Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,351 members, 7,860,912 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 06:43 PM

Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (598) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) (517434 Views)

Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (A New Strength, A New Hope). / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (R.I.P Bawomolo). / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (595) (596) (597) (598) (599) (600) (601) ... (776) (Go Down)

Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by debosky(m): 2:52am On Jul 16, 2008
didn't you know Kit?I'm disappointed in you oh. Anderson is the one paying Jackal's school fees in London grin grin grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by DrKitaun(m): 2:55am On Jul 16, 2008
debosky:

didn't you know Kit?I'm disappointed in you oh. Anderson is the one paying Jackal's school fees in London grin grin grin

I thunk as much grin grin grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by Hannibal: 2:58am On Jul 16, 2008
@Dr. Kitaun,

Rooney is the best English player.
That dude can play football when he wants to. . . . . . . . . .
Opponents would rather have Wazza in their team than against him.
His energy, verve, awareness, vision, aggression, and the hunger to succeed surpasses any English player i know.

Pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase, Gerrard doesn't even come close.

@ Debosky,

Don't make me dent ur nose with a sledge-hammer.
Anderson pay ma school fees??
Try Alex Song paying yours.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by DrKitaun(m): 3:06am On Jul 16, 2008
I cant be bothered about ur rants;

the 2 links below answer ur queries on who is better tongue

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayne_Rooney

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Gerrard

but this Hannimal is funny sha grin Rooney better than Gerrard ? Lmaaaaaaaaaao oooooooooo grin grin

these weeds na die cheesy
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by dayokanu(m): 8:21am On Jul 16, 2008
Rooney? When SWP , Jermaine jenas, Peter Crouch are even better than him

Rooney? 14 international goals

Gerrard is best English player for now.

Shrek is far behind
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by Cesc04: 10:18am On Jul 16, 2008
As much as I would have liked G.silva to have stayed on,I think the offer from pana' was just too juicy for the guy to turn down. He did be the highest payed player in the greek league for crying out loud!

I think it's right we let him go, even though 2million quid is way too small and will do little to finance a replacement

Anyway,why hang on to the guy against his wish and risk Blatter accuse us of being slave masters running a boot camp like he does some other club we know of grin grin grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by Ibime(m): 10:39am On Jul 16, 2008
Best English players are Rio Ferdinand, Ashley Cole and Wayne Rooney easily. . . Gerrard is a pile of crap . . . . 7 years of playing utter rubbish for England and he is still coming out with the same excuses of "I am not being played in my best position". . . . They played him behind the striker in 2006 WC and he criticised Eriksson. Now he is playing behind the striker at Liverpool. They played him on the right, left, DM and CM and he is still flopping. Excuses, excuses . . . . the fact is that no manager ever trusts him as a conventional midfielder cos his positioning is awful. His touch is too loose and he can't dribble. Be it against Croatia, Russia or whoever, he just does not have the technical skill, first touch, dribbling or intelligence to control the midfield. Yet the English press always praise him to the rafters. It has become a no-no in the media industry to criticise him but IMO, he is the most overhyped player in the EPL.

Watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYHggzKlAi4
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by vicade(m): 10:52am On Jul 16, 2008
OUT: Lassana Diarra, Gilberto Silva, Mattieu Flamini, Jens Lehmann, Alex Hleb And hopefully Emmanue Adebayor
IN: Aaron Ramsey and Samir Nasri

I think we have a lot of buying to do because Rosicky and Van persie will probably be out from January till the end of the season so i only count them as half and half. Who Knows about eduardo Maybe half for him too. sad. William gallas might decide to cry again and we have nly salamity senderros as a back up.

The only good thing so far is that Cesc fabregas is not angry that all these guys are been allowed to leave.

, But ARSENE KNOWS cool

Rio Ferdinad to me has been the most consistent English player for the National Team and for manchester united. Closely followed by Seven Gerrard and wayne rooney-wayne has work rate and technique and all that but for some odd reason he does not score a lot of goals for both club and country at least he has never scored 20 PREMIER LEAGUE goals in any season and his goal record for the english national team is also not too good.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by Olumide7(m): 11:57am On Jul 16, 2008
It seems Arsenal is now interested in Xabi Alonso .
Amaury Biscoff has already signed for Arsenal He will be unveiled as an Arsenal player once UEFA decide how much compensation we will have to pay Werder Bremen. That makes it 3 players that Arsenal has bought, all midfielders, all we need now is one Striker and one defender.

Xabi Alonso will definitely be a good replacement for Matthieu and Berti. In my opinion, it would be better to go for Alonso than for Barry.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by sexyboy(m): 12:09pm On Jul 16, 2008
It looks like Gilberto is on the verge of departing us to join Greek team Panathinaikos. He is set to sign a three year deal which is more than we would have offered him so good luck to him.  He is the ultimate professional, doesn't complain when he is not in the starting eleven, doesn't demand stupid wages, gives his all whenever he plays. I wish him more luck than Diarra, Hleb, Flamini and all the rest of the ship jumpers. Infact I hope they drown while Bert sails to safety on his boat playing his mandolin.

So what does the loss of Gilberto mean to Arsenal? It means that we are now short on numbers in the center of midfield, something that you would have laughed at last season. We have lost Diarra, Flamini and Gilberto who are all defensive midfielders. Song has been moved to center back and will not play in the holding position barring an emergency. So it looks very likely that Arsene will sign a player in that position before the window closes. Apparently Bishcoff is already in and he is an attack minded midfielder and in my eyes Diaby is also an attacking midfielder, so Arsene will have his eyes set on bringing in at least one holding player. I still cannot envisage Arsene wanting to bring in the man with two first names for over £15 million. It goes against Arsene's philosophy and I do not expect that to change.

As much as I think Arsene would like Arshavin at Arsenal I am not sure that he would pay anywhere near the asking price so I think it is a problem that may not be resolved. Half the £24 million asking price and we could have a deal.

Alex Hleb is apparently having his Barcelona medical today before being unveiled to the press. Hopefully this is the end of the whole saga. Once the deal goes through I would expect Arsene to sign players when Hleb officially departs.

So what is this Xabi Alonso link about? That phone call from Pat Rice to Martin O'Neil to ask about the Barry situation would make a lot of sense if this was the case. I don't know what he is like defensively but he is a fantastic passer of the ball. At 26 would be an interesting partnership with Fabregas.

This is our Season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  wink
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by LuvMachin(m): 12:17pm On Jul 16, 2008
Diaby attacking midfielder?  he's supposed to be an attacking midfielder u mean, diaby that holds the ball so long that I sometimes want to hit my television set. I think Diaby should be a substitute holding midfielder this coming season.

The Alonso/Fabregas partnership in the Arsenal mid-field will be very great. The communication will be splendid since they are both spaniards and Alonso in my opinion will perform better than Matthieu did last season since he has strong capabilities as both an attacking and defensive midfielder.

I heard Adebayor was in training yesterday and might play against Barnet this saturday. Does this mean Ade might be with us this coming season? I hope so.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by Cesc04: 12:42pm On Jul 16, 2008
@LuvMachin

Bro,if thats the way you feel about diaby I can safely say I have bad news for you grin

This is 'cause I think AW's lining the guy up to take over the reins of holding midfielder,at least I don't see any other alternative at the moment.

Denilson's light weight, Song is off to the olympics with cameroon, Ramsey I wont mention for now,Djoroue is rubbish and Amaury Biscoff-well after two seasons of redundancy at bremen I don't see him figuring in the first XI anytime soon

So unless AW makes a bid for either Barry,Alonso or some other big name holding guy (and we're talking nothing less than 16/17 million quids here), I guess we're stuck with Diaby as first option! How I baulk at the mere mention of it.angry angry
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by Ibime(m): 12:45pm On Jul 16, 2008
Alex Song will slot into DM easily and will be talked about as a World Class DM on the level of Mascherano and Makalele within a year or two. Of that, I have no doubt. Infact, I want to see him at Chelsea more than anything.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by LuvMachin(m): 12:57pm On Jul 16, 2008
I don't have a problem with Diaby playing as Defensive midfielder this coming season because I know he might be able to make that position his own like Flamini did. How many people thought that Flamini would make the DM position his own before the start of last season? The only problem with Diaby is that he is too injury prone angry so we cannot rely on him. I'd rather have him as second option for the likes of Alonso wink/Barry or even Alex Song(when he comes back from the olympics of course).

And in case we don't sign any defensive midfielder(I pray that doesn't happen sad) our man Kolo Toure should be the man for the job, as a defender by nature he is disciplined (like Gilberto), he is energetic (like Flamini), he is strong in the tackle and can drive forward (like Patrick). wink

But who will replace him as CB? 

Does anybody have a clue if Wenger will be sticking to Gallas as captain this coming season?
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by loyika(m): 1:37pm On Jul 16, 2008
Anderson paying Chacal's school fees cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

cheesy GOONER 89

P.S. I wonder what favours Chacal gives back to Mr. Anderson cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by debosky(m): 2:24pm On Jul 16, 2008
@ loyiks

he's the love-vendor who organises the orgies for them - he uses his Brazillian connection to get the finest whores in South America for Nani, Anderson and Ronaldo. grin grin

Alonso or Barry?

Alonso would get my nod - more experienced, has won the CL and played in finals and would make Cesc more comfortable. Barry is also good, but with less experience at the highest level in Europe. Its likely that he will cost less than Barry as well.

But the rumor I heard today that gladdened my heart is that Eboue shocked shocked may be thrown into the deal to sweeten the offer to Villa for Barry to come over. cheesy shocked grin grin

I hereby declare that all gunners [b]pray and fast for a week [/b]for Eboue to go to Villa and Barry to come. grin grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by LuvMachin(m): 2:34pm On Jul 16, 2008
@Debosky

Why should it gladden your heart that Eboue would be leaving should Barry join Arsenal. What will happen if Sagna sustains an injury (God forbid) or he needs to be rested for important games, who would be his replacement? Hoyte? Would you rather have Hoyte as replacement for Sagna than Eboue? Yes Eboue is not the best right wing midfielder in the world but he sure is quite competent in the right back position.

Arsenal's major problem last season was Depth. Don't you think losing Eboue will be a huge loss in Depth especially in our defence department?

I'd rather pray for Alonso to come and Eboue stay.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by debosky(m): 3:03pm On Jul 16, 2008
@ LuvMachin

Eboue caused me a lot of heartache last season with his atrocious form on the wing, and given what I've seen of AW's tactics, he will likely continue to play there. Even when Sagna was injured last season, AW decided to play Kolo at RB instead of playing Eboue there, so I don't think his presence will make much of a difference either way, unless AW changes his mind.

I know he's competent at RB, but AW shows no inclination of playing him there, so I wouldn't mind seeing him go. Hoyte can be better if he's given more games IMO, and If Kolo will be the one to be shifted around defence, then Eboue staying is really not necessary.

Personally I'd prefer Alonso too, but If AW will keep playing Eboue at RM, then sell him and get Barry.

We have depth issues in defence, but primarily at CB, not at RB in my opinion. Strengthening the center will take off the workload Sagna and Hoyte/Eboue need to do.

Eboue is an annoying player - diving, slapping players and generally crossing like a MOFO. Makes me mad almost everytime I see him play.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by JUNIT1(m): 3:10pm On Jul 16, 2008
i cant believe you guys stil listen to rumors, alonso and barry are not coming to arsenal, so lets stop talking about something that's not gonna happen.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by Cesc04: 3:11pm On Jul 16, 2008
@Debosky

I prefer we add Hoyte to the deal for Barry than Eboue.Villa being so desperate for a right full back might just swallow the bait and help us get rid of our worst player since cygan!

While I remain least inline of Eboue's backers,we need to admit that the guy does atleast possess some defensive abilities we can make use of if sagna becomes unavailable.Hoyte on the other hand does nothing better than trip against his own shoelaces,only to get paid handsomely for doing so.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by LuvMachin(m): 3:16pm On Jul 16, 2008
debosky:

Eboue caused me a lot of heartache last season with his atrocious form on the wing, and given what I've seen of AW's tactics, he will likely continue to play there. Even when Sagna was injured last season, AW decided to play Kolo at RB instead of playing Eboue there, so I don't think his presence will make much of a difference either way, unless AW changes his mind.

Don't you think Wenger is not that Daft? Would he rather bench the likes of Nasri and Walcott for Eboue? Nope, I don't think so. Eboue should remain in Arsenal for a substitute role for Sagna.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by debosky(m): 3:26pm On Jul 16, 2008
He benched Walcott for Eboue for much of the season, with Hleb out, Nasri will play in that slot - with AW even defending him saying he adds 'balance' to the side, I see no reason why he wouldn't continue to play him. Walcott will likely be played more in the center next season as well.

Eboue's place in that team is one of the few things I find almost incomprehensible about AW. sad

Eboue should remain if he will be Sagna's sub, but I doubt if that will happen - lets wait for pre-season to start.

I want Hoyte to stay, at least he's English grin grin Eboue's absence will make Ade focus (if he stays) and think less of Makossa dancing in the parking lot. grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by vicade(m): 4:08pm On Jul 16, 2008
Cesc04:

@Debosky

I prefer we add Hoyte to the deal for Barry than Eboue.Villa being so desperate for a right full back might just swallow the bait and help us get rid of our worst player since cygan!

While I remain least inline of Eboue's backers,we need to admit that the guy does atleast possess some defensive abilities we can make use of if sagna becomes unavailable.Hoyte on the other hand does nothing better than trip against his own shoelaces,only to get paid handsomely for doing so.

Cygan definitely did not cause as much calamity as senderros has caused although senderros had a decent spell on our way to the champions league final back then. After that it seems that senderros just enjoys giving away goals. Senderros is somewhere among titus bramble,pascal cygan and jean alain boumsong- A rare mix of talents grin

I don't think Arshavin is good enough for arsenal. he is 27 years old and has won the russian player of the year only once. That i think shows signs of Inconsistency in his game and this was evident in the euros where he had two good games and he froze up in the third game. The money is club is asking for is just ludacris.

Alonso and Barry are good but will wenger pay so much for any of them? he might just buy another 20 years old defensive midfielder no one has heard of
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by Cesc04: 5:14pm On Jul 16, 2008
@vicade,

I don't think Arshavin is good enough for arsenal. he is 27 years old and has won the russian player of the year only once. That i think shows signs of Inconsistency in his game and this was evident in the euros where he had two good games and he froze up in the third game. The money is club is asking for is just ludacris.

I really dont know about Arshavin not being "good enough for arsenal" as you say.I have watched the guy over and over on u-tube and the only conclusion I can make for us not signing him (if we dont) is his age.

The boy is quick, skillful, strong, shoots accurately and most of all scores goals.Ok you might argue watching his best moments as pasted on u-tube isnt enough criteria to make a positve assertion of the guy,but then we know some managers who buy players based on it too grin grin

I can only suspect he had an off day in that game vs spain (all players do),with it raining elephants and hippos that night I wouldnt blame him though.

the bone of contention to me should be why a 27year old player, who hasnt had much introduction in the world stage (xcept for UEFA cup nd Euro '08) should be worth in excess of 24million pounds.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by Cesc04: 5:24pm On Jul 16, 2008
@Debosky.

I want Hoyte to stay, at least he's English   

And so are;Titus Bramble,Danny Mills,Micheal Dawson,Rio Fer, grin grin grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by vicade(m): 5:54pm On Jul 16, 2008
Cesc04:

@vicade,

I really don't know about Arshavin not being "good enough for arsenal" as you say.I have watched the guy over and over on u-tube and the only conclusion I can make for us not signing him (if we don't) is his age.

The boy is quick, skillful, strong, shoots accurately and most of all scores goals.Ok you might argue watching his best moments as pasted on u-tube isnt enough criteria to make a positve assertion of the guy,but then we know some managers who buy players based on it too grin grin

I can only suspect he had an off day in that game vs spain (all players do),with it raining elephants and hippos that night I wouldnt blame him though.

the bone of contention to me should be why a 27year old player, who hasnt had much introduction in the world stage (xcept for UEFA cup nd Euro '08) should be worth in excess of 24million pounds.

yeah. i have seen those videos too on youtube  and no doubt arshavin has the talent. The goal he scored against bayern munich in the UEFA cup was sheer class and his two good matches in the euros. However most of his other goals and skills were featured in the RUSSIAN LEAGUE.

Arshavin has the talent but when i say i don't think he is good for arsenal, can he produce the magic he  did in his  first two games in the euros  or his brilliance against bayern and rangers in the UEFA CUP  week in week out at the highest level at arsenal? I am not doubting the talent,skill,pace,shooting and dribbling ability of arshavin. I am only doubting his level of consistency and there will be no space in the premier league unlike the russian league and if you watch those youtube videos closely, Arshavin needs space to operate.

If he had an off day against spain when it really mattered then we can name him the new cristiano ronaldo who is also notorious for freezing up in the big games grin
and if arshavin is that consistent, how come he made his national team debut at the age of 21 and he is only starting to come to light even though he has been playing for zenith for the past 7 years. Something is not right and i doubt whether Arshavin can deliver week in week out at the highest level for us at the price that he is to be sold for.

R Arsene might make him into a better player which i will surely hope should happen cool as long as he also does not leave us when he becomes great
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by affinity: 6:16pm On Jul 16, 2008
arshavin cant come to arsenal i know that for sure ,
Roman wants him at chelsea and u know money speaks for him
so dont expect him at arsenal
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by A40(m): 6:32pm On Jul 16, 2008
I hate Eboue but i think Hoyte would be a better bait for Barry even though i am not too keen on Barry either i prefer Alonso bottomline we have sold too many players Hleb is gone he just passed his medicals i sincerely feel Wenger should buy more our problem last season was a thin squad and i sincerely hope it doesnt happen once again
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by A40(m): 6:38pm On Jul 16, 2008
I hate Eboue but i think Hoyte would be a better bait for Barry even though i am not too keen on Barry either i prefer Alonso bottomline we have sold too many players Hleb is gone he just passed his medicals i sincerely feel Wenger should buy more our problem last season was a thin squad and i sincerely hope it doesnt happen once again
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by nateevs(m): 7:50pm On Jul 16, 2008
How do you guys intend with the all your supposed big players you are offloading like this? Even if you had more players coming, there'll be too many players trying to get used to the football style and league while trying to remain competitive at the same time . . . You guys are sure not to win anything again? Nawa oooo
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by debosky(m): 9:08pm On Jul 16, 2008
@ nateevs

I would be tempted to believe your argument if I did not witness last season - we sold of our best player Thierry Henry, sold off Ljunberg, one of the most consistent players in our history, sold off Aliadiere, not to count the others like Seb Larsson and Fabrice Muamba. . .yet we managed to mount our first serious title challenge in three seasons. I don't think that happened by accident. Apart from Flamini, I do not regard anyone else who has left as that crucial to Arsenal. What we need to do is to make sure the additions are quality.

I am confident Vela and Nasri have the quality to add to the team immediately, and Ramsey over time will reach that level. We will buy at least one more (or two) player(s) before the end of the transfer season and we will challenge.

So essentially, last season we sold two top class first team members, just as we have this season (with one or two squad members) so as long as we bring in the right kind of additions and the fringe players of last season make the desired progression, we will challenge and likely win something this coming season.

Update: Hleb is finally gone cheesy On to new deals please. . . I can't wait to see Vela in the red and white come Saturday.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by Hannibal: 9:48pm On Jul 16, 2008
debosky:

@ nateevs

I would be tempted to believe your argument if I did not witness last season - we sold of our best player Thierry Henry, sold off Ljunberg, one of the most consistent players in our history, sold off Aliadiere, not to count the others like Seb Larsson and Fabrice Muambayet we managed to mount our first serious title challenge in three seasons. I don't think that happened by accident. Apart from Flamini, I do not regard anyone else who has left as that crucial to Arsenal. What we need to do is to make sure the additions are quality.

Stop saying u managed to mount serious title challenge??
Fucking Hell. . . . . .a trophyless season is a trophyless season!!!
Arsenal will be lucky to make Champions League spot this time around. . . . .Mark me words!!!!

Update: Hleb is finally gone cheesy On to new deals please. . . I can't wait to see Vela in the red and white come Saturday.

Hleb is gone?? grin grin grin grin
ADEBAYOR is next!!!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (595) (596) (597) (598) (599) (600) (601) ... (776)

Offical Bayern Munich Fan Thread: 6x Champions Of Europe / R36L Madrid - Most Successful & Greatest Champ15ns of Spain, Europe & W8rld / EPL Chatroom - All Discussions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.