Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,051 members, 7,821,619 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:50 PM

Zenith Bank's New Website - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Zenith Bank's New Website (1818 Views)

Royal Rumble! Paga Vs. Voguepay. Vs Gtpay. Vs Interswitch. Vs Zenith Global Pay / GT BANK New Website Look. / Access Bank's New Sharepoint Powered Website Review (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Zenith Bank's New Website by kisha009: 11:44am On Sep 03, 2008
Zenith Bank Launches new website. I think the website is really NICE! There are wonderful graphics on the page, check it out
Re: Zenith Bank's New Website by olush0la(m): 11:52am On Sep 03, 2008
Its good to see Nigerian banks putting in more efforts
at turning out good web content. I have seen the new Zenith Bank website,
I must say this, ASTOUNDING! I didn't know there were such talented
web designers in this country, You people should check it out,
www.zenithbank.com + I like the use of flash,
Re: Zenith Bank's New Website by smartsoft(m): 1:28pm On Sep 03, 2008
well the thing is if you pay good money, you get good fusions to your website,  but other way round then i'm sorry
Re: Zenith Bank's New Website by yawatide(f): 3:09pm On Sep 03, 2008
Well, far be it for me to put the proverbial sand in the garri but I don't see the big deal here.

Disclaimer: I never visited the old site and so I have no basis of comparison, design-wise

From a layout point of view, I think they could have taken more advantage of screen real estate. I mean, majority of online users browse with a 1024x768 resolution. They could have also centered the content area so that the right side wasn't "hanging".

A few other observations:
1) No form on http://www.zenithbank.com/contactus.cfm#email - besides, they could have grouped the branches together so as to prevent scrolling.

2) I filled out the form here: http://www.zenithbank.com/feedback.cfm, entered characters for phone number but the form submitted anyways. Not even back end validation

3) Each page has a big red rectangle as part of the header. To me, that's not necessary. They could save some real estate by at the very least, making it smaller.

4) I tried "eHellp". The window came up and I entered information, ready for a live chat. The window closed down on me instead

5) On FAQs page, it would have made sense to, once you click on one question, expanding its options, the other options close. Again, this would save real estate space: http://www.zenithbank.com/faqs.cfm

I will stop on these 5 make person no say I get bad belle cos, the developers probably put in a ton of time into this and most likely got paid beau coup money.

LESSON OF THE DAY:
Testing at ALL levels (unit, system and integration) is key to the success of any site. Having flashy things move around the site and dressing a site with a new skin isn't the only thing that defines a "better" site.
Re: Zenith Bank's New Website by olush0la(m): 5:32pm On Sep 03, 2008
Nice one, written like a well versed webmaster.
I checked out all you pointed out sha, but I feel dey would have had to use more
javascript to achieve all that you pointed out.
Zenithbank aside, I visited your site:
http://www.webmastersofafrica.com/
Lovely concept, but I think you need to do more adverts as the forum is kinda
sparse, get more people involved, so dat dey can run tutorials and all dat,
Nice one
Re: Zenith Bank's New Website by yawatide(f): 6:22pm On Sep 03, 2008
@olushola
1) So what is wrong in using javascript to "achieve all that"?  Isn't that the whole point?  You are to validate both on the front and back ends.  If they dodged using it for whatever reason, then they aren't worth their salt.  Period!  For someone to code a bank's site tells me that they should be pretty good at what they do.  No caution should be thrown to the wind, that's all.  They should use whatever to make whatever more appealing to the user and more user-friendly. You make it sound like using javascript is hard work. Come on man tongue

2) webmasters of africa isn't my site.  I am only a member.  Perhaps you should contact the guys involved via "contact us"?  Just wondering.
Re: Zenith Bank's New Website by webguru(m): 7:52pm On Sep 03, 2008
@yawa-ti-de
you are a good tester, you could set up a biz on that

i hear there are bizs like that overseas

id love to pay a tester if i get a major contract

jscript hard work simple copy and paste
wot are script libraries for; besides it wont do backend validation

its dangerous to nt validate, though i dont check for numbers/xters, bt i've never designed a bank site

On Zenith's site, like someone said; naija sites contain too much info and d zenith red doesn't look so nice

my browser screen is 640 * 800 at d cafe sha

mayb thats why d site looks stuffed

the learn more links on d animation doesn't seem to b working

Simplify!!!
Re: Zenith Bank's New Website by yawatide(f): 8:17pm On Sep 03, 2008
@webguru

Yep, there are companies making major pepper overseas doing nothing but testing. Per validation, you should always validate, whether its numbers, xters or both. Take email address validation for instance, a simple regex test can take care of that. Worse case, as you have said, just google for what you need, copy, modify as necessary and paste. That's all.
Re: Zenith Bank's New Website by olush0la(m): 11:10am On Sep 04, 2008
I'm so happy reading all these.
This is about the first thread that I have read on nairaland that has people
contributing professionally without it getting into an argument.

My statement about javascript was rushed and I didn't get to
completely state what I meant. Yes, they could have used javascript
or better: a jquery library so that the javascript used on the page will be
minimal. I personally, do not encourage the use of plenty javascript. It serves it's
purpose, don't get me wrong, but it could be a massive hindrance in many cases.
We are all talking as learned 'webmasters' right now, but what happens to the
average user? And what about cross browser and cross platform compatibilty issues?

I went forward and disbaled javascript and saw that the page still retained all its functions
AND the Learn More links on the flash actually work. See ehn, we are wrecking this poster's thread.
I think I should start a new thread called javascript: to use or not to use?
Do i trust that I'll see you guys there?
Re: Zenith Bank's New Website by yawatide(f): 12:10pm On Sep 04, 2008
It serves it's purpose, don't get me wrong, but it could be a massive hindrance in many cases.
We are all talking as learned 'webmasters' right now, but what happens to the
average user? And what about cross browser and cross platform compatibilty issues?

@olushola
Please explain yourself in reference to the above peradventure you again, rushed to state something. I will say this though, your last question can be answered simply as: Graceful Degradation and Progressive Enhancement. Check those 2 terms out before posting back here. Besides, that's what the various javascript libraries prevent.

As for seeing me at the javascript thread, sure, depending on how you frame the argument, I will be there smiley
Re: Zenith Bank's New Website by olush0la(m): 1:11pm On Sep 10, 2008
Yep, checked dem out as you said,
who are you? what do you do?
how can I find you and learn from you?
Cos you really know what you are talking about,
Do you like, have a website?
Re: Zenith Bank's New Website by yawatide(f): 3:34pm On Sep 10, 2008
who are you? what do you do?
I am yawa-ti-de. By posting in this section of NL, I think you can call me a web developer

how can I find you and learn from you?
Via my contact on NL

Do you like, have a website?
Yes, I like have one. Contact me for it.
Re: Zenith Bank's New Website by kisha009: 8:00pm On Sep 10, 2008
For moi, all big grammar my dear YAWA, all the degradation, enhancement tidbits. I agree a lil' with ‘Shola. No one is saying JavaScript should not be used but minimally. I quite believe that a site can be standard with little use of JavaScript. For a corporate site, I think people can do without some of the razzmatazz jscript offers and just provide the information people are looking for. I have used some websites in the past and with some of the “graceful degradation”; I can’t say I had a graceful experience cos my internet connection was not so fast and it look forever for the site to load. I think in this time and age, people are looking for functionality, aesthetics and an experience for using a site… I dare say a pleasant one!
Re: Zenith Bank's New Website by yawatide(f): 8:32pm On Sep 10, 2008
@kisha. The professor has spoken! grin
You sound like you are running away from something with respect to javascript but I don't want to assume so I will examine your statements one by one, if I may:

For moi, all big grammar my dear YAWA, all the degradation, enhancement tidbits.
If it's big grammar, get a dictionary. Where I stay (and hopefully it will be the same where you stay), if you don't use/know certain "big grammar", you won't be employed. It's such words that show you are keeping up with the latest technologies.

No one is saying JavaScript should not be used but minimally. I quite believe that a site can be standard with little use of JavaScript.
No offense, the first part of the sentence above sounds a bit like french so I will focus on the 2nd part - I won't argue with you on that one. I in fact have sites that use zero javascript. Just remember, when all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail. In today's web2.0 world, many sites use technologies that make javascript support and use a must. There is a reason why many argue that generally speaking, Nigerian sites made in naija are of low quality.

I think people can do without some of the razzmatazz jscript offers and just provide the information people are looking for.
razzmatazz? he he. providing ppl with information and providing ppl with a richer user experience are 2 different things.

I have used some websites in the past and with some of the “graceful degradation”; I can’t say I had a graceful experience because my internet connection was not so fast and it look forever for the site to load.
That, my friend, isn't graceful degradation. What graceful degradation means is, if the browser you are using doesn't support javascript, the site will function as if it never had javascript in the first place. Next time a site takes forever on your end, try either disabling images or disabling javascript. If after you disable javascript, the site still is taking a long time, it could be the massive amounts of tables and images that the site is using.

I think in this time and age, people are looking for functionality, aesthetics and an experience for using a site… I dare say a pleasant one!
Again, no argument there. I will add though that for the "experience" part, that is where richer internet apps come into play, many of which use technologies that are based on javascript.

Thanks
Re: Zenith Bank's New Website by olush0la(m): 3:40pm On Sep 16, 2008
Hmmn, I see the thread has grown. And it's still professionals talking.
Yawa-ti-de, please post a link to your website.
Meanwhile, guys, I didn't really pay attention to Nigerian Banks'
web design and functionalities, So, i went round and got some links,
Here, what do you guys think?

Check: http://www.accessbankplc.com/

http://www.skyebankng.com/

http://www.diamondbank.com/

http://www.bankphb.com/live/general/

http://www.gtbplc.com/

Javascript is really nice and adds a lot to the overall user experience,
BUT if used wrong, like in the case of gtbank and diamond bank websites,
It could kill the so called USER EXPERIENCE and we won't even have to consider graceful degradation.

PS. Invite more web designers and developers to join this thread.
I think we'll get to learn, really.
Re: Zenith Bank's New Website by yawatide(f): 5:08pm On Sep 16, 2008
@olushola
Of all you just posted, I say access bank's layout is the worst - sorry but the way the pages are opening/closing the way the site looks like one big square makes it look like a 419 site.  Thatz my opinion anyways.  If you want me to comment on functionality, thatz another bag of beans and just like anything extra, it costs money grin

For the best, it may sound surprising to some given what I have written above but I prefer Zenith's.  the only thing I have against them layout-wise is the red color.  I think it would have looked better if they toned it down.
Re: Zenith Bank's New Website by bug24(m): 6:16pm On Sep 16, 2008
@Yawa-ti-de

I quiet agree with you, the red is just too shouty.

can't really stare for long. opps!!! Where did i keep my specta cool!!! My eyes!!! my eyes!!! cry cry

For tampering with my eyes, am gonna post the link to Zenith's flash here:

http://www.zenithbank.com/images/images/flash/preloaded3.swf

u guyz have a download manager, just post the link there to download the flash and enjoy at leisure.

@ Tawa-ti-de

what security measure shuld the developer have adopted to protect the flash content from being dowloaded?
Re: Zenith Bank's New Website by yawatide(f): 7:00pm On Sep 16, 2008
@bug24
I won't even lie to you. I know NOTHING about flash and so won't even attempt to fake an educated response. I deal with JSP/PHP/Javascript (and its libraries, many of which have functions that can be used to mimic basic flash animations)/CSS/XHTML

Sorry
Re: Zenith Bank's New Website by bug24(m): 7:05pm On Sep 16, 2008
Alright, how abt the other developers in the house?

I try this each time i see a lovely flash content on websites , why is, i try to see if the developer has adopted a secured way of making it undownloadable by the public, but pabo ni gbogbo e jasi.
Re: Zenith Bank's New Website by webguru(m): 9:13pm On Sep 16, 2008
@bug24
why should a developer stop u from downloading flash since u can't edit it?

besides it will increase the band

i've never used a jscript library though i have jscript collections

Web 2.0. involves jscript

Seems banks do not allow developers to post links on their sites

I think access flopped cos it was trying to be creative, i love d creativity though

i love the others.

i prefer bank phb, zenith's red puts me off

Its a lot of work they all put in, nice.

im happy most use php smiley
Re: Zenith Bank's New Website by olush0la(m): 11:32am On Sep 17, 2008
There is a process of layering the flash movie (.swf)
in several flash containers. So that when RIPPERS*
steal or import your flash content and try to decompile it
all they get is the flash container.

But since the flash container will probably have a link to the
main flash movie, ha! (sighs*)

As per the banks, dem dey try (make we no lie).
I just hope they come to Nairaland and contract some of
us to do their web jobs.
Amen (big big money ooooo)

(1) (Reply)

Reviews Of Smart Web Ng Service. / The Worst Website Of 2011? / ⭐⭐ Official Sale: Get Any Themeforest | Codecanyon Item + License (N2,000) ⭐⭐

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.