Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,304 members, 7,819,032 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:17 AM

Reorganizing The Literature Section: Share Your Work Subforum - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Reorganizing The Literature Section: Share Your Work Subforum (1052 Views)

The Literature Section Person Of The Year Award 2014 / Literature Section Awards 2013 / discussion thread for the literature awards 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reorganizing The Literature Section: Share Your Work Subforum by Seun(m): 12:01pm On Sep 08, 2008
Hello,

I want to reorganize the Literature sections of Nairaland as follows:
[list][li]Poems -> Share Your Work (Novelists, Scriptwriters, Poets, and All Writers)[/li]
[li]Literature -> Reading/Writing (Novelists, Scriptwriters, Poets, and All Writers)[/li][/list]

Can scriptwriting for video/TV be regarded as part of literature? What about nonfiction writing?

What do you think?
Re: Reorganizing The Literature Section: Share Your Work Subforum by nikinash(f): 1:49pm On Sep 09, 2008
I was just thinking this morning that the literature section is not all together together before i saw this post. yes i definitely think non-fiction qualifies as literature unless you want to separate them as "books", which might be silly really. I want to advertise my book for sale. Posting it in the ads section would not work for me.
Re: Reorganizing The Literature Section: Share Your Work Subforum by nikinash(f): 1:51pm On Sep 09, 2008
and yes i think scripts should also be a part of literature but categorized properly of course.
Re: Reorganizing The Literature Section: Share Your Work Subforum by kay9(m): 4:29pm On Sep 09, 2008
@Seun: Scriptwriting isn't really a branch of literature (the branches are drama, poetry, and prose - and prose is further divided into fiction and non-fiction). But since the majority of us here are budding writers - and thus, [i]script[/i]writers by extension (I mean, who wouldn't want a movie done on his book? smiley), I guess making scriptwriting a part of the literature section isn't a bad idea. But you'd have to make it a subsection, just like you did with "Poems". Otherwise, this section will be buried under a mountain of film-scripts within a week!
Re: Reorganizing The Literature Section: Share Your Work Subforum by Seun(m): 11:17pm On Sep 09, 2008
Otherwise, this section will be buried under a mountain of film-scripts within a week!
I doubt that. Nigerian writers (Nairaland scriptwriters) are not that prolific.
Re: Reorganizing The Literature Section: Share Your Work Subforum by ariblaze(m): 7:58am On Sep 10, 2008
please what criteria did you use to send my thread 'book of rants'

to dating and meet up zone?

please do tell me, does it look as if i am searching?

does any material in there suggest romance?

please i would really appreciate it , if you return it back to where its posed to be

thank you
Re: Reorganizing The Literature Section: Share Your Work Subforum by nikinash(f): 9:56am On Sep 10, 2008
Seun:

I doubt that. Nigerian writers (Nairaland scriptwriters) are not that prolific.

I absolutely disagree with you on that. Given that what we have been seeing may leave one to assume the worst, I'm convinced there are the real macoys out here. There just have been no real avenue for the expression of their very prolific abilities. Besides everyone is quite scared of the copyright issue.
Re: Reorganizing The Literature Section: Share Your Work Subforum by Seun(m): 4:16pm On Sep 10, 2008
My experience during the short story contest proves otherwise. Writers abroad are a more prolific.
Re: Reorganizing The Literature Section: Share Your Work Subforum by ariblaze(m): 4:24pm On Sep 10, 2008
thank you sir
Re: Reorganizing The Literature Section: Share Your Work Subforum by favcom(m): 4:56pm On Sep 10, 2008
Seun:

My experience during the short story contest proves otherwise. Writers abroad are a more prolific.
I think the prize money contributed to the near aparthy
Re: Reorganizing The Literature Section: Share Your Work Subforum by kay9(m): 3:01pm On Sep 11, 2008
@Seun: I'll only conceed to your argument if, by "prolific", you mean that writers abroad produce better works; that may be true, seeing that they are more exposed, have more opportunities, and are down-right better educated - yes, it pinches my pride but I gotta admit it all the same. BUT if, by "prolific", you mean that they turn out more works than their home-grown counter-parts, then I must say you have your facts twisted. Until recently - in fact, until guys like SeanT21 and ariblaze and Sisikill showed up - almost half of the threads here in Lit-Nrlnd used to read something like "Please read this", or "Chapter 1 of my book". Heck, I even posted some myself. And almost all of them were by home-grown writers. Mind, I'm not talking of the quality of the works, I'm only arguing the quantity. And don't forget that most "home-based" folks write with the good, old paper and pen - they can't even afford to type it. So, if you want to even the playing field, just ask for hand-written copies. But don't say I didn't warn you. smiley

Anyway, all this is about whether or not to start a new scriptwriter's subforum, right? I'm sure creating it will resolve all the bickering; trust me, Seun, you'll get so many posts, you'll start wondering if some people sleep beside their PC's. Just do me one favour - make a sub-subforum - like "Poems".
Re: Reorganizing The Literature Section: Share Your Work Subforum by Rosebud1(f): 3:47pm On Sep 12, 2008
Hi,
I think the idea to create a a share-your-work forum under Literature is a good one. I'll go straight to sharing mine bu before i do that, I must say I've been writing since I was twelve and right now, I need a good publisher or a good movie director for my works. Here are two excerpts from two of my novels. Enjoy and get back to me.

EXTRACT FROM TRUE LIES

CHAPTER ONE
JUNE 2003
The Bakares’ livingroom was a grand and luxuriously-furnished one. Rich beige carpet graced the wide floor, the glass windows covered by mustard-coloured drapes with gold trimmings on them. The side stools beside the coffee-brown leather sofas were made of glass and ivory. Two large-sized Picassos hung on adjacent walls and a grand-father clock showed the time as 9.00 p.m
Tolu sat on one of the sofas, uncomfortable under the reproachful eyes of her parents, but sure of herself and determined to win them to her side. Bridget Bakare, her mother, heaved a deep sigh, curving her lips as she clasped and unclasped her hands restlessly, the only distinct sound in the room being the gentle humming of the air conditioner at the far end. Tension grew so thick in the air one could cut it with a butter knife. After what seemed like an eternity, Gerald Bakare cleared his throat and spoke.
“Tolu,”
“Yes,dad.”
“Can you repeat what you just told us?”
Tolu took a deep breath and said, “Lanre proposed to me two days ago. He asked me to marry him.”
“And what did you tell him?”
Her eyes moved uncertainly from him to her mother, then back to him.
“I told him yes.”
“You told him yes,” he repeated quietly, shutting his eyes and nodding slowly, in mock approval.
Like a volcanic eruption, Bridget watched her husband’s temper slowly rise, though he was desperately making an effort to control it. She had lived with him for twenty-five years and always knew when an outburst was imminent, as one was now….

EXTRACT FROM UNTITLED

CHAPTER ONE
The electric kettle made a wheezing sound, signaling its content had boiled. Joe watched the steam gently rise, allowing the water to boil more till the on-button popped up and the wheezing sound faded gradually. He lifted the kettle and poured hot water into his coffee mug before he dropped it and stirred his coffee gently. He strode to his reading table, took a sip from the mug and placed it on the desk before facing his laptop once more……. His eyes moved back to the name on the pad before is cell phone rang again. This time, it was his mother.
“Good evening, mum, how are you?”
“’Evening dear.” She paused, knowing he could sense the sobriety in her voice.
“What’s wrong? You sound dull.”
”It’s you I’m worried about, Joe. Well, your father…, the both of you actually.”
“What is it this time?”
“The same, Joe. It’s just that he’s serious this time. He’ll be finalizing some things in his will and he’s determined about this. I can’t even talk him out of what he’s planning to do to you.”
“What exactly are we talking about here, mum?”
“Your inheritance,” she said shortly. “Or doesn’t it matter to you?”
He heaved a sigh. “I think I’m old enough to make choices. He doesn’t have to string my inheritance unto his own choices for me!”
“All he wants is an heir…, just a proof that you’ll settle down in life. Is that too much for a father to ask for?”
Joe bit his lip and said nothing. The picture of Uncle Acho sprawled out on the carpeted floor and writhing in pain from the effect of the cyanide flashed through his memory and he swallowed hard.
“Joe,” his mother persisted. “Lydia, your cousin is having her traditional marriage in two weeks time. I hope you’re coming down for the ceremony.”
He got hold of himself. “Of course I won’t miss it for the world.”
“Good. Just bear in mind that your father will be expecting a positive sign from you then before he finalizes his will. And listen very good— I don’t want you left out of it. Do you understand?”
“Yes I do.”…….
He dropped the phone on a pile of books on the table, shut his eyes and rubbed the bridge of his nose in thought,

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK!CIAO!
Re: Reorganizing The Literature Section: Share Your Work Subforum by yicob(m): 1:44pm On Sep 20, 2008
I dont like this restructuring OOOOOOOOOOOOOoooo. Please seperate the writing from poetry.
Re: Reorganizing The Literature Section: Share Your Work Subforum by jummiee(f): 3:35pm On Sep 20, 2008
@Rosebud1, hi, i'm neither a publisher nor producer, but i did enjoy d exercept from your stories, especially "true lies". All d best dearie.

(1) (Reply)

Behind All Youths Awards 09 : Dont Read This! / with this essay, shud I expect A in my last exam / True Life Story Of Janet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.