Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,993 members, 7,817,943 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:30 PM

Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials (8296 Views)

Poll: Can Anything Be Done About This?

Yes: 57% (28 votes)
No: 42% (21 votes)
This poll has ended

A Car Got Completely Burnt At Obalende R/about Lagos Nigeria / Angry Citizen Blasts Immigration Officials In Lagos Airport For Bribery / Eight Annoying Questions Nigerian Airport Officials Ask International Travellers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials by Busybody2(f): 3:23pm On Aug 20, 2008
terryboob:

yes of course ,,,,,,something can be done about that , i read a newspaper last week about one jamaican man that was delayed because they thought it was suspicion of drugs or something, he was delayed and randomly checked for like 4 times by the security men at the air-ports to the usa, he said that it was the only black man in the line.  he won a compensation for that. look at this case.  black nigerians are more likely to be search more than any other african country.if i was the woman i will go and speak to my lawyer this is very disgusting acts by the british peoples.if we nigerian done the same things to british peoples how is it going to be ?

Akiika !!! shocked Haba terry terry na you biko, hmmn, first time I am tongue-tied and don't know what to say. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed tongue grin
Re: Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials by Busybody2(f): 3:33pm On Aug 20, 2008
Innocent C:

. . . It will take someone to suffer and liberate others just like the independence we're enjoying today.

Let the revolution commence, I say, roll on the rogering, coughing ahem sorry I meant suffering, afterall , as our people talk am, if one person own no spoil, another person own no go better wink cheesy
Re: Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials by nikinash(f): 3:33pm On Aug 20, 2008
Initially when I read the story I was really miffed and ready to take up arms against the BG but after reading the views here, I think I might have a rethink.

In the first place I didn't know this was a standard procedure, haing never witnessed any such thing. And may I never. God forbid it should be suggested I am certain I would opt to be sent back to my country. Nobody's land is that deserving of my dignity! If this story is true I think it is sad and  a horrid thing, just imagine this happening to your mum, wife, sister or girlfriend! Horrid to even think about. I would have thought in this age of technical sophistication, there would be absolutely no need for such a dehumanising thing to be done to anyone, black or white. I think airport authorities may need to start coming up with better ways of searching for hidden drugs.

Unfortunately, Nigerians are the ones who have damaged our name and reputation. You can't even enter some places abroad, once they hear you are Nigerian, the suspicion comes on.

It is fairly certain that Nigerian airport officials do the same or even worse, we just never heard of it.

On the whole I just think its an awful experience for anyone.
Re: Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials by agaba123(m): 3:45pm On Aug 20, 2008
I have asked this question before and I am gonna ask it again. based on this report below
NDLEA arrests two women for cocaine trafficking
By David Amuwa
Published: Monday, 18 Aug 2008
Two women have been arrested at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport Lagos by officials of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency for lodging illegal substances suspected to be cocaine in their private parts.

Skip to next paragraph

Photo file
Chairman, (NDLEA) Ahmadu Giade

According to a statement by the agency, the suspects, Friday Joy, 27, and Aruna Ramot, 28, were arrested at 7pm on Tuesday, August 12, 2008, during the screening of passengers on KLM flight to Amsterdam.

The NDLEA Airport Commander, Mr. Victor Cole-Showers, said that the women were nabbed based on routine profiling carried out on them by its officials during boarding by passengers.

“Two of them were found to have inserted five wraps each in their private parts,” the statement said.

He said that the NDLEA was able to arrest the women because it was well informed on the tricks often employed by drug traffickers, adding that the agency would fulfil its mission of preventing the country from being used as a transit nation.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200808183333628.
Can someone please tell me how NDLEA do their own searching such that they can locate the said drug inside the cavities as reported above without dehumanisation. Does it mean it is no sin when it is done in Naija?
In as much as I am against dehumanisation, you guys should also rememeber that the news media that report a particular event more than ones just create a hype, do us no good.
Re: Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials by Nobody: 4:03pm On Aug 20, 2008
agaba123:

Can someone please tell me how NDLEA do their own searching such that they can locate the said drug inside the cavities as reported above without dehumanisation.

Manual search I guess--with fist and flash light inside, coupled with ''otumokpo''. Tell me how they won't find the drug grin
Re: Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials by agaba123(m): 4:34pm On Aug 20, 2008
candy:

Manual search I guess--with fist and flash light inside, coupled with ''otumokpo''. Tell me how they won't find the drug grin

grin grin grin If that is the case then there is no difference except for the otumokpo. So there should be complaining. After all you said the use their hands, meaning they can shove hand inside. She did not report that one if they did. may be that one was not bad.
Re: Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials by Busybody2(f): 4:44pm On Aug 20, 2008
agaba123:

grin grin grin If that is the case then there is no difference except for the otumokpo. So there should be complaining. After all you said the use their hands, meaning they can shove hand inside. She did not report that one if they did. [sub]may be that one was not bad[/sub].

Chai, you wicked small o. cheesy
Re: Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials by agaba123(m): 5:00pm On Aug 20, 2008
Busy_body:

Chai, you wicked small o. cheesy
And you are mother Thersea cheesy cheesy
Re: Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials by Nobody: 5:08pm On Aug 20, 2008
agaba123:

After all you said the use their hands, meaning they can shove hand inside. She did not report that one if they did. may be that one was not bad.
Yes na, how else do you think NDLEA, with all their not so advanced technology locate drugs hidden in the ''secret cavities''? tongue grin grin
Re: Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials by agaba123(m): 5:10pm On Aug 20, 2008
candy:

Yes na, how else do you think NDLEA, with all their not so advanced technology locate drugs hidden in the ''secret cavities''? tongue grin grin

Now how do they know who to search? Why is it that no one has gone to complaind to a newsmedia? Does it mean they are always right or . . . . like I said in my last post, the hand shoving makes the victims forgive and forget?
Re: Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials by Outstrip(f): 5:19pm On Aug 20, 2008
They still do this crap? It happened to my cousin in 1983 when she went to London. I wish they will try that with me, they will not only ban me from entering the UK they will also ban me from neighbouring countries. Idiots.
Re: Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials by Nobody: 5:22pm On Aug 20, 2008
agaba123:

Now how do they know who to search? Why is it that no one has gone to complaind to a newsmedia? Does it mean they are always right or . . . . like I said in my last post, the hand shoving makes the victims forgive and forget?

Don't be serious brova, just a joke!
before you know it now, news don spread say dem say dem say dem dey shove hand inside ''kini'' to look for drugs for naija
Re: Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials by agaba123(m): 5:26pm On Aug 20, 2008
candy:

Don't be serious brova, just a joke!
before you know it now, news don spread say them say them say them dey shove hand inside ''kini'' to look for drugs for naija
Sister if I was serious, I would be in the Emergency room. hope you get it grin grin grin
Re: Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials by U1(m): 7:16pm On Aug 20, 2008
At a point, one of them knelt down, asked me to open my legs wide while she looked deep into my private part.

Come to think of it, could someone possibly hide drugs in private parts (no longer private, by the way). This is gross. shocked
Re: Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials by agaba123(m): 8:28pm On Aug 20, 2008
U1:

Come to think of it, could someone possibly hide drugs in private parts (no longer private, by the way). This is gross. shocked
Read my post and that will answer your query
Re: Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials by Imani(f): 9:09pm On Aug 20, 2008
I won't be surprised if in spite of the "humiliation", the woman still managed to go back to Nigeria with 2 oversized lugages grin
Re: Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials by tkukoyi: 10:11pm On Aug 20, 2008
well i guess they just had to pay for the bad reputation our country already has,
pray our dear nation becomes better with time so her citizens can get the respect they deserve,
i can imagine it must've been so humiliating,no one would like to go thru that kind of horrifying experience
Re: Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials by nthnymarce(m): 10:48pm On Aug 20, 2008
o! my god, any oyibo that enters nigeria must be stripped naked for thourough search for crude oil.
Re: Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials by Seun(m): 10:54pm On Aug 20, 2008
Th best thing is to make up your mind before you get on that plane. Don't be caught by surprise.
Re: Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials by alphabeta(f): 11:36pm On Aug 20, 2008
While the Customs officers might have been acting within the ambits of their jurisdiction and authority, isn't there a possibility that they might have been overzealous while doing this.

It is surprising that quite a lot of people are quick to condemn the woman with "she must have been exaggerating', 'cavity search is a usual procedure', 'Nigerians carry drugs and since the bad ones have tarnished our names, what else do we expect'.  Does this belies the possibility that her narration could have been just as it was described and the officer(s) doing the search could have carried this out in such a manner that goes beyond being mere procedural. Let's not be quick to condemn because a Nigerian decides to speak up in a foreign country.

Check the link below.

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article.html?in_article_id=273220&in_page_id=34&in_a_source=

Andrew Carter, 44, was told 'F*** off, this is police business' when he protested about the officers breaking traffic laws.

When he photographed the police van outside a Bristol fish and chip shop, PC Aqil Farooq told him he was under arrest for assault, resisting arrest and being drunk and disorderly.

Mr Carter, a self-employed plumber who lives nearby, was handcuffed and bundled into the back of the van then locked in a police cell for five hours.

He was also forced to give a sample of his DNA and had his fingerpints taken. After his release he spent a week on bail before he was he told he would not be charged.

F*** off, this is police business

Mr Carter said last night that he was off work for a week with a prescription for valium. 'My blood pressure was so high I thought I was going to have a heart attack,' he added.

Now his business is struggling to survive and he has been left with a fear of the police.

Describing his 'frightening' ordeal, Mr Carter said: 'The officer reversed from the main road through the no entry signs, parked up and went into the fish and chip shop with his colleague on what he says was legitimate police business.

'I was nearly knocked down once so when the police van did it I said, ''Hey mate, no entry'' but he just shouted out the window, ''F**k off, this is police business''.

'When I took a photo of them he came running out, battered the camera from my hand on to the floor and arrested me for three crimes, none of which I'd committed.'

PC Farooq and a woman officer claimed they needed to visit the takeaway shop to view CCTV footage.   yeah right (sic)

The officer faced a disciplinary inquiry and was made to apologise in person to Mr Carter but still held on to his job.

Avon and Somerset deputy chief constable Rob Beckley also wrote to Mr Carter, apologising for the officer's 'totally unacceptable' behaviour.

Mr Carter said he was pleased with the apology but was still pursuing a compensation claim.

We have trigger happy cops (and surprisingly - not only in Nigeria), overzealous Policepersons enforcing the law in some undesirable manner.  What makes us think that law enforcement agents in the first world countries are always acting in line with their designated authority especially when the targets involved are non first world citizens.

The woman's ranting and raving in a Nigerian newspaper might have no effect (my personal opinion, I don't think it would) but does that put her in the wrong for speaking up using a medium of opportunity available to her ?
Re: Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials by hannydarl(f): 12:22am On Aug 21, 2008
I have always wondered how nigerian custom manage to find out travelers that swallow or hide drugs in their privates since ive never seen any equipment that can pick up such in MMA.I just hope no be wuru wuru dem dey take label people drug peddlars.
As for the women searched i know about cavity search but i dont know the law guiding it cavity search is nothing new in airports around the world its just that it is haedly done compared to searches involving the use of metal detectors.Anyway sha it is embarasing to be subjected to such legal or illegal.
Re: Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials by Nobody: 2:03am On Aug 21, 2008
Imani:

I won't be surprised if in spite of the "humiliation", the woman still managed to go back to Nigeria with 2 oversized lugages grin
Before n ko? Infact, the ''humiliation'' is one more reason to carry the whole of UK in her suitcase! grin
Re: Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials by davidif: 4:11am On Aug 21, 2008
Tell your friends to stop carrying drugs then if they don't want that treatment.

I took a geography class on globalization and it said that Nigeria was on the top 5 list of countries that lead the world in the drug trade (i think we were no. 3 on the list) which is funny because we don't grow "poppies" required to make this drugs. I also read in "the economist" magazine some time ago that the problem is soooooo huge that the US is about to give the Nigerian customs millions of dollars to install state of the art equipment to detect this guys better.
Re: Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials by slyk2(m): 3:09pm On Aug 21, 2008
it was a retuine check i believe.

if you have nothing to hide no problem.
why must we feel cheated in everything?

if you feel wronged you can sue them to court
or tell them to deport you instead of such harrasment.

but it was only a woman to woman stuff, why worry.
Re: Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials by vodkat: 3:24pm On Aug 21, 2008
The truth of the matter is some naija ppl give naija bad name so there is a stereotype all around the world about nigerians. When an outside person meets a nigerian you are assumed to be a criminal/ fraudster until you prove or examined otherwise.

Even African countries that are extremely poor have criminal stereotypes about Nigeria. You can imagine going into a foreign airport with Naija passport you are assured of being checked for carrying drugs or something illegal

I met a rwandan person who came from india and after we got to be friends she said they were warned to be careful of mixing with Nigerians because they are criminals.

So when naija ppl stop doing crime then people would stop harrassing innocent ones.

We need to get our acts together and do more things that add value to our self and commuity than negative things .

Viva Nigeria
Re: Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials by iceland(m): 4:32pm On Aug 21, 2008
davidif:

Tell your friends to stop carrying drugs then if they don't want that treatment.

I took a geography class on globalization and it said that Nigeria was on the top 5 list of countries that lead the world in the drug trade (i think we were no. 3 on the list) which is funny because we don't grow "poppies" required to make this drugs. I also read in "the economist" magazine some time ago that the problem is soooooo huge that the US is about to give the Nigerian customs millions of dollars to install state of the art equipment to detect this guys better.
Abeg make u just shut up! Are there no worst criminals in U.S and in U.K? if Nigeria is no.3 nko?Does that apply to all Nigerians?This thing is RACISM! and it should be dealt with accordingly.They are worst criminals is the west still they dont take their human right from them.Why Nigerians?
Re: Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials by realcele: 5:02pm On Aug 21, 2008
If it indeed happened then that is a slap on the face. I would suggest the lady make an officical complain if so sure of what is being written, with details of her flight etc even if she does not know the name and ID of who molested her she could stilll complain and prevent others from being molested. But i tell you as long as am not in Muritala airport or germany i no go comply to mad regulations. Western world have human rights which protect you from some molestation.
If you want to investigate this further you can employ my assistant and i will do this at no cost as long as you are willing not to paint the truth.
Re: Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials by tpia: 9:55pm On Aug 21, 2008
hmmm. This must have been what they did to Diana Ross one time. shocked shocked

Maybe thats why she gave them some dirty slaps.

However, Nigerians do have a reputation as drug mules. Unfortunately many innocent ones get tarred with the same brush.
Re: Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials by Thor(m): 9:57pm On Aug 21, 2008
If you want to visits god's country then you have to put up with a few hassles. It is all worth it in the end grin grin grin
Re: Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials by ty4real(m): 10:52pm On Aug 21, 2008
iceland:

Abeg make u just shut up! Are there no worst criminals in US and in UK? if Nigeria is no.3 nko?Does that apply to all Nigerians?This thing is RACISM! and it should be dealt with accordingly.They are worst criminals is the west still they don't take their human right from them.Why Nigerians?

Guy no issues!Take it easy or why you dey hyperventilate like this!There is no element of racism in this situation.A friend of mine once told me he travelled from UK to USA and at the point of entry checking their passport and stuffs,He said Nigerians travelling from 9ja where separated from the NIgerians travelling in from other European country!So will you call that racism tooo?Abeg it has happened and it will continue to happen until our govt do somfin about our economy!End of discussion. grin grin
Re: Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials by vikiviko(m): 8:42am On Aug 22, 2008
The foreign affiars ministry is yet to receive official information as regards his news.
Re: Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials by bluehorizo(m): 12:02pm On Aug 22, 2008
vikiviko:

The foreign affiars ministry is yet to receive official information as regards his news.

Lol. I also read that.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200808221531893

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Stability Returns After Completion Of Repair Works On Agege Rail Track / Us Visa: Can I ''right'' My Wrong? / Flight Cancellation And Compensation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.