Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,684 members, 7,955,542 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 08:47 AM

Opulence And Chaos Meet In An African Boomtown - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Opulence And Chaos Meet In An African Boomtown (2410 Views)

Jonathan: 'Don't Handover', An African Leader Urged Me After I Lost / Saraki, Wike Meet In Porthacourt. / Thugs Invade INEC Office In Agege. Chaos Ensues (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Opulence And Chaos Meet In An African Boomtown by bluehorizo(m): 4:01pm On Aug 17, 2008
?Just another Saturday night in Lagos, one of Africa’s money- and contrast-rich boomtowns. Already a city of superlatives on the continent (it has variously been deemed Africa’s most traffic-plagued, most populous and fastest-growing megacity), Lagos has a new title to add to its mantel: most expensive.

Lagos has always been one of the most powerful commercial hubs in West Africa, ever since slaves were first shipped from here to Europe and the Americas. But because of the rising price of oil, the declining United States dollar, the relocation of foreign workers from the oil-rich but kidnapping-prone Niger Delta, large privatization efforts and a mad dash for the city’s remaining plots of land, Lagos is more flush with cash and full of glitter than ever.

A recent study of the most expensive cities for expatriates by the consulting firm Mercer found that Lagos ranked 30th, making it only slightly less costly than New York but considerably more expensive than Los Angeles, Miami and Washington.

Even European cities like Stockholm and Barcelona, Spain, were found to be more affordable — and in Lagos the high prices are that much more eye-popping because the average Nigerian survives on less than $2 a day.

Evidence of vast amounts of money floating around the “islands” — two small pieces of land poking into the Atlantic that anchor the city’s economic activity and are home to banks, consulates and oil and telecommunications companies — is everywhere. Dinner for two at an average restaurant costs more than $200. A cocktail costs more than $15. A box of cereal costs $12 at a supermarket. Hotel rooms under $400 are difficult to find.

In the aisles of glistening new malls, expatriates and wealthy Nigerians often buy $10,000 watches and $5,000 cellphones. New BMWs, Mercedes-Benzes and Bentleys plod through grinding traffic, bumping over rocks and weaving around potholes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/13/world/africa/13lagos.html?ref=world
Re: Opulence And Chaos Meet In An African Boomtown by bluehorizo(m): 4:05pm On Aug 17, 2008
Some are true and while some are false. In lagos of today you can still find hotels of 2000 naira and i wonder who would spend a whole lot of money as much as $5000 on a phone. I think these people should investigate their stories before taking it to the print. Though Lagos is expensive but not as portrayed by this Western media.
Re: Opulence And Chaos Meet In An African Boomtown by doyin13(m): 6:37pm On Aug 17, 2008
Half False Tori.
Re: Opulence And Chaos Meet In An African Boomtown by seyibrown(f): 6:48pm On Aug 19, 2008
@bluehorizo,

Bros abeg, which part of Lagos you go find hotel room for NGN2000?

Wetin be the standard of that kain hotel?

U fit forward me names and pictures of those kain hotels?

How accessible are these NGN2000 hotels from Muritala Muhammed Airport?
Re: Opulence And Chaos Meet In An African Boomtown by tpia: 7:51pm On Aug 19, 2008
hotel in lagos for N2000 ke?

which part?
Re: Opulence And Chaos Meet In An African Boomtown by Kobojunkie: 8:18pm On Aug 19, 2008
A Box of breakfast cereal for $12 bucks?? WHAT BRAND MOON ROCKS?? ROFLMAO!!!

A CockTail for $15 Bucks? jeezzz, I guess Mohitos are out for me then !!!
Re: Opulence And Chaos Meet In An African Boomtown by cescky(m): 8:18pm On Aug 19, 2008
bluehorizo:

Some are true and while some are force. In lagos of today you can still find hotels of 2000 naira and i[b] wonder who would spend a whole lot of money as much as $5000 on a phone[/b]. I think these people should investigate their stories before taking it to the print. Though Lagos is expensive but not as portrayed by this Western media.

u never see anything o!

@tpai
u may see a challet or a motel in okomaiko or alagbado for that price grin grin afterall na still lagos
Re: Opulence And Chaos Meet In An African Boomtown by bluehorizo(m): 8:29pm On Aug 19, 2008
Hotel rooms under $400 are difficult to find

Yes you can find hotels of 2000 naira in Lagos. It might be of low standard and not in a good enviroment. Unlike how the writer generalized that "Hotel rooms under $400 are difficult to find".
Re: Opulence And Chaos Meet In An African Boomtown by RichyBlacK(m): 8:41pm On Aug 19, 2008
Lagos is expensive, but the truth is that almost everything is over-priced. The bubble is waiting to burst!
Re: Opulence And Chaos Meet In An African Boomtown by bluehorizo(m): 8:46pm On Aug 19, 2008
RichyBlacK:

Lagos is expensive, but the truth is that almost everything is over-priced. The bubble is waiting to burst!

Exactly
Re: Opulence And Chaos Meet In An African Boomtown by RichyBlacK(m): 9:27pm On Aug 19, 2008
bluehorizo:

Exactly

I saw an advert for a house in Ikoyi (averaged-sized two-storey building), to let, for $1 million per annum. Nna, I laff taya!

I will buy 4 SOLID houses in a Houston suburb for $1 million!
Re: Opulence And Chaos Meet In An African Boomtown by tpia: 5:23am On Aug 20, 2008
bluehorizo:

Yes you can find hotels of 2000 naira in Lagos. It might be of low standard and not in a good enviroment. "[/b].

will definitely check that next time I'm in lagos.
Re: Opulence And Chaos Meet In An African Boomtown by landis(m): 7:31am On Aug 20, 2008
Good hotels in Lagos starts from N60,000 per night. Food not included.

These hotels are 3stars as they do not match same quality as 5stars in other part of the world.

I hope new radisson would not join same price range.

Yes, but Lagos/Nigeria does not follow any economic theory; simply there too much money in the informal sector.
Re: Opulence And Chaos Meet In An African Boomtown by bluehorizo(m): 9:16am On Aug 20, 2008
landis:

Good hotels in Lagos starts from N60,000 per night. Food not included.

These hotels are 3stars as they do not match same quality as 5stars in other part of the world.

Good hotels in Lagos starts from N20,000 per night.
Re: Opulence And Chaos Meet In An African Boomtown by bluehorizo(m): 9:54am On Aug 20, 2008
Standard Double room in Lagos Airport Hotel is $175,the Luxury room is $255

http://www.lagosairporthotelltd.com/rezeasy.html

Protea Hotel Oakwood Park Nigeria
Lekki Expressway/Chevron Drive, LAGOS, Nigeria

SINGLE ROOM $295

DOUBLE ROOM$340

BREAKFAST INCLUSIVE

http://www.southtravels.com/africa/nigeria/oakwoodpark/index.html
Re: Opulence And Chaos Meet In An African Boomtown by landis(m): 11:11am On Aug 20, 2008
bluehorizo:

Standard Double room in Lagos Airport Hotel is $175,the Luxury room is $255

http://www.lagosairporthotelltd.com/rezeasy.html

Protea Hotel Oakwood Park Nigeria
Lekki Expressway/Chevron Drive, LAGOS, Nigeria

SINGLE ROOM $295

DOUBLE ROOM$340

BREAKFAST INCLUSIVE

http://www.southtravels.com/africa/nigeria/oakwoodpark/index.html

Airport hotel is one of the WORST places to stay in Nigeria. The TAP water is BROWN.

The bed cover is a disaster and smiley. Please dont even mention that hotel!

Protea Oakwood starts from $360(special rates). Called them and dont believe the crap on the website.
Re: Opulence And Chaos Meet In An African Boomtown by PapaBrowne(m): 12:47pm On Aug 20, 2008
The article is not talking about all them Okokomaiko or Alagbado. All those ones ain't Lagos.
It's talking about the "Island" and surroundings.

RichyBlacK:

Very True! I pity for those buying properties at outrageous prices.Once glut takes over, the bubble will burst and its happening soonest.

landis:

Airport hotel is one of the WORST places to stay in Nigeria. The TAP water is BROWN.

The bed cover is a disaster and smiley. Please don't even mention that hotel!

Very bad hotel. Stayed there once cos I arrived late and it was closest to the airport. The place is a horror.

landis:

Protea Oakwood starts from $360(special rates). Called them and don't believe the crap on the website.

Protea in V.I charges about the same or even higher and guess what: They are fully booked for the next two years!!

I wonder why the market can't develop quality new areas that would bring down these prices!! Lagos really defies normal economics.
Re: Opulence And Chaos Meet In An African Boomtown by Gamine(f): 12:59pm On Aug 20, 2008
Its no surprise eh.

The island is fricking expensive

Some lands go for 1 billion naira

just a land o, imagine the kinda house

you could buy with that kinda money in the States.

Anyways some of the statistics are wrong

12 dollars for a box of cereal na lie o!

3,000 dollars per month for an apartment? na lie!

i live in a three-bedroom apartment and it dosnt cost more than 1400 dollars per month!

chei!

this pple can blow some stuff outta porportion!!

Its Expensive yeah, but we dey Happy
Re: Opulence And Chaos Meet In An African Boomtown by Kobojunkie: 2:40pm On Aug 20, 2008
$1400 A month for an Apartment??  You can get a 3 bedroom here in Chicago downtown at that price. What in the world? You could even rent a whole house for that amount down in the surburbs.
Re: Opulence And Chaos Meet In An African Boomtown by Gamine(f): 2:42pm On Aug 20, 2008
Omo na naija o.

lol

Its a Serviced Apartment

so the Service charge is included

its even a lot less than 1400 dollars, more 1100 than 1400
Re: Opulence And Chaos Meet In An African Boomtown by Kobojunkie: 3:26pm On Aug 20, 2008
I am speaking of serviced apartments( management takes care of maintainance and stuff),  infact,  those downtown highrise buildings in the middle of chicago itself. With the best view of the lake and all. NA WA OO!!!! Where are these people running to with these absurd prices??
Re: Opulence And Chaos Meet In An African Boomtown by bluehorizo(m): 3:31pm On Aug 20, 2008
Gamine,your resources of paying $1400 for a 3 bedroom apartment all in the name of shelter can be channeled into a building your own home and you will become a home owner instead of being subjected to second slavery.
Re: Opulence And Chaos Meet In An African Boomtown by Gamine(f): 3:36pm On Aug 20, 2008
The thing is, it aint a long time ishe

so its ok for now, besides we are three in the flat

what am i doing alone with three bedrooms, lol

i get pikin

Its one of the cheapest on the Island, if not the cheapest sef

na so we see am o
Re: Opulence And Chaos Meet In An African Boomtown by IykeD1(m): 5:22pm On Aug 20, 2008

Some are true and while some are false. In lagos of today you can still find hotels of 2000 naira and i wonder who would spend a whole lot of money as much as $5000 on a phone. I think these people should investigate their stories before taking it to the print. Though Lagos is expensive but not as portrayed by this Western media.

The fact is no foreigner in their right mind will rent a N2,000 hotel in Lagos, they will freak out if they
are being expected to use water in a bucket to flush the toilet, are you kidding me? I am no foreigner,
but I know you won't find me in one of those hotels.

I personally know someone who paid about $1500 for an Iphone in Nigeria, many more spend about
a $1,000 on same. Also, why do people think spending $3,000 a month in rent is a lie, do you guys
know how much it cost the Oil companies to rent a place for their exapts? I know for a fact that some
of these companies spend anywhere from $40,000 to $100,000 a year to rent apartments that meets
their standards., so the writer knows exactly what he/she is talking about.

The bottom line is Lagos is a bubble waiting to burst, short and simple. For now, there is just too much
money from every conceivable [b]rackets [/b]at play, most especially in the Oil and the looting industry.
Re: Opulence And Chaos Meet In An African Boomtown by Kobojunkie: 5:34pm On Aug 20, 2008
When you say Lagos is a Bubble waiting to burst, what do you mean? These rents/Apartments are payed for with cash and not credit from banks.
Re: Opulence And Chaos Meet In An African Boomtown by Gamine(f): 5:36pm On Aug 20, 2008
I am waiting to hear this analysis
Re: Opulence And Chaos Meet In An African Boomtown by IykeD1(m): 8:42pm On Aug 20, 2008

When you say Lagos is a Bubble waiting to burst, what do you mean? These rents/Apartments are payed for with cash and not credit from banks.

I am no economist but something tells me that its a non-sustainable trend. Sooner or later, the cost of doing business (paying rent alone) will out-weigh whatever profits that brought the company in there to begin with.
Even in the US, companies relocates all the time when the cost of rents becomes unbearable or obscene unless
we are saying Lagos defies every common logic known to mankind per cost of doing business.

Simply put, can these oil companies continue to shell out $50,000 or more to pay for rent for an employee (yet to factor the salary) should the barrel of oil drop to half of what it is today? Since oil is the life line of the country, will there be that much easy cash in circulation from government contracts if oil prices fall further? One can only imagine the amount of money made by stock market speculators that went into buying real estate in Lagos last
year, that is certainly not happening this year because the market is seeing serious red.
Re: Opulence And Chaos Meet In An African Boomtown by tpia: 8:49pm On Aug 20, 2008
Lagos has always been that way- huge gap between the rich and the poor.

nothing new there.

Some of the most expensive property has always been located in Lagos.

Dont confuse lagos money with relatively recent oil money please.

Lagos is not the Niger delta.
Re: Opulence And Chaos Meet In An African Boomtown by Kobojunkie: 8:58pm On Aug 20, 2008
Iyke-D:

I am no economist but something tells me that its a non-sustainable trend. Sooner or later, the cost of doing business (paying rent alone) will out-weigh whatever profits that brought the company in there to begin with.
Even in the US, companies relocates all the time when the cost of rents becomes unbearable or obscene unless
we are saying Lagos defies every common logic known to mankind per cost of doing business.

Simply put, can these oil companies continue to shell out $50,000 or more to pay for rent for an employee (yet to factor the salary) should the barrel of oil drop to half of what it is today? Since oil is the life line of the country, will there be that much easy cash in circulation from government contracts if oil prices fall further? One can only imagine the amount of money made by stock market speculators that went into buying real estate in Lagos last
year, that is certainly not happening this year because the market is seeing serious red.

I agree with you there. However, how much of the money comes from Oil Companies? I am not sure @Gamine, who has graciously provided us with information, works for any of the oil companies, and I can not state with confidence that 30% of those who are willing to pay these absurd prices get their money from the oil sector. As for drastic drop in oil prices, I doubt we will be seeing that happen any time soon.

There is the boom in financial sector, and when it comes to Lagos, I would say more money flows in to fuel these spending sprees from that sector than does from the oil sector. Then we have the 419 YAHOO boys. Would this assumption be wrong?
Re: Opulence And Chaos Meet In An African Boomtown by IykeD1(m): 9:01pm On Aug 20, 2008

Lagos has always been that way- huge gap between the rich and the poor.

nothing new there.

Some of the most expensive property has always been located in Lagos.

Dont confuse lagos money with relatively recent oil money please.

Lagos is not the Niger delta.

Relatively recent oil money? I see your point but are you saying the oil & gas industry
by and large has not had any impact in Lagos economy since oil was found in Nigeria?

Is someone suggesting that the current pace real estate is going up in Lagos is one
that can be sustained in the years to come if there is a drastic drop in the price of oil?
Re: Opulence And Chaos Meet In An African Boomtown by tpia: 9:08pm On Aug 20, 2008
Iyke-D:

Relatively recent oil money? I see your point but are you saying the oil & gas industry
by and large has not had any impact in Lagos economy since oil was found in Nigeria?

Is someone suggesting that the current pace real estate is going up in Lagos is one
that can be sustained in the years to come if there is a drastic drop in the price of oil?

I didnt say it has had no impact. Dont read me wrong.

I said lagos has always had this disparity in lifestyle. You'll find grinding poverty in lagos and also the stupendously rich. Both living not too far from one another. This preceded oil money.

Lagos has always been a center of trade. Its a seaport for crying out loud.

The Europeans liked the area- that's why they gave so many places there, British and Portuguese names. Even the Bini were struggling for the place before the British arrived. The people are accomodating- which is more than can be said for most other parts of Nigeria.

Returning Brazilian slaves also made lagos their home.

If oil money dries up many people will return to their states of origin and leave Lagos decongested. It doesnt mean the original inhabitants of Lagos will also leave.

its like saying Kaduna wont function without oil money, imo.
Re: Opulence And Chaos Meet In An African Boomtown by IykeD1(m): 9:14pm On Aug 20, 2008

I agree with you there. However, how much of the money comes from Oil Companies. I am not sure @Gamine works for any of the oil companies and I can not state that even 30% of those who are willing to pay these absurd prices get their money from the oil sector. There is the boom in financial sector of recent and I believe when it comes to Lagos, I would say more money flows in to fuel these spending sprees from that sector than does from the oil sector. Would this be a wrong assumption?

I agree, certainly not all the money is coming from the oil sector, but I think there will be a major damage to any
economy if the industry that is responsible for about 20% of GDP, 95% of foreign exchange earnings, and about 80% of budgetary revenues (from CIA world fact book) collapses.

There will be a multiplier effect and the financial sector and other sectors will be sure to catch a serious cold if that was to happen. Truth of the matter is that very few of the banks will be what they are today without the money flowing from oil & gas either directly or indirectly through state governments, etc. Also a lot of the looted government money flowed indirectly to aid some banks in shoring up their capital base, thus making it possible for them to have the wherewithal to be able to pay their staff what they pay today.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Concern Grows Over The Whereabouts Of Nigerian President - Voice Of America / Amaechi: Presidency Plots To Destabilise Rivers Again / Biafra Anthem

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.