Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,466 members, 7,816,092 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:15 AM

Newly Created Ministry Of Niger Delta A Secret Step To Scrap NDDC - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Newly Created Ministry Of Niger Delta A Secret Step To Scrap NDDC (2030 Views)

Guy Slams Mrs Aisha Buhari For Wanting To Scrap Child Marriage / Gov. Aliyu Of Niger State Loses Senate Election / Court Declares APC Candidate Winner Of Niger senatorial Election (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Newly Created Ministry Of Niger Delta A Secret Step To Scrap NDDC by seeu(m): 2:09pm On Sep 12, 2008
What role do you expect the newly created Ministry of Niger Delta to play when NDDC can still play same role?  Is NDDC going to be a Commission of its own or a Parastatal to this new ministry?  If it is a parastatal, the payment coming from the oil companies to the NDDC may come to an abrupt end.  There are some Nigerians who are not happy with the creation of NDDC right from the onset just because of the money that goes into the NDDC pocket and in order to stop the money, they now created a new ministry that will be tactically scrapped out when another government will be in place.  The game is that, if NDDC is scrapped out right away, people will criticize the government action, but in a way to stop NDDC and the money going there, new ministry is now created and will soon be phased out by subsequent governments.   Let NDDC remain separate while Ministry of Niger Delta still remains.   Whatever the motive is, time will tell.
Re: Newly Created Ministry Of Niger Delta A Secret Step To Scrap NDDC by bami1(m): 2:12pm On Sep 12, 2008
another cash draining pipeline with zero impact. angry angry
Re: Newly Created Ministry Of Niger Delta A Secret Step To Scrap NDDC by McKren(m): 2:17pm On Sep 12, 2008
Dont mean to be cynical

But there is no proof that this Ministry will succeed any better than most ministries in Nigeria.

I hope it does.
Re: Newly Created Ministry Of Niger Delta A Secret Step To Scrap NDDC by debosky(m): 2:20pm On Sep 12, 2008
I don't think it will be successful either - from the proposals, it will encompass all the developmental work going on in the ND - roads, infrastructure and the rest. Why do this and duplicate functions already taken over by specific ministries? How will these overlaps be handled?

Furthermore, the scarce funds available to the NDDC will now be partly used to fund another bloated bureaucracy that will make decision making even more difficult and increase the time needed to approve projects - essentially instead of just bribing NDDC officials, you now have to bribe MOND officials too.

Increasing the number of ministries astronomically is not going to help anything.
Re: Newly Created Ministry Of Niger Delta A Secret Step To Scrap NDDC by boyscout: 2:47pm On Sep 12, 2008
I think NDDC may still remain. Possible the bureaucratic structure will be similar to Ministry of Federal Capital Territory (MFCT) and Federal Capital Development Authority(FCDA).

That said, with two ministers (Which I expect to be from Niger Delta State-one which must be a technocrat and the other a politician), I think appreciable development will be seen though it will still leave room for more. Besides if the Niger Delta masterplan become a working document for the ministry then I think the neglect will have be addressed.

But, this is Naija where personal intrest over ride collective ones. Some people will surely try to mess things or slow it down as reports has shown many some people are benefiting from the crises so will want status quo. So since Yaradua has come this far,then I urge him to go further to make the ministry work and deliver otherwise it will be seen as cosmetic dressing.
Re: Newly Created Ministry Of Niger Delta A Secret Step To Scrap NDDC by bawomolo(m): 3:58pm On Sep 12, 2008
this could work if both ministries( i thought one was absorbing the other) can combined resources or it could backfire like the competition between the CIA and FBI before september 11. i have a feeling there would be an ego clash.
Re: Newly Created Ministry Of Niger Delta A Secret Step To Scrap NDDC by Eziachi: 4:30pm On Sep 12, 2008
Ministry of Niger Delta,  a brand new name for the failed OMPADEC and NDDC. Another pig with lipstick. Who said tomorrow regions that produce the bulk of other things like food won't start asking for ministry of Arewa, Oduduwa or Biafra?
Blind nation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Newly Created Ministry Of Niger Delta A Secret Step To Scrap NDDC by icemann(m): 4:48pm On Sep 12, 2008
so its no longer a parastatal,. Na wa oh
Re: Newly Created Ministry Of Niger Delta A Secret Step To Scrap NDDC by QuotaSyste(m): 9:16pm On Sep 12, 2008
You people are condemning this new Niger Delta ministry? The best thing to happen to Ijaws since slice bread, oooppps kai kai. Ok, wait until those of them in this nairaland pounce on you and your pessimism.
Re: Newly Created Ministry Of Niger Delta A Secret Step To Scrap NDDC by seeu(m): 5:49pm On Sep 16, 2008
I don't think any person will condemn the new ministry if it's not a mere duplication. NDDC is there already.

(1) (Reply)

Jonathan Is An Incurable Mediocrity / As A Senator In 1992, I Was Earning N6,500 Per Month / Sources Confirm Ademola Aderinto Was The Name Of The Protester Shot Dead In Cold

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.