be proud of our government for taking a very hard and hurtful decision that many countries like Russia, India, Pakistan, e.t.c are unable to make. This single decision has shown the world that african countries are not savages ready to take up arms against each other to solve the simplest disagreements.

I for one am proud that my country was the first in Africa to take such a monumental decision.

The alternative to this resolution is war.

Na who 4 dis place wan risk his life fight 4 Bakassi.

no one shey, dats what i thought?
Re: Bakassi: Whose Fault Is It? by Okijajuju1(m): 12:17pm On Aug 18, 2008
I am happy for you mojojojo.

Shey because you are not one of the displaced former residents of bakassi abi??

Too bad we have lost one of our largest reserves to ordinary Cameroun.

War would have been a welcomed alternative, afterall no be Russia dey panel Georgia.
Re: Bakassi: Whose Fault Is It? by Caliente(m): 12:59pm On Aug 18, 2008
oziomatv:

Babe you can go to Hell for all I cares if you don't like reading my post, Jump inside ocean. And I'll appreciate if you stop tailing me, I don't follow who I hate.
For posting in Nigerian forum, I'll continue till they restitute my Biafran Passport.

[size=13pt]Ozi nothing do you, spark![/size]
Re: Bakassi: Whose Fault Is It? by abbeyboy(m): 1:10pm On Aug 18, 2008
I have followed with interest the wave of emotions over the Bakassi issue. I giggle anytime i read or hear comments about the matter. In fact, last week Tuesday and Wednesday, all the discussion programmes on radio were so irritating. My grouse with people is this;you blame Obasanjo for ceding the place to Cameroon, for heaven's sake, the only reasonable thing the man could do was to sign the agreement. Again, i ask, the judgement was delivered by the I.C.J well over two years ago, why did we(yes, all those shouting now) not react then? We kept quiet, they signed the Greentree agreement, nobody reacted. So, why the noise now? My concern is that Nigeria has failed the Bakassi people by not preparing to absorb them into a community here in Nigeria. I read a report that a village in China, with the population of over 1 million(yes,ONE MILLION) people were relocated to another place because there was imminent earthquake. Now, Bakassi people are about 300,000. Why did we not provide alternative settlement for them, instead we are busy making noise on media. It's not right!
Re: Bakassi: Whose Fault Is It? by Caliente(m): 1:13pm On Aug 18, 2008
[size=13pt]Why wont Bakassi go or do they want to sell it again to Ghana just like houses are rented to different people at the same time in Lagos? Bakassi is/was a concluded transaction meant to conquer Biafra and now ironically, it has also conquered Nigeria. And you guys think karma is one of Seun's humans-don't-turn-into-animal theory[/size]
Re: Bakassi: Whose Fault Is It? by landis(m): 1:16pm On Aug 18, 2008
blame Obasanjo for ceding the place to Cameroon, for heaven's sake, the only reasonable thing the man could do was to sign the agreement.
with due respect, this is idle talk.

Nobody forced him to sign.

He could as well said, he would not sign, till Nigeria National Assembly approves.

US/UK/UN cannot force him to put pen to paper.

OBJ had chance to put a stop. He did not. He failed himself.
Re: Bakassi: Whose Fault Is It? by Caliente(m): 1:18pm On Aug 18, 2008
[size=13pt]I do sincerely pity the displaced inhabitants of Bakassi but I don't give a SH1T about the loss of the land itself. How can you sell something and you still hold on tight to it after evolution has overtaken the proceeds of the sale?[/size]
Re: Bakassi: Whose Fault Is It? by emmydee(m): 4:54pm On Aug 18, 2008
Cameroun might soon regret accepting Bakassi especially when the militants start kidnapping people in Yaunde and Duala!
Re: Bakassi: Whose Fault Is It? by huxley(m): 11:10am On Aug 19, 2008
The primary question we should be asking ourselves in this day and age is

"What is the proper and responsible way for determining the borders of states and countries"

Or for that matter within states, what are the proper and responsible way for deciding the borders between ethnically different regions within the same country/state, say the borders between Yoruba land and Igbo land?

I see some people here rattling their sabers and calling for severe repercusions one those responsible for the peaceful transfer of Bakkasi to Cameroon. I would venture to ask, "In which country did this land belong 100 years ago and how would the then residents have self-identified?"

Most of the states of the world are constituted by a patchwork of several ethnically different peoples living together on the same administrative authority. Think of Europe today. Most of central Europe from regions like Belgium, parts of France, Germany etc could have made claims of belonging to different state than were they are today. After the 1st world war, there was essentially a major redrawing of borders. These regions no live peacefully in new Europe that is advancing ever so rapidly and getting closer together under one governance. I think we Africans should learn from this. Alas, we may still have many dunces about who can only think in a small-minded regionalistic/nationalistic sense.

In international affairs, the honouring of agreements is considered a very gentlemanly type of conduct. If it is the case that this territory was used as a bargaining chip during the Biafra war, and there is evidence for that, then I think it behoves the Nigerian government to honour that deal. I particularly do not consider this story as true, it may only be aprocryphal. Was the territory in disputed then? Why would it have been worthy of been given away?

I wonder if both countries would have laid such a strong claim on this land had it been a poor wilderness. I bet the people of Bakkasi and their immediate neighbours (including humanitarians on both sides) are happy that little or no blood has been split of this little piece of territory.

Would be interesting to know what factors played in Cameroons favour in their claim for the territory apart from the so-called Biafra war deal. Without such a deal, and if it is true that the majority population currently self-identify as Nigerian, then it would stand to reason that the territory should have gone to Nigeria. There surely are other prevailing factors.
Re: Bakassi: Whose Fault Is It? by udezue(m): 11:40am On Aug 19, 2008
The ceding of over 300,000 Efiks to the blood thirsty Cameroonian government by equally bloodthirsty Nigeria should serve as a clear warning to East and SOUTH that its time to unite and quit the divisions we have created among us. I mean how can you simply sell off 300,000 ppl in their to another country without their consent? Its clear to me that as usual Nigeria does not give a Bleep about what we want. They never wanted to be ceded to another nation. We never wanted to be with Nigeria but with Biafra after the genocides. The oil producing states in the East/South want to manage their resources, benefit from it and also reduce the environmental damages that are going to have long term implications. NIGERIA SAID NO TO ALL.

People talk about relocating them elsewhere like as if you will like to be uprooted from your own native land taken somewhere else. I mean are they getting compensated? Hell no. Bakassi belongs to the Efik people and they should have a greater say so than anyone but oh well they are Easterners so who gives a Bleep about them or their land.
Re: Bakassi: Whose Fault Is It? by huxley(m): 11:59am On Aug 19, 2008
I have just read up on some background to the disputed territory and it seems to me that this is another case of high politics and international affairs arrogantly riding roughshod over the sentiments of the people involved.

The people in Bakassi clearly self-identify as Nigerians and have been under Nigerian administration for many decades. They should have held a plebiscite there to give the people a chance to express their opinions. Such was the case in the 60s when many lands swapped sides, some going to Nigeria, some to Cameroon.

In my opinion, this decision is triumph of arrogant and high-handed international politics over the desires of the local people. It is decisions of these nature that lay the ground for future resentments and unrests such as we are seeing in Georgia over Ossetia.

The Nigeria government should be commended for exercising such restraints and being reasonable with the negotiations. If Bakassi is to remain a Cameroonian territory, I wonder whether the Bakassians will soon forget that there were once administered from Nigeria, much like the other Nigerians who once belonged to the German administered Kamerun are living peacefully in Nigeria.
Re: Bakassi: Whose Fault Is It? by huxley(m): 12:15pm On Aug 19, 2008
Some historical background of the Bakassi region here: http://www.omoigui.com/files/the_bakassi_story.pdf
Re: Bakassi: Whose Fault Is It? by naijaking1: 12:58pm On Aug 19, 2008
Where are the so called South-south leaders of thought? The Diete-spiffs, the Ediwin Clarks, Ken saro wiwas, etc who thought that the Biafran struggle was an opportunity to vanquish their Igbo cousins. Save for the likes of M.T Mbu and others, I would have urged Cameroon to go after Calabar next, then PH, and Warri! You see how easy it was for Gowon and OBJ to exchange a stripe of desert land in the north for a whole LGA in the south. Did somebody say everything east of the Niger belongs to Cameroon? Well, the ICJ with its French president will determine all that.
Re: Bakassi: Whose Fault Is It? by texazzpete(m): 1:05pm On Aug 19, 2008
@huxley
We consciously took the Bakassi case to the ICJ and swore we would abide by the outcome, no matter which way it went before the result came out.
Were we forced to take the case to the ICj? Why did Nigerians not make a fuss about the issue then?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How The Primaries Was Won!! The Politics Of Breaking Atiku's Hold In SE And SS / Another Great Man Of God Gives Clear Verdict About February Polls / Breaking!!! Authentic Buhari Ministerial List

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.