Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,606 members, 7,823,637 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:45 PM

Anyone In The Diaspora Willing To Return Home Now Is Nothing But An Opportunist. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Anyone In The Diaspora Willing To Return Home Now Is Nothing But An Opportunist. (946 Views)

For Nigerians In The Diaspora:what Do You Miss About Nigeria / Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? / Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Anyone In The Diaspora Willing To Return Home Now Is Nothing But An Opportunist. by tombola: 1:20pm On Aug 28, 2008
They ran away when Nigeria was supposed to be bad - but now - they are coming home in droves - establishing businesses - in the same country they deserted when "it was bad".

If they are not back - they are doing business from where they are - and re partriating the money back to where they live -

What are they? opportunists or patriots?

Discussion time.
Re: Anyone In The Diaspora Willing To Return Home Now Is Nothing But An Opportunist. by whatnext: 1:25pm On Aug 28, 2008
Your heading shows you've concluded in my mind what they are.

Besides, why the username you chose? Hope you're not planning on defaming kobojunkie.
Re: Anyone In The Diaspora Willing To Return Home Now Is Nothing But An Opportunist. by tombola: 4:36pm On Aug 28, 2008
Siena:

Neither.

They're human.

oh - are they? hmmmm - what human being runs from trouble - only for him/her to hypocritically make use of that trouble to his/her own gain!

What you doing with that N Reg car - is that your car? Too old, boy!
Re: Anyone In The Diaspora Willing To Return Home Now Is Nothing But An Opportunist. by bami1(m): 4:41pm On Aug 28, 2008
too broad , overtly generalising, u've made up ur mind bros
appears to me like it would be impossible to convince u otherwise
i'll say its 50-50
they come back, Nigeria gets better and they get richer
end of story
Re: Anyone In The Diaspora Willing To Return Home Now Is Nothing But An Opportunist. by JeSoul(f): 4:52pm On Aug 28, 2008
kobojumkie:

They ran away when Nigeria was supposed to be bad - but now - they are coming home in droves - establishing businesses - in the same country they deserted when "it was bad".

If they are not back - they are doing business from where they are - and re partriating the money back to where they live -

What are they? opportunists or patriots?

Discussion time.
  and whats so wrong with that? Nobody, I repeat Nobody will willingly want to live in a bad and corrupt society. Why are you angry at someone for wanting to live a nice secure life elsewhere? whether or not they still make money through naija why does it bother you? Opportunists or not, they are being smart! and many should follow their example jare.

When my uncle decided he wanted to go back n live in Naija, he wanted to run for office of the local govt and help, but what did the reigning politician do? they sent thugs and robbers to his house to beat him up and threatened him to leave and never return. I have seen that example and will never return to say I want to settle in naija, visit yes, but relocate? hell-to-tha no! too many people with bad belle and jealousy, I love nigeria, but my love is from a distance.
Re: Anyone In The Diaspora Willing To Return Home Now Is Nothing But An Opportunist. by tombola: 4:56pm On Aug 28, 2008
JeSoul:

and whats so wrong with that? Nobody, I repeat Nobody will willingly want to live in a bad and corrupt society. Why are you angry at someone for wanting to live a nice secure life elsewhere? whether or not they still make money through naija why does it bother you? Opportunists or not, they are being smart! and many should follow their example jare.

When my uncle decided he wanted to go back n live in Naija, he wanted to run for office of the local govt and help, but what did the reigning politician do? they sent thugs and robbers to his house to beat him up and threatened him to leave and never return. I have seen that example and will never return to say I want to settle in naija, visit yes, but relocate? hell-to-tha no! too many people with bad belle and jealousy, I love nigeria, but my love is from a distance.

Angry at what?

Why is it generally mis contrued that anyone who speaks or write anything about or against people living outside Nigeria, generally is angry against them - some will even conjure in their minds that you have been denied visas thats why you are annoyed.

I live in Britain - so - I am not angry at anyone who lives outside Naija - .

But your Uncles' case is one out of a million cases - sure banker.
Re: Anyone In The Diaspora Willing To Return Home Now Is Nothing But An Opportunist. by tombola: 4:57pm On Aug 28, 2008
_bami:

too broad , overtly generalising, u've made up your mind bros
appears to me like it would be impossible to convince u otherwise
i'll say its 50-50
they come back, Nigeria gets better and they get richer
end of story

Ok - Nigeria gets better when all those that deserted her returns back to her
Re: Anyone In The Diaspora Willing To Return Home Now Is Nothing But An Opportunist. by JeSoul(f): 5:03pm On Aug 28, 2008
kobojumkie:

Angry at what? Why is it generally mis contrued that anyone who speaks or write anything about or against people living outside Nigeria, generally is angry against them - some will even conjure in their minds that you have been denied visas thats why you are annoyed.
my bad, no vex I thot you were angry from your tone of writing :-)

I live in Britain - so - I am not angry at anyone who lives outside Naija - .
  So why do you think its such a bad thing for nigerians living outside to make money from naija?
To me it is just plain good business sense; see a need and take advantage. Long as it is legal and profitable, where's the beef?

But your Uncles' case is one out of a million cases - sure banker.
  uh uh *shaking my head* I'm not so sure that this is rare. If you take a look at past threads on this issue people are always wary of returning to naija because they fear for their lives and safety as it is common knowledge that people coming from yankee have huge target signs on their backs.
  Don't get me wrong I love nigeria, it is where I was born. But you just gats to be real, it is not a safe place to live for those returning from extended exile.
Re: Anyone In The Diaspora Willing To Return Home Now Is Nothing But An Opportunist. by tombola: 5:13pm On Aug 28, 2008
JeSoul:

my bad, no vex I thot you were angry from your tone of writing :-)
  So why do you think its such a bad thing for nigerians living outside to make money from naija?
To me it is just plain good business sense; see a need and take advantage. Long as it is legal and profitable, where's the beef?
  uh uh *shaking my head* I'm not so sure that this is rare. If you take a look at past threads on this issue people are always wary of returning to naija because they fear for their lives and safety as it is common knowledge that people coming from yankee have huge target signs on their backs.
  Don't get me wrong I love nigeria, it is where I was born. But you just gats to be real, it is not a safe place to live for those returning from extended exile.

nOT TRUE -

PEOPLE PUT THIS FEAR INTO THEM UN NECESSARILY - MY ENTIRE FAMILY GOT FED UP OF LIVING OUTSIDE NAIJA AND WENT BACK HOME ONE BY ONE - NOT A HAIR ON THEIR HEAD HAVE BEEN TOUCHED SINCE THEN. AND JUST LIKE MANY OF MY FRIENDS AND COLLEAGUES.
Re: Anyone In The Diaspora Willing To Return Home Now Is Nothing But An Opportunist. by JeSoul(f): 5:22pm On Aug 28, 2008
kobojumkie:

nOT TRUE -

PEOPLE PUT THIS FEAR INTO THEM UN NECESSARILY - MY ENTIRE FAMILY GOT FED UP OF LIVING OUTSIDE NAIJA AND WENT BACK HOME ONE BY ONE - NOT A HAIR ON THEIR HEAD HAVE BEEN TOUCHED SINCE THEN. AND JUST LIKE MANY OF MY FRIENDS AND COLLEAGUES.
Perhaps your family might be in the minority? Anyways we can argue either way. The bottomline is in general you're probably better off running your business from outside Nigeria than inside.

But you still did not answer this
"why you think its such a bad thing for nigerians living outside to make money from naija?
To me it is just plain good business sense; see a need and take advantage. Long as it is legal and profitable, where's the beef?"
Re: Anyone In The Diaspora Willing To Return Home Now Is Nothing But An Opportunist. by tombola: 5:45pm On Aug 28, 2008
JeSoul:

Perhaps your family might be in the minority? Anyways we can argue either way. The bottomline is in general you're probably better off running your business from outside Nigeria than inside.

But you still did not answer this
"why you think its such a bad thing for nigerians living outside to make money from naija?
To me it is just plain good business sense; see a need and take advantage. Long as it is legal and profitable, where's the beef?"

I am not saying it is bad - I am just wondering if it is not hypocrisy.
Re: Anyone In The Diaspora Willing To Return Home Now Is Nothing But An Opportunist. by SeanT21(f): 7:26pm On Aug 28, 2008
lmao@ op username!!!
Re: Anyone In The Diaspora Willing To Return Home Now Is Nothing But An Opportunist. by JeSoul(f): 2:27pm On Aug 29, 2008
kobojumkie:

I am not saying it is bad - I am just wondering if it is not hypocrisy.
Hypocrisy is not the first word that woulda come to mind, though I can see why you'd think that.

I would first think of the hundreds, maybe thousands of unemployed graduates that will now have a job becos of these businesses, or the overall positive effect the establishment of new businesses have in growing the nigerian economy, or the previously untapped resources that they're now taking advantage of or the previously unavailable products/services that they're now providing etc . . .
Re: Anyone In The Diaspora Willing To Return Home Now Is Nothing But An Opportunist. by tombola: 4:30pm On Aug 29, 2008
JeSoul:

Hypocrisy is not the first word that woulda come to mind, though I can see why you'D think that.

I would first think of the hundreds, maybe thousands of unemployed graduates that will now have a job because of these businesses, or the overall positive effect the establishment of new businesses have in growing the nigerian economy, or the previously untapped resources that they're now taking advantage of or the previously unavailable products/services that they're now providing etc . . .

Not true o - these people cart the money back to the foreign land - they dont pump it into the economy - just like the indians, chinese, south africans do - South Africans are the worst culprits - they milk our country and take the money back to their country.
Re: Anyone In The Diaspora Willing To Return Home Now Is Nothing But An Opportunist. by JeSoul(f): 7:57pm On Aug 29, 2008
kobojumkie:

Not true o - these people cart the money back to the foreign land - they don't pump it into the economy - just like the indians, chinese, south africans do - South Africans are the worst culprits - they milk our country and take the money back to their country.
sad in that case you're talking about a different brand of people than I assumed. But is this phenomenon just unique to the foreign nationals? If such a business is not profiting the local community in Nigeria while enriching the owner then sir your beef is def legitimate.
Only when such a venture was profiting the local people with jobs and a service would it be nice, but if it were just to take and leave, in that case I'm with you. Isn't this kind of whats happening with our oil? the local people don't see any of the money, just the suits and that's not right.

(1) (Reply)

You Can Be Have A Visa If You Believe It / Cheapest Airline / Best Airline To Uk / Interested In American Visa Lottery Come In

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.