Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,844 members, 7,862,770 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 05:43 AM

Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (157) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) (517696 Views)

Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (A New Strength, A New Hope). / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (R.I.P Bawomolo). / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (154) (155) (156) (157) (158) (159) (160) ... (776) (Go Down)

Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by mukina2: 9:41pm On Jun 07, 2007
Speculation over the future of Thierry Henry will intensify after he slammed the exit of vice chairman David Dein, saying it 'wasn't a clever move' and he was 'devastated', while admitting he is flattered to be linked with a move to the likes of AC Milan.

In an exclusive interview with ESPNSoccernet Press Pass, the Arsenal skipper discussed his future at the Emirates amid talk of a move and bemoaned the loss of a man who, in tandem with manager Arsene Wenger, had been central to the Gunners success.

Dein left Arsenal earlier this year due to unreconcilable differences with the rest of the board, believed to surround the proposed investment from American businessman Stan Kroenke.

Henry was in no doubt about the effect of Dein's departure when pressed on his future following recent newspaper stories in which Carlo Ancelotti confirmed his interest.

Henry told ESPNSoccernet Press Pass: 'It's great to hear [being linked to AC Milan]. How can you not think that? On the other side as I said to you, and so many times at the moment, I'm an Arsenal player.

'Everybody knows that a lot of stuff happened at the club recently that wasn't supposed to happen. In terms of the departure of Mr Dein, the bosses have been unsettled and a lot of players have been unsettled in the club. So the only thing I can tell you is right now I'm an Arsenal player but hearing that is nice to hear, I can't deny it.

The Gunners' record goalscorer did not hide his disappointment at Dein's exit. He said: 'I was devastated. Everybody who knows Mr Dein, we know that the guy loves football. He knew everybody at the stadium, the name of everybody and I mean everybody at the club, whether you play for the youth team or you clean the dressing room - he knew everybody.

'He's the type of guy who used to turn up raining, snowing, windy, to watch the under-17s, the under-19s, the reserves - everybody - on his own at the training ground and one person that I wouldn't have liked to leave the board, would have been Mr Dein.

'But it's out of my hands, I'm not up there. I don't know what happened, and I don't want to know what happened.'

Henry's respect for Dein was further underlined by his opinion that he, with Wenger, has made Arsenal the club it is today.

'What I'm saying to you is that Arsene and Mr Dein, although no one is bigger than the club, are really close to being Arsenal,' Henry added in his interview with ESPNSoccernet Press Pass. ' If you ask me, they're the two people for me who come really close to ever one day saying it.

'But I would like to say that whatever happened, Mr Dein leaving wasn't a clever move.

'So far I'm here, talking to you, about a thing that happened that I didn't agree with but sometimes that's just the way it is. It happened, and we have to move on.'

Despite Henry's future in north London being in doubt, he sees the signs of recovery for an Arsenal side which has been off the pace in the Premiership in recent seasons.

'The potential is definitely there,' he told ESPNSoccernet Press Pass. 'The signs are definitely there. So now let's hope we can put that all together and bring back some silverware. Man United didn't win the league for three years and finally they did it - who would have said that 10 years ago? So things happen sometimes, you have to keep going and make sure you can be better and have a great season next season.'

Henry also admitted that the move to the Emirates made it difficult to compete: 'At the end of the day, everybody knows all of our resources went into building the new stadium. Therefore, you have to deal with what you have. So that's why I would like to give credit to some of the youngsters. Maybe if we don't have a new stadium, we would have done better and maybe have more players, I don't know.

'Sometimes you can't invent something that you don't have or create something that you don't have, so you have to deal with what you have. We're still playing good football, ok, not winning anything at the moment but you know, you have to give us that at least.'

Henry's interview
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by debosky(m): 9:50pm On Jun 07, 2007
the full interview will be on soccernet sports center today, I'm going to watch myself!!

all these clubs interested sef!, they should bring like 30million then Henry can go. if not, keep dreaming!!

@ AK even if Arsenal is rebuilding, we are not shipping out 7-8 players and getting a whole bunch of new ones, the main thing I meant is that we are in the CL and would give him a better chance to show off his skills
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by Akolawole(m): 9:57pm On Jun 07, 2007
Thats true Debo.

That money big but you got to spend as well.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by ayefele200(m): 9:59pm On Jun 07, 2007
i HATe ARSENAL, with passion, i love CHELSEA with my soul
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by Akolawole(m): 10:02pm On Jun 07, 2007
ayefele200:

Hate? cry cry cry

If i may ask, WHY?

I beg, remove hate jare.

Enjoy the games and the noise there-in.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by Imani(f): 10:12pm On Jun 07, 2007
debosky:

the full interview will be on soccernet sports center today, I'm going to watch myself!!

all these clubs interested sef!, they should bring like 30million then Henry can go. if not, keep dreaming!!

@ AK even if Arsenal is rebuilding, we are not shipping out 7-8 players and getting a whole bunch of new ones, the main thing I meant is that we are in the CL and would give him a better chance to show off his skills

I am beginning to think that if Henry wants to go, he should go. No one player makes a team. There was Anelka, Viera, Campbel, Pires, Edu, Cole etc all came , played and left when they wanted. The club still lives on.

No one person is indespensible. Remember Michael Owen. The year he left to Real Madrid to win "big things", Liverpool went on to win the Champions league and have been in the final twice.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by Imani(f): 10:14pm On Jun 07, 2007
ayefele200:

It is just a game. Even the players that have to face each other every other week dont hate each other!
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by nnenneigbo(f): 10:38pm On Jun 07, 2007
Imani:

It is just a game. Even the players that have to face each other every other week don't hate each other!
do u blame her for hating, inferior clubs are entitled to hate, it inspires them to aim high
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by mukina2: 11:01pm On Jun 07, 2007
@ NNe

ayefele is him and not her cheesy
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by nnenneigbo(f): 11:15pm On Jun 07, 2007
mukina2:

@ NNe

undecided undecided undecided undecided
my bad
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by ayefele200(m): 12:36am On Jun 08, 2007
mukina2:

@ NNe

girl please,
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by SirKay3(m): 7:15am On Jun 08, 2007
@ Akolawole,

No shaking about my email address. Dont forget to send your new email address to me.

Your shirt is still in my wardrobe @ home. Dont worry, you'ld have it anyday we see in Oluyole.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by nnenneigbo(f): 8:53pm On Jun 08, 2007
did anyone read the london paper today, henry is probably moving to italy. he said he's abit disillusioned with dein leaving and all that, and so are the other guys.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by mukina2: 8:58pm On Jun 08, 2007
nnenneigbo:

did anyone read the london paper today, henry is probably moving to italy. he said he's abit disillusioned with dein leaving and all that, and so are the other guys.

Nne it was on the story i posted yesterday cheesy i dont think he's leaving
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by debosky(m): 9:00pm On Jun 08, 2007
all these stories are coming out because there is no football to play, Henry will stay, unless someone brings a fantastic offer that Wenger cannot refuse.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by nnenneigbo(f): 9:05pm On Jun 08, 2007
debosky:

all these stories are coming out because there is no football to play, Henry will stay, unless someone brings a fantastic offer that Wenger cannot refuse.
i know but all he seems to say lately is, i'm still an Arsenal player. hmmmmm. if he goes i won't be too bothered, its just that i think the young guns need him for morale support
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by debosky(m): 9:08pm On Jun 08, 2007
he is simply using his clout to say 'look Arsene - you need to get serious and buy a few experienced hands, young guns - you need to step up your game and stop claiming youth alone' all that is to keep everyone on their toes so that Arsenal dont take anything for granted in the new season. I'm glad he's talking like that, let the other clubs dream of having him while we steal other transfer targets from right under their noses cheesy
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by nnenneigbo(f): 9:18pm On Jun 08, 2007
we need to invest, but i don't believe in paying over the odds for ordinary players, like certain other clubs in london we know. that won't solve anything
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by Imani(f): 9:29pm On Jun 08, 2007
If Henry wants to leave, let him go.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by afroking(m): 11:27am On Jun 09, 2007
WEll I dont think Igwe will leave, he still has 1 last point to prove that He's still wants that CL Trophy wit Arsenal b4 thinking of going anywhere.

Well let pray that Arsene gets his thinking cap on and buys players who'll give Man u and d rest better fight for next season.

Say as a mouth watering preview Emirates is holding a 4 club tourney (Emirates Cup) got Inter, PSG, Hamburg and their Hosts, Wengers boyz. sud be something to be great to watch holding in July check out arsenal homepage for details

Gunners rule 4 eva grin

Incredibly still King tongue
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by dinozzo(m): 11:59am On Jun 09, 2007
Middlesbrough have agreed a deal with Arsenal to sign French striker Jeremie Aliadiere in the wake of Mark Viduka's departure from the Riverside. Source; HERE. He was a big disappointment for us. Wish him well in his new club.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by dinozzo(m): 12:33pm On Jun 09, 2007
I don't know if this has been discussed earlier on but what do you think of our new away jersey grin

Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by Iman3(m): 1:17pm On Jun 09, 2007
Aliadierre has joined Boro-SkySportsNews
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by mukina2: 1:55pm On Jun 09, 2007
Debo and Loyiks  cheesy

Middlesbrough and Arsenal have agreed terms and conditions that will take striker Jeremie Aliádíère to the Riverside Stadium.

Boro's official website announced that a deal had been agreed in principle and that a deal would be concluded in the next two weeks, when Aliádíère returns from holiday.

"We tried to sign him in January but were thwarted by Arsenal's injuries," said chief executive Keith Lamb.

"He fits perfectly with the sort of player we are trying to bring in.

"He has pace and energy and he is young with his best years in front of him.

[url=http://http: //arsenal-mania.com/news/3104158/Arsenal-and-Middlesbrough-agree-Aliádíère-deal.html]Aliadiere[/url]
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by marlet01(m): 2:28pm On Jun 09, 2007
Yeah i got that news as well.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by mukina2: 3:07pm On Jun 09, 2007
as Clichy's week on the site gets to an end .

here's what a French Jounarlist had to say about our bestest left back

Julien, when did you first know about Gael?

"We started hearing from him in France when he played around Christmas while Ashley Cole was injured. He played a few games and was really good. That's when he started to have some articles about him in the French press. Then I came over to England and we met before the game at Chelsea, in the Premiership. He was outstanding and collected the man of the match award that day."

What is his reputation in France?

"Back home, he is seen as the next great French left back. Everyone, starting with Raymond Domenech, the France manager, is following his progress and he should get a call with the national team soon. The more he plays for Arsenal, the more people talk about him as well."

What are his qualities on and off the pitch?

"His qualities on the pitch are his pace, his technique, his positioning, even if he still has to improve in this area. He never stops running down his left side all the game. He also defends better and better in one-on-one situations. He is always listening to advices from older players, always trying to learn and to improve.

"Off the pitch he is a very kind boy, thoughtful, clever and curious. He has nice manners as well and he is good at Playstation although I beat him all the time!"

Has he been an adequate replacement for Ashley Cole?

"I think he was the ideal replacement for Ashley Cole. He showed he was throughout all last season. They have the same profile and the same way of playing. Gael learnt a lot from Ashley and you can see it from the way he plays. After all his injury problems, I guess people were questioning his capability of replacing Ashley. But I think that he was great last season, he played really well in more than 35 games.

"He will be even better next season because he will have had a proper preparation and feels now more confident after last season."

Where is he in the pecking order for the France left-back spot?

"I think that he ranks now in third place behind Eric Abidal from Lyon and Patrice Evra from Manchester United. He is only 21 (nearly 22) but the gap is getting closer and closer between him and the others. Domenech is thinking of calling him up and I think he will do so soon, especially if Gael goes on playing like he did last season."

Do you think he will succeed Patrice Evra as first choice in the next few years?

"I think he could become first choice for the national team. Abidal and Evra are good but Gael's game is more complete and he will keep improving. He needs to be more decisive with his crossing in particular. But with all the Champions League and Premiership experience he is getting with Arsenal, all the work he is doing at training, he will soon become he will soon become the best French left back."
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by Iman3(m): 8:30pm On Jun 09, 2007
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by mukina2: 8:40pm On Jun 09, 2007
comot here . with that ur yeye link grin tongue tongue
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by nnenneigbo(f): 8:51pm On Jun 09, 2007
mukina2:

as Clichy's week on the site gets to an end .

here's what a French Jounarlist had to say about our bestest left back

Julien, when did you first know about Gael?

"We started hearing from him in France when he played around Christmas while Ashley Cole was injured. He played a few games and was really good. That's when he started to have some articles about him in the French press. Then I came over to England and we met before the game at Chelsea, in the Premiership. He was outstanding and collected the man of the match award that day."

What is his reputation in France?

"Back home, he is seen as the next great French left back. Everyone, starting with Raymond Domenech, the France manager, is following his progress and he should get a call with the national team soon. The more he plays for Arsenal, the more people talk about him as well."

What are his qualities on and off the pitch?

"His qualities on the pitch are his pace, his technique, his positioning, even if he still has to improve in this area. He never stops running down his left side all the game. He also defends better and better in one-on-one situations. He is always listening to advices from older players, always trying to learn and to improve.

"Off the pitch he is a very kind boy, thoughtful, clever and curious. He has nice manners as well and he is good at Playstation although I beat him all the time!"

Has he been an adequate replacement for Ashley Cole?

"I think he was the ideal replacement for Ashley Cole. He showed he was throughout all last season. They have the same profile and the same way of playing. Gael learnt a lot from Ashley and you can see it from the way he plays. After all his injury problems, I guess people were questioning his capability of replacing Ashley. But I think that he was great last season, he played really well in more than 35 games.

"He will be even better next season because he will have had a proper preparation and feels now more confident after last season."

Where is he in the pecking order for the France left-back spot?

"I think that he ranks now in third place behind Eric Abidal from Lyon and Patrice Evra from Manchester United. He is only 21 (nearly 22) but the gap is getting closer and closer between him and the others. Domenech is thinking of calling him up and I think he will do so soon, especially if Gael goes on playing like he did last season."

Do you think he will succeed Patrice Evra as first choice in the next few years?

"I think he could become first choice for the national team. Abidal and Evra are good but Gael's game is more complete and he will keep improving. He needs to be more decisive with his crossing in particular. But with all the Champions League and Premiership experience he is getting with Arsenal, all the work he is doing at training, he will soon become he will soon become the best French left back."

Brilliant assessment
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by Mustay(m): 8:57pm On Jun 09, 2007
He 's never been an ersatz for OUR cole
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by mukina2: 9:13pm On Jun 09, 2007
Mustay what was that? angry tongue

you know the policy in this thread uh?
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by debosky(m): 9:21pm On Jun 09, 2007
I'm so glad Cashley left, Gael has had time to shine well, and he won't go around talking crap about his team members either.

good riddance to bad shyte tongue

(1) (2) (3) ... (154) (155) (156) (157) (158) (159) (160) ... (776)

Offical Bayern Munich Fan Thread: 6x Champions Of Europe / R36L Madrid - Most Successful & Greatest Champ15ns of Spain, Europe & W8rld / EPL Chatroom - All Discussions

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.