Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,689 members, 7,816,818 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:49 PM

60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? (11667 Views)

When People Are Sacked From Their Jobs, Do They Get Paid? / For Bankers, Ex Bankers And Bankers To Be / The Number Of Persons That Lost Their Jobs In Nigeria:The Second Quarter Of 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by sharpman1(m): 10:02am On Aug 26, 2008
dearie:

The 60% gist is a crap that should be discarded with a wave of the hand.

I certainly agree with you. We tend to believe anything we hear or read in this part of the world without thinking about it.

I work in an organization that does lots of training for Banks and Financial Institutions. From research, the banks are still recruiting big time (from entry level to experienced hires).

I wonder where people get their information from.
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by dudubobo1: 10:56am On Aug 26, 2008
There's nothing unusual about this. It happens in kost industries and in almost every country. If you're in a sales job, you have targets to hit and if you consistently fail to hit your targets, how do you expect the company to continue to fund your position?

It's a tough and harsh world
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by benice2: 11:01am On Aug 26, 2008
cry cry cry
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by koko777(m): 11:03am On Aug 26, 2008
Nice post, that need to be critically examine. Can somebody remember the era of Finance Houses? well, main reason why i cannot rule out the post. I've always known our people to be one way traffic. Whenever something is thriving everybody will  locked up their heads in it not minding the after- effects. I was astonished when a medical graduate friend told me he's working in a bank as a marketer, all  because of money. Honestly i pity the future of this country. i'm not a pessimist, yet the truth must be said, banking institutions in Nigeria, if care is not taken may crash, considering both internal and external economy factors.
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by benice2: 11:03am On Aug 26, 2008
BRT lane is causing wahala,
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by MrCrackles(m): 11:07am On Aug 26, 2008
dimitri:

@ poster

i think the article was an exergeration , in as much as there is so much 'slavery' in the banking sector, i think that laying off 60% is not realistic although i must admit that bank staffs have already started loosing their jobs , the point here is that the industry is survival of the fittest both for the employers and the employees.

true talk

but it may not be an exaggeration, the banking sector would prolly benefit from the purge!
reforms and restructuring are necessary to sustain our financial sector, and heads have to roll, it is a shame some people would suffer but that is life!
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by benice2: 11:13am On Aug 26, 2008
cry cry cry
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by ikhideman(m): 11:34am On Aug 26, 2008
I quite agree that most of the post can be referred to as junk journalism (apart from the fact that its coming from the Tribune, its also unsunstantiated).

But that is not to say Banks' dont threaten to layoff workers for not meeting their targets. From experience, having this mentality of chasing targets can enable new employees develop negative ideas so as meet targets & ensure faster promotions. E.g. a lady thinking of opening her legs to a potential customer, a guy thinking of any fraudster whom he can help to launder funds (usually in millions of $), etc.

My advice for bankers(Marketers especially) who are under pressure is to look beyond the banking industry when planning out their careers. Just stay a few years, save enough funds & venture into another job or business, except of course u enjoy it.

DONT KILL YOURSELF, IF U DIE UNDER PRESSURE, SOMEBODY ELSE WOULD REPLACE U IN A MATTER OF MINUTES!!!
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by sweetchi(f): 11:43am On Aug 26, 2008
what is the banking industry turning into sef?
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by sweetchi(f): 11:47am On Aug 26, 2008
please naira landers i need latest gist on companies that are recruiting.i really need good job.
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by modupe2: 12:03pm On Aug 26, 2008
what gave you an impression that bankers are not planning for their future? everyone is talking about self employed, we should not forget that one cant use STONE as initial capital for any biz, of course we need money/cash. these guys in the banking industry are more at advantage than most people out there. they have enough money for themselves, the family and more than enough to save. so, please stop this act of jealousiness, vituperation and mudslinging as rightly said by someone.
crashing of banking sector will not only affect the bank staff. it will affect the bankers, the bank staff, the government and of course, the general public.
i know you will ask me how or what concerns the government/general public with it. Unemployment will flood the  street the and there is definately going to be a crashed economy.
to the general public, the stock market will crash and this will affect the acclaimed self employed that invested in STOCK/SHARES including the POSTER and other critizisers.
it is a prayer for all, BANKING SECTOR MUST NOT CRASH!!!
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by egokanwa(f): 12:50pm On Aug 26, 2008
Pls dont scare meeeeoooo!!! let me get there first and feel how it is like cos i really want to work in a Bank lipsrsealed
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by sweetchi(f): 1:01pm On Aug 26, 2008
if they succeed it throwing 60% into the labour market,what happens to the rest of us who are still hoping to get jobs.the labour market will be over populated with job seekers jare.they better change this system of theirs and work towards correcting the impression people have about ladies in the banking sector.
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by tkb417(m): 2:07pm On Aug 26, 2008
that article is a juggled piece of shit. . .

i dont work in a bank and i dont want to believe an article that says a fresh graduate is expected to bring close to a billion naira in a year!!

How much money do we have in circulation?
so if a bank has 100 fresh marketing staff, they are expected to bring a billion naira * 100?
hehehehehe

now, that piece was trying to say if they dont bring that, they will be sacked!!!!

pls, can someboy tell me how many years it took the banks to conjure 25billion naira in the first phase of capitalization that happened few years back?

now they want magicians to bring trillions in a year
Its either that piece was somebodys imagination or the banking set up itself is chasing 'wild geese'.

They should kukuma be printing money in one of thier branches
shio. orisirisi
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by zeedee(f): 2:24pm On Aug 26, 2008
Um, who else noticed how the article suddenly veered off the topic and settled on psychology? Weird.

Now that's out of the way.

I knew something like this would happen. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. Mass banking sector employment had to eventually equal something right? The industry leaders knew this would happen, and yet had no bones about using their fellow man. It's really a dog eat dog world. I feel sorry for the people that rushed into banks.

Who says there are no jobs in Nigeria?

This should encourage us to be educated, informed, prudent and discerning in whatever choices we make.
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by tkb417(m): 3:09pm On Aug 26, 2008
@zeedee
you feel sorry for those that 'rushed' to banks?
please, give me another synonym for that your 'rush' cos im trying hard to understand the innuendo in ur post

what is 'uninformed' in working in a bank? im laffing in swahili
im beginning to think most guys here think all bank workers run the streets to look for deposits!!

i'll agree with you that we need to be educated, informed and smart to be able to be amongst those that'll decide those to be sacked. Not all bank workers will be sacked even if this doomsday schitzo eventually happen

BACK TO THE TOPIC
what exactly is banking?
are these dudes meant to be scavenging for funds like they are doing?

i dont think GTBank is deep into this and the last time i checked, they have sunk money into developing a powerful brand that will ginger just anybody to open an account with them.

Moral suasion, CSR, big media presence, smooth banking operations, cutting edge technology, and fair returns on sharholders funds will bring the deposits.
my personal opinion tho.
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by lwise(m): 3:17pm On Aug 26, 2008
A word they say is enough for the wise

Hi all,

Recently there have been reports of many bankers and telecomm workers slumping at work, issues with blood clots, and other health issues. Recently two staff; one in Zenith and another in UBA; recently died and this could have been avoided. The staff in UBA slumped on the staircase and passed away and the Zenith staff died at a party she and her husband were attending. Cause of death?   Both staff had been working for more than 6 months without leave of any sort. The lady had been complaining of leg pains, not knowing she had a blood clot in her leg. She had been massaging the leg for sometime, which the doctor said added to reasons why she could not be saved. The UBA staff had been working, also without leave and working all hours of the day and weekend. Presently another banker is in Igbogbi undergoing physiotherapy for a slipped disk due to his sitting position and long hours at work. Apparently Igbogbi is full of bankers and telecomm workers undergoing different stages of physiotherapy.   Let us all try to take our lives a little more seriously. The following tips may help us;   *         Always take 75 minutes breaks in between work. Walk around your office or along a corridor for a minimum of 5-10 mins     to ease kinks in the neck and back. *         Drink a lot of water during the day to work your kidneys and make you get up to go the loo. *         Always have your complete lunch break; in case you are not aware, this is for an hour. *         Always endeavor to exercise for at least 20 mins a day, and *         Most importantly, please take your leave within every six months. It does not have to be the whole of your leave, it can be            a casual leave for a couple of days. This will ensure your body is replenished regularly.
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by kaboninc(m): 3:27pm On Aug 26, 2008
For me I do believe that dis post is a real junk. How can a bank "ordered to turn in between N960 million per person annually and Branch Managers who must garner an average of N500 million per annum, just like old staff who must turn in an average of N1.6 billion per annum." Dats impossible for even d bank. Even if the bank can give targets and find any face-off reason to sack deir staffs definetly not dis crap. Be realistic.
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by tkb417(m): 3:33pm On Aug 26, 2008
Iwise
ver sad. . .i was coming out of the UBA HOUSE when that incident happened.
Never heard the poor lady died.

Only saw the car used in carrying her sped off. so the gurl died?
ole ku!!!

@Kaboninc
exactly my tots!
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by sabak: 3:51pm On Aug 26, 2008
I  wonder when this banker haters syndrome will stop. at every turn, you see people who cant afford to eat three times a day cursing bankers or bank workers as being stupid for the careers they chose. people just don't seem capable of standing bankers or bank workers forgetting that career is about choice which in turn is determined by a cluster of factors. I work in a bank, and i recall that the day i wrote my employment test, we had over2500 people at the exam center, and at the end of the day, only 31 of us were shortlisted for interviews be4 further screening was effected to select the successful candidates. now why wont people hate banks when  about 2400 people on that occasion had the doors shut to their faces  for not cutting the marks.

About future and security, nothing can ever guarantee financial security aside from being the best in what u do.oil coys  do staff reduction as demanded by critical factors for efficiency, sustainability and profitability just as shell  nig did sometime recently. A recent study on small and medium scale industries and companies indicate that 90% of  them  fold up withing 5yrs of inception due to the harsh business environment in Nigeria. and i am sure that is where all these banker haters fall in.

Good, entrepreneurship is the best when u want to take ur destiny in ur hands, but in making the decision, to go private, u have to have a clear idea of what u want to do, develop the expertise in what u want to do, understand management processes and techniques, make the necessary contacts that you will need and of course  have funds or assets that can help you raise funds  and generally have a deep understanding of how finance works, because that is at the center of the heart of ur business. then even before all these u have to be sure of who u are and  what u can excel in.

for instance, a colleague i met at the interview that gave me my first banking job was a civil engineer who was earning 20k at the time in a construction firm, but he asked me what i would do if i was in his shoes, that he was passionate about his engineering and wanted to go abroad for further studies. but that funding was a problem. I simply told him the baking job which offered 1m per annum at the time will make more sense as he could do it for a while and raise the money he needed to fund his further studies which will put him in better stead in his engineering career. he took the advice, and in three years he had been promoted about twice with about three salary review s which too him to close to 3m per annum in those three years and by that time he had raised enough money to travel abroad for his further studies. he will probably come back to this country soon as a consultant engineer while those bank haters amongst u who couldn't even get bank jobs even if they wanted will be here  as formen in construction sites.

i have oil coy friends who complain they would have  preferred  careers that gave them access to people  and finance instead of rigs and water, it depends on what u want to make out of your life. OKEY NWOSU the MD of FIRST INLAND BANK is a first class petroleum engineering graduate, he started off with slumberger, then left for Arthur Andersen before veering into banking, i don't know how many of u banker haters have cousins or uncles that can dine with him

pls the bankers and bank workers have chosen their path, choose your and  stay focused instead of wishing people who are moving ahead with their lives  without noticing you ill luck
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by zeedee(f): 3:52pm On Aug 26, 2008
@zeedee
you feel sorry for those that 'rushed' to banks?
please, give me another synonym for that your 'rush' because im trying hard to understand the innuendo in your post

what is 'uninformed' in working in a bank? im laffing in swahili
im beginning to think most guys here think all bank workers run the streets to look for deposits!!

Yes sweetie, RUSHED to banks. Most RUSHED because there were lured. And weren't confident enough to try something else. Ah, bank job dey open? Make we go oh. Dem dey pay well well.

If it looks too good to be true, then it's not real. I cant imagine, slaving away like a robot from 7.30 am to 7.30pm for something that's not bettering my life or adding any value to my person.
Look at this: banks had resorted to recruiting OND graduates. Any jackie, right? I've been approached several times to work in some bank or the other because "you're fair and fine, and the men would answer you." Any talk about my academic qualifications? Nope.

Keep laughing, in xhosa if u wish.
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by eudio(f): 4:03pm On Aug 26, 2008
UJUJOAN,

U WILL KILL SOMEBODY WITH LAUGHTER
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by tkb417(m): 4:11pm On Aug 26, 2008
@Zeedee
ure very funny. . .i give it to you
u sure know what ure talking about so i give up.

@Sabak
chillax. Guys are x-raying the system not the workers
Ok? see story wey u type. na wa for u.
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by kpolongo(f): 4:23pm On Aug 26, 2008
U GUYS ARE JUST JOBLESS FOOLS, HOW CAN YOU WAKE AND START ENGAGING PEOPLE IN YOUR TERRIBLE GOSSIPS.
U ARE JUST EXAGGERATING, YOU BETTER GET BUSY THAN SEAT BACK AND WATCH BANKERS BACK FOR THEM.
AND FOR YOU DAT IS CELEBRATING THAT UR X WILL SOON LOOSE HIS JOBS,U R JUST WAISTING YOUR TIME. ENEMY OF PROGRESS!!!
OTHERS WILL SOON CELEBRATE YOUR MISFORTUNE IT MUST SURELY COME SINCE IT'S YOUR WISH FOR HIM.
MUMU YOU BETTER MOVE ON WITH YOUR LIFE.
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by akaa(f): 4:40pm On Aug 26, 2008
I FEEL SORRY FOR THOSE THAT WORKS IN BANK, BUT THEY ARE THE MOST PAY WORKERS IN NIGERIA NW APART FROM THE OIL COMPANY`S AND SOME OF THE FEDERAL WORK

WHAT I SUGGEST IS THAT EVERYBODY SHOULD EBRACE SELF EMPLOYMENT, THAT`S WHY I`M TELLING YOU PPLE ABOUT SMARTCOM
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by dearie(m): 5:22pm On Aug 26, 2008
well said sabak.
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by brotherly: 6:08pm On Aug 26, 2008
This can not  be true, we are likely to have some shake up in the industry soon but it will sure not come close to the 60% mark. All banks in the country are fast opening new branches and expanding there frontiers outside the shores of this country. This expansion drive will sure be jeopadized by massive layoffs . The banks have not automated their processes enough to  survive corely on technology. Even the banks that are high up in the automation lather still have to constantly involve manual checks and corrective measures.

While I agree that banks should serve as  catalyst in economic growth we must not be so passionate to forget that the banks are business entities that want to maximise returns on investment. In a country like ours with very unpredicatble inflation rates, policy reversals and poor infrastructure , the incentive for medium and long term investments by the banks that will translate economic growth thins out by the day.   A lot of the SMES will not survive even with loans because the overheads are exaggerated by poor infrastructure.

While I am not comfortable with the jumbo profits declared by the banks , I must quickly add that i will never buy the shares of any bank whose books are not sound.

I believe a sizable proportion of bankers are doing the job for lack of options. This government should stabilize the polity as is obtainable in developed countries, then I feel compettion will force banks to make the needed change.
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by ikhideman(m): 6:27pm On Aug 26, 2008
The truth is that the story is mainly junk & really over exaggerated.

For one, targets arent in Billions for marketers except Branch Managers & higher officers (probably 1b per annum) & even then such branches will be large branches with huge volume of business e.g. Oceanic Bank (Alausa Branch)-proximity to Secretariat.

Targets for freshers are around N50-N100m depending on the Bank & the branch. For example, a marketer in a typical Zenith bank is more under pressure to meet targets than a marketer in a typical Oceanic bank. Also, location matters,e.g a marketer whose branch is located in V/Island will tend to have a higher target than a marketer whose branch is located in Agege (or even in Benin City). It all varies.
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by ikhideman(m): 6:37pm On Aug 26, 2008
But a point shld be made that entering into the banking industry is a choice, which is taken upon the acceptance of the terms & conditions laid down by the employer.

As someone earlier said, many bankers (especially in Lagos) are daily been hospitalised with various ailments. My friend who is a nurse at one private hospital in Lagos told me she has had to nurse about 5 bankers from different banks, at different times (young men in their mid-30s, i must add) for high blood pressure & fainting, which are all stress-related.

SO DON'T KILL YOURSELF BECAUSE THE WORK WILL CONTINUE EVEN AFTER YOU ARE GONE!!![i][/i]
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by soloqy: 7:12pm On Aug 26, 2008
ikhideman:

But a point shld be made that entering into the banking industry is a choice, which is taken upon the acceptance of the terms & conditions laid down by the employer.

As someone earlier said, many bankers (especially in Lagos) are daily been hospitalised with various ailments. My friend who is a nurse at one private hospital in Lagos told me she has had to nurse about 5 bankers from different banks, at different times (young men in their mid-30s, i must add) for high blood pressure & fainting, which are all stress-related.

SO DON'T KILL YOURSELF BECAUSE THE WORK WILL CONTINUE EVEN AFTER YOU ARE GONE!!![i][/i]

@ikhideman

Your two posts on this issue are spot on.

I have a friend who just got a job at a bank and its 100 million thats her target.

Also on the stress part and ailments affecting young bankers, you are still on target.

Heard about a guy in his early thirties that died of hypertension (he used to work in that bank with red and white corporate colours).
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by Denicest(m): 9:15pm On Aug 26, 2008
hi ladies and gentlemen,

Build your pipleline while u still work for others. Have a plan B. And to have a plan B is quite easy if u are willing to put in the effort required.

Embrace genuine network marketing business. Please I am not talking about ponzi schemes here. Educate yourself well enough to know the difference between ponzi schemes and network marketing.

If you want to know what network marketing business that I am into then contact me via 07032479287 or ogucelo@yahoo.com

'Work is about daily meaning as well as daily bread: for recognition as well as cash; in short for a sort of life rather than a Monday through Friday sort of dying, we have a right to ask of work that include meaning, recognition, accomplishment and life.'

hope to hear from u all.

cheers
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by Ruddyface(f): 10:00pm On Aug 26, 2008
I used to think that the media is the last hope for truth in the nation but Saturday Tribune's BS on the topic has thrown that hope away! How can a newspaper just go to the newsroom laboratory and cook up such stories and attribute their sources to faceless, nameless 'reliable' sources.

A paper that ought to be informing people does not even know how many banks there are in Nigeria. Do we still have 25 banks? Psst hisses.

@ Poster,

If you are looking for a job in the bank and could not get one, and re-produced all that in jealousy, hit me I will try to connect you as I consult for some of the banks.

Nigerians and badbelle! Mmmh.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Project & Data Analysis Using SPSS, Eviews, DAD, STATA Others / Is Studying Medical Biochemistry A Waste Of Time In Nigeria? / For Physics With Electronics Professioner

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.