Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,266 members, 7,811,755 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:53 PM

Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? - Islam for Muslims (30) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? (60488 Views)

Muslims What Is JIZZYA? / Muslims, What's Happening In Your Life? A Brother Needs your Assistance. Page 15 / Muslims: What's Your Favorite Ayah Or Surah In The Quran? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by Nobody: 5:40pm On Sep 04, 2010
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by zayhal(f): 3:11pm On Sep 05, 2010
Sensible post.
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by babs787(m): 7:07pm On Sep 08, 2010
EID – UL - FITR

The Night Preceding 'Eid-ul-Fitr'[/b]

It had been the practice of the Prophet Muhammad, Sall-Allahu alayhi wa sallam, that he would pray during the night preceding the day of Eid-ul-fitr. This night has been named in a Hadith as the Night of Reward (Lailatul Jaiza).

Almighty bestows his rewards on those who have spent the month of Ramadan abiding by the dictates of Shari'ah, and all their prayers in this night are accepted. Therefore, it is desirable to perform nafl prayers during this night. The Prophet, Sall-Allahu alayhi wa sallam, is reported to have said: [b]Whoever stands up (in worship) in the nights preceding the two Eids expecting rewards from his Lord, his heart will not die when the other hearts will die. (Hadith-Ibn Majah)
(His heart will not die during the time of evil and corruption. It could also mean that with the blowing of the trumpet his soul will not become unconscious.)

SUNNATS OF EID:

1 Wake up early.

2 Take a Ghusl (bath) before Eid Salaah

3 Brush your teeth. [use Miswaak]

4 Dress up, putting on best clothes available.

5 Use perfume

6 Eat something sweet before proceeding to the Eid Musallah e.g. Dates etc.

7 Pay Zakaat-al-Fitr before Salaatul-Eid (on Eid-al-Fitr).

8 Go to Eid Musallah (prayer ground) early.

9 Offer Salaah-al-Eid in congregation in an Eid Musallah[open place] except when whether is not permitting like rain, snow, etc.Use different roads en route to the Eid Musallah and back home.

10 Recite the following Takbir on the way to Eid Musallah -Allahu-Akbar, Allahu-Akbar. La ila-ha ill-lallah.Allahu-Akbar, Allahu-Akbar. Wa-lilahill hamd. (Allah is greater, Allah is greater. There is no god but Allah. Allah is greater, Allah is greater. And all praises are for Allah)

TIPS ON HOW TO SPEND THE DAY OF EID:

1 Keep in mind the pleasure of Allah and uphold Shari’ah.

2 Adorn yourself and your family modestly in the best of garments (not necessarily new).

3 Should Eid be made at my mum or your mum or whoever?This requires Mashurah (mutual consultation).

4 Mashurah is a Sunnah of the Messenger of Allah (S.A.W).Try and accommodate each other.

5 Maintain and strengthen family bonds- Rasulullah (S.A.W) is reported to have said, “Anyone who wishes to have his means of livelihood enlarged and a prolonged life, should treats his relatives with kindness.”

6 Don’t forget the poor and needy- Hadhrat Anas (R.A) has reported Allah’s Messenger (S.A.W) as saying,“For him who aids one who is distressed Allah will record seventy three acts of pardon, one of them compromising his whole well-being and seventy two being grades of rank for him on the day of resurrection.”

Sadaqat-ul-fitr

Please, make sure the Sadaqatul-Fitr is discharged before Eid salaah.

Rasulullah (S.A.W) said: "The fast remains suspended between Heaven and Earth until the fitrah is paid."

The Noble Messenger of Allah Muhammad [Peace be upon him] said: “Show mercy to those who are on earth so that the One Who is in heaven will show mercy to you.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi (no. 1924)
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by azharuddin: 6:11am On Sep 13, 2010
Dua for repentance:

From the Quran

Rabbanaa faghfir lana thunoobana wa kaffir 'anna sayyiaatinaa wa tawaffanaa ma 'al abraar.
      Our Lord! Forgive us our sins and efface our bad deeds and take our souls in the company of the righteous (Quran 3:193).
      Rabbana thalamnaa anfusanaa wa illam taghfir lanaa wa tar hamnaa lanakoo nunna meen al khasireen.
      Our Lord! We have sinned against ourselves and unless You grant us forgiveness and bestow Your mercy upon us, we shall most certainly be lost.
      Rabbanagh firlanaa wa li ikhwaa ninallatheena sabaqoonaa bil eemani wa la taj'al fee quloobinaa ghillall lillatheena aamanoo rabbanaa innaka raoofur raheem.
      Our Lord! Forgive us, and our brethren who came before us into the Faith, and leave not, in our hearts, rancour (or sense of injury) against those who have believed. Our Lord! Thou art indeed Full of Kindness, Most Merciful (Quran 59:10).
      Rabbanagh firlana thunoobana wa israfana fee amrina wa thabbit aqdaa mana wan surna alal qawmil kafireeen.
      Our Lord! Forgive us our sins and the lack of moderation in our doings, and make firm our steps and succor us against those who deny the truth (Quran 3:147).

From the Hadith

Allahummagh firli thanbi kullahu diqqahu wa jillahu wa awwalahoo wa akhirahoo wa 'ala niyyatahoo wa sirrahoo.
      Oh Allah! Forgive me all my sins, great and small, the first and the last, those that are apparent and those that are hidden (Muslim).
      Astaghfir Allah wa atoobu ilayh.
      I seek the forgiveness of Allah and repent to Him (Bukhari, Muslim. It is recommended that this Dua be said 100 times during the day).
      Allhumma innaka afuwwun tuhibbul afwa fa'fu anni
      Oh Allah! You are Forgiving and love forgiveness so forgive me (Bukhari. This Dua is specifically recommended for the Night of Power or Laylatul Qadr).
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by azharuddin: 6:48am On Sep 18, 2010
[center]The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) once passed by two graves and said:
“These two persons are being tortured but not for a major sin (to avoid).
One of them never saved himself from being soiled with his urine,
while the other used to go about with calumnies (to make enmity between friends).”
He then took a green leaf of a date-palm tree split it into two pieces and fixed one on each grave.
The people said, "O Allah's Apostle! Why have you done so?" He replied, "I hope that their punishment may be lessened till they (the leaf) become dry."

[Bukhari, Muslim][/center]
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by azharuddin: 7:40pm On Sep 21, 2010

'A'isha reported:
I said: Allah's Messenger, the kahins used to tell us about things (unseen) and we found them to be true.
Thereupon he said: That is a word pertaining to truth which a jinn snatches and throws into the ear of his friend, and makes an addition of one hundred lies to it.

[Book 26, Number 5535: Muslim]
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by azharuddin: 7:04pm On Sep 25, 2010

Narrated Nu'am Al-Mujmir:

Once I went up the roof of the mosque, along with Abu Huraira. He perform ablution and said, "I heard the Prophet saying,
"On the Day of Resurrection, my followers will be called "Al-Ghurr-ul-Muhajjalun" from the trace of ablution and whoever can increase the area of his radiance should do so (i.e. by performing ablution regularly).' "

[Bukhari: Volume 1, Book 4, Number 138],
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by azharuddin: 7:24pm On Sep 26, 2010
Short temper

A person may complain: “I get very angry very quickly. If there is the slightest provocation, I quickly explode and start to break things, swear, curse and issue threats of divorce. This problem has caused me so much embarrassment, and has made most people hate me, even my wife and children and closest friends. What can I do to rid myself of this awful disease and extinguish this devilish fire?”

Anger is a tendency that comes from the Shaytaan. Only Allaah knows how much evil and sin results from it. Hence Islam has a great deal to say about this negative characteristic and the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) described remedies for ridding oneself of this problem and limiting its effects. These include the following:

Seeking refuge with Allaah from the Shaytaan. Sulaymaan ibn Sard said: “I was sitting with the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), and there were two men swearing at one another. One of them was red in the face and the veins of his neck were standing out. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘I know a word which, if only he would say it, this [anger] would leave him. If he said, “A’oodhu billaahi min al-shaytaan (I seek refuge with Allaah from the Shaytaan),”, this [anger] would leave him.’” (Reported by al-Bukhaari, al-Fath, 6/377). [/i]He (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) also said: “If a man gets angry and says ‘A’oodhu billaah (I seek refuge with Allaah),’ his anger will cease.” [i](Saheeh al-Jaami’ al-Sagheer, no. 695).

Keeping quiet. The Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “If any one of you gets angry, let him keep quiet.” (Reported by Imaam Ahmad, al-Musnad, 1/239; Saheeh al-Jaami’, 693, 4027). Anger usually makes a person lose control, often to the extent that he may utter words of kufr (Allaah forbid), or curses, or the word of divorce (talaaq) which will destroy his family, or foul language that will earn him the enmity of others. Keeping quiet is the way to avoid all of these evils.

Keeping still. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “If any one of you gets angry, let him sit down if he is standing. If his anger goes away, (that is good), otherwise let him lie down.”

The narrator of this hadeeth was Abu Dharr (may Allaah be pleased with him), who told the following story: he was watering his animals at a trough, when some other people came along. He said, “Who among you will help Abu Dharr to water his animals and , ?” A man said, “I will,” but he broke the trough. Abu Dharr was standing, so he sat down, then he lay down. Someone asked him, “O Abu Dharr, why did you sit down then lie down?” He said, “Because the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said … [and quoted the hadeeth].” (The hadeeth with the whole story is reported in Musnad Ahmad, 5/152. See also Saheeh al-Jaami’, no. 694).

According to another report, Abu Dharr was watering his animals at a trough when another man made him angry, so he sat down… (Fayd al-Qadeer al-Mannaawi, 1/408).

One of the benefits of this Prophetic teaching is that it prevents the angry person from doing something crazy and out of control. An angry person could inflict harm or even kill – as we shall see shortly – or he could destroy property and so on. Sitting down makes it less likely that he will explode in this fashion, and lying down makes it even less likely that he will do something reckless or harmful. Al-‘Allaamah al-Khattaabi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in his commentary on Abu Dawood: “The one who is standing is ready to move and destroy things. The one who is sitting is less likely to do so, and the one who is lying is not able to do anything of the sort. It seems that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) commanded the angry person to sit down or lie down in order to prevent him from doing anything that he would later regret. And Allaah knows best.” (Sunan Abi Dawood wa ma’ahu ma’aalim al-sunan, 5/141)

Remembering the advice of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) reported that a man came to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and said: “Advise me.” He said: “Do not become angry.” The man repeated his request several times, and each time the response was, “Do not become angry.” (Reported by al-Bukhaari, Fath al-Baari, 10/465).

According to another report, the man said, “I thought about what the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) had said, and I realized that anger is the source of all evil.” (Musnad Ahmad, 5/373).

“Do not get angry, and Paradise will be yours.” (A saheeh hadeeth. Saheeh al-Jaami’, 7374, Ibn Hajar attributed it)
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by azharuddin: 4:11pm On Oct 27, 2010
[center] Be sure We shall test you with something of fear and hunger, some loss in goods, lives and the fruits (of your toil),
but give glad tidings to those who patiently persevere.― Who say, when afflicted with calamity:
Inna Lilahi Wa inna Ilaihi raji'oon. "To Allah we belong and to Him is our return."
They are those on whom (descend) blessings,  from their Lord and Mercy and they are the ones that receive guidance."
[The Qur'an 2:155-157][/center]

Simple meaning, when afflicted with any kind of troubles, say: Inna Lilahi Wa inna Ilaihi raji'oon. (To Allah we belong and to Him is our return.) and we will be blessed by Allah.
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by azharuddin: 1:43pm On Oct 29, 2010
“And when they hear Al‑Laghw (dirty, false, evil vain
talk), they withdraw from it and say: ‘To us our deeds, and to you your
deeds. Peace be to you. We seek not (the way of) the ignorant’”

[al-Qasas 28:55].
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by azharuddin: 2:25pm On Nov 12, 2010
Aishah (RA), the mother of the believers, quoted the Prophet (SAW) as saying: “The two rak`ah before Dawn (Fajr) Prayer are better than the word and all that which it contains.”
[Muslim]

The mother of the believers, Umm Habibah Ramilah bint Abu Sufyan (RA) narrated that she heard the Prophet (SAW) saying: “A house will be built in Paradise for every Muslim who offers twelve units of Prayers other than the obligatory ones in day and night, to seek pleasure of ALLAH.”
[Muslim]
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by babs787(m): 6:55pm On Nov 12, 2010
Arafah and the First Ten Days of Dhul-Hijjah

In the Holy Qur’an, Allah the Exalted says (interpretation of the meaning) {By the dawn. By the ten nights} [Al-Fajr 89:1-2]. Many scholars have said that this refers to the first ten days of Dhul-Hijjah, and the fact that Allah swears by them means that they are indeed significant and worth the attention of every Muslim.

The Prophet (peace be upon him) says, “There are no days in which good deeds are more beloved to Allah than these days.” The Prophet was asked, “Not even jihad for the cause of Allah?” He replied: “Not even jihad for the cause of Allah, except for a man who goes out (for jihad) with his money and his own self then does not return with any of that.” [Bukhari]

Some of the recommended acts of worship during these days include:

· Fasting - We are told to do good deeds during these days and fasting is one of the best deeds as is stated in a hadith qudsi: ‘All the deeds of the son of Adam are for him, except for fasting, which is for Me and I am the One Who will reward him for it.’" (Bukhari).

Also The Messenger of Allah said: "No servant (of Allah, the Most High) fasts one day in the Path of Allah, except that Allah, the Most High, removes his face from the Fire because of it (the distance of travelling) seventy years."

· Qiyam-al layl -[/b] (prayer at night)

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said that fasting each of these days is equivalent to fasting a year, while qiyam during each night equals qiyam for a year. [Tirmidhi]

[b]· Performing a lot of Tahleel (saying “La illaha illa Allah”), Takbeer (“Allahu Akbar”) and Tahmeed (“Alhamdu Lillah
”) Abdullaah ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him and his father) reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "There are no days greater in the sight of Allaah and in which righteous deeds are more beloved to Him than these ten days, so during this time recite a great deal of Tahleel ("La ilaaha ill-Allaah"wink, Takbeer and Tahmeed." (Ahmad).

Men should say these out loudly and women should recite them quietly. Men should recite them loudly in the mosque, in the street, in the market, the street and in any place that its allowed to remember Allah. There is sound evidence that Ibn ‘Umar and Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with them) used to go out in the marketplace during the first ten days of Dhu’l-Hijjah, reciting Takbeer, and the people would recite Takbeer when they heard them.

· Repentance (Tawbah) : Even though repentance is to be done at all times, people's hearts tend to turn towards worship during these special occasions, so it is important to ask for forgiveness during these times (as well as at all other times) and this repentance combined with the good deeds done during these days can insha'Allah lead a reformation in the Muslim to not repeat their sins and continue to do good.

Excellence of the Day of Arafah

Arafah, which is the ninth day of the month of Dhul-Hijjah, is the greatest day of the entire year. Fasting that day (for those not performing Hajj) is strongly recommended, as the Prophet (peace be upon him) taught us that “Fasting the day of Arafah causes forgiveness of the sins of the previous year and coming year” [Muslim]. I remember reading the story of a lady who reverted to Islam a couple of years ago, and how eager she was to encounter the day on which fasting results in forgiving two whole years.

Another hadith tells us that forgiveness on Arafah is for those who take control of their hearing, sight and tongue. For this reason, it is good to perform i'tikaf (remaining in the mosque) on the day of Arafah. Arafah is also the best day of the year for reading Qur’an.

It is very important to note that there is no day better in the sight of Allah than the Day of `Arafah. On this day Allah descends to the nearest heaven, and He is proud of His slaves on the earth and says to those in heaven, “Look at My servants. They have come from far and near, with hair disheveled and faces covered with dust, to seek My mercy, even though they have not seen My chastisement.”

In this regard, we will cite what Sheikh Sayyed Sabiq states in his well-known book, Fiqh Us-Sunnah:

Jabir reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “The ten days of the month of Dhul Hijjah are the best days in the sight of Allah.” A man asked, “Are these days better than an equivalent number of days that are spent fighting for the cause of Allah?” The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) answered, “They are better than an equivalent number of days spent fighting in the cause of Allah. And there is no day better in the sight of Allah than the Day of `Arafah. On this day Allah, the Almighty and the Exalted One, descends to the nearest heaven, and He is proud of His slaves on the earth and says to those in heaven, ‘Look at My servants. They have come from far and near, with hair disheveled and faces covered with dust, to seek My mercy, even though they have not seen My chastisement. Far more people are freed from the Hellfire on the Day of `Arafah than on any other day. ’” Al-Mundhri said that this hadith was reported by Abu Ya`la, Al-Bazzar, Ibn Khuzaymah, and Ibn Hibban, in whose wording it is given here.

Ibn Al-Mubarak reported from Sufyan Ath-Thawri, from Az-Zubayr ibn `Ali, from Anas ibn Malik that he said: The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) spent the day at `Arafah until almost sunset. Then he said, “O Bilal, ask the people to be quiet and listen to me.” Bilal stood up and asked the people to be quiet and listen to the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him). When the people were quiet, the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “O people, a little while ago Angel Jibril (peace and blessings be upon him) came to me. Gave me salutations from Allah and informed me that Allah has forgiven those who spend the Day at `Arafah and those who stop at Al-Mash`ar Al-Haram, and that He has guaranteed their debts.”

At this `Umar ibn Al-Khattab stood up and asked, “O Allah’s Messenger, is this for us only?” The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “This is for you and for all those who will come after you until the Day of Judgment.” `Umar exclaimed, “How plentiful and blissful Allah’s bounties are!”

Muslim and others have reported from `A’ishah that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “Allah frees far more people from Hellfire on the Day of `Arafah than on any other day, and Allah comes closer this day and proudly says to the angels, ‘What do these people want and seek?’”

Abu Ad-Darda reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “On no other day does the Satan feel so belittled, humiliated, and angry as he does on the Day of `Arafah.” The reason for this is the mercy of Allah that descends (this day) and the forgiveness that He grants to people for major sins, except the day of the Battle of Badr, which witnessed a far greater mercy of Allah descending upon people, which caused great sadness to Satan.

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) was asked, “O Prophet of Allah, what did Satan see on the day of the Battle of Badr?” “He saw Angel Jibril leading the troops of angels,” he replied (Reported by Malik and Al-Hakim).

The tenth day of Dhul-Hijjah is Eid ul Adha on which fasting is forbidden.

All Muslims should take great care to make sure that they use their special opportunities given by Allah (subhanahu wa ta'ala) to us, and not miss them as once they are gone it will be regretted. When our life will end, only Allah knows so we should try to get as much rewards as possible, especially on the days when the reward is multiplied by many times. Never think you have done enough good, my brother and sisters, for never can you do enough good for the sake of Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala.

I pray to Allah to guide us to the very best during these days. Ameen.
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by harmeenart(f): 3:26pm On Nov 14, 2010
Salam alaykum. cheesy smiley
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by chakula: 9:23am On Nov 15, 2010
Alaikum mussalam.
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by azharuddin: 2:04pm On Nov 15, 2010
@babs
good to see you back.
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by azharuddin: 4:40am On Nov 29, 2010
I came across the following article recently please read it:         

A few months before I was born, my dad met a stranger who was new to our small town. From the beginning, Dad was fascinated with this enchanting newcomer, and soon invited him to live with our family.

As I grew up I never questioned his place in our family. In my young mind, each member had a special niche. My brother, Omar, five years my senior, was my example. Zakiyah, my younger sister, gave me an opportunity to play 'big sister' and develop the art of teasing. My parents were complementary instructors- Mom taught me to love the word of Allah, and Dad taught me to obey it.

But the stranger was our storyteller. He could weave the most fascinating tales. Adventures, mysteries, and comedies were daily conversations. He could hold our whole family spell-bound for hours each evening. If I wanted to know about politics, history, or science, he knew it. He knew about the past, understood the present, and seemingly could predict the future. The pictures he could draw were so life like that I would often laugh or cry as I watched. He was like a friend to the whole family. He took Dad, Omar and me to our first major league baseball game. He was always encouraging us to see the movies and he even made arrangements to introduce us to several movie stars. The stranger was an incessant talker. Dad didn't seem to mind - but sometimes Mom would quietly get up - while the rest of us were enthralled with one of his stories of faraway places - go to her room, read her Quran and pray. I wonder now if she ever prayed that the stranger would leave.

You see, my dad ruled our household with certain moral convictions. But this stranger never felt obligation to honor them. Profanity, for example, was not allowed in our house - not from us, from our friends, or adults. Our longtime visitor, however, used occasional four letter words that turned my ears and made Dad squirm. To my knowledge the stranger was never confronted. My dad didn't permit alcohol in his home - as good Muslims should. But the stranger felt like we needed exposure and enlightened us to other ways of life. He offered us, cigarettes, beer, and other alcoholic beverages often. He talked freely (probably much too freely) about sex. His comments were sometimes blatant, sometimes suggestive, and generally embarrassing. I know now that the stranger influenced my early concepts of the man-woman relationship.

As I look back, I believe it was the grace of Allah that the stranger did not influence us more. Time after time he opposed the values of my parents. Yet he was seldom rebuked and never asked to leave. More than thirty years have passed since the stranger moved in with the young family on Bangladesh Road. He is not nearly so intriguing to my Dad as he was in those early years. But if I were to walk into my parents' den today, you would still see him sitting over in a corner, waiting for someone to listen to him talk and watch him draw his pictures, His name you ask? We called him TV.

[This article hasn't been written by me. It was passed onto me by a Brother called Ibrahim Ahmed and so please make du'a for him and for the entire Ummah. Pray that we are all protected from the fitnah of our time and future times. Ameen]

Don't let the system brainwash you and your children.
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by babs787(m): 7:12pm On Nov 29, 2010
@babs
good to see you back.

Salam brother. Thank you for remembering me and may Allah continue to be with you. I have been busy lately and I tried replying most times but ended reading contributions only.

Jazakhallah
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by azharuddin: 1:04pm On Nov 30, 2010
keep posting whenever u get time bro.
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by azharuddin: 1:05pm On Nov 30, 2010
Kind words and forgiving of faults are better than charity followed by injury. And Allah is Rich (Free of all wants) and He is most Forbearing.” ❂

❋ Quran – 2:263 ❋
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by babs787(m): 6:40pm On Nov 30, 2010
It is Only a Sunnah

Often, when Sunnah of the Holy Prophet Sallallaahu alayhi wasallam is mentioned we hear the remark, "it is only a Sunnah", implying as if Sunnah is a mere matter of choice, not a duty or obligation, recommended, but not required. The response, for most part, is a result of the lack of understanding of the importance and the place of the Sunnah in Islam and in a Muslim's life.

What is Sunnah? Allah sent his last Prophet and Messenger Mohammad Sallallaahu alayhi wasallam to teach and guide humanity how to conduct their individual and collective affairs and live their lives in a manner pleasing to their Creator. In this regard, the virtuous acts and deeds taught by the Prophet, through his words and conduct, are called Sunnah. They range in their scope from the manner of drinking water to burial of the dead to solemnizing the marriage to regulation of trade practices, etc. Even a simple task of drinking water becomes an act of worship if the intention underlying it is to comply with the Sunnah of the Holy Prophet. On the other hand, intentionally and habitually disregarding the Sunnah invites anger of Allah and His Prophet. The Holy Prophet is reported to said, "Whoever turns away from my Sunnah is not from me", meaning he is not my follower.

How imperative is it to obey the Sunnah of the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihe Wa Sallam? The imperative significance of the Sunnah is evident from the fact that Allah has not linked the success and salvation of humans with His obedience alone but also conditioned it upon the obedience to His Prophet. That is, Allah Almighty has enjoined on us obedience to His Messenger, just as He has enjoined His own obedience. In the Quran Allah says, "And obey Allah and the Messenger that you may obtain mercy. (3:132).[/b] And at another place He warns, [b]", and whoso disobeys Allah and His Messenger, he is indeed on a clearly wrong path (33:36).[/color] To obey the Messenger means obey his Sunnah, what he has enjoined and what he has forbidden.

In the Islamic system of beliefs, Allah Subhanahu alone has the right to declare what is permitted and what is forbidden. He does so through the Quran and through His Prophet. Allah vested in His Prophet the authority of a lawgiver. The Quran says, [color=#990000]", (Prophet) enjoins them good and forbids them evil, and makes lawful to them the good things and makes unlawful to them impure things, and removes from them their burden and the shackles which were upon them, " (7:157).
[/b]Therefore, what the Holy Prophet enjoins or forbids is from Allah. ("He does not speak from his desire; it is nothing except revelation revealed to him" (53:3-53:4)[b]. Another verse that tells us about Prophet's authority as a lawgiver, ", So take what the messenger assigns to you and abstain from that which forbids you , " (59:7).[b][/b] This verse is not limited to the division of the war booties as anti hadith groups claim, it is rather all encompassing and general in its proclamation.

The other dimension of the Sunnah of the Prophet is that it is a tangible expression of love for Allah, and the best way to gain Allah's love and forgiveness. Quran tells Prophet Sallallaahu alayhi wasallam to say to believers, "If you do love Allah, Follow me: Allah will love you and forgive you your sins , " (3:31). [b][/b]This verse makes it plain that without adhering to the dos and don'ts of the Sunnah, no triumph in this world or the next can be achieved.

The clear imperative to follow Prophet Mohammad's rulings and decisions can also be seen unambiguously expressed in this verse "But no, by your Lord, they can have no faith, until they make you (O' Muhammad) judge in all disputes between them, and find in themselves no resistance against your decisions, and accept them with full submission" (4:65). [b][/b]This verse clearly illustrates the supremacy of the Holy Prophet's decisions and judgment governing all departments of life - religious, social, economic, political and cultural, etc. Here the Quran establishes Sunnah - Prophet's decision and legal judgments - as irrevocable, not to be challenged or reinterpreted and must be accepted with full submission. The emphasis on the Sunnah is to the point that if one knowingly denies the decrees and judgments of the Holy Prophet, he jeopardizes his faith.

The obligation to judge all matters in the light of the Quran and the Sunnah is also recognized from the famous hadith of Muaz bin Jabal radiyallaahu anhu. When the Holy Prophet appointed him as a Judge in Yemen, he enquired him, "What will you judge by when you decide a case?" Muaz bin Jabal said, "By the Book of Allah." The Prophet further asked, "If you don't find the answer in the Book of Allah, what will you do?" Muaz bin Jabal replied, "I will look into the Sunnah of the Allah's Prophet." The answer of Muaz bin Jabal very much pleased Rasulallah Sallallaahu alayhi wasallam. [/b]The hadith further confirms that the Sunnah, after Quran, is a definite and absolute part of the Muslim constitution.

The Prophet Sallallaahu alayhi wasallam was created as an "exalted standard of character" (68:4) and the best exemplar for the human race[b]
. In enjoining the believers to pattern their lives after the perfect example of the Prophet's life, the Quran says, "Certainly, there is an excellent example for you in the Messenger of Allah, for him who looks forward to Allah and the Last Day, and remembers Allah much (33:21)[b][/b]. The Holy Prophet said about himself, "Allah has sent me as an apostle so that I may demonstrate perfection of character, refinement of manners and loftiness of behavior and conduct." [/b]The believers have been exhorted to follow the Prophet Sallallaahu alayhi wasallam not only in the details of complex matters of their collective life, but also in the small details of their daily life. For example, matters of eating, drinking, dressing and sleeping, and those regarding which the Prophet gave specific guidance.

Today, Muslims overwhelmed by the West and its civilization and raised on secular education have developed inferiority complex about their religious and cultural heritage. Though they believe that the system of guidance, the Qur'an and Sunnah, is true, yet great many of them have abandoned Islamic values and ideals in favor of western standards and practices. Here it would be good to remember what the Holy Prophet said about imitating the non-believers. The Prophet of Allah said, "Whoever imitates a people is one of them." [b]

Since the Sunnah is an integral part of Muslim faith, its negligence and abandonment would diminish the faith of a believer in the same measure. It is for this reason that the Holy Prophet Sallallaahu alayhi wasallam has promised a great recompense for the revitalization of an abandoned Sunnah. He said, "Whoever revives a Sunnah from my Sunnah that has been abandoned after me, then he will have an equal reward of all people who acts upon it, without decreasing from their reward in any way."[/b]

The Fuqaha (jurists) and muhaddithin (traditionists) may debate over the binding and non-binding status of Sunnah. A common believer whose eyes are on the Akhira will not fret over the legalities, but follow the Sunnah with same devotion and conviction in all matters, big and small. I am reminded of a young British man who after embracing Islam started to grow beard. A fellow Muslim, perhaps a modernist, said to him, "keeping [color=#990000]beard is not an essential requirement."[b]
The comment evoked a devotional response from the new brother, "Keeping beard is one of the clear commands of the Prophet and who am I to judge the essentiality of the Prophet's orders." [/color] [/b]The young new Muslim gave us a lesson in abiding in the Prophet's Sunnah without questioning and arguing about the legalities of it.

Beware those who neglect and abandon the Sunnah and say, "It is only a Sunnah": The Quran says, ", So, those who violate his (messenger's) order must beware, lest they are visited by a trial or they are visited by a painful punishment" (24:63).[b]

It is not just Sunnah, it is the way of life prescribed by none other than the Allah through the revelation to His Prophet.
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by azharuddin: 7:47am On Dec 01, 2010
Jazakumullahu Khairan.
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by azharuddin: 7:11am On Dec 06, 2010
Assalamualaikum,

making Dua whenever we can is important, because Allah is the only one that can help us in worldly affairs or in Hereafter.

"And your Lord says:  Call on me; I will answer (your prayer).  But those who are too arrogant to serve Me will surely find themselves in Hell in humiliation."
[Mu'min: 60]

"When my servants ask you concerning Me, I am indeed close (to them). I listen to the prayer of every supplicant when he calls on Me."
[Baqarah:186]

"Any Muslim who supplicates Allah with a supplication that does not contain any sin or cutting off of family relations, Allah will give him one of three things for it:
        1.  Either He will speedily answer his dua
        2.  or He will save it for him until the Hereafter
        3.  or He will avert something bad from him equal to the value of his dua.
(Explanation:  Almighty Allah either grants the prayer we make, or if the supplication is not being accepted, He removes some future trouble that was destined for us, or He grants us in full in the Hereafter).   [At-Tirmidhi].

Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Messenger of Allah (PBUH), "The supplication of every one of you will be granted if he does not get impatient and say (for examplesmiley `I supplicated my Rubb but my prayer has not been granted'.''   [Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Abu Umamah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) was asked: "At what time does the supplication find the greatest response?'' He (PBUH) replied, "A supplication made during the middle of the last part of the night and after the conclusion of the obligatory prayers.''  [At-Tirmidhi].
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by chakula: 9:22am On Dec 06, 2010
Ma sha Allah Lakuwwata illah bil lah,

Jazakumullah khairan.
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by babs787(m): 7:03pm On Dec 06, 2010
The Proper Way of Celebrating the New Hijri Year

In Islam there is no special religious ceremony to mark the New Year. However, since our religious calendar is the Hijri calendar, it is good to remind ourselves about the meaning and significance of Hijrah at this time. We should talk about Prophet’s Hijrah from Makkah to Madinah that took place in the year 622 CE. We should talk about its meaning and significance and we should also talk about the general concept of Hijrah in Islam.

The Arabic word Hijrah is often translated as “exile, exodus, flight or migration”. Its meaning is, however, much more dynamic and active. It means “to leave, to move, to shun and to quit”. It is especially used for an intentional transfer of residence, but in the Qur’an it is also used to mean leaving a wrong condition and moving to a better condition, even though it may involve some difficulty. In this context, Allah says: (But Lut had faith in him (Abraham): he said: 'I shall move (Muhajirun) towards my Lord: for He is Exalted in Might, and Wise.) (Al-`Anakabut 29: 26)

Faith (Iman) requires acceptance of Allah and the negation of falsehood. It means a total and radical departure to a new way for the individual and for the community.

Faith is:

· A departure from all kinds of polytheism (belief in many gods) to monotheism

· A departure from ignorance and superstition to knowledge and light

· A departure from enslavement to others to the service of Allah

· A departure from sin and corruption to virtues and righteousness

· A departure from division and strife to harmony and unity

· A departure from the state of wandering and bewilderment to guidance and straight path

· A departure from Allah’s anger to His acceptance and pleasure

· A departure from the Hellfire to Salvation in the Eternal Life.

Hijrah is a principle that is integral to Islam. It transforms a Mu’min from a mere believer to a Mujahid, the one who struggles for his faith. It is for this reason that the Qur’an has used in many places the words iman, Hijrah and Jihad together: (Those who believed and those who migrated and struggled in the path of Allah, they have the hope of the Mercy of Allah: and Allah is Oft Forgiving, Most Merciful.) (Al-Baqarah 2: 218)

(Those who believe, and migrate, and struggle in the cause of Allah, as well as those who give (them) asylum and aid, these are (all) truly the Believers: for them is the forgiveness of sins and a provision most generous.) (Al-Anfal 8 : 74)

(Those who believe, and migrate and strive in Allah’s cause, with their goods and their persons, have the highest rank in the sight of Allah: they are indeed the successful people. Their Lord does give them glad tidings of a Mercy from Himself, of His good pleasure, and of Gardens for them, wherein are delights that endure: They will dwell therein forever. Verily in Allah’s presence is a reward, the greatest (of all).) [/b](At-Tawbah 9: 20-22)

Muslims chose Hijrah as the focal point to reckon their chronology. In physical terms Hijrah was a journey between two cities about 300 miles apart, but in its grand significance it marked the beginning of an era, a civilization, a culture and a history for the whole mankind. Islam progressed not only from the physical Hijrah, but because Muslims took Hijrah seriously in all its aspects and dimensions.

Those who truly followed the path of Hijrah they were:

1.[b]The people of Muw'akhat:
They became brothers and sisters to each other. (The vanguard (of Islam), the first of those who forsook (their homes) and of those who gave them aid, and (also) those who follow them in (all) good deeds, well-pleased is Allah with them, as are they with Him: for them He has prepared Gardens under which rivers flow, to dwell therein forever: that is the supreme Felicity) (At-Tawbah: 100).

2. The people who were willing to endure hardship for the cause of truth: (Allah turned with favor to the Prophet, the Muhajirun (Muslims who migrated with the Prophet from Makkah), and the Ansar (residents of Madinah who helped the Prophet and his Companions), who followed Him in a time of distress, after that the hearts of a part of them had nearly swerved (from duty); but He turned to them (also): for He is unto them Most Kind, Most Merciful.) (At-Tawbah 9: 117)

3. Those who struggled to establish Islam: They established Masajid, Islamic schools and other institutions. They defended their faith and they worked hard to establish Islam in all aspects of their lives and everywhere they went.

We should use this occasion to remind ourselves about the Hijrah; this is what is required from all of us now and at all times.
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by babs787(m): 6:21pm On Dec 08, 2010
The Month of Muharram

Introduction
With the sighting of the new moon the Islamic new year is ushered in. The first month Muharram, is a month of great reward and virtue. Muharram itself means `sacred' and is from those months which have been mentioned as sacred in the Holy Quraan.
Almighty Allah states in the Holy Quraan:

"Four of them ( Zil-Qadah, Zil-Hijjah, Muharram and Rajab) are sacred."

(Surah At-Tawbah:36)

Virtues

From out of the four sacred months, Muharram has been blessed with certain specific virtues:-
The Holy Prophet Muhammad (Sallallahu-Alayhi-Wasallam) said:

"The best of fasts besides the month of Ramadhan is the fasting of Allah's month of Muharram."[/b]
(Muslim)

In another Hadeeth, Hazrat Ibn Abbas (Radhiyallahu-Anhu) reports: "[b]that the Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu-Alayhi-Wasallam) said: "The one that keeps a fast in the month of Muharram will receive the reward of thirty fasts for each fast (in this sacred month)."

(Tabraani)

Although the fasts of the month of Muharram are not obligatory, the one who fasts in these days out of his own will and choice is entitled to a great reward by Almighty Allah. The Hadith citied above signifies that the fasts of the month of Muharram are the most rewardable among the Nafl fasts i.e. the fasts one observes out of his own choice without being obligatory on him.

The Hadith does not mean that the reward promised for fasts of Muharram can only be attained by fasting for the whole month. On the contrary, each fast during this month has merit. Therefore, one should take advantage of this opportunity.

The Day of Aashora (10th Muharram)

Although the month of Muharram is a sacred month as a whole, the 10 th of Muharram is the most sacred among all its days. The day is named 'Ashurah'. It is one of the most important and blessed days of Allah in the Islamic calendar.

According to the Holy companion, Ibn Abbas Radhiallaho Anhu, when the Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alayhi Wassallam migrated to Madinah, he found that the Jews of Madinah used to fast on the 10 th day of Muharram. They said that it was the day on which the Holy Prophet Musa Alayhis Salaam and his followers crossed the Red Sea miraculously, and the Pharaoh was drowned in its water. On hearing this from the Jews, the Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alayhi Wassallam said, "We are more closely related to Musa than you." So the Prophet Sallallahu Alayhi Wassallam directed the Muslims to fast on the day of Ashura. (Abu Dawood)

According to another Hadith, it is more advisable that the fast of Ashura should be either preceeded or suceded by an additional fast. It means that one should fast two days: the 9 th and 10 th of Muharram or the 10 th and 11 th . The reason of this additional fast as mentioned by the Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alayhi Wassallam is that the Jews used to fast on the day of Ashura alone, and the Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alayhi Wassallam wanted to distinguish the Islmaic-way of fasting from that of the Jews. Therefore, he advised the Muslims to add another fast to the day of Ashura.

Some Ulama (scholars) are of the opinion that before the fasts of Ramadhan were made compulsory, the fast of the day of Aashora was compulsory upon the Ummah.

This is stated in a Hadeeth reported by Hazrat Aisha (Radhiyallahu-Anha):

"that the Holy Prophet Sallallahu-Alayhi-Wasallam) ordered the observance of the fast of Aashora. However, when the fast of Ramadhan became compulsory, then whosoever wished, kept this fast and whosoever desired did not observe this fast."
(Bukhari)

But, nevertheless the Prophet (Sallallahu-Alayhi-Wasallam) continued to fast this day and encouraged his Companions to do the same.

Recommended deeds on the day of Aashora

The Prophet (Sallallahu-Alayhi-Wasallam) has exhorted and encouraged his Ummah to fast on this day. He said:

"This fast[Aahura] is a compensation for the (minor) sins of the past year."
(Muslim)

One should also observe the fast of the 9th Muharram to safeguard his deed from resemblance with the Non-Muslims who fast only on the 10th Muharram.

Hazrat Ibn Abbas (Radhiyallahu-Anhu) said:
"When Rasulullah (Sallallahu-Alayhi-Wasallam) observed the fast of the day of Aashora and ordered (his Companions) to fast, they said: `O Rasulullah! It is a day revered (glorified) by the Jews and Christians.' Thereupon Rasulullah said: "The coming year, if Allah wills (I remain alive), I will for surely fast on the ninth (also)."[/b]
(Muslim)

These Ahadeeth indicate clearly that one should fast on the ninth and tenth of Muharram. However, if one does not manage to fast on the ninth, then he/she should fast on the eleventh of Muharram instead.

The Holy Prophet (Sallallahu-Alayhi-Wasallam) said:
"Observe the fast of Aashora and oppose the Jews. Fast a day before it or a day after."[b]

(Baihaqi)

Hence, it is important to either fast on the ninth and the tenth or the tenth and the eleventh of Muharram. To fast only on the day of Aashora is Makrooh as stated by Allamah Ibn Aabideen Shaami.

One should be generous on one's family and dependants and spend more on them than what is normally spent.

Rasulullah (Sallallahu-Alayhi-Wasallam) said:
"One who generously spends on his family on the day of Aashora, Allah will increase (his provision) for the whole year."[b][/b] (Baihaqi)

These are the actions supported by Ahadeeth. Let us observe this great day according to the ways of Rasulullah (Sallallahu-Alayhi-Wasallam) and the Sahabah (Radhiyallahu-Anhum), and refrain from all innovations which deprive us of the blessings from Almighty Allah.

May Allah guide us all upon the Straight Path and save us from every act which brings His displeasure.
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by babs787(m): 7:14pm On Dec 10, 2010
Measuring Success

Our Approach[b][/b]

As Muslims, our whole approach to life is different to the agenda which society sets for us. It is sometimes very hard to avoid following this agenda, when everything around us is telling us to do so, but we try. As Muslims, our number one priority is to please Allah. We have certain obligations which we must fulfill, before anything else. We must, for example, pray five times a day. We must fast during the month of Ramadan and pay zakah, the money due to the poor, if we are able to do so. We must also go on pilgrimage once in our lives to Makkah if we have the resources. These things make us different. We do not do them for personal gain, but for the sake of Allah alone. Without these basic things in our lives, we cannot really call ourselves Muslim.

In talking about success in life, however, it might be tempting to give advice about which courses to take in school or college. It might be tempting to give tips on how to prepare for a job interview, so as to impress our potential employers. It might even be tempting to advise on how to clinch a business deal or secure promotion at work. Giving such advice, though, if that is all we did, would be selling ourselves short. Of course, being Muslim means that we should be the best we can be at all times, so preparing well for interviews, dressing well, and speaking politely and with confidence should be a natural part of how we behave. Good manners and a courteous approach to other people is what Muslims should excel at. We can also aim to be the best on the football team, the fastest athlete on the field, or the first in our class. But if we do not achieve these things, it is not the end of the world. They are important, but they are not that important. In fact, so many things which bring "success" in this world, like being an expert in our field and like giving 100 percent effort all of the time, are part of the message of Islam. Muslims know that they are created by Almighty Allah and that all they do reflects the gifts He has given them. Similarly, all that Muslims do is a way of telling others what Islam is like. The way we behave and the way we speak tells others about Islam, far more than our speeches about faith can ever do.

What's Expected of Us

Real success for Muslims, though, is not about getting a job or acquiring money, however important these things may be. For Muslims, the greatest success in life is to do what Allah wants, and this might even put us at odds with what society expects. We are called upon as Muslims to be honest men and women, no matter what. We are called to promote justice, no matter what the cost and no matter how difficult a position that might put us in. We are called upon more than anything as Muslims to be men and women of prayer. With prayer will come the real success of this life. Through prayer we see things as they really are, not as others would have us see them.

The ancient Romans used to have the finest system of roads ever known. These roads were straight and well-paved and they enabled soldiers and messengers to be dispatched quickly to any part of the Roman Empire. All roads, of course, led to Rome, the centre of the Empire. The Roman Empire, like all empires after it, has long gone. Once great men, who held sway over the whole of the known world are now not even remembered. Their triumphs and their successes are long forgotten, like the success of all worldly power. One man or one country holds sway over others for a time, but when their time has come, they once more fade into insignificance and someone else takes over. The Romans, though, have left us with the famous phrase, "All roads lead to Rome." Nowadays, all roads no longer lead to Rome. For Muslims, however, living always in the presence of Almighty Allah and seeking always to please Him, the phrase takes on a different form. For Muslims, all roads lead to Allah. That is success in life, when everything we do and everything we say brings us closer to our Creator.

At the end of our life, we will look back on a life well lived and see if it has been successful, and we will not judge our success in terms of what we own. As we prepare for that final judgment, when our deeds will be laid bare for all to see, the kind of clothes we once chose to wear will not be important at all. Success, on that day, will be whether or not we responded straight away when we heard the Adhan, the call to Prayer. Success will be judged on that day by what kind of person we were, not on how may things we had.

And somehow, everyone knows deep down that this is the real success. All the money in the world cannot buy happiness. We cannot buy a devoted husband or wife or loving children. People respect honesty and integrity. They look up to people who are wise and they want to be like people who are kind.

Reaching out for success, then, is a lifetime's activity. It means struggling every day of our lives to be better and more faithful to what we are called to be. The most successful person in the entire world has achieved everything when he has managed just one thing: to live as a good Muslim. Let's hope we can all try to be successful in the same way, too.
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by azharuddin: 2:09am On Dec 13, 2010
Rasul Allah (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said, “Sight is a poisonous arrow of the devil. Whosoever, whether male or female, protects himself or herself from evil glances, will be granted a sweet Imaan (faith) which will please his/her heart.”
[Tabrani]
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by xoxogg(f): 1:18pm On Dec 13, 2010
babs787:

Measuring Success

Our Approach[b][/b]

As Muslims, our whole approach to life is different to the agenda which society sets for us. It is sometimes very hard to avoid following this agenda, when everything around us is telling us to do so, but we try. As Muslims, our number one priority is to please Allah. We have certain obligations which we must fulfill, before anything else. We must, for example, pray five times a day. We must fast during the month of Ramadan and pay zakah, the money due to the poor, if we are able to do so. We must also go on pilgrimage once in our lives to Makkah if we have the resources. These things make us different. We do not do them for personal gain, but for the sake of Allah alone. Without these basic things in our lives, we cannot really call ourselves Muslim.

In talking about success in life, however, it might be tempting to give advice about which courses to take in school or college. It might be tempting to give tips on how to prepare for a job interview, so as to impress our potential employers. It might even be tempting to advise on how to clinch a business deal or secure promotion at work. Giving such advice, though, if that is all we did, would be selling ourselves short. Of course, being Muslim means that we should be the best we can be at all times, so preparing well for interviews, dressing well, and speaking politely and with confidence should be a natural part of how we behave. Good manners and a courteous approach to other people is what Muslims should excel at. We can also aim to be the best on the football team, the fastest athlete on the field, or the first in our class. But if we do not achieve these things, it is not the end of the world. They are important, but they are not that important. In fact, so many things which bring "success" in this world, like being an expert in our field and like giving 100 percent effort all of the time, are part of the message of Islam. Muslims know that they are created by Almighty Allah and that all they do reflects the gifts He has given them. Similarly, all that Muslims do is a way of telling others what Islam is like. The way we behave and the way we speak tells others about Islam, far more than our speeches about faith can ever do.

What's Expected of Us

Real success for Muslims, though, is not about getting a job or acquiring money, however important these things may be. For Muslims, the greatest success in life is to do what Allah wants, and this might even put us at odds with what society expects. We are called upon as Muslims to be honest men and women, no matter what. We are called to promote justice, no matter what the cost and no matter how difficult a position that might put us in. We are called upon more than anything as Muslims to be men and women of prayer. With prayer will come the real success of this life. Through prayer we see things as they really are, not as others would have us see them.

The ancient Romans used to have the finest system of roads ever known. These roads were straight and well-paved and they enabled soldiers and messengers to be dispatched quickly to any part of the Roman Empire. All roads, of course, led to Rome, the centre of the Empire. The Roman Empire, like all empires after it, has long gone. Once great men, who held sway over the whole of the known world are now not even remembered. Their triumphs and their successes are long forgotten, like the success of all worldly power. One man or one country holds sway over others for a time, but when their time has come, they once more fade into insignificance and someone else takes over. The Romans, though, have left us with the famous phrase, "All roads lead to Rome." Nowadays, all roads no longer lead to Rome. For Muslims, however, living always in the presence of Almighty Allah and seeking always to please Him, the phrase takes on a different form. For Muslims, all roads lead to Allah. That is success in life, when everything we do and everything we say brings us closer to our Creator.

At the end of our life, we will look back on a life well lived and see if it has been successful, and we will not judge our success in terms of what we own. As we prepare for that final judgment, when our deeds will be laid bare for all to see, the kind of clothes we once chose to wear will not be important at all. Success, on that day, will be whether or not we responded straight away when we heard the Adhan, the call to Prayer. Success will be judged on that day by what kind of person we were, not on how may things we had.

And somehow, everyone knows deep down that this is the real success. All the money in the world cannot buy happiness. We cannot buy a devoted husband or wife or loving children. People respect honesty and integrity. They look up to people who are wise and they want to be like people who are kind.

Reaching out for success, then, is a lifetime's activity. It means struggling every day of our lives to be better and more faithful to what we are called to be. The most successful person in the entire world has achieved everything when he has managed just one thing: to live as a good Muslim. Let's hope we can all try to be successful in the same way, too.
Thank you for this, a real reminder of wats really important
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by diyobdw(f): 2:16pm On Dec 13, 2010
"The Quran of Sheba is a Quranic example of how wise a woman could be, as a ruler that studies all the elements and examines all the options before taking any decision, a woman that is not ruled by her emotions but by her mind. These attributes enabled her to rule over men who found in her the rational and capable person that is capable of running their affairs.

We deduce form this example that women are capable of overcoming the inner weakens that negatively affect their judgment, suggesting that weakness in women is not an inescapable fate"
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by azharuddin: 2:19am On Dec 19, 2010
[size=16pt]    Guarding the Tongue[/size]

Allah the Most High says:
    “Not a word does one utter, except that there is an (angel) Watching, Ready to record it.”

[Surah Qaaf: 18]

Abu Hurairah(ra) reported that the Prophet(saw)  said:
    "Whosoever believes in Allaah and the Last Day, then let him speak good or remain silent."
    [Saheeh Al-Bukhaaree]

Imaam Ash-Shaafi'ee (rahimahullaah) said: "When one desires to talk, then it is upon him to think before he speaks. If there is beneficial good in what he will say, then he should speak. And if he has doubt about that, then he must not speak until he clears that doubt (by making his speech good)."

Abu Moosaa Al-Ash'aree said:
    "I said: 'O Messenger of Allaah Which of the Muslims is best?' He  said: 'He whose tongue and hand the Muslims are safe from.'"
    [Al-Bukhaaree and Muslim]

Sahl Ibn Sa'ad(ra) reported that the Messenger of Allaah(saw)  said:
    "Whosoever can guarantee for me (that he will safeguard) what is between his jaws (tongue) and what is between his legs (private parts), I will guarantee for him Paradise."
    [Saheeh Al-Bukhaaree]

Abu Hurairah(ra) reported that he heard the Prophet(saw)  say:
    "Indeed, the servant will speak a word, while being unaware of (its consequences), and due to it, he will be cast into the Hellfire, farther than the distance between the east and the west."
    [Al-Bukhaaree and Muslim]

Sufyaan Ibn 'Abdillaah reported that he said:
    "O Messenger of Allaah , tell me of a matter that I may cling tightly onto.'

He  said: 'Say: I believe in Allaah and then remain steadfast (upon that).’

I said: 'O Messenger of Allaah , what is the most serious thing that I should fear for myself?'

So he  took a hold of his tongue and said: 'This.'"
    [An authentic hadeeth reported by At-Tirmidhee, Ibn Maajah and others]

'Uqbah Ibn 'Aamir reported:
    "I said: 'O Messenger of Allaah , how does one attain salvation?' He r said: 'Restrain your tongue, remain in your home and weep over your sins.'"
    [An authentic hadeeth reported by Ibn Al-Mubaarak in Az-Zuhd and it has support in Ahmad]
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by azharuddin: 2:29am On Dec 26, 2010
A very good article i came across.

[size=14pt]Riyaa (showing off).[/size]

Riyaa' is when one intends to gain the people's pleasure [/b]when drawing close to Allah Tala. It is action of the heart and not the action of the tongue.

For example: One can draw closer to Allah Tala in worships ('Ibadaat) or many other things. So the one who prolongs his prostration [b]so that people can see him
is showing off.

The one who writes an article so that people say he is a scholar is showing off.
The one who gives a lecture to impress the people is showing off.
The one who gives a khutbah so people say he is a good khateeb is showing off.
The one who wears rags so people say he is simple is showing off.
The one who grows a beard and wears jalbiyya so people say he is following sunah is showing off.
The one who walks with head down so people think he is pious is showing off.
The one who carries a small copy of the Quran and reads it in public to show people [/b]is showing off.

We live in a reality where there is no shame in showing off, rather the great majority of Muslims are naive and unaware of its reality and rules. The proof that we live in an age where there is no shame in riyaa` is the appearence of qalaamis al burood, which the prophet (saw) informed us about for example Al-Hakeem at-Tirmizi reported in an-Nawaadir about a hadith whose isnaad is sound, on the authority of Anas (ra) the prophet (saw) said:
", Then there will appear al-qalaanis ul-burood, and at that time there will be no shame of the showing off (riyaa')."

qalaamis al-burood means hood and outergarments.

Riyaa is not discovered by anyone except Allah Tala, even the one who is doing it at times is not aware of it unless he enjoys Khalis Ikhlaas.[b]Riyaa (showing off) is absolutly forbidden.

Ibn Majah and al-Bayhaqi reported wiht a hasan isnad on the authority of abu Saeed al-khudri that Prophet (saw) said when he saw them talking abt the Maseeha ad-dajjal, he said:
"shall I not inform you what i I fear of you more than the Maseeh ud-Dajjal? we said: Yes, Oh Messanger of Allah! he said: It is the hidden Shirk, which is when a man stands up for prayer, then beautifies his prayer for because of another man is looking (at him)."

in Another hadith the prophet (saw) said:
" A little showing off (riyaa') is shirk."

The Riyaa of shirk invalidates the action so by greater reasoning (Qayas Awla) an action should be invalidated if its purely showing off in techinal term Riyaa' Khalis as oppose to Ikhlaas Khalis as mentioned above.

Ahmed reported on the authority of Ubay b. Ka'ab with a hasan Isnad tha the prophet (saw) said:
"Give good tidings to this ummah of splendor, high ranks, victory and strengthening. Whoever of them worked the deeds of Akhirah for the sake of the dunya, he would not have any share/reward in the akhirah."

Riyaa` is shirk, Allah Tala will ignore the action done out of Riyaa' to the one who associates partners with Allah Tala (shirk), he Allah Tala on the day of judgement will ask the one who does Riyaa, ask for Riyaa from the Shareek (partner one associated with Allah) ie the one for whom the action was done to please other than Allah Tala.

[size=14pt]Trick of Shaytan with Riya to lessen our Ibadah
[/size]
In between our effort to avoid riya(show off) beware of the Devils whispers! For Example: In between the prayer the Shaytan will try to convince us to shorten the prayer, misguiding us with the reason of riya. Also when we are about to post a good article, the Shaytan will wishper 'Dont do it people might think you are a show off'. Do not leave an Ibadah inorder to avoid Riya, but instead do more of it, just be sincere and keep in mind that we do it ONLY to please Allah ta'ala.
So we have to be careful of both things:
1. Avoid riya(show off)
2. Do not avoid doing good deed for the fear of Riya.

Riya is a double edged sword indeed.

There is a technique ,which i have heard from an imam, to avoid both of it in one go. Whenever you are in situation when you have to do Ibadat(like salath or giving zakat) while there are people around you, just go ahead and do it while considering that you are surrounded by camels instead of people. In that way we can avoid Riya(showing off) and also will we be saved from decreasing the good deeds in the fear of showing off. The trick is not to care about what others think about your Imaan or good deeds. All that matters is what Allah (swt) thinks of us.

Ya Ar-ha-mar-Raahemeen
We intent to do Ibadah only to please you,
Save us from the trouble of Riya.
Ameen.
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by azharuddin: 7:06am On Jan 04, 2011
A very good article i came across about being religious and having good manners at the same time.

[size=14pt]Manners and Advice[/size]

Many of us, though we may have sincere and righteous intentions, have recently misplaced our ahklaq (i.e. we have lost our manners).  Many of us (myself included) have forgotten the proper way to advise our fellow Muslims.  When we advise our brothers and sisters if they are doing something incorrectly, we must remember to[b] do it for the sake of Allah (SWT)[/b] with the best of intentions.  The believer looks for excuses, not blame for his brother.  We want the best for our brothers and sisters and hence we advise them because we love them, not because we think we are better than them.  For[b] if we think we are better than them, then this is arrogance and pride[/b], and arrogance and pride was the sin that got the rejected and accursed devil kicked out of paradise and damned. We should not think we are better than others.  We need to humble ourselves and be thankful that we are in a position to advise others.  We shouldn’t advise people harshly, rather we need to be gentle, yet firm.  The Messenger of Allah (saw) was the best of examples sent to mankind and he would be gentle with others.  We have heard the hadith of the man who urinated in the masjid and the Prophet (SAW) handled the situation in the most eloquent of ways.  Nowadays, if a brother is praying without a turban or a "kufi" (head-covering) or his pants below his ankles in the masjid, we may berate him, but is this really the best way, will he continue coming to this masjid?  There may be a time for harshness, but many of us are not in the situation to handle it as we are the laymen.

With that being said, we need give advice in private.  None of us likes being called out in public and hence we should treat others the way we would want to be treated.  Additionally, when we receive advice, regardless of who it is from, we need to be thankful and considerate of it.  In general, it takes courage to give advice and[b] when one receives it, we should pray for that brother or sister that advised us because they love us, regardless of whether they are correct or not.[/b]

We need to be on our best behaviour at all times for our akhlaq may be what draws people to our beautiful and truthful religion and way of life.  Nowadays, the brothers with the big beards or the sisters with niqaab are the ones that seem to be the most intimidating, but this is incorrect.  We should set good examples. Who said to be religious means to be stern and harsh?  Often times, harshness by our brothers and sisters may scare off those people that are young and new to the religion.  Wasn’t there one point in our lives not long ago where we may not have turned out the way we have if it wasn’t for someone who was gentle and kind to us in their teachings?

The salaf (our pious predecessors) used to study ahklaq (good manners) twice as long as they studied knowledge.  How much time have we personally devoted to purifying our souls and being steadfast in our manners and characteristics.  The Prophet (SAW) said, “I guarantee a house in the highest part of Jannah for one who has good manners” (Abu Dawud) so why not aim for the highest part of paradise.  We need to be gentle, honest, and sincere in our character and manners.

This is just a short reminder to myself first and foremost and then to all of you for we know the reminder benefits the believer.  And of course, if you have any advice for this group, please let us know so that we may all benefit, insha Allah.  May Allah (SWT) allow us all to have the best of manners, to attain the highest part of Jannah, and to love one another for the sake of Allah (SWT).  Ameen

Ameen

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (Reply)

What Time Do We Start And End Fasting In Ramadan? / Is This The Most Beautiful Mosque In Nigeria? / Where 2 Oceans Meet But Do Not Mix, Confirmed By The Quran Over 1400 Years Back

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 227
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.