Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,524 members, 7,819,886 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:59 AM

Should I Migrate Or Not - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Should I Migrate Or Not (1016 Views)

Top 10 Countries In The World To Migrate To / I Am A Fresh Graduate Of Medicine And Surgery,which Country Should I Migrate To? / Should I Migrate Or Remain In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Migrate Or Not by HAH: 1:05pm On Sep 07, 2008
Hi all am a guy of about 33 year old married with a child. I work in a bank in Abuja and I earn =N=9M pa. I am so worried about the future of my children that am thinking of migrating to either US or UK by 2010 this is not because am not doing well here, but because of the uncertainty in Nigeria, I am fortunate to be close to those in control of both the private and public sectors and the level of corruption is beyond what you may be thinking. And things just keep on deteriorating by the day. In short am losing hope as things just don’t work here and when I went to either the UK or the Middle East things are so perfect with minimal or no corruption. I need a sane enenvironment_
I need the advice of those who live out there should I go ahead with my plans, if yes how do I go about it and what are my chances of succeeding.

Thank you
Re: Should I Migrate Or Not by HAH: 2:44pm On Sep 07, 2008
Thank you Siena. i was in the UK even last months as a tourist with my family but i have not been to US but will try next summer. thanks while i wait for you to finish your research. cheers
Re: Should I Migrate Or Not by brownbonno(m): 3:37pm On Sep 07, 2008
HAH,

Since where in the UK on a visit would have given you a picture of the life in the UK and what you can expect from the labour.
Mine candid opinion is to diversify your interest there in Nigeria since you have got some connection with the private/public sector.My reasons are-
-You can make a savings to enable your children to school abroad and enjoy some privileges.
-You might not be able to get a job that will pay you about N9 equivalent for a start.Except you are ready to settle for less to gain experience.
-If so decide to come to the UK the highly skilled programme(Tier 1) maybe in your favour if you score 75point and have enough funds to start a new life here in the UK.Point Calculator on this site may help.
http://www.workpermit.com/uk/uk-immigration-tier-system/tier-1/general-highly-skilled-migrants/points-calculator.htm

Wish you the best
Re: Should I Migrate Or Not by IncaGold(m): 5:00pm On Sep 07, 2008
I guess everyone now sees the need for a saner environment. Just thinking about it properly, if you're concerned about the future then I guess you'll have to work extra hard so that your kids can afford to live outside Nigeria in the foreseeable future. It aint that rosy out there in the UK and US, i've met people you migrated and things went so well for them and vice versa. Remember if things dont work out it can affect you mentally.
Why not send your wife and kid(s) first? Or you take the bold step first without your family and see if things work out the way you want.
It's really complicated my brother, since i started travelling (UK, US, Canada, Germany, France, Italy etc) i've been exposed to the realities in those countries and i wont just say "migrate cos Nigeria is scrap" but i'll advice you to weigh your options properly. Dont be carried away by the fancy, serene and lovely environment cos those things dont come cheap.
Somethings i think you need to consider:
- Ease of getting a decent job (not cleaning and the likes)
- transferability of your current skills and demand for people with the type of skill you've got
- Your own retirement ( i guess you like a decent retirement and wont want to still be a hustler at 60)

Pray about it and let God direct you. All the best
Re: Should I Migrate Or Not by Tats(m): 5:56pm On Sep 08, 2008
Its difficult to say that you should migrate.

As @incagold had mentioned, you need to have transferable skills. Check for roles in websites in the UK and see if there are clear opportunities available for the kind of role you currently hold. If yes, then that is a good start. You can then consider applying for HSMP. Note that you could get a job in your field, but may not be paid as much as those with UK or European experience.

Relocating is a high risk and you should be ready to bear it. Now, what is important to you? if you want an environment without much hassles of living, then it may be worthwhile taking a risk. If you care about having excess cash, then you may not get it here because after paying your mortgage, you may not have much left. But remember that at the end of the day, the house is yours. Some of us took the risk and left high paying jobs and it paid off and our standards of living have not depreciated in anyway.
Re: Should I Migrate Or Not by HAH: 10:26am On Sep 09, 2008
Thank you very much for for your suggestions. i tried the UK High skilled migrant suggested by Brownbonmo and i passed from the from the trial. Please i need advice on US MIGRATION too. Please is there anybody with useful infomation on USA in the house. Cheers
Re: Should I Migrate Or Not by Tats(m): 11:47am On Sep 09, 2008
I am not aware that the US. have schemes where skilled people can migrate based on points like Canada, UK and Australia have. Usually people work in the US using H1B visas in which case an Employer files for the visa for you if they are very much interested in your skills (even if you are resident in Nigeria, but not very common since you are not present there). Another way is company transfer to the US, if your company is an international one and they wish to transfer you. Otherwise you might consider going for a Masters over there and hope to get a job afterwards and an employer files a visa for you. Finally, the good old visa lottery is an option!

(1) (Reply)

Thialand Embassy Requirment Needed / Us 2010 Diversity Visa Lottery Government Website / Anyone Living In Liberia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.