Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,606 members, 7,861,868 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 09:42 PM

2 Kids Die Inside Parked Car, As Parents Party - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / 2 Kids Die Inside Parked Car, As Parents Party (1639 Views)

Poll: Who is guilty

The parents, for not supervising her children: 100% (2 votes)
The neighbour, for owning car.: 0% (0 votes)
This poll has ended

"I Don’t Feel No Remorse For The Death Of My Kids" - Mum Who Killed Her 2 Kids / Babysitter Spared Jail After Having Sex With 2 Kids / Couple Busted For Post-church Sex Inside Parked Car (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

2 Kids Die Inside Parked Car, As Parents Party by Nobody: 2:58pm On Sep 06, 2008

Tragedy struck over the weekend, when two kids were found dead inside a parked blue Nissan Primera car, at the Abesan Housing Estate, Ipaja.

The children, Timilehin Adewunmi, who celebrated his 4th birthday two days to the tragedy, and Olamide Ajibola, 3, were said to have locked themselves inside the car and suffocated to death.

P.M.News gathered that on the fateful day, the parents of the children, Mr. and Mrs. Gbenga Adewunmi, and Mr. and Mrs. Ajibola, had left the children in the former’s Block 305, Flat 4, residence, to attend the wedding of their neighbour, who resides at Flat 6 of the same block.

The two families left Timilehin and Olamide with Adewunmi’s first born, Toluwalase, 10, and went to the wedding at Mafoluku, Oshodi, oblivious to the danger lurking around the corner for their children.

pmcover-25-august-2008.jpg

A neighbour, Mrs. Joyce Abiandu, of Block 308, Flat 2, in Abesan Estate, had washed her blue Nissan Primera with registration number Lagos EA 685 EKY and parked it in her garage with the four doors opened, and went to sleep.

Investigations revealed that the playful children saw the car opened, entered and locked themselves in.

Narrating the incident to P.M.News, the father of one of the children, Mr. Gbenga Adewunmi, an administrator with FATMAK International Ltd., Ilupeju, said: “I went to my neighbour’s party with my wife and our only daughter, leaving Timilehin and my friend’s son, Olamide, with our eldest son, Toluwalase, and we returned to discover that the two children were missing.

“We organised a search party, but we could not find them. It was around the same time that my neighbour and family friend, Mrs. Abiandu, came out of her flat and was about to drive out when she discovered the dead bodies of the two kids at the back seat of her car. She quickly raised an alarm.

“I rushed to the scene and found my son in the car, carried him and discovered that he was stone dead, same with my friend’s son, who had only come to play with our son. I could not bear the sight, I ran and screamed,” Mr. Adewunmi narrated.

The case was immediately reported at the Ipaja Police Station (Alagolo), and Mrs. Abiandu, whose husband is in America, was arrested as the prime suspect.

As at the time of filing this report, Mrs. Abiandu was still in police custody, while the case file was being prepared for transfer to the SCID, Panti.

P.M.News gathered that the other couple (Olumide’s parents) have not been seen since the incident, as they were taken away by their relations. To make the matter worse, their phones have been switched off. Meanwhile, the bodies of the two kids have been deposited at the LASUTH Mortuary, Ikeja.

Pleading on behalf of the suspect in a chat with P.M.News, the father of Timilehin said: “Mrs. Abiandu is a good neighbour and she is not careless. Her son, David, and my son, Tolu, are classmates at Flourescent School. She should not be blamed.”

A similar incident occurred at Bodunrin Caulcrick Close, LSDPC Estate, Ogba, last year when three young girls died in a car parked in the estate. The girls, Success Solomon, 4; Aishatu Fofanah, 5 and Aishat Jakite, 3, were found dead in a car after a frantic search for one of them.

Findings revealed that the girls died as a result of suffocation, as they could not open the car, whose glasses were wound up by the owner who travelled to the United Kingdom nine months earlier.

http://nm.onlinenigeria.com/templates/?a=13413&z=1

na waooooo sad
Re: 2 Kids Die Inside Parked Car, As Parents Party by 4Play(m): 3:02pm On Sep 06, 2008
So why is Mrs Abiandu in custody when the Adewunmis & the Ajibolas are free?
Re: 2 Kids Die Inside Parked Car, As Parents Party by Nobody: 3:52pm On Sep 06, 2008
4 Play:

So why is Mrs Abiandu in custody when the Adewunmis & the Ajibolas are free?

Good question.

The parents of the dead children were criminally negligent.
Leaving kids that age unsupervised is just as bad as child abuse / neglect.
Re: 2 Kids Die Inside Parked Car, As Parents Party by brownbonno(m): 4:30pm On Sep 06, 2008
Legal system attributes responsibilities to every person,in this case the Lady in custody is negligent and own a duty of care to secure her car against any unwarranted access without supervision.(if you carry a minor in your car without a set belt,if the police stops you,you will be given a fine because the minor is not wearing the belt).The parents of the late kids will only be charge if it can be established that they abandon the children to go their party.
Law is awkward in some situation that is why you see warning signs like,beware of Dogs,No trespass,Car park at owners risk.
Re: 2 Kids Die Inside Parked Car, As Parents Party by coolier(f): 5:16pm On Sep 06, 2008
brownbonno:

Legal system attributes responsibilities to every person,in this case the Lady in custody is negligent and own a duty of care to secure her car against any unwarranted access without supervision.(if you carry a minor in your car without a set belt,if the police stops you,you will be given a fine because the minor is not wearing the belt).The parents of the late kids will only be charge if it can be established that they abandon the children to go their party.
Law is awkward in some situation that is why you see warning signs like,beware of Dogs,No trespass,Car park at owners risk.

I don't understand this, the car belongs to the lady and was parked in her garage. She just washed it and left the doors open to dry. As much as I feel for these two poor kids(God bless their souls), are you saying Mrs Abiandu has no right to leave her car opened in her own garage? Or is it her responsibility to keep vigil and keep an eye on other kids while their parents are partying?
Re: 2 Kids Die Inside Parked Car, As Parents Party by idupaul: 5:20pm On Sep 06, 2008
this is sad man angry angry angry
Re: 2 Kids Die Inside Parked Car, As Parents Party by brownbonno(m): 5:33pm On Sep 06, 2008
coolier:

I don't understand this, the car belongs to the lady and was parked in her garage. She just washed it and left the doors open to dry. As much as I feel for these two poor kids(God bless their souls), are you saying Mrs Abiandu has no right to leave her car opened in her own garage? Or is it her responsibility to keep vigil and keep an eye on other kids while their parents are partying?

If the car doors where locked as they are met to be when unattended the incident would have be averted.Vulnerable people(minors,insane) are highly protected by law.Even,if a trespasser crosses your garden, fall into a pit and break her teeth(lol),you are in trouble.
May the souls of the kids rest in peace.
Re: 2 Kids Die Inside Parked Car, As Parents Party by Cayon(f): 5:46pm On Sep 06, 2008
wow
Re: 2 Kids Die Inside Parked Car, As Parents Party by debosky(m): 5:46pm On Sep 06, 2008
@ brownbonno

how is she negligent? The car was parked in HER garage and left unlocked, She is in no way negligent.

Who says car doors have to be locked anyways? Is there an edict or law that says car doors must be locked when parked in your garage? There is absolutely no negligence involved here. Her car was drying in her garage - if some unsupervised children came in and locked themselves in, it is no fault of hers.

Its like saying you are negligent because have knives in your kitchen and a thief breaks in and cuts himself on your knife while rummaging through your drawers

That is perversion of the law. The primary point of negligence is the parents - they left their children unattended or with a 10 year old, who is in essence also a child, not for any important activity as such, but for a wedding.
Re: 2 Kids Die Inside Parked Car, As Parents Party by tRoOE(f): 6:29pm On Sep 06, 2008
brownbonno:

Legal system attributes responsibilities to every person,in this case the Lady in custody is [b]negligent and own a duty of care to secure her car against any unwarranted access without supervision.([/b]if you carry a minor in your car without a set belt,if the police stops you,you will be given a fine because the minor is not wearing the belt).The parents of the late kids will only be charge if it can be established that they abandon the children to go their party.
I wonder where did you got your law degree from shocked shocked what kind of poor judgement is this.
Her car/ her proprietor, she can do whateva she likes with it
The parent are the ones at fault for living their kids unsupervised,which is called child negligent 
Re: 2 Kids Die Inside Parked Car, As Parents Party by timbabng(m): 9:06pm On Sep 06, 2008
negligence cry cry cry cry cry
Re: 2 Kids Die Inside Parked Car, As Parents Party by Nobody: 9:56pm On Sep 06, 2008
It's the responsibility of the parents to keep their children under control.
It's the responsibility of the parents to keep their children supervised at all times.

The parents have neglected their parental duties, and are responsible for the death of their children.

Not an innocent neighbour.
Re: 2 Kids Die Inside Parked Car, As Parents Party by Outstrip(f): 12:44am On Sep 07, 2008
The parents of the children were negligent. The woman that parked her car in her garage has every right to leave her doors unlocked. The sad part is that that poor ten year old will probably be blamed for it. Both set of parents should be in custody.
Re: 2 Kids Die Inside Parked Car, As Parents Party by Outstrip(f): 12:47am On Sep 07, 2008
Na wa oh. I just readit again. They arrested the car owner? What nonsense? That woman needs to lawyer up. This is ridiculous. Senselessness in all its glory

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian "Yahoo Boy" On Fbi's Wanted List Caught In Sydney / Bird Turn To Human After Electric Shock In Lagos / The Cunningness Of Nairaland Serial Recruiter/dumper Abayomi Aje Kingsley

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.