Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,126 members, 7,835,775 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:51 PM

Is It Biblically Right To Have Tattoo On The Body? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Biblically Right To Have Tattoo On The Body? (1865 Views)

Is This Biblically Right To Dance Break Dance And Do Stunt In Church? / Biblically Proving Why Nigeria Can Never Have A Good Leader / Tattoo On The Body Is Evil (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Biblically Right To Have Tattoo On The Body? by oloriooko(m): 4:45pm On Aug 18, 2008
Can a Christian have tattoos on his/her body?

Please i need someone to enlighten me.
Re: Is It Biblically Right To Have Tattoo On The Body? by AKO1(m): 4:47pm On Aug 18, 2008
Here we go again:::::::
Re: Is It Biblically Right To Have Tattoo On The Body? by james1(m): 3:09pm On Aug 20, 2008
Hello.
The bible did not encourage anyone to put marks,so some of our ancestors are guilty of tribal marks that they put on their children.(tattoos are marks you know)i fancy tattoos i did rather have semi,than permanent one though.
I can't remember exactly what verse but it is in the old testament. cool
Re: Is It Biblically Right To Have Tattoo On The Body? by bobokanis(m): 1:32pm On Aug 22, 2008
Thanks @ james1, am very familiar with the passage you are refering to but do christians live by what the old testament commands? cos there are a whole lot of things the old testament talked about that we no longer regard.
Re: Is It Biblically Right To Have Tattoo On The Body? by Ivvie: 6:22am On Aug 27, 2008
`
Re: Is It Biblically Right To Have Tattoo On The Body? by Seabe(m): 7:45am On Aug 27, 2008
Hello guys, this is an interesting subject, may be let me ask something before i continue, what if a person who previously has permanant tatoos before he was converted, i think in this case you can just stay the way you are. It's really challenging, i will return soon, if i won't forget lol with a better answer, coz if you say christians shouldnt tatoo their bodies you must give a spiritual reason why, not just appearance smiley
Re: Is It Biblically Right To Have Tattoo On The Body? by Yisraylite(m): 8:55am On Aug 27, 2008
Lev 19:28 You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor tattoo any marks on you: I [am] YAHAWAH.

Since Christian Pastors teach that YAH'S Laws have been nailed to the cross, they shouldn't have any probelms with marking their skin with abominations smiley

Remember everyone is free to do or believe what they want, But this is what is written in Torah and Abba YAHAWAH's perfect  Laws cannot be changed by anyone.

Psa 19:7   The law of YAHAWH is perfect, converting the person;The testimony of YAHAWAH is sure, making wise the simple;

Psa 19:8   The statutes of YAHAWAH are right, rejoicing the heart; The commandment of YAHAWAH is pure, enlightening the eyes;

Word to da wise!!! cheesy

Salamah
Yisraylite
Re: Is It Biblically Right To Have Tattoo On The Body? by dudubobo1: 11:42am On Aug 27, 2008
what exactly is this yawa that you are writing and also salawa? do you write in English at all?
Re: Is It Biblically Right To Have Tattoo On The Body? by oloriooko(m): 12:37pm On Aug 27, 2008
@Yisraylite
It is evident that you practise Judaism, so please spare us of all these hebrew words.

what exactly is this yawa that you are writing and also salawa? do you write in English at all?
Very funny grin

Are we still bound to obey every Old Testament rules?
Re: Is It Biblically Right To Have Tattoo On The Body? by ssRhino: 1:07pm On Aug 27, 2008
It is wrong biblically.
Re: Is It Biblically Right To Have Tattoo On The Body? by Gamine(f): 1:37pm On Aug 27, 2008
We arent bound to the LAW.

i will tattoo myself if i wanna, but really whats the point undecided
Re: Is It Biblically Right To Have Tattoo On The Body? by Yisraylite(m): 1:48pm On Aug 27, 2008
@oloriooko

oloriooko:

@Yisraylite
It is evident that you practise Judaism, so please spare us of all these hebrew words.
Very funny grin

Are we still bound to obey every Old Testament rules?

It's quite typical for a brainwashed christian to respond as you've just done  grin You asked a question, I gave you the answer from the book of Leviticus, but instead of focusing on the anwser(Lev 19:28) you've chosen to tangle with me. You simply cannot win in an encounter with me even if you chosen to attack the messenger instead of the message. Be careful as not to step on this lion's tail!!

Please don't make an ass of yourself by making assumptions about me. Ask me instead and I'll be glad to answer. There's no such thing as Judaism in Torah, the letter J dosen't even exist in the hebrew alphabet. Abba YAHAWAH never gave mankind any religion(Christianity, Islam,Judaisim) This is what is written

Pro 6:23   For the commandment is a lamp, and the law a light; Reproofs of instruction(Torah) are the way of life,

Ecc 12:13   Here is the conclusion: Reverence YAHAWAH and obey HIS Commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. (Not just Hebrew, Moslem, Christian or Jew, but all mankind period!)

DID YOU GET THAT,THE WHOLE DUTY OF MAN IS TO OBEY ABBA YAHAWAH'S PERFECT  LAWS OF LOVE, PEACE AND UNITY

Yer 6:10 To whom shall I speak and give warning, That they may hear? Indeed their ear is uncircumcised, and they cannot give heed. Behold, the LAW of YAHAWAH is a reproach to them; They have no delight in it

Yer 2:8  The priests said not, Where is YAHAWAH? and they that handle the law knew me not: the pastors also transgressed against me, and the prophets prophesied by Baal, and walked after [things that] do not profit

It's sad that Christians scream HalleluYAH(Praise YAH) every sunday and don't even have a clue that they are speaking Hebrew,yet The Creator's Name annoys you? Does it hurt to hear the truth? if so then come out of your darkness Bro!!!

Wow!!!! Now if you still wanna laugh then laugh at you own ignorance

Salamah
Yisraylite smiley
Re: Is It Biblically Right To Have Tattoo On The Body? by Gamine(f): 2:05pm On Aug 27, 2008
Of course. Of course a Christian can do just about anything. tongue

That may or may not mean its okay. The real question is, is it a sin?

Don't think for a moment that I have not given this thought.

The most common verse people point to is Leviticus 19:28:

Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD.
--Leviticus 19:28 (NIV)

Here are some other things written in the same chapter:

26 Do not eat any meat with the blood still in it. Do not practice divination or sorcery. 27 Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard. 28 Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD.
31 Do not turn to mediums or seek out spiritists, for you will be defiled by them. I am the LORD your God.

These were commands to the Levites, and as you can see by reading these Old Covenant commands, they speak very much against idolatry. It can be problematic when scripture is quoted out of context or without regard to other scripture, and this is one case where pointing to a single verse has created an inaccurate legalism.

Many Christians also point to this verse:

19 Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.
--1 Corinthians (NIV)

Some Christians will argue that these verses condemn tattooing. Other Christians point to these verses and say "I am glorifying God with this tattoo." By my interpretation, this verse is saying that I may get a tattoo, so long as it honors God and is in no way, shape or form indicitave of idolatry. Idolatry is the key issue here. We need to avoid idolatry of other gods and the passive idolatry of vanity.

Romans 10:23 says:

23 But the man who has doubts is condemned if he eats, because his eating is not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin.
--Romans 10:23 (NIV)

In other words, if I am getting a tattoo, I better be doing it out of faith. I'm not doing it out of pride or vanity--but because of my love of God. This is important.

So often Chrstians decide something is wrong not because of what they have read in the Bible, but because of what they have been told the Bible says. We are lucky these days--each and every one of us can look to the Bible for ourselves to see what is written on a given subject.

I don't favor loose or liberal interpretation of scripture at all. I think loose interpretation of scripture is a result of longing for a desired statement (or lack thereof) in scripture. Legalism can be bad too. Legalism is bad because it is based on incorrect interpretation of scripture.

I am a conservative when it comes to reading the Bible. Here is how I read it: Yes, it is okay to get a tattoo, so long as it is not idolatrous or pagan and it glorifies God.

I am getting a tattoo, and, being someone with many Christian friends, I am likely to get some negative remarks about it. I'm not being defensive, because I too used to think that tattoos were prohibited by Christian law. They are not.

I want[b] my body to "be a temple," for certain. I'm not about to get a pagan or idolatrous tattoo. I am going to get a Jesus glorifying tattoo.[/b]
Re: Is It Biblically Right To Have Tattoo On The Body? by Yisraylite(m): 2:37pm On Aug 27, 2008
@ Gamine

These were commands to the Levites, and as you can see by reading these Old Covenant commands, they speak very much against idolatry. It can be problematic when scripture is quoted out of context or without regard to other scripture, and this is one case where pointing to a single verse has created an inaccurate legalism.

This is the definition of SIN from your Zeus testament:

1Jo 3:4   Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

This is what the Law says again: Lev 19:28 You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor tattoo any marks on you: I [am] YAHAWAH

Utter nonsense !  Quit trying to twist the words of Torah. These commands where for the Children of Yisrayl and all foreign people who dwelt with them,not just the levites only as you've tried to spin the facts. The chapter starts with this

Lev 19:1   AND YAHAWAH spoke to Mosheh, saying,
Lev 19:2   "Speak to all the congregation of the children of Yisrayl, and say to them: 'You shall be holy, for I YAHAWAH your FATHER am Holy

So much for your statement "these were commands to the levites"

Don't try to justify your stiffneckedness, you are free to do whatever you want, you can even turn your whole body into a living tattoo bill board, that's your cup of tea

One LAW for mankind !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/color][color=#990000]

Exd 12:49 One law shall be for the native-born and for the stranger who dwells among you."

Num 15:16 One law and one custom shall be for you and for the stranger who dwells with you.

Num 15:29 You shall have one law for him who sins unintentionally, for him who is native-born
among the children of Yisrayl and for the stranger who dwells among them.

Ecc 12:13    Now all has been heard; here is the conclusion of the matter: Reverence YAHAWAH and
keep HIS INSTRUCTION, for this is the whole duty of man.

Salamah
Yisraylite  smiley
Re: Is It Biblically Right To Have Tattoo On The Body? by Gamine(f): 2:53pm On Aug 27, 2008
As you can see, many of the other 'rules' that are laid out in Leviticus are not followed today. Does that mean that the whole book of Leviticus, or even the Bible should not be followed? No! It just means that we need to carefully analyze what the theme of the Bible is, and realize what it means for us today. The book of Leviticus contained several 'laws' that were made to keep the children of Israel healthy and holy for God. Tattoos in those days were extremely dangerous and could result in injury, disease, or death. The verse also is referring to a pagan ritual of putting tattoo marks on oneself for the dead, in order to protect oneself from the spirit world.
Why then, should one get a tattoo? A person does not need to get a tattoo! I am not advocating that everyone should get a tattoo - rather I am saying that we should not shun those who have tattoos, or make the blanket statement that they can't be a Christian. Some Christians get tattoos to show their allegiance to Christ, while others just think that it is something cool to do.
I personally got my tattoo because it is something that I thought would look cool. I also wanted to have a tattoo that reminded me of my commitment to Christ as well as announcing that commitment to others.

Please think very carefully about getting a tattoo before you get one. It is not a rash or quick decision. Always get the permission of your parents if you are still living at home with them, and be very careful that you get your tattoo at a clean and healthy place.

The commands about idolatry obviously still stand. In Leviticus 19:28, was God commanding that we not tattoo our bodies or that we not worship false idols? Its hard to say without further reading in the New Testament.

Lets not forget what Romans 10:4 says:

Christ is the end of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes.
--Romans 10:4 (NIV)

23 Before this faith came, we were held prisoners by the law, locked up until faith should be revealed. 24 So the law was put in charge to lead us to Christ that we might be justified by faith. 25 Now that faith has come, we are no longer under the supervision of the law Christ is the new covenant.
--Galatians 3:23-25

www.christianteens.com
Re: Is It Biblically Right To Have Tattoo On The Body? by Yisraylite(m): 3:04pm On Aug 27, 2008
@ Gamine

This is why I call your new testament pure confusion(mystery Babylon wine of fornication). You quote this"Christ is the end of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes.
    --Romans 10:4 (NIV)

Yet your mythological Christ says this:

Mat 5:17   "Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill.

Mat 5:18   "For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled.

Mat 5:19   "Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven

And his mythological Brother James says this"

Jam 2:10   For whoever shall keep the whole law, and yet stumble in one point, he is guilty of all.

Jam 2:11   For He who said, "Do not commit adultery,"[fn2] also said, "Do not murder."[fn3] Now if you do not commit adultery, but you do murder, you have become a transgressor of the law.

Do You really see how confused you and your christianity are?

1Jo 3:4   Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

Is your Christ still the end of the LAW ? WHEN the creator  says It is the whole duty of man to keep His laws. So which one is it really? In spite of the contradictions in your false testament  try not to fool yourself

I almost forgot this one also from your book

Rev 22:14   Blessed are those who do His commandments,fn7 that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter through the gates into the city

Do you follow the teaching of your book by doing His commandments?

Salamah
Yisraylite smiley
Re: Is It Biblically Right To Have Tattoo On The Body? by Gamine(f): 3:19pm On Aug 27, 2008
Yisraylite

Dont bother trying to understand stuff your mind is closed to.

like HOW

undecided undecided
Re: Is It Biblically Right To Have Tattoo On The Body? by Yisraylite(m): 3:37pm On Aug 27, 2008
@Gamine

Gamine:

Yisraylite

Dont bother trying to understand stuff your mind is closed to.

like HOW

undecided undecided

Ha ha  ha !! Closed to. I used believe this christianity garbage over 15 years ago, Thank Abba He opened my eyes and brought me out of it.

As your James calls it The law of Liberty, Yes it is the Law of Abba that liberated me from all that trash and contradiction  smiley so keep thinking that the law is here to keep you in bondage, as for me I'm free as a bird grin

Rather than deviate from the question by making me your focus, Please explain to me these contradictions in your assertion that your paul made stating that Christ is the end of the law? when did your christ tell Paul  to go against his words" I HAVE NOT COME TO DESTROY THE LAW"

Salamah
Yisraylite  smiley
Re: Is It Biblically Right To Have Tattoo On The Body? by oloriooko(m): 12:27pm On Sep 01, 2008
It's quite typical for a brainwashed christian to respond as you've just done Grin You asked a question, I gave you the answer from the book of Leviticus, but instead of focusing on the anwser(Lev 19:28) you've chosen to tangle with me. You simply cannot win in an encounter with me even if you chosen to attack the messenger instead of the message. Be careful as not to step on this lion's tail!!

Please don't make an ass of yourself by making assumptions about me. Ask me instead and I'll be glad to answer. There's no such thing as Judaism in Torah, the letter J dosen't even exist in the hebrew alphabet. Abba YAHAWAH never gave mankind any religion(Christianity, Islam,Judaisim) This is what is written

Pro 6:23 For the commandment is a lamp, and the law a light; Reproofs of instruction(Torah) are the way of life,

Ecc 12:13 Here is the conclusion: Reverence YAHAWAH and obey HIS Commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. (Not just Hebrew, Moslem, Christian or Jew, but all mankind period!)

DID YOU GET THAT,THE WHOLE DUTY OF MAN IS TO OBEY ABBA YAHAWAH'S PERFECT LAWS OF LOVE, PEACE AND UNITY

Yer 6:10 To whom shall I speak and give warning, That they may hear? Indeed their ear is uncircumcised, and they cannot give heed. Behold, the LAW of YAHAWAH is a reproach to them; They have no delight in it

Yer 2:8 The priests said not, Where is YAHAWAH? and they that handle the law knew me not: the pastors also transgressed against me, and the prophets prophesied by Baal, and walked after [things that] do not profit

It's sad that Christians scream HalleluYAH(Praise YAH) every sunday and don't even have a clue that they are speaking Hebrew,yet The Creator's Name annoys you? Does it hurt to hear the truth? if so then come out of your darkness Bro!!!

Wow!!!! Now if you still want to laugh then laugh at you own ignorance

Wake up man, you are lost shocked

If your brainwashed mind has any room for the Truth, you will definitely know that Jesus paid for the fulfilment of the Laws requirements and gave humanity a new life that does not depend on the Laws of Moses but on the Holy Spirit who can actually help you to live the life of obedience you are screaming about.

I feel very sorry for you, but I still love you bro grin

(1) (Reply)

Faith? What Is It 2 u: / Muslims Better Than Christians? / Where In The Bible Is A Pastor Referred To As A "Man Of God"?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.