Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,026 members, 7,818,030 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:34 AM

Secrets Of First Class Students? - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Secrets Of First Class Students? (74940 Views)

Reasons Why First Class Students Never Become First Class People In Life / 5 Qualities Of 'first Class' Students / Respect First Class Students In Public Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by Damsykool(m): 8:39am On Dec 05, 2010
I don't believe they have any secrets. Afterall, they are humanbeings lyk u and i. Na 2 heads dem get?? I don't think so. Determination and hardwork are d basic keys 2 success.
Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by Nobody: 12:23pm On Dec 05, 2010
Thanks for your concern @s.ohiemi.
Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by Ozorhumphery(m): 5:48pm On Dec 05, 2010
The first poster got it all correct, but he FAILS to stress the fact that first class students do not struggle so hard to get A's on any course unlike other students, but thats part of natural brilliancy. One other FACT is that brilliancy can also be acquired or developed it doesn't 'all' emanate naturally So don't think because you 're not naturally brilliant you can't procure first class, it all lies on your hand, Develope it and it will be in you. Nostradamus once said that naturally as a normal man you can not love a mad woman, but the love can be developed when it occurs that heaven must fall,
Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by OmichaelO: 9:03am On Jun 23, 2011
best thread ever

1 Like

Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by emmanugo: 10:36am On Jan 26, 2012
i think d diff btw dose dat do beta is der method
Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by Nobody: 11:38am On Jan 26, 2012
Always want to graduate with first class but in my school useless lecturers will fustrate you,now i am hoping to land on 2.1
Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by gomeek(f): 12:03am On Jan 27, 2012
Seriously,this is d most edutainin thread so far.
Very informative,i really have learnt alot,God bless y'all.
Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by gomeek(f): 12:11am On Jan 27, 2012
Emzybrown:

Always want to graduate with first class but in my school useless lecturers will fustrate you,now i am hoping to land on 2.1
aint tym to give up on ur dreams jst yet,unless u r in ur final year,u shld work harder and with God by your side u'l overcome al d frustrations,not lyk i'm on a ist class,but i hope with God by my side n with harder work 2 grad wid a 2.1,i'm in my final year.All the best.
Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by odunjoy1(m): 12:39am On Jan 27, 2012
it is not by might or by power, but by d spirit says the LORD, attaining first class is not a day job, it s a gradual process one has to start from d first year
and also d beginning of every semester. most people believe readin comes in wen u ar preparing for exams and test which is not suppose to be so, a preparation
that start from d first day of resumption do help a lot, and dis help to reduce stress wen exams come,
above all GOD is the only one dat can help wit success, d only one dat can crown night candle wit first class
we only need to trust in HIM and am sure at d end d victory will be ours, AMEN
Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by lifestyle1(m): 11:01am On Jan 30, 2012
The ultimate secrete to graduate with a distinction in a polytechnic is to apply the Crammers Rule, Getting a fast class in a polytechnic is like a horse trying to pass through a the eye of a needle.

During my ND days in school most of the student are crammers, they are not current with what is going on in the nation or globally, they can't contribute on current issues, they know nothing but their books.

Some of them can't even use the internet, they don't read national dailies, they don't read other materials outside their area of study, they know nothing but their books.

Sometimes it also depend on area of interest, for example i had lower credit in business studies from a polytechnic but had distinction in my CCNA exam, now i'm planning to do my HND in yabatech and i plan to graduate with FirstClass grin

1 Like

Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by candylips(m): 10:48am On Jan 31, 2012
^^ good for u
Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by RentInVi: 4:26pm On Jan 31, 2012
This tread is interesting. i think i would like to add my 2 cents. I have almost forgotten i graduated with a First Class, been quite a while.

I think the second post on this thread almost spoke my mind. I guess first class candidates do think alike after all. But if i could make a first class, then i believe any one with a 2.1 today could as well.

I think i will start by saying i am normally a 2.1 candidate. I should not be a first candidate. I have always been in the top 10 to 15 in my Primary and Secondary school. I only had 7 A's and 1 c in my WAEC result ( i took 8 subjects, avoided languages). Mind you, the A's were not really A1's.

But when I got to Univ of Ibadan to study Engineering I was told that first class in Engineering was for the gods. That was the begginning of my motivation.

I made it my sole priority to graduate with a first class in UI. Nothing else mattered or so i thought.

These are some of the things i did.

1. I prepared for every course from the day the semester began or even before it sef. i got lecture notes of my seniors and always photocopied the relevant text books so i can have my own copy at all times. ( i could not afford to buy text books). i could never understand how people prepare for and pass exams two weeks before the exams. infact i think they are genuises. becos i could never do that.

2. i listened attentively in class. i never sit in front, but i dont sit at the back either. oftern times the Lecturer would say - dont bother about so and so, most people in the class would not even hear that and still go ahead to read those areas. i dont always read all the chapters of the text book. i concentrrate on areas where i believe the questions would come out and leave areas that i dont is important. i dont think its gambling, i think its strategising. it worked for me 99% of the time. there was just this one time i was so shocked by what came out that i got 40 on the dot in that paper. that would have been my first failure. needless to say, i continued with my strategy.

3. i had no time for women, clubbing, parties, or the like. not becuase i was religious/holy or anything but more becos i did not have the money to tag along. spent the little money i had on books and food. Girl friends were too expensive to have grin.

4. know your reading style. i could never read overnight. i spent five sessions in UI and i never once read overnight for any exam. my reading time was strictly 8pm - 12 midnight . sleep and then resume 5am - 7am. that was what worked for me. i remember those days when we wake up and see people coming back from overnight reading, we all use to envy then but most never came out with good grades. i also could never read in the UI library or even the hostel reading room. My bed was the most comfortable place for me to read and thats where i read all through my stay in UI.

5. Believe in yourself and constantly assume various scenarios of what ifs. what if i score an A here and a B there. what impact would it have on my cgpa

6. your first year is very important. you need to start well, buid on it and also finish strong. I ended my first year with a cgpa of 6.0 and graduated with a cgpa of 6.4 after 5 sessions.

7. on the issue of interest, u must have a minimum intereest in wht you are doing or u wont be motivated to study it. i went to Ui to study petroluem engr but ended up with mechanical engineering. i had no interest in it at the start but i had to generate the interest to survive.

8. Put God in everything.

I hope this will motivate someone to graduate with a First Class, and if that be the case, then i would have made a difference in someones life. like i said, if i could do it, then anyone can.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by ortopazz(m): 8:51am On Feb 06, 2012
RentInVi:

5. Believe in yourself and constantly assume various scenarios of what ifs. what if i score an A here and a B there. what impact would it have on my cgpa

6. your first year is very important. you need to start well, buid on it and also finish strong. I ended my first year with a cgpa of 6.0 and graduated with a cgpa of 6.4 after 5 sessions.

I hope this will motivate someone to graduate with a First Class, and if that be the case, then i would have made a difference in someones life. like i said, if i could do it, then anyone can.

you av just made the diff 4 me, am starting law thz year and hopefuly hope to upstage what u had in ur first year if nt march it.

And 2 all whu cnt3ributd I wil love 2 say God bless y'al.

1 Like

Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by Serendipity: 3:38pm On Feb 06, 2012
RentInVi:

This tread is interesting. i think i would like to add my 2 cents. I have almost forgotten i graduated with a First Class, been quite a while.

I think the second post on this thread almost spoke my mind. I guess first class candidates do think alike after all. But if i could make a first class, then i believe any one with a 2.1 today could as well.

I think i will start by saying i am normally a 2.1 candidate. I should not be a first candidate. I have always been in the top 10 to 15 in my Primary and Secondary school. I only had 7 A's and 1 c in my WAEC result ( i took 8 subjects, avoided languages). Mind you, the A's were not really A1's.

But when I got to Univ of Ibadan to study Engineering I was told that first class in Engineering was for the gods. That was the begginning of my motivation.

I made it my sole priority to graduate with a first class in UI. Nothing else mattered or so i thought.

These are some of the things i did.

1. I prepared for every course from the day the semester began or even before it sef. i got lecture notes of my seniors and always photocopied the relevant text books so i can have my own copy at all times. ( i could not afford to buy text books). i could never understand how people prepare for and pass exams two weeks before the exams. infact i think they are genuises. becos i could never do that.

2. i listened attentively in class. i never sit in front, but i dont sit at the back either. oftern times the Lecturer would say - dont bother about so and so, most people in the class would not even hear that and still go ahead to read those areas. i dont always read all the chapters of the text book. i concentrrate on areas where i believe the questions would come out and leave areas that i dont is important. i dont think its gambling, i think its strategising. it worked for me 99% of the time. there was just this one time i was so shocked by what came out that i got 40 on the dot in that paper. that would have been my first failure. needless to say, i continued with my strategy.

3. i had no time for women, clubbing, parties, or the like. not becuase i was religious/holy or anything but more becos i did not have the money to tag along. spent the little money i had on books and food. Girl friends were too expensive to have grin.

4. know your reading style. i could never read overnight. i spent five sessions in UI and i never once read overnight for any exam. my reading time was strictly 8pm - 12 midnight . sleep and then resume 5am - 7am. that was what worked for me. i remember those days when we wake up and see people coming back from overnight reading, we all use to envy then but most never came out with good grades. i also could never read in the UI library or even the hostel reading room. My bed was the most comfortable place for me to read and thats where i read all through my stay in UI.

7. on the issue of interest, u must have a minimum intereest in wht you are doing or u wont be motivated to study it. i went to Ui to study petroluem engr but ended up with mechanical engineering. i had no interest in it at the start but i had to generate the interest to survive.

Yours was poignant and pithily expressed.

1 Like

Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by Gbosh(m): 9:36pm On Feb 06, 2012
I think JARUS HAS ANSWERED THE QUESTION PERIOD

1 Like

Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by Nobody: 6:48pm On Feb 07, 2012
i love this topic, tnx to everyone that posted
Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by Shdsunday: 3:38pm On Feb 08, 2012
I have received them all, in short, im inspired by many dat made first class in their respective fields and av generously shared tips on how they made it, may God help u to attain more as u crave for more success. With all av gathered, i will by God's grace apply them in my course (biochemistry) and b hopeful dat if christ tarries i'll also come here someday to share my testimonies and tips on hw i came out with first class(5.0 cgpa and nothng less).
Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by maipeople(m): 6:46pm On Feb 08, 2012
I am studying my masters as now. This thread changes me in such away that, as from now I 'll try my best to make a U-turn as far as my greatest weakness is concern. I now I can do it, but I had never give it a try.
Thank you all for your nice contributions

2 Likes

Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by Tgr8t4all(m): 7:26pm On Feb 08, 2012
Quiet intrestin. Kudo's to u guz.
Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by kunletech: 11:10pm On Feb 08, 2012
Do not be discourage if u are not naturaly briliant, because smart poeple are burn and also depend on how their parent brought them up, but good news to you, geniuse are made by doing what smart people are not thinking of doing, :if you conquare what can kill you, you will become his master: Read extral, ask quations which you have allready asking and be humble which is the key to learn fast. Good luck

1 Like

Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by jenti: 8:32pm On Jun 30, 2012
May the Lord bless all of u who had made contributions here

Iam 50+ studying Law in one of the Private Universities in Nigeria
My goal is to make a first class. The contributions of the First Class students here is a great motivation
Thanks to the guy who originated this topic. May you never run out of ideas Amen

1 Like

Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by Nobody: 11:01am On Jul 01, 2012
it is well
Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by Olastep1(m): 11:09am On Jan 18, 2013
GOD BLESS U GUYS.... Read ur posts. Am a fresher in a federal uni. Wow. I cant appreciate u all enough. GOD BLESS U
Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by Nobody: 12:14pm On Jan 18, 2013
smileyGOD IS D SECRET......TOPD UP WIT HARDWORK smileyGOD IS D SECRET......TOPD UP WIT HARDWORK
Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by Nobody: 10:45am On Jan 19, 2013
gomeek: aint tym to give up on ur dreams jst yet,unless u r in ur final year,u shld work harder and with God by your side u'l overcome al d frustrations,not lyk i'm on a ist class,but i hope with God by my side n with harder work 2 grad wid a 2.1,i'm in my final year.All the best.
am in finals too
Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by Kezebrenko: 2:43am On Apr 11, 2013
Jarus:

I knew Hammed Shittu of course. He was in part 4 when I was a Jambite. There was so much much hype about him then, but before he graduated his GP dropped to around 4.75. He didn't even lead his department. Simeon overtook him and finished with 4.88, to lead their set. I learnt Simeon immediately left for Imperial College, London for his masters, while Shittu joined Chevron Nigeria. Simeon went ahead to graduate as Overall 2nd best in Imperial College,London after his masters. Shittu has also resigned from Chevron, left for Imperial College, to go and 'revenge', break Simeon's record in London. From Ife, these guys have taken their rivalry to London!!! That was the last thing I heard and it was about 3 years ago; not sure whether Shittu was able to break Simeon's record in Imperial College.

Yes, Deji Akere, finished from Suleja Academy. He was a genuis. He now holds the record of ALL-TIME HIGHEST CGPA in Ife. I wrote one article about him, published in The Nation newspaper in December last year. Unlike Shittu, Deji was very gentle and easy going, so there was no hype about him in Ife. A friend of mine since primary school, Femi Taiwo, was in Deji's class, in Ife. This my childhood friend competed with Deji for the TOP POSITION in the Faculty of Technology for the set, but he later succumbed and confessed to me that competing with Deji was like hitting your head against a rock!!!. This my friend, who was the best SSCE student in Kwara state in 2000 read far more than Deji, but the NATURAL FACTOR just didn't make him near Deji when results came out. In any case, Femi finished second in the Dept with 4.75(far from Deji's 4.94, despite conscious efforts to outdo Deji from year 1-3, until he submitted in yr 4, when it no longer became possible). This my friend, Femi, I'm talking about, is himself a genuis o. He led SSCE in Kwara state 2000, shattered GRE and now doing his Phd directly(without masters, left Nigeria Dec 2007, abandoned NYSC) in University of Arkansas, USA, the first Nigerian to be given admission for that programme at Phd level in Arkansas(and he was just 24 yrs). But even Genuis get class. Deji belongs to a higher class than him!!!

I doff my hat for this Onuma o!!! Stories like this motivate me. Helen Otitoju is another Nigerian that broke a 147-years record in Howard University, USA in 2000, by graduating with 3.93/4 in Electrical Engineering. But this Onuma's record appears greater. But i know this Deji will also one day make global news hedaline.

I also always try to set/break national record, if not global, but it is not easy. But thank God, I was able to have First Class, even though not a mouth-opening CGPA(4.57)
Professor Anthony Olusegun Adegbulugbe holds the all-time record in Ife & in the whole of Nigerian varsities. He had first class honours in BSc Elect/Elect Engineering with 5.0 CGPA on a scale of 5.0 in 1976 and went on to bag a PhD at MIT, USA having being exempted from Masters, on scholarship. He was also one of the 3 winners of the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize for their work on Climate Change.

3 Likes

Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by Kezebrenko: 2:56am On Apr 11, 2013
Professor Anthony Olusegun Adegbulugbe holds the all-time record in Ife & in the whole of Nigerian varsities. He had first class honours in BSc Elect/Elect Engineering with 5.0 CGPA on a scale of 5.0 in 1976 and went on to bag a PhD at MIT, USA having being exempted from Masters, on scholarship. He was also one of the 3 winners of the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize for their work on Climate Change.

1 Like

Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by Idacrux: 6:22am On Apr 11, 2013
Advice pls!can i still finish with 1st class? I'm a 100L student I just saw my 1st semester results which i know is very bad do 2 d stress and freshman initial jambito in me. my gp is 3.85 now, my question goes thus: hw can i cover dis lapses owing that my aim is 2 graduate with a 1st class?
Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by Kezebrenko: 7:51pm On Apr 20, 2013
You can still graduate with a first class if you can produce a few 5.0s semesterly. Why you had a not so high result?...maybe you're not reading your notes the way you should.

1 Like

Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by Idacrux: 7:16am On Apr 21, 2013
Kezebrenko: You can still graduate with a first class if you can produce a few 5.0s semesterly. Why you had a not so high result?...maybe you're not reading your notes the way you should.
yea! I didnt read my note well,rather read past question
Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by akonucheinfo(m): 4:20pm On Apr 22, 2013
interesting thread

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Deeper Life High School Fees (photos) / Ashawo High School Signpost That Has Got People Talking(pic) / PHOTOS: See What They Did To An Ambrose Ali University Graduate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.