Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,308 members, 7,819,051 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:37 AM

Can Malaria Be Eradicated? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Can Malaria Be Eradicated? (842 Views)

WHO Declares Ebola Transmission In Sierra Leone Eradicated / What Drug Can A Pregnant Woman Feeling Malaria Take ?? / A Cure For Malaria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Can Malaria Be Eradicated? by sofadj(m): 8:51pm On Sep 16, 2008
I've been thinking of this for as long as I can remember.

When I was younger, I used to come up with various ideas on malaria eradication.
Growing up i dropped those thoughts and faced more troubling problems of life.

But a year ago i was surprisingly asked this question in my VIVA exam "can malaria be eradicated completely?"
I paused to think for a while because my Lecturer could be very cunny and I replied "YES MA"

She was very surprised at my response and asked how possible,
I quickly diverted her attention by basing my response in hope,
I want to know what you feel and please prove it scientifically.
Re: Can Malaria Be Eradicated? by nigboy(m): 8:01am On Jul 17, 2009
Yes

It can be eradicated

If we can eradicate mosquito, we can eradicate malaria
Re: Can Malaria Be Eradicated? by Romeo4real(m): 4:05pm On Jul 17, 2009
If we can eradicate mosquito, we can eradicate malaria
@nigboy - Not really sure that would work. It is actually the Plasmodium parasite that causes Malaria, with Plasmodium Falciparum being the most dangerous. The Mosquito(Female Anopheles) is just a "vector" host, and humans are the "vertebrate" host. both are needed in the life cycle of the parasite.

Disrupting the reproductive cycle if the Female Anopheles mosquito in tandem with a concerted effort to eradicate the parasite is the key. Only female Mosquitoes bite and suck blood - This is because they utilise proteins in the blood for egg production. All Mosquitoes feed on plant nectar, but there is not enough protein in the nectar, so the females have to get it elsewhere.

The parasite can be eradicated through gene manipulation, but there is no guarantee that other types of the parasite that cause malaria in other animals would not mutate and "jump" species.

(1) (Reply)

I Need Ur Urgent Help / Any Cure For Receeding Hair/hairline / To Settle Here In Nigeria With #600,000 Or To Travell Outside With It?which One

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.